Metal Storm logo
Opeth - Streaming New Track 'The Wilde Flowers'

Officially, Opeth's new album is only released on the 30th of September via Moderbolaget Records / Nuclear Blast Entertainment. But today, you can hear another cut from Sorceress. The progressive outfit surprised fans today by uncovering a new tune, the third to be released from the new record until now. If you're so inclined, enjoy "The Wilde Flowers" here and see if it's up your alley.

Tracks:

01. Persephone
02. Sorceress (streaming here)
03. The Wilde Flowers
04. Will O The Wisp (streaming here)
05. Chrysalis
06. Sorceress 2
07. The Seventh Sojourn
08. Strange Brew
09. A Fleeting Glance
10. Era
11. Persephone (Slight Return)
12. The Ward [bonus]
13. Spring MCMLXXIV [bonus]
14. Cusp of Eternity [live] [bonus]
15. The Drapery Falls [live] [bonus]
16. Voice Of Treason [live] [bonus]

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Opeth
Posted: 21.09.2016 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 38   Visited by: 314 users
21.09.2016 - 19:10
demonseed
Note to myself: forget Opeth!
----
A Servant in Heaven A King in Hell
21.09.2016 - 19:41
Gothmog_Motsham
What.The.Fuck...
21.09.2016 - 19:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I think better we nomibate Raspy to admin as play this song one more time
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.09.2016 - 20:02
Unhealer
Eclecticist
The only important thing here is Axenrot as the king, which is cannon with him being one of the only good things on this album. Even though the mix completely ruined the drums.
21.09.2016 - 20:14
Malignar
That was a long 6 minutes. Pretty good solo in the middle and drums at the end. I'm really trying to find something I like about it. Those were it.
21.09.2016 - 20:32
koob
Zzzzzzzzzzzzz
21.09.2016 - 20:34
AmooKia
I don't know why this band insists on shitting all over its legacy .. There're so many bands out there that stayed loyal to their roots but they've taken diverse and varied directions with their new records...
21.09.2016 - 20:48
3rdWorld
China was a neat
What I wonder is whether they still play those heavy dm/harsh vocal songs from their back catalog live or not. So if they do, then I really wonder why they seem to loathe to do it in the studio so much these days.
21.09.2016 - 21:08
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by 3rdWorld on 21.09.2016 at 20:48

What I wonder is whether they still play those heavy dm/harsh vocal songs from their back catalog live or not. So if they do, then I really wonder why they seem to loathe to do it in the studio so much these days.

They still do. The initial idea on their Heritage tour was to ditch all the extreme songs and play only songs with clean vocals, they did it for a few months but they stopped doing it eventually because Mikael got tired of seeing disappointed fans at the venues.
21.09.2016 - 21:12
Dave FC
The lyrics!
Unemotional song.
21.09.2016 - 21:24
Ghost, amiright?
21.09.2016 - 22:13
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by demonseed on 21.09.2016 at 19:10
Note to myself: forget Opeth!

Yup, it seems like this was the right thing to do for me as well.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass

Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.

21.09.2016 - 22:24
This is just lame. Akerfelt just destroyed Opeth for good, if I wanted to listen some corny hard rock son Alice in Chains is there.
21.09.2016 - 22:58
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by MoonReflection on 21.09.2016 at 21:24

Ghost, amiright?

Yep, sounds exactly like a second-hand Ghost song
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
21.09.2016 - 23:19
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
No growls, so it must be bad. People need growls. Why can't Akerfeldt understand that and give people what they need? Oh wait, he doesn't give a flying fuck. Good for him. The song is very good, so is the whole album.
22.09.2016 - 00:13
Nicko's Nose
Written by Daniell on 21.09.2016 at 23:19

No growls, so it must be bad. People need growls. Why can't Akerfeldt understand that and give people what they need? Oh wait, he doesn't give a flying fuck. Good for him. The song is very good, so is the whole album.

^This. Totally this. Loving the album.
22.09.2016 - 00:37
Nihil Aeternum
I love Opeth, I love clean vocals (especially Mikael's), but this is the low point ... or does it get even worse? This song has too much heritage. But hey, make the music YOU love.
22.09.2016 - 02:06
Fearmeister
Account deleted
King Crimson + Yes + Metal = yum
22.09.2016 - 02:11
Necrotion7
If you think of opeth as a new band since heritage and don't judge this against their old stuff this 3rd album should be their best
22.09.2016 - 02:56
FR1DAY
Yeah it does sound like a worse version of Ghost
22.09.2016 - 09:44
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Daniell on 21.09.2016 at 23:19

Literally two people mentioned growls, and the second person only did so in response to the first to let the first know that Opeth did do older songs on stage. Everyone else who doesn't like the song just thinks it's bad--I don't think it has anything to do with the lack of growls. I love all kinds of music that is devoid of harsh vocals, but this song really doesn't seem to be all that interesting to me, either.

Also, not sure if this is the case, but is the album out already? Did you get an early copy for reviews? You seem to have listened to the entire thing, since you said the whole album was good, but I was under the impression that this album wasn't released yet. Just curious.
----
22.09.2016 - 09:54
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Jaeryd on 22.09.2016 at 09:44

Literally two people mentioned growls, and the second person only did so in response to the first to let the first know that Opeth did do older songs on stage. Everyone else who doesn't like the song just thinks it's bad--I don't think it has anything to do with the lack of growls. I love all kinds of music that is devoid of harsh vocals, but this song really doesn't seem to be all that interesting to me, either.

I was precisely referring to those who complain about growls, either here, or anywhere on these forums.
I'm sure it won't mean anything to all those people and their newly found hate for Opeth (well, since Heritage), but the 3 songs that were revealed so far are not among the best on the album. But I'm pretty sure that it won't change much about the perception of Sorceress by such people.

I must add that I'm not happy that Opeth left their unique brand of, say, progressive death metal and switched to prog rock (or prog metal on Sorceress). They were unique in what they did, and now it's over. But I try to take their music "as is", without prejudice and my disappointment with their new musical direction affecting my perception. I hated and still hate Heritage. But Pale Communion, minus a couple of songs, is really really good. Sorceress is not that good, but still very enjoyable.
22.09.2016 - 11:38
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
It wouldn't be an Opeth thread with Daniell complaining about the people who are complaining about the lack of growls (even when there aren't any actually mentioning it) and informing us all how he approaches each Opeth album with an open mind and without prejudice. Just in case we all somehow forget.
22.09.2016 - 11:40
X-FrEaK
It is NOT about the growls. God fucking damn, Damnation is one of Opeth's best, its mellower and softer than everything post Heritage and it's still a MASTERPIECE. I repeat, ITS NOT ABOUT THE GROWLS, it's just the songwriting that sucks.
----
22.09.2016 - 20:20
demonseed
Written by X-FrEaK on 22.09.2016 at 11:40

It is NOT about the growls. God fucking damn, Damnation is one of Opeth's best, its mellower and softer than everything post Heritage and it's still a MASTERPIECE. I repeat, ITS NOT ABOUT THE GROWLS, it's just the songwriting that sucks.

Agree!
----
A Servant in Heaven A King in Hell
22.09.2016 - 23:55
Spawdophonik
It sucks and shouldn't exist
23.09.2016 - 00:09
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Spawdophonik on 22.09.2016 at 23:55

It sucks and shouldn't exist

Brutally honest, 100 % correct.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
23.09.2016 - 01:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=4365] on 22.09.2016 at 11:38

It wouldn't be an Opeth thread with Daniell complaining about the people who are complaining about the lack of growls (even when there aren't any actually mentioning it) and informing us all how he approaches each Opeth album with an open mind and without prejudice. Just in case we all somehow forget.

Qft
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.09.2016 - 07:59
Evil Chip
Well that was painfully dull
23.09.2016 - 12:32
musclassia
Staff
Yeah, I liked Will O The Wisp but this was pretty rubbish, as if someone wanted to remake 20th Century Schizoid Man, but boring. Hope there's at least a couple more songs like Will O The Wisp on the new album rather than this and the title track.

As far as Opeth goes, I know and understand people's disappointment with the way the songwriting is going (well at least insofar as the complaints revolve around their retro unoriginality and the lack of the emotion that used to embody their music, not so much the complaints about growls and blastbeats given how good Damnation and their other old soft songs are). But at the same time, the people who act so ungrateful as if Opeth have betrayed them and sullied their reputation are kinda disgusting - after spending 15 years releasing almost universally praised music (7 or their 9 albums are or have been in this website's top 200), I think they're perfectly entitled to write and release whatever they want without receiving such scorn and bitterness, even if that new music was completely rubbish (the new stuff isn't that bad, it's just mostly bland and sub-par compared to their back-catalogue). I think more than possibly any other band, they've paid their dues for the rest of their career with their Orchid-thru-Watershed music, and should have complete freedom to do whatever THEY want to do, just as their fans have the freedom to dislike and criticise that music without insulting the band and musician(s) that gave them so much pleasure in the past.

Hits total: 4322 | This month: 10