01. Screams From The Grave
02. Vicious Attack
03. The Enemy
04. Ace Of Spades [Motorhead cover]
05. The Living And The Dead
06. Stronger Than Evil
07. Don't Walk Alone
08. Game Of Death

In the early half of the 80s, speed and power metal bands were vying for thrash dominance, and among those were propped Abattoir from Los Angeles, carving themselves a significant niche. Despite having only two albums in their discography, Abattoir catapulted the speed metal scene across America and Europe. How so? What was the critical juncture for Abattoir? Vicious Attack, an almost EP-lengthed full album released in 1985.

It's imperative to mention the spearheaded lineup on Vicious Attack before we unwrap the intricacies of the album. Vocalist Steve Gaines shrieks with a powerful range perfectly fitting the frantic energy of the album; furthermore, guitarists Danny Oliverio and Mark Caro steal the spotlight with their blistering riffs and sharp, crispy solos shredding each track, glimmering and capturing our fascination. The opening track, "Screams From The Grave", is an unprecedented attack of speed metal packed with machine gun riffs and Gaines’ commanding vocals exhibiting ebullient energy. Speakers pulsate to neckbreaking anthems like in "Vicious Attack (Maniac)", following a crazy ride of dual guitars effusing anthemic solos and energy. "The Enemy" adds a slightly thrashier edge to the mix, focusing on melody while crushing all the way with relentless drumming and furious riffing. Then comes their cover of Motörhead's "Ace of Spades," conserving the original's epic and dirty touch.

"The Living And The Dead" takes a slightly slower, more mid-paced approach compared to the breakneck speed of the earlier tracks, but it still brims with fast riffs and a darker, heavier atmosphere. Gaines’ vocals here are more controlled, though he's able to scotch notes here, adding dynamic contrast to the album’s otherwise relentless pace. While th production of the album is serviceable, it can be inconsistent as well, and tracks like "Game Of Death" suffer from a gritty, somewhat murky sound that dampens the overall impact. It’s not terrible, but volatility does detract slightly from cacophony.

Overall, Vicious Attack is a stellar example of mid-80s speed metal mayhem. Abattoir delivers a juggernaut of speed and belligerence, making the album a strong recommendation for fans of the genre’s golden era. It’s brimming with adrenaline, adroit technicality, and enough memorable moments to keep it firmly in the realm of speed metal cult classics.

Highlights: "Screams From The Grave", "Vicious Attack (Maniac)", "The Enemy"

Written by Cynic Metalhead | 24.09.2024

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 11 users
24.09.2024 - 18:59
Blackcrowe
Another great vintage favorite… thanks for that remembrance
----
Invisible To telescopic eye,
Infinity. The star that would not die
24.09.2024 - 19:05
Cynic Metalhead
Ambrish Saxena
Written by Blackcrowe on 24.09.2024 at 18:59

Another great vintage favorite… thanks for that remembrance

My favorite too.

It was fun to describe the album, but sadly one of the bands that couldn't last longer.
24.09.2024 - 19:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Good one, seems this bands music us screams from the grave, forgotten band
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 88 | This month: 88