Metal Storm logo
Gaahl - In The Middle Of Black Metal Musical Controversy

Gaahl strikes again. The ex-Gorgoroth vocalist finds himself in the middle of another controversy, surrounding his appearance in a musical after restating his support for church burnings.

It all starts when Kristian "Gaahl" Espedal gets casted in a musical based on the concept album Svartediket, which was inspired by myths and legends of the lake Svartediket, located outside of Bergen, Norway. The "first-ever black metal musical" is scheduled to premiere on May 26 at Festspillene I Bergen (Bergen International Festival), an annual international music and cultural festival. The event will be held at Bergen's Den Nationale Scene, one of Norway's oldest and most renowned theaters which was founded to develop Norwegian playwrights. But now, the artistic director - Bjarte Hjelmeland - of the renowned Norwegian Den Nationale Scene theater, is reconsidering his decision to cast the former black metal vocalist for the upcoming "Svartediket" production.

Gaahl's casting has caused controversy in Norway, particularly as both Festspillene and Den Nationale Scene are heavily funded by the Norwegian state. Halvor Nordhaug, the Lutheran bishop in the diocese of Bjørgvin, seated in Bergen and covering parts of Western Norway, is especially concerned about Gaahl's previously published statements to the media in which he appeared to condone and support church burnings.

After Gaahl's involvement with the "Svartediket" musical was made official this week, the former Gorgoroth frontman once again reiterated that he views church burning as "acceptable".

"I have left my past behind, but I still have an anti-Christian attitude," Gaahl told the Bergens Tidende newspaper. "Christianity has no place in this country. As long as the church has the power it has and supports oppression, we shouldn't give the church any sympathy. Therefore I don't think it's wrong if it [church burning] happens again. The symbolic value of burning down churches is important."

Responding to Gaahl's remarks, Bishop Halvor Nordhaug told the Bergens Tidende newspaper, "Gaahl displays some scary attitudes by defending church burnings. He says nothing about the fact that human lives were lost during one of the church burnings in the 1990s. I think everybody, no matter what their religious beliefs are, agrees with me that his attitudes are scary, but it could still be possible that his role at Den Nationale Scene will provide him with some kind of legitimacy, which is unfortunate."

Artistic director Bjarte Hjelmeland - who is now under pressure from both the clergy and the organization of Festspillene i Bergen - says he will travel to Oslo to have "a long talk" with Gaahl about his statements to the media before making a decision on whether to allow the singer to stay involved with the musical.

"It is important, both for me personally and on behalf of Den Nationale Scene, to completely distance ourselves from the attitudes Gaahl has expressed in the Bergens Tidende interview," Hjelmeland says. "My beliefs are diametrically opposed to his. I pretty much grew up in church and consider myself a Christian. But I do not automatically dismiss people whose views I do not agree with.

I was not familiar with Kristian's past when I hired him to do "Svartediket". And I could not possibly have known that he would come out and publicly support these serious crimes. But the matter is not simple. We find ourselves in an ethical gray zone. It is difficult to invoke freedom of speech to defend Gaahl if his statements to Bergens Tidende can be interpreted as an incitement to criminal acts."

Source: roadrunnerrecords.com
Band profile: Gorgoroth
Posted: 16.01.2010 by Thryce

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 48   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 443 users
16.01.2010 - 14:42
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
I think if some churches are old and historical its really bad to be burned. but new churches dont make sense.
16.01.2010 - 14:45
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin

I guess it was time for Ghaals twice (or three times) annual provocative statement in the media.
----
16.01.2010 - 15:00
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Yeah. Gaahl said that the church is bad. Now he can't play in a theater
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
16.01.2010 - 15:23
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
This guy's got legitimacy up the ying-yang.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.01.2010 - 15:52
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Uirapuru on 16.01.2010 at 15:00

no he doesnt say its bad! a lot of ppl says its bad. he said I support church burnings and he said that he is keep his words about it again.
16.01.2010 - 16:19
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Another example of how pathetic Gaahl really is....
----
16.01.2010 - 16:23
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by [user id=31891] on 16.01.2010 at 15:52

no he doesnt say its bad! a lot of ppl says its bad. he said I support church burnings and he said that he is keep his words about it again.

Ok.. but he never actually did anything.. so he's just a crazy pussy. Not much to worry about.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
16.01.2010 - 16:25
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Uirapuru on 16.01.2010 at 16:23

Ok.. but he never actually did anything.. so he's just a crazy pussy. Not much to worry about.

how do u know he didnt! maybe he did some
16.01.2010 - 16:28
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by [user id=31891] on 16.01.2010 at 16:25

Written by Uirapuru on 16.01.2010 at 16:23

how do u know he didnt! maybe he did some

Impossible. He's a vegetarian, they all have peaceful nature

He may have assaulted some churches, since that's the most badass thing he ever did.
----

----
16.01.2010 - 16:31
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Uirapuru on 16.01.2010 at 16:28

Impossible. He's a vegetarian, they all have peaceful nature

He may have assaulted some churches, since that's the most badass thing he ever did.

I didnt know he is vegetarian it seems cool hehe
16.01.2010 - 16:48
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
A Man of words.I like him:necro:
16.01.2010 - 17:37
Slayer666
Are you fucking kidding me? Damn, Gaahl just keeps embarassing himslef.
16.01.2010 - 18:12
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
I hate musicals... I don't care what style of music it is. Maybe it will be a black metal version of Rent.
16.01.2010 - 18:28
Ernis
狼獾
Written by [user id=31891] on 16.01.2010 at 14:42

I think if some churches are old and historical its really bad to be burned. but new churches dont make sense.

I am really glad they're building a NEW church in my town although they have got very little money. But it's going to be a beautiful one and this part of town will also finally have a proper sacred hall of their own.

Million times more needed than building some more shops/night clubs/gay clubs/malls/war monuments etc...
16.01.2010 - 18:30
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Media whore alert! media whore alert!

gaahl in the news making "provocative" statements (words <<< actions) statements against a nice, safe target.

everybody, take a drink.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
16.01.2010 - 18:37
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 16.01.2010 at 18:30

everybody, take a drink.

I'll be having a few tonight I dare say.
16.01.2010 - 19:05
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
----
(space for rent)
16.01.2010 - 19:06
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Ernis on 16.01.2010 at 18:28

Written by [user id=31891] on 16.01.2010 at 14:42

I am really glad they're building a NEW church in my town although they have got very little money. But it's going to be a beautiful one and this part of town will also finally have a proper sacred hall of their own.

Million times more needed than building some more shops/night clubs/gay clubs/malls/war monuments etc...

you like to build and someone likes to destroy. and why? cause its not really needed in their opinion.
16.01.2010 - 19:16
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 16.01.2010 at 18:30

Media whore alert! media whore alert!

gaahl in the news making "provocative" statements (words <<< actions) statements against a nice, safe target.

everybody, take a drink.

hehe, it reminds me A Headbangers Journey. Gaahl was drinkin wine while tryin to say Satan, Freedom. but my question is why ppl are aginst him? cause he say hiswords so clear? we have a lot of bands which has really hard anti christrian lyrics. we have Varg who did it really and Jørn Inge Tunsberg for example.
16.01.2010 - 19:18
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 16.01.2010 at 19:05

what is this and what is the meaning of svartediket? svart is balck in swedish but dont know what is svartediket!
16.01.2010 - 19:25
thesabbathfan
Black metal musical? wtf?
----
16.01.2010 - 19:27
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by [user id=31891] on 16.01.2010 at 19:18

what is this and what is the meaning of svartediket? svart is balck in swedish but dont know what is svartediket!

Did you even bother to read the article?
----
(space for rent)
16.01.2010 - 19:33
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 16.01.2010 at 19:27

Did you even bother to read the article?

haha yes Ive read it, now I get it sorry.
16.01.2010 - 20:00
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite

[img]http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v457/JedHead/Svartediket.jpg[/img

Hahaha you have outdone yourself, with short notice too... bravo.
16.01.2010 - 20:46
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Here is a better picture. Thanks goes to Thryce for finding the dance troop.
----
(space for rent)
16.01.2010 - 20:50
Warman
Erotic Stains

I might be wrong here, but in Swedish that would mean something like "The Black Ditch". But I'm not sure if Sweden and Norway has the same word for diket/dike.
----
16.01.2010 - 20:57
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin

(singing)... "Hoooray for Gaahhlllywoood!"
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
16.01.2010 - 21:07
Symmachus
Come on, Gaahl. You didn't need to do that. Seriously, how much media attention do you need? You remind me of one of those American celebrities who have a knack for stealing media attention. How loathsome.

As for the black metal musical, I might supply a comment on that some other time.
16.01.2010 - 21:12
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I'm with the bishop on this one.. WTF is that guy thinking i have no idea.
16.01.2010 - 21:19
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Well isn't he just reiterating what they were already accusing him of before? Once it was made official I'm sure there was pressure into commenting on his previous comments. I know we all like to pick fun at Gaahl and his antics but you've got to realize it's probably more than just her pure evil spilling out. It's probably more like: one part media-whore Gaahl, one part asshole Church and one part nosy media and voilà! You have our news of the month.
----
The force will be with you, always.

Hits total: 10050 | This month: 20