Metal Storm logo
Cricket

Original post

Posted by Valar, 19.05.2006 - 17:01
Glad to open a Cricket Thread the most followed and worshipped game in the Indian Subcontinent though i am pessimistic this thread will get many patrons
Updating India Won Vs The West Indies in West Indies it was the first match of the ongoing 5 match ODI series and will be followed by the test series.
Also Sri lanka Drew ther match with England as England dropped 9 catches and dropped the opportunity to go 1-0 up in the test series.
22.03.2007 - 14:17
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Raiden on 22.03.2007 at 14:01

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.03.2007 at 13:47

Written by Raiden on 22.03.2007 at 13:36

Yes, well you can't have upsets throughout the whole cup.

Unfortunately not
I was hoping for one or two in the gorup with Australia, and then I am not talking about Scotland upsetting any of the major countries

Hehe, not a chance my friend You'll have to wait for the next rounds for something remotely like it happening

They're broadcasting the Holland v Scotland match live on Foxtel tonight, I don't think I'll stay up and watch though. Highlights will be on tomorrow evening, I might catch those. I need to sleep, to stockpile energy so I can stay awake all night watching India v Sri Lanka tomorrow night, then go to uni for my 10am exam...
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
22.03.2007 - 14:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Judas on 22.03.2007 at 14:17

Written by Raiden on 22.03.2007 at 14:01

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.03.2007 at 13:47

Written by Raiden on 22.03.2007 at 13:36

Yes, well you can't have upsets throughout the whole cup.

Unfortunately not
I was hoping for one or two in the gorup with Australia, and then I am not talking about Scotland upsetting any of the major countries

Hehe, not a chance my friend You'll have to wait for the next rounds for something remotely like it happening

They're broadcasting the Holland v Scotland match live on Foxtel tonight, I don't think I'll stay up and watch though. Highlights will be on tomorrow evening, I might catch those. I need to sleep, to stockpile energy so I can stay awake all night watching India v Sri Lanka tomorrow night, then go to uni for my 10am exam...

I can understand most people not being interested in the Holland - Scotland match. But I think I might drop into the pub to watch it on Sky.
Well, best of luck with the India - Sri Lanka match. I think that Sri Lanka might actually for a change win this one. Sri Lanka being the stornger bowling side of the two...
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.03.2007 - 14:52
Valar
IndianSteel
^^If India had won the match against Bangladesh then i would have gone with SL winning this one....but now as it is the matter of survival i am sure India can pull this one.......
GodSpeed!!
----
"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien, "Three Is Company," The Lord of the Rings
22.03.2007 - 14:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Valar on 22.03.2007 at 14:52

^^If India had won the match against Bangladesh then i would have gone with SL winning this one....but now as it is the matter of survival i am sure India can pull this one.......
GodSpeed!!

I hope the best for you. But we'll see. Sttranger things have happened... Like Ireland making it into the SUper Eight. Goooooooooooo.... Leperchauns (okay a couple of them are Aussies and SOuth African )
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.03.2007 - 06:28
Judas
The Amputator
@Marcel: Congratulations to your boys! They didn't mess around with Scotland, showed them who's boss amongst the minnows without any problems. Bowling them out for 136 (Stelling 3/12) then chasing that total down with 8 wickets and 26.1 overs in hand (ten Doeschate 70 not out) is a sterling effort.

New Zealand beat Canada by 114 runs, after scoring 363/5 (Vincent 101, Fleming 66) then bowling the opposition out for a respectable 249 (Davison 52, Patel 3/25).

However, all this news is overshadowed by the horrible news that Bob Woolmer, the late coach of Pakistan, died from asphyxiation caused by manual strangulation. In short, this means that he was murdered. If his murder was a result of someone taking their loss too seriously, then it really makes me wonder what the future of our beloved sport really holds.

This article, written by Sambit Bal (editor of Cricinfo and Cricinfo magazine), highlights the grim reality of cricket and the media culture surrounding it:

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/286676.html
----
23.03.2007 - 22:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Seems like India will be eliminated. I don't think they can pull a miracle off with 8 down at this moment.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.03.2007 - 04:02
Judas
The Amputator
Well, India have lost to Sri Lanka, with Murali working his magic to all but dash the hopes of cricket's biggest nation. Sri Lanka fought very well to post 254, and played brilliantly in the field to seal the victory with authority. India now need to rely on Bermuda beating Bangladesh to have a chance of going through, but that's holding on by the thinnest of threads, because Bangladesh should thrash them.

In other news, Ireland's 183/8 wasn't enough to stop the West Indies from taking 2 points with them into the Super 8s phase.

Tonight is another big match, South Africa v Australia, that'll be worth the all-nighter!
----
24.03.2007 - 05:43
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Bob Ulmer (I don't know the exact spelling ,btw) murdered? that's shocking, I wonder who did it and why... I heard this in sports news and read it in a newspaper..its a sad news indeed, especially for pakistan, first their bowlers like akhtar couldn't play the world cup, second they lost matches and got 'out' from the WCC tournament, third, their coach died... In a newspaper I saw a photo of Inzamam weeping on the cricket ground as he was retiring from ODI cricket.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
24.03.2007 - 14:26
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Written by Judas on 24.03.2007 at 04:02

Well, India have lost to Sri Lanka, with Murali working his magic to all but dash the hopes of cricket's biggest nation. Sri Lanka fought very well to post 254, and played brilliantly in the field to seal the victory with authority. India now need to rely on Bermuda beating Bangladesh to have a chance of going through, but that's holding on by the thinnest of threads, because Bangladesh should thrash them.

In other news, Ireland's 183/8 wasn't enough to stop the West Indies from taking 2 points with them into the Super 8s phase.

Tonight is another big match, South Africa v Australia, that'll be worth the all-nighter!

Yeah, I might be too drunk to watch though but I'll do my best.. Anyway sad that India had to go out of the world cup this early and hopefully the fans dont overreact too much. It was a good match but I think Yuvraj's runout changed the game..

Anyway Australia vs South Africa should be really good..
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
24.03.2007 - 16:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Judas on 24.03.2007 at 04:02

Well, I thought India is out of the tournament no matter what the result the between Bangaldesh and Bermuda because of Bangladesh beating India. But I could be wrong.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.03.2007 - 17:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Fucking hell, AUstralia are off to a flyer against South Africa
50 up just under five overs, and currently at 165/1 after 23
and
Hayden is at his blugeoning best:
22.2 Smith to Hayden, SIX, Down the track and wallops it way over the bowler for a six. Hundred in 66 deliveries. The fastest World Cup hundred. Beating John Davison's record. Brings is up in brutal style

But then again will 400+ be sufficient to defend on this small ground? Remember that match between SA and Australia in SA when Australia had just posted a world record 400+ to be beaten in the last over?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.03.2007 - 13:02
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Well Australia beat South Africa last night. Hayden scored the fastest hundred in a WC like Marcel said. Australia posted 377/6 on the board. South Africa got off on a good start with Smith scoring around 70 odd and de Villiers scoring 92. However it wasn't enough to beat the Aussies as South Africa were all out in 48 overs for 294...

Super 8 draws should be really interesting though..
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
25.03.2007 - 15:38
Judas
The Amputator
Last night's big match was indeed a good one, Australia batted really well and posted a large total, which did look under threat for a while, as Smith and de Villiers took the attack to them. Jacques Kallis, do you understand the concept of a required run rate? He played a big role in the South African demise, because he refused to adapt his game to the situation at hand. In the end, full credit must go to the Australian bowling and fielding unit, they closed out the game admirably.

The pitch has to be questioned though, once again I'll bring up the argument whether or not it makes sense to have a totally flat wicket. I mean, I know it makes for exciting viewing, but it's always totally one-sided, with bat dominating ball overwhelmingly. It's a similar situation with preparing a greentop or a crumbler, where the ball will seam or spin like crazy, but we don't have them very frequently at all anymore, instead we're getting the other extreme. Oh well, nothing I can do about it, I suppose, except whinge to you guys.

England had no problems against Kenya, beating them by 7 wickets. Tikolo scored well as usual for Kenya, with 70-odd, but Joyce and Pietersen knocked off the total with ease.

Tonight's match, Bangladesh v Bermuda, should be one-sided. Bangladesh may still be called a minnow by many, but compared to Bermuda they are like the 1948 Australian Invincibles or the 70s West Indies. India will be watching with close interest, since if Bermuda pull off a huge upset, then they will still go through to the Super 8s. It's my feeling though that if Bermuda do win, then large amounts of money will have changed hands, and the Bangladesh team's bank balances will have gone up overnight...
----
25.03.2007 - 15:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Judas on 25.03.2007 at 15:38

Tonight's match, Bangladesh v Bermuda, should be one-sided. Bangladesh may still be called a minnow by many, but compared to Bermuda they are like the 1948 Australian Invincibles or the 70s West Indies. India will be watching with close interest, since if Bermuda pull off a huge upset, then they will still go through to the Super 8s. It's my feeling though that if Bermuda do win, then large amounts of money will have changed hands, and the Bangladesh team's bank balances will have gone up overnight...

true, some still call Bangladesh a minnow (also Kenya springs to mind) but both Bangaldesh and Kenya are miles ahead of the minnows such as Ireland, Scotland, The Netherlands, Canada, and Bermuda. If there is a true minnow it certainly is Bermuda, they are by far the worst of the temas playing this World Cup. If I were to rank the minnows it would be as follows:
1. Bangladesh
2. Kenya
3. Ireland
4/5. The Netherlands/Scotland (I oput them equal cause they mre or less have a 50-50 result against each other and of the last three encounters Scotland beat The Netherlands twice on the last ball of the match and were trounced by 8 wickets this World Cup)
6. Canada (though the gap with the number 4/5 is quite big)
7. Bermuda

Although Zimbabwe is not considered a minnow it should be posted between Bangladesh and Kenya
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.03.2007 - 16:05
Judas
The Amputator
Just watching some reports on Indian television (my mum gets it via satellite), apparently the word on the street is that bookmakers are prepared to offer each Bangladeshi player the sum of Rs. 1 crore (well over $200 000 US dollars!) to throw the game...

It is indeed a very sad state of affairs. Many think that Bob Woolmer's murder was linked to bookmakers, and now this too. Pathetic.
----
25.03.2007 - 16:17
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
According to the newspapers here Bob Woolmer was retiring from cricket and was writing a book exposing all the match fixing and bettting scandals that take place in the game.
So , it could well be the reason he was murdered.

It also said that there were strong rumours that when Hanse Cronje died that was murder too.
When you think about it , it could well be true.
He knew a lot about the match fixing that was going on at the time.

Bangladesh have to win today - for the sake of the game.
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
25.03.2007 - 16:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by hanna of steel on 25.03.2007 at 16:17

According to the newspapers here Bob Woolmer was retiring from cricket and was writing a book exposing all the match fixing and bettting scandals that take place in the game.
So , it could well be the reason he was murdered.

It also said that there were strong rumours that when Hanse Cronje died that was murder too.
When you think about it , it could well be true.
He knew a lot about the match fixing that was going on at the time.

Bangladesh have to win today - for the sake of the game.

Btw, remember who was South Africa's coach during Cronje's reign?
My theory is that Woolmer was murdered by bookies, not because (as some media wants us to believe) the match against Ireland was fixed, but because Pakistan got eliminated and therefore the bookies won't be making a lot of money anymore because of the fact that it is at least 6 games less Pakistan will play. The Windies - Pakistan match might have been fixed in order to let the home team win which is good for revenues, but Pakistand never even thought of the lsight possibility fo losing to Ireland, so just losing to the Windies and beating Ireland and Zimbabwe would have been enough to go through to the next round. And another fact all the matches that have been fixed thus far haven't been as one-sided as the Pakistan - Ireland game. But these are just my thoughts and theories on the matter,
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.03.2007 - 04:19
Judas
The Amputator
Well, Bangladesh have sealed India's fate, they beat Bermuda by 7 wickets. The minnow-est of the minnows managed 94/9 in a match severely curtailed by rain, and the Bangladeshis chased it down after some early slip-ups, with Mohammed Ashraful and Saqibul Hasan taking them through with 21 balls to spare.

This is so great for them, I know which underdog I'll be backing in the Super 8s!
----
27.03.2007 - 09:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Judas on 26.03.2007 at 04:19

This is so great for them, I know which underdog I'll be backing in the Super 8s!

Yeah, Ireland all the way... gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Leperchauns.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.03.2007 - 10:23
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
I'm looking forward to today's game West Indies v Australia.

It should give some indication of how good this West Indies team is.
I am expecting an Australian win .

I don't mind Ireland winning , but not their first match which is against England on friday.

@ Marcel Hubregtse - good point about the SA coach during the Cronje captaincy , I hadn't forgotten.
I have a feeling that this investigation is going to open up a whole lot of scandal.
----
29.03.2007 - 00:18
Himann
Orm KrigGud
One of the best games ever. South Africa vs Sri Lanka. South Africa barely manage to win with one wicket in hand. Lasith Malinga took a hat-trick and one more while South Africa were cruising. SA almost lost but it was a thriller and down to the wire almost. 3 runs to get and 4 wickets fall back to back.. Amazing match.. Took them another 2 or 3 overs after that to get the winning runs while the ball kept missing the outside edge and the stumps by inches..
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
30.03.2007 - 17:08
Judas
The Amputator
Well, South Africa were so lucky to survive such a late onslaught from the Slinger Malinga (as he's referred to by Australian media), but I suppose in the end all that mattered for them was getting those valuable points. Sri Lanka will rue their poor overall fielding display, I think, but they did give the Proteas a run for their money, and I'm still tipping them for a semi-final berth.

Last night, New Zealand comfortably closed out their game against the West Indies, adding to the recent woes of the home side. Shane Bond bowled like a man possessed, and despite the best efforts of Chris Gayle, Ramnaresh Sarwan and Brian Lara, they were bundled out for 177. The Black Caps faltered early in their chase, but Scott Styris and Stephen Fleming righted the ship and eased their way to a 7-wicket victory.

Tonight, we'll see if our Leprechaun friends can upset the Poms, who are having more than a few problems at the moment, if Cricinfo is anything to go by. Lo and behold, Ireland have got them on the ropes early, with Rankin removing Joyce first-ball, and Vaughan soon after. England in a spot of bother at 26/2, but Bell and Pietersen are class acts, so the contest will continue!
----
30.03.2007 - 19:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Great start by Ireland, Rankin dismissing their former teammate Ed Joyce for just 1 run. Joyce should have never gone to the English side if you ask me.
England currently 144/4 after 34 overs so some decent bowling by the Irrish it seems. Dangerman Pietersen already out but Collingwood and Flintoff are building a substantial partnership now it seems
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.04.2007 - 15:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Tomorrow Australia - England. Any thoughts on that? England MUST win to still have a chance of making the final four.

I, however, do think that Australia will come out on top. Okay England might have beaten them in the final of that triseries this winter but when it comes to really important matches the Australians are always up to scratch.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.04.2007 - 22:51
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Well for those of u who dont know, Bangladesh look like they're going to beat South Africa.. SA are 95/6 in the 29th over chasing 251. Ashraful scored 80. Go Minnows!! Give us another upset..

Anyway Sri Lanka are going well and are still my pick to lift the cup!! Awesome thriller against England!! Now if only the batsmen decide to score runs as well..
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
08.04.2007 - 00:07
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Yep its another upset.. Bangladesh beat South Africa by 67 runs and Gibbs scored a half century while being injured..
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
08.04.2007 - 00:38
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.04.2007 at 15:43

Tomorrow Australia - England. Any thoughts on that? England MUST win to still have a chance of making the final four.

I, however, do think that Australia will come out on top. Okay England might have beaten them in the final of that triseries this winter but when it comes to really important matches the Australians are always up to scratch.

I have thoughts on this match - mostly - help !
If Enlgand don't win this they are in big trouble , but given the Bangladesh / S Africa result anything could happen.
Or is that just wishful thinking ?
----
08.04.2007 - 00:42
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Written by hanna of steel on 08.04.2007 at 00:38

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.04.2007 at 15:43

I have thoughts on this match - mostly - help !
If Enlgand don't win this they are in big trouble , but given the Bangladesh / S Africa result anything could happen.
Or is that just wishful thinking ?

It's just wishful thinking lol!!
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
15.04.2007 - 06:15
Judas
The Amputator
Well, 3 of the 4 semi-finalists have been decided after last night's result. New Zealand beat South Africa by 5 wickets, sealing their semi-finals berth, and also that of the Sri Lankans. Australia, of course, were already through, but now the race will be on for that 4th spot. Theoretically, South Africa, West Indies, England and Bangladesh are all in the hunt. http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/wc2007/content/current/story/290482.html - article explaining the possible permutations. Effectively, it's all down to Tuesday's match between England and South Africa...
----
17.04.2007 - 17:59
APOHAKC
The Bard
Go England...
Beat South Africa today
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!