Metal Storm logo
Multi-Genre and Genre Defying Bands

23.02.2012 - 23:15
thewaytonever
I am very interested in bands that break the genre barrier or lack a genre to truly classify them.
Examples:
Unexpect, In Vain, Into Eternity, and Akphaezya

If you know of any bands that fit this criteria please post a suggestion.
----
follow me on twitter @thewaytonever
http://www.last.fm/user/thewaytonever
24.02.2012 - 00:26
Zombie94
I always find Mastodon difficult to label under one category. There are elements of sludge, heavy metal and stoner in their music.
24.02.2012 - 01:27
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Shadows Fall.

Melodic deaththrashcore mixed with hints of reggae.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
24.02.2012 - 01:38
Lit.
Account deleted
Death

According to the genre list, Scream Bloody Gore to Spiritual Healing is typical death metal while everything from Human to The Sounds Of Perseverance is progressive thrash/progressive death with TSOP being completely progressive thrash.
24.02.2012 - 02:13
Uldreth
Try Colors-era Between The Buried And Me

One of the most ridiculous genre mixing I have ever heard and is pretty awesome.
24.02.2012 - 03:10
Sentinel65
Written by Zombie94 on 24.02.2012 at 00:26

I always find Mastodon difficult to label under one category. There are elements of sludge, heavy metal and stoner in their music.

That is the first band that came to my mind, also Opeth has death metal, with a softer acoustic side. Then there is their new album that is full on prog rock.
24.02.2012 - 03:53
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Look To Windward
Maudlin Of The Well
Todtgelichter
Obscure Sphinx
Soundarcade

thank me later...
----
rekt
24.02.2012 - 05:40
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
For multi-genre try Cormorant they mix many together such as traditional, black, melodic death, progressive, folk.
24.02.2012 - 06:23
Necrox
Agalloch. Need more be said? As for BTBAM, Colors was just boring, the only good thing was the leads and the laughable transitions.
24.02.2012 - 07:54
Edmund Fogg
Psygnosis
I have never heard anything quite like it. It deffinettly has some Metal influences, but it reaches in so many different musical styles that it becomes something apart from Music. (It's clear in my head).

Amogh Symphony
Pure music genius
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
24.02.2012 - 09:03
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by tea[m]ster on 24.02.2012 at 03:53

Todtgelichter

Good pick! :3

You'd probably like Stolen Babies, Yakuza, and Solefald, perhaps? And I don't know if you're familiar with Orphaned Land... Like Opeth, they're pretty subtle with blending genres but they are all over the place.
24.02.2012 - 12:15
Fredd
Account deleted
As the guys above me said: Cormorant, Between the Buried And Me, Sylosis, Stolen babies, Neurotech, and many more that I cant think of right now.
24.02.2012 - 12:17
thewaytonever
Awesome so far I've got some good suggestions. As far as Mastodon, Solefald, Aggoloch, and Opeth go I already like or love alot of what they do. As far as Death, Shadows Fall and Between the Buried and Me I could live without listening to ever again but still appreciate the suggestions. Cormorant and Maudlin of the Well are recent discoveries I have enjoyed an album by each and am looking into purchasing more from them in the near future once I digest Dwellings and Leaving Your Body Map.
----
follow me on twitter @thewaytonever
http://www.last.fm/user/thewaytonever
24.02.2012 - 13:48
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Transcending Bizarre?: If you like Unexpect you'll probably dig these guys.
Akercocke: Killing Joke playing a hybrid of progressive black and death metal. Nuff said.
Maudlin Of The Well: Combine an absurd amount of genres in the space of an album, such as grind, jazz, post-rock, ambient (checkout the 'Bath' album)
Farmakon: An alternative to Opeth. They mix progressive death and thrash metal with funk and lounge jazz.
Crotchduster: A joke band of sorts but they combine practically every genre, including rap and electronic music under the guise of brutal deathgrind. Lots of fun and very amusing.
Secret Chiefs 3: An avant-garde outfit that combine more genres than all the bands I mentioned previously put together. Immense creativity.
24.02.2012 - 14:32
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 24.02.2012 at 09:03

Written by tea[m]ster on 24.02.2012 at 03:53

Todtgelichter

Good pick! :3

You'd probably like Stolen Babies, Yakuza, and Solefald, perhaps? And I don't know if you're familiar with Orphaned Land... Like Opeth, they're pretty subtle with blending genres but they are all over the place.

I liked one of the customer reviews on Amazon for Stolen Babies: a mix of avant-garde metal, ska-punk and circus music. And I completly agree.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
24.02.2012 - 15:01
Slayer666
Written by [user id=4365] on 24.02.2012 at 13:48

Secret Chiefs 3: An avant-garde outfit that combine more genres than all the bands I mentioned previously put together. Immense creativity.

First album to check out? Sounds interesting from what I can gather. I'll doubt it's my type of music, but anything out of the ordinary is worth at least checking out.
24.02.2012 - 15:05
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Slayer666 on 24.02.2012 at 15:01

First album to check out? Sounds interesting from what I can gather. I'll doubt it's my type of music, but anything out of the ordinary is worth at least checking out.

I'd probably say Book of Horizons or Book M. There's only a few metal tracks here and there though, they're a band that incorporates metal into their sound, rather than a metal band that incorporates other influences, if that makes sense.
24.02.2012 - 15:08
Slayer666
Written by [user id=4365] on 24.02.2012 at 15:05

I'd probably say Book of Horizons or Book M. There's only a few metal tracks here and there though, they're a band that incorporates metal into their sound, rather than a metal band that incorporates other influences, if that makes sense.

It makes perfect sense.
Also, that would explain why they aren't featured on MA. Damn elitists.
24.02.2012 - 16:03
theFIST
I"m surprised Carnival In Coal hasn"t been mentioned yet
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:

24.02.2012 - 17:34
Oaken
Hipster
I'd second Agalloch. They mix black, neofolk, doom and post-rock.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
24.02.2012 - 19:32
PocketMetal
I'm surprised no one mentioned Diablo Swing Orchestra .
check them out .
24.02.2012 - 20:36
vezzy
Stallmanite
Check out 4'33" by John Cage.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
24.02.2012 - 22:19
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Slayer666 on 24.02.2012 at 15:08

Written by [user id=4365] on 24.02.2012 at 15:05

It makes perfect sense.
Also, that would explain why they aren't featured on MA. Damn elitists.

If you like them, check out Estradasphere. Similar kind of approach to music, just less "oriental" or whatevs. A couple members from Secret Chiefs used to be in the band. Also, Book M is a great album, so double-recommended on that one.
24.02.2012 - 23:18
Lit.
Account deleted
Would Devin Townsend be a good example, too?
25.02.2012 - 01:52
Paz
Elite
Naked City: mix of jazz, surf, classical, heavy metal, grindcore, country, punk rock and other genres.

PS. John Zorn is my favorite saxophone player.
25.02.2012 - 14:58
Iriki
How about System of a Down? Alternative? Experimental? Rock? Metal? Some people even dares to say that they are progressive...
25.02.2012 - 15:22
Zombie94
Written by Iriki on 25.02.2012 at 14:58

How about System of a Down? Alternative? Experimental? Rock? Metal? Some people even dares to say that they are progressive...

I'd say they're somewhere between nu-metal and alternative. Certainly not prog..
25.02.2012 - 16:13
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
SOAD is Experimental Alternative metal.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
26.02.2012 - 01:40
DevilBabi
I love Devin Townsend, but really, what can he be classified as?
He's a bit of everything really, He's a farking genius!!
27.02.2012 - 11:06
Cynic Metalhead
Ambrish Saxena
Written by Boxcar Willy on 25.02.2012 at 16:13

SOAD is Experimental Alternative metal.

Exactly, but I doubt it. They are 4 piece of pure Alternative Metal nerds who try to invade their "Hard Rock" tag back in 2000. Coming late release of Toxicity(which was supposed to be release in 2000 only!) proved that they are crazy alternative Metal stuff who have a lot of innovative ways to preach on. Nu-Metal? kinda but not exactly Detrimental acts.