Metal Storm logo
Album Style: Report Mistakes

17.06.2014 - 06:30
D.T. Metal
Staff
We now have the opportunity to style an album rather than adding a style to the band.

Example: Kreator is a thrash metal band, but since two of their albums were gothic metal, they also had the gothic style tag as a band. Now their style is ONLY thrash and the two albums in question from the late 90's are styled gothic.

If you come across an album which is not the 'normal' style for a band - please report it below. (see the Kreator example)
17.06.2014 - 06:40
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
In the immortal words of Ron Burgundy: "That is good news!"
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.06.2014 - 08:55
R Lewis
That's great, finally

EDIT: I don't see the field to edit an album's style, as the "album edit" page looks the same as before. Where's this feature supposed to be?
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
17.06.2014 - 09:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by R Lewis on 17.06.2014 at 08:55
EDIT: I don't see the field to edit an album's style, as the "album edit" page looks the same as before. Where's this feature supposed to be?

Underneath the line-up option. Maybe Ivan set it so that it requires specific permissions to keep regular users from constantly changing genres similar to how it's set up for featured bands.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.06.2014 - 10:07
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
I've been hoping this would be added for a while. It'll be good for stuff like the compilation albums (where is the black metal on Darkthrone's Frostland Tapes?) and stuff like Devon Townsend with widely varying sounds across albums, but 1 main style (Ghost is metal?).
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
17.06.2014 - 10:12
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.06.2014 at 09:47

Written by R Lewis on 17.06.2014 at 08:55

Underneath the line-up option. Maybe Ivan set it so that it requires specific permissions to keep regular users from constantly changing genres similar to how it's set up for featured bands.

I think you're right, I can't see any option there. Probably best to leave the final say on styles to the staff, otherwise we'll see albums going back and forth between 2 styles because the same people keep fighting over what it is.

Could we get a thread for requesting album style changes?
----
17.06.2014 - 10:17
R Lewis
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.06.2014 at 09:47

Yeah, that's probably it. Anyway, I think we should aggregate this to the album edit points or create a point system for this feature, so that trusted users can edit without bothering the Staff.
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
17.06.2014 - 11:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I cant see it either and I have all perns
all are green only 99999 + is not green (but I work on it)
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.06.2014 - 17:09
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Honestly I'd prefer if Ivan created a specific permission for album genre edits. On one hand we need to make it easier for Staff and Elite to keep up with all the albums in need of being changed, but on the other we need to avoid genre editing abuse (which is the same reason regular users don't have access to changing the styles of featured bands).
----
17.06.2014 - 17:21
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.06.2014 at 17:09

Honestly I'd prefer if Ivan created a specific permission for album genre edits. On one hand we need to make it easier for Staff and Elite to keep up with all the albums in need of being changed, but on the other we need to avoid genre editing abuse (which is the same reason regular users don't have access to changing the styles of featured bands).

Instead of creating a special perm, I'd just say to code that feature so anybody with Contributor, Elite or Staff on their account can edit that feature. This way we know that only proven, trusted people can edit it and we don't have to go through and add another perm to a bunch of people's accounts.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

17.06.2014 - 17:23
D.T. Metal
Staff
My bad guys and gals - I will move this topic to the general website discussion and change the OP so that when you come across an ALBUM who is out of genre for a band, you can report it here.
17.06.2014 - 17:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by psykometal on 17.06.2014 at 17:21

Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.06.2014 at 17:09

Instead of creating a special perm, I'd just say to code that feature so anybody with Contributor, Elite or Staff on their account can edit that feature. This way we know that only proven, trusted people can edit it and we don't have to go through and add another perm to a bunch of people's accounts.

who are trusted ppl?
----

apos;'
[image]
17.06.2014 - 17:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by D.T. Metal on 17.06.2014 at 17:23

My bad guys and gals - I will move this topic to the general website discussion and change the OP so that when you come across an ALBUM who is out of genre for a band, you can report it here.

it still means we also can add genres
like you said about Kreator
like 1988 - thrash
2006 -2007 gothic

can we do same in other simmilar bands still?
----

apos;'
[image]
17.06.2014 - 17:35
D.T. Metal
Staff
Written by Bad English on 17.06.2014 at 17:30

Written by D.T. Metal on 17.06.2014 at 17:23

it still means we also can add genres
like you said about Kreator
like 1988 - thrash
2006 -2007 gothic

can we do same in other simmilar bands still?

NO - this does not mean we will add the genres to the band itself. We will just add the genre (style) to the album itself and keep the band style pure. Unless of course a band totally changed their style and kept it after releasing the album. So, if Kreator would have kept on producing 'gothic' albums than yes, change the band genre to 'gothic' - but if there was just one or two albums which had different influences or sounds than - NO - the genre of the band stays the same.
17.06.2014 - 17:56
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
What Birgit said. Good examples would be Samael and Tiamat completely changing styles mid-career.
----

17.06.2014 - 17:59
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Trusted people being those who were promoted to higher than basic user status, like I mentioned in that same post.
----

18.06.2014 - 06:41
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Darkthrone - Goatlord and The Frostland Tapes, both death metal.
Devin Townsend - Ghost, progressive rock, ambient rock.
Lacuna Coil - last 3 albums, alternative metal.
----
18.06.2014 - 07:20
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by M C Vice on 18.06.2014 at 06:41
Darkthrone - Goatlord and The Frostland Tapes, both death metal.
Devin Townsend - Ghost, progressive rock, ambient rock.
Lacuna Coil - last 3 albums, alternative metal.

Darkthrone albums edited, Lacuna Coil profile edited.

Someone else will have to weigh in on DT though. I've never really listened to his stuff, but RYM lists that album as new age, ambient, and dream pop.
----
18.06.2014 - 15:11
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
I seem to recall Ghost being very ambient/atmospheric and having little to no rock. But haven't listened to some it came out; wasn't really my thing.
----

18.06.2014 - 16:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by psykometal on 18.06.2014 at 15:11

I seem to recall Ghost being very ambient/atmospheric and having little to no rock. But haven't listened to some it came out; wasn't really my thing.

You mean Ghost as in Ghost BC with Papa Emeritus II on vocals?
If so, that one is rock and on the last album even lots of pop and certainly not ambient/atmospheric
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.06.2014 - 18:45
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.06.2014 at 16:08

You mean Ghost as in Ghost BC with Papa Emeritus II on vocals?
If so, that one is rock and on the last album even lots of pop and certainly not ambient/atmospheric

No, I'm responding to Troy about MC Vice's suggestion for Devin's Ghost solo album. Lol
----

19.06.2014 - 04:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Ok ignore my post because I haven't heard it simple because DT nopwadays is a total boring dumbass with his music and that has been going on for quite a long time tbh
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.06.2014 - 05:58
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Celtic Frost - Cold Lake: heavy metal. Celtic Frost - Vanity/Nemesis: heavy metal, thrash metal (is there a term for light-thrash?).
----
21.06.2014 - 21:45
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by M C Vice on 21.06.2014 at 05:58

Celtic Frost (is there a term for light-thrash?).

Alternative thrash? That's what we've been using to describe Trivium's brand of more melody-based thrashesque music on their last several albums...
----

23.06.2014 - 12:02
Risto
Wandering Midget
Time to tidy up Metallica, then. Several albums with distinct styles there, I guess Alternative metal and Experimental rock need to get off the profile page.
23.06.2014 - 16:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Risto on 23.06.2014 at 12:02

Time to tidy up Metallica, then. Several albums with distinct styles there, I guess Alternative metal and Experimental rock need to get off the profile page.

'well we will see what new album will be like,w ho knows
----

apos;'
[image]
23.06.2014 - 17:37
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Risto on 23.06.2014 at 12:02

The profile has been cleaned up. Will get to work on the individual albums soon.
----
04.07.2014 - 10:55
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
How about Devin Townsend's Casualties Of Cool? Some combination of prog rock, country and blues I suppose. Bit atmosphericy/ambienty at times, but probably not enough to count.
Progressive country rock, perhapse?
----
04.07.2014 - 18:15
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by M C Vice on 04.07.2014 at 10:55

Technically it's not even a Devin Townsend album but I'll change it. Not sure it needs the prog tag to go with country rock from what I heard though.
----
05.07.2014 - 03:32
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.07.2014 at 18:15

Written by M C Vice on 04.07.2014 at 10:55

Technically it's not even a Devin Townsend album

I know, but there's at least 4 different acts in his profile, so...
Forgot yesterday, could his Ki album have blues or blues rock added to it? It's rather bluesy at times. (like a precursor to Casualties Of Cool)
----