Metal Storm logo
Sonata Arctica

Original post

Posted by SteTech, 19.05.2006 - 18:33
I couldn't help noticed there wasn't a thread for Sonata yet. They're one of my favourite bands, and I just got their new live DVD today. Watched it, and loved it! I have all the albums as well, with my fave's being Ecliptica and Reckoning Night. Winterheart's Guild is good, but for me, Silence just lacks the magic of the other albums. I know a lot of Sonata fans will argue that Silence is their best and all that shit, but I fail to see what you lot see in it. I'm not saying it's bad, just not their best
01.05.2008 - 08:20
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
i didn't listened Unia, and i don't like Sonata Arctica much, but for me the best album from them is Reckoning Night,
01.05.2008 - 18:25
VPeter
I used to really like this band and they were also one of the first metal bands I heard and also the very first power metal band I heard.
now I grow over them because they became to cheesy for me and like many power metal bands these days they over do the choir effects.
26.06.2008 - 18:59
BADDEST MEMBER
This band's music is so good, but lyric I feel its hard to understand => negatively
28.06.2008 - 01:12
Shinigamy
Account deleted
Well this is my second post here... trying to catch up Any way abouth Sonata, my opinions are that the bend was in great shape until they recorded Unia, and lost they speed power metal sence... A lot of influence of Tonny (vocal) in the Unia. Best albums i think are Ecliptica and Winterhearts Guild... Too damn good keyboards they have, crazzy Henrik on keys. Maybe we can expect something new to see from them after leaving of Jani
30.06.2008 - 14:45
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
I saw Sonata at Tuska yesterday and I think they were pretty boring. They had almost exactly the same setlist as on their February gig at Kaapelitehdas. They played well, but maybe I've just seen them too many times already... In my opinion it'd be really refreshing to lose "The Cage" from the end. Why not playing "My Land" sometimes... And perhaps less songs from Unia-album and more old songs.
----
You'll never walk alone.
30.06.2008 - 17:10
Madame Nocturna
Account deleted
Sonata is one of my fav bands. Hope I will see them somewhere near my country. I think that they have great albums. They're like some story. Heheheh ! My fav albums are˝Silence˝, ˝Live in Tokyo.˝ And I think that they were better when Jani was in band. That is just my opinion.
30.06.2008 - 22:25
=maD.Doc:.
Melodeath Master
Written by [user id=33268] on 30.06.2008 at 17:10

Sonata is one of my fav bands. Hope I will see them somewhere near my country. I think that they have great albums. They're like some story. Heheheh ! My fav albums are˝Silence˝, ˝Live in Tokyo.˝ And I think that they were better when Jani was in band. That is just my opinion.

How could you tell they where better with Jani when Elias haven't played on any album yet? Or do you mean live?
01.07.2008 - 15:45
Madame Nocturna
Account deleted
Written by =maD.Doc:. on 30.06.2008 at 22:25

How could you tell they where better with Jani when Elias haven't played on any album yet? Or do you mean live?

I mean live.
01.07.2008 - 22:23
Ernis
狼獾
Didn't bother staying at their Tuska gig for a long time....they did play "Replica" though but otherwise I am completely unfamiliar with their new stuff which made it pretty pointless watching'em there....besides there was Tyr gig starting at the next stage and I felt like occupying the front rows....
01.07.2008 - 22:51
Knightrider
The Sorcerer

Sonata is one of my fav bands. Hope I will see them somewhere near my country.

They are playing in Maribor at the end of the year, what would the nearest to Croatia, I am hoping to catch them there.
02.07.2008 - 14:08
Madame Nocturna
Account deleted
Written by Knightrider on 01.07.2008 at 22:51

Sonata is one of my fav bands. Hope I will see them somewhere near my country.

They are playing in Maribor at the end of the year, what would the nearest to Croatia, I am hoping to catch them there.

Wow ! Great news ! I must be there !

P.S. ajd, jo? netko iz Hrvatske vidim. hehehe !
23.08.2008 - 18:41
Janne
Hugin
Is here anybody who has got the Ecliptica 2008 remastered CD?
----

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
23.08.2008 - 18:47
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Janne on 23.08.2008 at 18:41

Is here anybody who has got the Ecliptica 2008 remastered CD?

This sounds new to me. What changes from the normal album?
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
23.08.2008 - 18:57
Janne
Hugin
The songs were remastered. And there is a bonus track on it (Letter To Dana(2008)). And Silence was also remastered. They were out 2 days ago.
----

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
23.08.2008 - 19:13
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Janne on 23.08.2008 at 18:57

The songs were remastered. And there is a bonus track on it (Letter To Dana(2008)). And Silence was also remastered. They were out 2 days ago.

Well I don't think it changes so much, since the production was good.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
23.08.2008 - 19:16
Janne
Hugin
the bonus tracks are so Unia feeling...
----

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
29.08.2008 - 17:30
Janne
Hugin
Today I bought my ticket to the show on the 14th of november!
----

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
29.08.2008 - 20:01
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Sonata Arctica is coming here next month I think with Nightwish...that's a show I won't wanna miss...
29.08.2008 - 22:49
Janne
Hugin
Written by [user id=2084] on 29.08.2008 at 20:01

Sonata Arctica is coming here next month I think with Nightwish...that's a show I won't wanna miss...

Lucky man. I'd change Vanishing Point and Pagans Mind to Nightwish. Nightwish and SA after each other would be awesome!
----

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
30.08.2008 - 22:26
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Janne: I'm actually seeing Nightwish and Sonata Arctica on Monday...I'm listening to the latest Nightwish right now but I will get to Unia right after that...I kinda wish I was going to see Pagan's Mind...
31.08.2008 - 03:49
YoreLore
Avoided Sonata for years because all I ever heard were ballads like Replica and Letter To Dana. I thought that most of the songs on the albums would be ballads too. Was dragged to a concert and now they are one of my top bands. I even like the ballads too now . White Pearl, Black Oceans... and The Power Of One are probably my favourites
----
"I'm rising in power through murdering rain
Stronger than Faith allows
Braver than heroes vows
...My head is bloody
but I am unbowed
I am power..."
31.08.2008 - 13:40
Janne
Hugin
Written by YoreLore on 31.08.2008 at 03:49

Avoided Sonata for years because all I ever heard were ballads like Replica and Letter To Dana. I thought that most of the songs on the albums would be ballads too. Was dragged to a concert and now they are one of my top bands. I even like the ballads too now . White Pearl, Black Oceans... and The Power Of One are probably my favourites

I like the ballads like Blank File, Weballergy, Black Sheep, Wolf & Raven...
----

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
31.08.2008 - 17:31
YoreLore
Written by Janne on 31.08.2008 at 13:40

Written by YoreLore on 31.08.2008 at 03:49

I like the ballads like Blank File, Weballergy, Black Sheep, Wolf & Raven...

Yeah those ballads are quite good haha. Dont forget Wildfire
----
"I'm rising in power through murdering rain
Stronger than Faith allows
Braver than heroes vows
...My head is bloody
but I am unbowed
I am power..."
01.09.2008 - 06:28
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I've been listening to their recent album...pretty exquisite stuff...best material I've heard from them in awhile...I can't wait to hear this stuff live tommorow!
01.09.2008 - 07:48
Janne
Hugin
Written by [user id=2084] on 01.09.2008 at 06:28

I've been listening to their recent album...pretty exquisite stuff...best material I've heard from them in awhile...I can't wait to hear this stuff live tommorow!

I'm waiting for your experiences after the concert, please share them here!
----

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
02.09.2008 - 02:20
Fhuesc
Written by [user id=2084] on 01.09.2008 at 06:28

Really!? i'm from the idea that it sucked.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
02.09.2008 - 09:04
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Fhuesc: Have you heard it at all? If not, go and listen to it...

@Janne: I have just returned from the Sonata Arctica show and it was exactly what I expected and more! Tony Kakko is such an animated character on stage..his facial expressions, his jumping around, his interaction with the audience and with the players of the band when they solo and stuff...he is such an amazing vocalist and he gets into character quite well with each song...I don't know what Henrik's problem was tonight though...when they did their bow at the end, it was like he hardly even cared and couldn't wait to get off the stage...as perusual, they did their "Vodka, we need some Vodka" thing...that's always pretty entertaining at the end of a Sonata Arctica set...

Nightwish was something else let me tell you... Anette is a great addition to Nightwish! She's not that bad to look at either...she has quite the onstage personality...the fans are soo crazy! I kinda wish Nightwish would've played Bless the Child but they didn't...also, I thought Sonata Arctica would've played some stuff from thier first album, Ecliptica (like Blank File, My Land, Kingdom For A Heart...) but they did not...they opened with the first two songs from Unia...
03.09.2008 - 16:42
Janne
Hugin
Written by [user id=2084] on 02.09.2008 at 09:04

@Fhuesc: Have you heard it at all? If not, go and listen to it...

@Janne: I have just returned from the Sonata Arctica show and it was exactly what I expected and more! Tony Kakko is such an animated character on stage..his facial expressions, his jumping around, his interaction with the audience and with the players of the band when they solo and stuff...he is such an amazing vocalist and he gets into character quite well with each song...I don't know what Henrik's problem was tonight though...when they did their bow at the end, it was like he hardly even cared and couldn't wait to get off the stage...as perusual, they did their "Vodka, we need some Vodka" thing...that's always pretty entertaining at the end of a Sonata Arctica set...

Nightwish was something else let me tell you... Anette is a great addition to Nightwish! She's not that bad to look at either...she has quite the onstage personality...the fans are soo crazy! I kinda wish Nightwish would've played Bless the Child but they didn't...also, I thought Sonata Arctica would've played some stuff from thier first album, Ecliptica (like Blank File, My Land, Kingdom For A Heart...) but they did not...they opened with the first two songs from Unia...

Yeah, they usually don't play too much fom Ecliptica. Last year when I saw them they played 16 songs but only 2 from Ecliptica...
----

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
05.09.2008 - 06:39
Fhuesc
@Kap'N Korrupt: yes i heard it thrice, and it really sucks. Yes Sonata are awesome when they are in the mood, or else, it's awful. I find kinda funny, that at least here in Mexico, the 2 time i saw them, below the stage there were this huge fans that blow the whole band hair and it made them looked like they where posing for some fashion magazine.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
17.09.2008 - 22:47
Janne
Hugin
I've just got the 2008 remastered Silence album recently and it sounds great but I didn't noticed anything different from the original album. (except for the bonus track of course). Is there anyone else who owns it?
----

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-