Metal Storm logo
Ozzy Osbourne - Takes Legal Action Against Tony Iommi

Posted last night on Ozzy Osbourne's blog.

Below is my official press statement on the official Black Sabbath trademark lawsuit. I am very saddened that I've had to take legal action against Tony. This is something that I've tried to avoid for years. I am not Geezer or Bill's voice. However, till the day I die I will not change my mind on this issue. The Black Sabbath trademark should be equally owned by Geezer, Bill, Tony and I as the true Black Sabbath lineup is Tony, Geezer, Bill and I. We've all been mates since school. I've always said there is an invisible thread that holds us together. Tony, lets get this ridiculous issue sorted and move on with our lives. You're 61, I'm 60. I hope that we've got a good 20 years left in us. But if not, God Forbid something happens to you. What's going to happen to the Black Sabbath trademark? Who's going to oversee it? Don't you think after we're long gone the rights should stay in your family, my family, Bill's family and Geezer's family?

Statement from Ozzy Osbourne:

"It is with great regret that I had to resort to legal action against my long term partner, Tony Iommi, but after three years of trying to resolve this issue amicably, I feel I have no other recourse. As of the mid-1990's, after constant and numerous changes in band members, the brand of "Black Sabbath" was literally in the toilet and Tony Iommi (touring under the name Black Sabbath) was reduced to performing in clubs. Since 1997 when Geezer, Bill and myself rejoined the band, Black Sabbath has returned to its former glory as we headlined sold-out arenas and amphitheatres playing to upwards of 50,000 people at each show around the world. We worked collectively to restore credibility and bring dignity back to the name "Black Sabbath" which lead to the band being inducted into the UK and US Rock & Roll Hall of Fames in 2005 and 2006, respectively. Throughout the last 12 years, it was my management representatives who oversaw the marketing and quality control of the "Black Sabbath" brand through Ozzfest, touring, merchandising and album reissues. The name "Black Sabbath" now has a worldwide prestige and merchandising value that it would not have had by continuing on the road it was on prior to the 1997 reunion tour. Tony, I am so sorry it's had to get to this point by me having to take this action against you. I don't have the right to speak for Geezer and Bill, but I feel that morally and ethically the trademark should be owned by the four of us equally. I hope that by me taking this first step that it will ultimately end up that way. We've all worked too hard and long in our careers to allow you to sell merchandise that features all our faces, old Black Sabbath album covers and band logos, and then you tell us that you own the copyright. We're all in our 60's now. The Black Sabbath legacy should live on long after we have all gone. Please do the right thing."

Source: ozzy.com
Band profile: Black Sabbath
Posted: 30.05.2009 by Baz Anderson

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 47   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 333 users
30.05.2009 - 15:33
Elio
Red Nightmare
This is gonna be in MS 09 Awards in the best drama category. I could bet my TV.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
30.05.2009 - 15:39
Lord_Regnier
Don't tell me those guys will fight each other one more time...
All those fights between them, it's so ridiculous. Each time they settle their disagreements, it lasts some time, then they start to fight again for some reason.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
30.05.2009 - 15:52
Hamird
Lieutenant
These old men are about to die, but still they're fighting..
30.05.2009 - 16:15
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Hamird on 30.05.2009 at 15:52

Let's see if you repeat this when you reach sixty...
30.05.2009 - 16:24
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Ozzy seems jealous of Heaven & Hell's success. No wonder, as he's not able to write good music anymore.
But maybe the 'legal action' idea is not his but Sharon's...
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
30.05.2009 - 16:43
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Daniell on 30.05.2009 at 16:15

Let's see if you repeat this when you reach sixty...

Why? Ozzy Osbourne is one of the Metal legends and he will remain a legend for ever. Why should he be concerned about Black Sabbath (trademark) while everyone will consider the Black Sabbath and Ozzy Osbourne as the first Heavy Metal movement. OK, let say Ozzy win the trademark. What he wants to do with this Black Sabbath. All great moments of Black Sabbath has been done..
Like Darkside Momo said, maybe it's a childish jealousy to Heaven & Hell.
30.05.2009 - 16:56
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Ozzy has enough money for 3 lifetimes already, what's he playing at?
30.05.2009 - 17:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Ozzy is idiok, I dontrespect him, lead singer aint no smart, Axl is best example
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.05.2009 - 17:43
Smurfophagist

the seductive power of money.....
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
30.05.2009 - 18:04
Lord_Regnier
Written by Bad English on 30.05.2009 at 17:33

Ozzy is idiok, I dontrespect him, lead singer aint no smart, Axl is best example

If you mean Axl is the definition of the word 'douchebag', I agree.

If you mean Axl is a good example to follow, then I totally disagree.

Hard to know what you mean for sure, with such awful english. No notion of grammar or anything. I can't believe you still haven't learned to write english after 22 000 posts. English is my second language, I'm almost entirely self-taught, and I write a hundred times better than you.
I wonder if you type so badly on purpose.
----
30.05.2009 - 18:15
Biedrik
*sigh*

Ozzy...
----
I'm selling metal posters! Ask me about them if you're interested.
30.05.2009 - 18:19
Nyxgrinder
Let them fix it with their fists ha ha
30.05.2009 - 18:23
Warman
Erotic Stains
I bet all this is Sharon's idea.
----
30.05.2009 - 18:55
Muhannad Saleh
www.jorzine.com
Its a god damn shame rlly .. its ironic how they made songs about wars and stupid things in humanity yet they do things even stupider and fight over nothing
30.05.2009 - 20:00
necrovamp
*SHAROOOON!*

ozzy is just under the thumb so to say
----
'I'd rather die than go to heaven' - Murderface
30.05.2009 - 21:56
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Valentin B on 30.05.2009 at 16:56

Ozzy has enough money for 3 lifetimes already, what's he playing at?

Thats what I was thinking. This whole thing has Sharon's name all over it.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
30.05.2009 - 22:18
Symmachus
Written by Lord_Regnier on 30.05.2009 at 15:39

All those fights between them, it's so ridiculous. Each time they settle their disagreements, it lasts some time, then they start to fight again for some reason.

What fights have they been in over the years?
30.05.2009 - 23:02
Carrion Misery
Written by Symmachus on 30.05.2009 at 22:18

This seems like it could be part of some bad 70s tv show. Where Ozzy and Iommi get in a fight for the first time in the 70s. Then that night, Ozzy gets visited by the ghost of heavy metal future. The ghost shows Ozzy that he can't stay mad at Iommi or else all will be ruined! Then the ghost brings him to the future.

*flash forward to the future w/ crazy evil 70s special effects*

Ozzy sees a decrepit, older version of himself say, "Iommi, you're using Black Sabbath's name without me in the cut! I'm suing you!" Suddenly, through a chain of unlikely events he ends up losing all his fans, friends and family. As he finds the error of his ways, he goes back to the 70s and tells Iommi how much of a mistake this little argument has all been and then they become best 'pals' forever. Then Ozzy says "Also, maybe we should stop doing drugs while we're ahead". Roll credits.

Ah.. the 70s..
----
? Carrion Misery
[url]www.mournspire.com[/url] | Two-Man Death Doom Project
Full album streaming
30.05.2009 - 23:21
Lord_Regnier

I never followed Ozzy and Black Sabbath closely, but I often heard of serious conflicts between Osbourne and Iommi. I wasn't talking only of disagreements between Iommi and Ozzy. What I meant is it seems there is always some fight between band members. When it's not between Iommi and Ozzy, it's between Butlerr and Iommi, or between Dio and the others, or Bill Ward that leaves one more time and come back one more time later, etc. What I meant is there is always some kind of strife or conflict in this band. Things never go smoothly and peacefully. Since the first time Ozzy left, there is always something that doesn't go right in Black Sabbath, as far as I know. This band has been quite of a revolving door for musicians during the 80s and 90s.
----
31.05.2009 - 00:06
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Elio on 30.05.2009 at 15:33

This is gonna be in MS 09 Awards in the best drama category. I could bet my TV.

My thought exactly
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
31.05.2009 - 00:18
tulkas
el parcero
Bad thing to see how a band such as black sabbath has to come to stupid things like this childish things... sad
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
31.05.2009 - 00:58
Magatouve
Account deleted
"Throughout the last 12 years, it was my management representatives who oversaw the marketing and quality control of the "Black Sabbath" brand through Ozzfest, touring, merchandising and album reissues. The name "Black Sabbath" now has a worldwide prestige and merchandising value..."

Ozzy I guess is overly speaking of Black Sabbath as a business. Of course a big band like Black Sabbath is a great source of income but it cannot be reduced to something that "management representatives" can bring up or down... Sabbath is a big name primarily because of their legacy.

Regardless of the details of the conflict, I think Iommi has devoted all his life to Sabbath.He might be "exclusivist" ( ) but he does not seem to be as greedy as Ozzy, if he is ever so, who is prostituting himself in silly reality shows to earn cheap money
31.05.2009 - 01:17
Shadowcross
The Summoner
I can understand his dig on that trademark.. but Iommi has done the right thing by using Heaven and Hell as the other band
I guess he's just trying to secure royalties for him and the other original band member's children and so on into generations.
31.05.2009 - 01:28
Lord_Regnier
Securing royalties for Ozzy's children?

They don't need more money, they're already more than enough fat and ugly. Hahaha!
----
31.05.2009 - 01:33
Symmachus
Written by Carrion Misery on 30.05.2009 at 23:02

This seems like it could be part of some bad 70s tv show. Where Ozzy and Iommi get in a fight for the first time in the 70s. Then that night, Ozzy gets visited by the ghost of heavy metal future. The ghost shows Ozzy that he can't stay mad at Iommi or else all will be ruined! Then the ghost brings him to the future.

*flash forward to the future w/ crazy evil 70s special effects*

Ozzy sees a decrepit, older version of himself say, "Iommi, you're using Black Sabbath's name without me in the cut! I'm suing you!" Suddenly, through a chain of unlikely events he ends up losing all his fans, friends and family. As he finds the error of his ways, he goes back to the 70s and tells Iommi how much of a mistake this little argument has all been and then they become best 'pals' forever. Then Ozzy says "Also, maybe we should stop doing drugs while we're ahead". Roll credits.

Ah.. the 70s..

Thanks for the humorous input.
31.05.2009 - 01:34
Symmachus
Written by Lord_Regnier on 30.05.2009 at 23:21

I never followed Ozzy and Black Sabbath closely, but I often heard of serious conflicts between Osbourne and Iommi. I wasn't talking only of disagreements between Iommi and Ozzy. What I meant is it seems there is always some fight between band members. When it's not between Iommi and Ozzy, it's between Butlerr and Iommi, or between Dio and the others, or Bill Ward that leaves one more time and come back one more time later, etc. What I meant is there is always some kind of strife or conflict in this band. Things never go smoothly and peacefully. Since the first time Ozzy left, there is always something that doesn't go right in Black Sabbath, as far as I know. This band has been quite of a revolving door for musicians during the 80s and 90s.

That makes sense, considering that post-Ozzy Black Sabbath had many line-up changes. Iommi has been the only guy to be in Black Sabbath all the way through. I wish the classic line-up would've released those new tracks they did in 2001.
31.05.2009 - 03:05
Eternal Flames
This indeed does smell like the work of Sharon.

"The Black Sabbath trademark should be equally owned by Geezer, Bill, Tony and I as the true Black Sabbath lineup is Tony, Geezer, Bill and I."

And that's why he is suing for 50 percent interest? This is ridiculous.
31.05.2009 - 07:33
Urizen367
For some reason i think sharon is behind all this. is anyone else tired of sharon popping up and ruining everybody's shit?
----
I will not reason and compare, my business is to create.
31.05.2009 - 08:19
Lord_Regnier
Written by Urizen367 on 31.05.2009 at 07:33

For some reason i think sharon is behind all this. is anyone else tired of sharon popping up and ruining everybody's shit?

Women are like that, you know. They never have enough money.
----
31.05.2009 - 16:43
ioannisk
Written by Lord_Regnier on 31.05.2009 at 01:28

Securing royalties for Ozzy's children?

They don't need more money, they're already more than enough fat and ugly. Hahaha!

let's hope that we will never ever see black sabbath being lined up by ozzy's kids

Hits total: 6926 | This month: 11