Metal Storm logo
Funeral doom

Original post

Posted by Damnated, 19.05.2006 - 08:49
One of the most underground style's of metal, with very talented bands. I have been listening to a lot of funeral doom lately, and I really like it. The slowness and the atmosphere is just amazing. My fav bands from this genre would be Shape Of Despair, Nortt, Worship, Remembrence, Pantheist, Tyranny, Skepticism, just to mention the daily bands. What about you guys?
27.07.2010 - 13:55
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Can someone tell me the difference between funeral doom and ordinary doom?

Though "Funeral" is the word that comes to mind when I listen to Cathedral's first album. Ive never heard anything so depressingly slow. lol
27.07.2010 - 14:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 27.07.2010 at 13:55

Can someone tell me the difference between funeral doom and ordinary doom?

Though "Funeral" is the word that comes to mind when I listen to Cathedral's first album. Ive never heard anything so depressingly slow. lol

cathedral's debut is quite uptempo compared to funeral doom. Funeral doom is a way slower death doom with a sense of funerals over it. Listen to Skepticism or Profetus to get an idea or to the funeral doom light sounds of Shape Of Despair, good although they don't come close to the funeral doom awesomeness of Skepticism, Unholy or Thergothon.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.07.2010 - 18:34
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.07.2010 at 14:02
cathedral's debut is quite uptempo compared to funeral doom. Funeral doom is a way slower death doom with a sense of funerals over it. Listen to Skepticism or Profetus to get an idea or to the funeral doom light sounds of Shape Of Despair, good although they don't come close to the funeral doom awesomeness of Skepticism, Unholy or Thergothon.

I just listened to Skepticism, and I found it slightly more uptempo than Cathedral's debut. In fact, I found it to be quite tuneful. Thergathon are very slow like Cathedral's debut. But yep, I can definitely tell the difference between funeral doom, and the doom played by bands like St. Vitus. Funeral doom is slower, like Cathedral's debut and the bands you just mentioned. It also seems to be a bit more atmospheric.

Thanx for your help. That was annoying me. lol
27.07.2010 - 21:17
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 27.07.2010 at 18:34

I just listened to Skepticism, and I found it slightly more uptempo than Cathedral's debut. In fact, I found it to be quite tuneful. Thergathon are very slow like Cathedral's debut. But yep, I can definitely tell the difference between funeral doom, and the doom played by bands like St. Vitus. Funeral doom is slower, like Cathedral's debut and the bands you just mentioned. It also seems to be a bit more atmospheric.

Thanx for your help. That was annoying me. lol

I think people always assume that funeral doom will be less listenable than other forms but I find that's rarely the case. Cathedral's debut is a good example, may not be as slow but it's quite a blunt, heavy unforgiving form of doom. Most funeral doom tends to leak atmosphere and melody in some form. Naturally there's lots of oppressive funeral doom that's harder to appreciate but funeral doom doesn't have to be a difficult listening experience.

You should check out Ea's - Ea Taesse (i think it's called that) or any of their albums really. Extremely listenable funeral doom caked in atmospherics
27.07.2010 - 21:39
Abattoir
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.07.2010 at 12:51

Written by Daniell on 27.07.2010 at 09:23

Written by Prugor on 04.07.2010 at 13:08

Fungiod Stream released a new album, Oceanus, six years after their first album. Listening to it at the moment, sounds pretty good.

I can't find it anywhere Where did you buy it?

Bittercold and I bought our copy at www.psychedoomelic.com imo the best distro around for all sorts of doom, be it on cd or vinyl.

By the way thanks for the hint. I just checked this site and it contains lots of good shit
27.07.2010 - 22:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=4365] on 27.07.2010 at 21:17

You should check out Ea's - Ea Taesse (i think it's called that) or any of their albums really. Extremely listenable funeral doom caked in atmospherics

It is called that
His other two albums are along the same line.

Btw other atmospheric funeral doom is of course Fungoid Stream , epsecially this year's Oceanus and also Krief De Soli's 2010 album great music.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.07.2010 - 23:37
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by [user id=4365] on 27.07.2010 at 21:17
I think people always assume that funeral doom will be less listenable than other forms but I find that's rarely the case. Cathedral's debut is a good example, may not be as slow but it's quite a blunt, heavy unforgiving form of doom. Most funeral doom tends to leak atmosphere and melody in some form. Naturally there's lots of oppressive funeral doom that's harder to appreciate but funeral doom doesn't have to be a difficult listening experience.

Yes, I can definitely see why less people would be attracted to funeral doom than regular doom. I love Cathedral, but Ive never liked their first album very much. I find it a trial to listen to it. lol In that respect, I would class it as funeral doom, because like you said, its very blunt, unforgiving, and far slower compared to their later albums. I'll give Ea Taesse a go though, I'll try anything once! lol xD
27.07.2010 - 23:58
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 27.07.2010 at 23:37

I'll try anything once! lol xD

Well in that case! *cracks fingers* =D
28.07.2010 - 20:01
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by [user id=4365] on 27.07.2010 at 23:58

Shouldn't that be "fingers crossed"? lol

Anyways, I found Ea (I cant see that name without thinking of EA Sports! lol) on Youtube last night, and gave that album a listen. I was actually pleasantly surprised, it totally wasnt what I was expecting at all. xD The atmospherics and melody made it very listenable. If I had one gripe with it, its that for the length of the songs, there wasnt enough variation to justify the songs being so long. It got a bit repetitive after a while, but I still enjoyed listening to it. Itd make good background music for when Im cleaning the house and stuff. hehe
28.07.2010 - 20:16
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 28.07.2010 at 20:01

Anyways, I found Ea (I cant see that name without thinking of EA Sports! lol) on Youtube last night, and gave that album a listen. I was actually pleasantly surprised, it totally wasnt what I was expecting at all. xD The atmospherics and melody made it very listenable. If I had one gripe with it, its that for the length of the songs, there wasnt enough variation to justify the songs being so long. It got a bit repetitive after a while, but I still enjoyed listening to it. Itd make good background music for when Im cleaning the house and stuff. hehe

Lol, Funeral Doom: music to clean your house to. I see a money-making compilation coming on...

Aye the songs certainly are lengthy, that's pretty much a staple for funeral doom but Ea's probably a decent place to start on the genre, and as you say it makes good background music
28.07.2010 - 20:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=4365] on 28.07.2010 at 20:16

Lol, Funeral Doom: music to clean your house to. I see a money-making compilation coming on...

Aye the songs certainly are lengthy, that's pretty much a staple for funeral doom but Ea's probably a decent place to start on the genre, and as you say it makes good background music

The only funeral doom I can think of with short songs is Thergothon. And well, Ea might have long songs in the opinion of Angelic Storm but there are bands around that have longer songs
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.07.2010 - 20:47
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by [user id=4365] on 28.07.2010 at 20:16

hahaha! That actually made me laugh out loud!

I actually love long songs, but they need to have enough variation to hold my attention. The music was actually very good, but it dragged on a bit longer than it should have. Yeah, it does make good background music. lol xD

@Marcel: I discovered that the "songs" on Ea Taesse are actually just one 55 minute song split into three different parts. 55 minutes for a song is considered "short" in funeral doom? You're having a laugh surely?!
28.07.2010 - 21:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 28.07.2010 at 20:47

@Marcel: I discovered that the "songs" on Ea Taesse are actually just one 55 minute song split into three different parts. 55 minutes for a song is considered "short" in funeral doom? You're having a laugh surely?!

I don't know where MA got the idea from it is one song split in three. I have the original cd at home and there it is three songs as well, with a short pause in between each song.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.07.2010 - 21:18
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.07.2010 at 21:07
I don't know where MA got the idea from it is one song split in three. I have the original cd at home and there it is three songs as well, with a short pause in between each song.

Geez... You'd think for a site that prides itself on being an authority in all things metal, they'd get their facts straight before allowing false album info onto the site.
28.07.2010 - 21:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 28.07.2010 at 21:18

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.07.2010 at 21:07

Geez... You'd think for a site that prides itself on being an authority in all things metal, they'd get their facts straight before allowing false album info onto the site.

I have seen all sorts of weird shit pop up on there. Like for example that metallica had more than two fficial demos before Kill 'em All, I even once sawa Celtic Frost demo mentioned there as well as a Bathory one, when in fact those two have never ever released a demo. Quite often you see live bootlegs in the discography of bands as well. Wrong release dates... Altar Of Plagues - Tides springs to mind where they say the release date is April 1st when iin fact Tides was first sold anywhere on April 15 at Roadburn Festival.
Etc etc...
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.07.2010 - 22:39
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Yep, MA are a bit slack when it comes to enforcing its rules. Like, in their rules for submitting album reviews, there's supposed to be certain criteria that an album review is supposed to meet. Yet Ive seen several that fall way short of that criteria. For a site that claims to be the authority it does, its not run very efficiently.

Could you not submit the correct album details for Ea Taesse to MA? xD
28.07.2010 - 22:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 28.07.2010 at 22:39

Yep, MA are a bit slack when it comes to enforcing its rules. Like, in their rules for submitting album reviews, there's supposed to be certain criteria that an album review is supposed to meet. Yet Ive seen several that fall way short of that criteria. For a site that claims to be the authority it does, its not run very efficiently.

Could you not submit the correct album details for Ea Taesse to MA? xD

I refuse to submit stuff to a site that tries to dictate what is metal and what isn't
Like f.e. no The Dillinger Escape Plan, but Burnt By The Sun all the way from their inception. And there are loads of other examples to be found.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.07.2010 - 23:04
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I kinda wish MA was a bit more like Metacritic whereby instead of having fan reviews as the main scoring system they could get reviews from the best publications, both web and magazine and have average scores that way and have fan reviews as a sub-section.

Doesn't relate to what you guys were talking about but what the hey.
28.07.2010 - 23:05
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.07.2010 at 22:42
I refuse to submit stuff to a site that tries to dictate what is metal and what isn't
Like f.e. no The Dillinger Escape Plan, but Burnt By The Sun all the way from their inception. And there are loads of other examples to be found.

lol I dont blame you! I can't stand the elitism and air of superiority of most of the people who run that site. While there are a small amount of members on this site who are also like that, its definitely not as prevelant as it is on MA. Metal Storm may not be as widely recognised as MA, but I think its definitely the better site, and has way more credibility. xD

f.e. no The Dillinger Escape plan? What's "f.e."?
28.07.2010 - 23:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 28.07.2010 at 23:05

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.07.2010 at 22:42

lol I dont blame you! I can't stand the elitism and air of superiority of most of the people who run that site. While there are a small amount of members on this site who are also like that, its definitely not as prevelant as it is on MA. Metal Storm may not be as widely recognised as MA, but I think its definitely the better site, and has way more credibility. xD

f.e. no The Dillinger Escape plan? What's "f.e."?

"f.e." = for example
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.07.2010 - 23:26
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.07.2010 at 23:06
"f.e." = for example

Oh! lol I cant believe I couldnt guess that... Now I feel like a total eejit.

I take it by that you meant The Dillinger Escape plan aren't metal, so shouldnt be on the site? I cant comment, cos Ive never heard them. You are right though about there being plenty of examples of bands who shouldnt be there, and bands should be there but arent accepted.
28.07.2010 - 23:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 28.07.2010 at 23:26

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.07.2010 at 23:06
"f.e." = for example

Oh! lol I cant believe I couldnt guess that... Now I feel like a total eejit.

I take it by that you meant The Dillinger Escape plan aren't metal, so shouldnt be on the site? I cant comment, cos Ive never heard them. You are right though about there being plenty of examples of bands who shouldnt be there, and bands should be there but arent accepted.

I actually mean they should be on the site cause they areas much metal ad Burnt By The Sun
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.07.2010 - 23:35
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.07.2010 at 23:30
I actually mean they should be on the site cause they areas much metal ad Burnt By The Sun

Sorry, I didnt understand what you meant in that post. lol I re-read it and now I think I see what you're saying. "Burnt By The Sun" is a TDEP album, right? Not a band?

I have heard that name a lot, but Ive actually never heard them.
28.07.2010 - 23:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 28.07.2010 at 23:35

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.07.2010 at 23:30

Sorry, I didnt understand what you meant in that post. lol I re-read it and now I think I see what you're saying. "Burnt By The Sun" is a TDEP album, right? Not a band?

I have heard that name a lot, but Ive actually never heard them.

Okay a little more off-tpoic Burnt By the Sun is a band which plays more or less in the vein of The Dillinger Escape Plan.

So actually both bands are at the extreme opposite of funeral doom in the metal spectrum
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.07.2010 - 23:55
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.07.2010 at 23:36
Okay a little more off-tpoic Burnt By the Sun is a band which plays more or less in the vein of The Dillinger Escape Plan.

So actually both bands are at the extreme opposite of funeral doom in the metal spectrum

Okay, I finally think I get what you meant... Both bands play a similar style of metal, yet Burnt By The Sun have been accepted by MA to be on the site, but The Dillinger Escape Plan were rejected?

We have gone waaay off topic! Now back to the funeral doom....
29.07.2010 - 01:26
ß
Problem?
Has anyone heard of I Drowned in a Stream of Mourn?, when they were still active, the band members were between the ages of 12 & 16. For being of such young ages I think they made some pretty decent Funeral Doom.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
30.07.2010 - 20:50
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by ß on 29.07.2010 at 01:26

Has anyone heard of I Drowned in a Stream of Mourn?, when they were still active, the band members were between the ages of 12 & 16. For being of such young ages I think they made some pretty decent Funeral Doom.

Just looked them up on Soundclick.
Not amazing by any means, but definitely a curiosity and it has its moments. I wonder what they're doing currently, as the project has been disbanded.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
31.07.2010 - 06:05
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin

Itd make good background music for when Im cleaning the house and stuff. hehe

it's also great to read to. nothing better than firing up some funeral doom, pouring a glass of cab sauv, and reading a good book late at night.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
31.07.2010 - 09:03
Prugor
Mr. Offensive
Written by Daniell on 27.07.2010 at 09:23

Written by Prugor on 04.07.2010 at 13:08

Fungiod Stream released a new album, Oceanus, six years after their first album. Listening to it at the moment, sounds pretty good.

I can't find it anywhere Where did you buy it?

I'm not gonna say I bought it. Because I didn't. However, I do have an internet connection. I also have no money, because I got married and bought a house.
----
Ah... Girl look at that body, Ah... I work out
31.07.2010 - 10:24
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by BitterCOld on 31.07.2010 at 06:05
it's also great to read to. nothing better than firing up some funeral doom, pouring a glass of cab sauv, and reading a good book late at night.

I can imagine that also being the case. xD

The thing with the Ea album I listed to, it was more relaxing than depressing, which is what Id imagined all funeral doom would be like. lol Im sure there are bands in the genre like that as well, but the melodic funeral doom is very listenable for me.