Metal Storm logo
Sonata Arctica

Original post

Posted by SteTech, 19.05.2006 - 18:33
I couldn't help noticed there wasn't a thread for Sonata yet. They're one of my favourite bands, and I just got their new live DVD today. Watched it, and loved it! I have all the albums as well, with my fave's being Ecliptica and Reckoning Night. Winterheart's Guild is good, but for me, Silence just lacks the magic of the other albums. I know a lot of Sonata fans will argue that Silence is their best and all that shit, but I fail to see what you lot see in it. I'm not saying it's bad, just not their best
19.09.2008 - 03:49
MortalTheory
Account deleted
silence and ecilptica are my favorites. what were people's opinion of Unia?
20.09.2008 - 04:51
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Unia doesn't have the energy and consistancy as an album like Eclpitica (I don't think Sonata Arctica can ever top that album) but damn, Unia really mixes the the heavy metal power and ballad quality that this band has perfectly...those first two songs kick sooo much ass...I've seen reviews saying that it's a daring move for them to be composing such grandiouse song structures, but it really works for them...
20.09.2008 - 11:42
Janne
Hugin
Unia isn't as bad as I thought after first listening. But I still can't listen to it more than 3 times a week because then it becomes boring. So I still prefer their older albums
----

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
27.09.2008 - 02:15
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
I differ from all of you i guess....ive love all the older SA albums from Ecliptica to Silence to Winterheart's Guild (Reckoning Night sucked though) but I do not feel that Unia is bad at all...in fact I think it's right up there with their best albums. I dont know what everyone's problem is, perhaps because it's more progressive and less straightforward than their older albums. Which is fine by my, I love seeing bands not doing the same shit over and over (which was the case on Ecliptica and Silence - very generic).

So I applaud them for Unia, I think its fantastic - perhaps doesnt have as many killer songs like on the early albums - but at least they're not stuck in a rut and like to mix things up.
27.09.2008 - 03:17
VPeter
I also don't understand the lashing towards Unia. I used to like Sonata a lot because it was one of the first metal bands I knewn, then I start to grow out of them, since the cheese factor got me. But I checked them out again some time ago and Unia doesn't sound that bad at all it sounds pretty nice, decent proggy power metal.
27.09.2008 - 11:47
Janne
Hugin
I've known them only for 2 years so I couldn't grow out of their old stuff by now. Maybe those who know them since 1999 wanted them to change but I didn't!
----

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
30.10.2008 - 13:30
Atto
Account deleted
I don't know...I am the kind of person (one of the few, actually...) that thinks that Reckoning Night is quite good....really like My Selene, Don't Say a Word and White Pearl Black Oceans...so I really have a different opinion..
But I think Unia is nice ( never saw anyone complaining about Caleb...), the only problem with it is that it is way different from the fast songs that made SA popular...If Unia weren't a Sonata album, people would like it more...
31.10.2008 - 02:03
Janne
Hugin
Written by [user id=35638] on 30.10.2008 at 13:30

I don't know...I am the kind of person (one of the few, actually...) that thinks that Reckoning Night is quite good....really like My Selene, Don't Say a Word and White Pearl Black Oceans...so I really have a different opinion..
But I think Unia is nice ( never saw anyone complaining about Caleb...), the only problem with it is that it is way different from the fast songs that made SA popular...If Unia weren't a Sonata album, people would like it more...

That's what I said.
----

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
07.02.2009 - 21:06
Hybris
Uh... Reckoning Night is to me their best album!! I'm surprised to see how many people doesn't like it... ó.ò
----
Opening a new scar, closing the wounds with a knife
07.02.2009 - 23:45
Zelse
Reckoning Night is their best album, in my opinion, with White Pearl Black Oceans being their magnum opus. Unbelievably song, that was the pinnacle of Sonata Arctica songwriting and musicianship to me. I hope their next album returns to that sound - I loved Unia, which most people did not like, but I would love to see a more traditional melodic power metal album next time.
08.02.2009 - 16:21
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
I like some songs off Reckoning Night: Dont Say a Word, White Pearl Black Ocean and one or two others, but what annoyed me with the album was their terrible keyboard sound. Thats the main reason I dont like it as much because it sounds like a church organ
09.02.2009 - 06:44
romerovan
Account deleted
I love sonata arctica! <3 ecliptica it´s one of my favorite albums. please come to venezuelaa =(
01.04.2009 - 23:49
BuzzPhil
One of my favorites groups! Hope that someday they would come to Montreal.
02.04.2009 - 22:51
MeloDeathViking
I tend to be a bigger fan of their older albums, but Reckoning Night and Unia are growing on me. I really like the Harvest from Unia. I think the main reason I don't enjoy Unia is much is the lack of faster songs. As long as there are a few more faster songs on the next album, I think I'll enjoy it just fine.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
02.04.2009 - 23:00
Janne
Hugin
Written by MeloDeathViking on 02.04.2009 at 22:51

I tend to be a bigger fan of their older albums, but Reckoning Night and Unia are growing on me. I really like the Harvest from Unia. I think the main reason I don't enjoy Unia is much is the lack of faster songs. As long as there are a few more faster songs on the next album, I think I'll enjoy it just fine.

Exactly. The lack of speed is why some old Sonata fans don't like Unia so much (like me)
I hope the new album will be faster! It must be..
----

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
04.04.2009 - 02:47
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Unia is for sure growing on me because of how different it is from their older work...it is pleasing to see they've progressed musically over the years and how they've matured...their lack of speed actually results in better songs...it lets the songs breathe...I can't wait to hear what they'll do in the next album...
06.04.2009 - 10:44
Eeric
Account deleted
Written by [user id=2084] on 04.04.2009 at 02:47

Unia is for sure growing on me because of how different it is from their older work...it is pleasing to see they've progressed musically over the years and how they've matured...their lack of speed actually results in better songs...it lets the songs breathe...I can't wait to hear what they'll do in the next album...

Excatly, they've only improved on every album
about next album, doesn't matter is it slow or hyper fast, it's gonna be album of the year
06.04.2009 - 19:24
Zelse
Written by [user id=35853] on 06.04.2009 at 10:44

Written by [user id=2084] on 04.04.2009 at 02:47

Excatly, they've only improved on every album
about next album, doesn't matter is it slow or hyper fast, it's gonna be album of the year

I don't know about that... Sonata's claim to fame is their unique, classic style of power metal, and Unia was a total departure from that. I really hope the next album is something more along the lines of Reckoning Night. Unia was a nice breakaway from the formula but I really want more of what they're famous for...
07.04.2009 - 10:13
Lioncourt
Written by Janne on 27.09.2008 at 11:47

I've known them only for 2 years so I couldn't grow out of their old stuff by now. Maybe those who know them since 1999 wanted them to change but I didn't!

I have known them since 1999. To be fair I was waiting for something along the way of Reckoning Night when Unia was still in the making. But when I saw the crappy cover art, I did not know what to expect. Maybe something pop-ish. And Paid In Full (single) only confirmed my thoughts. Well the results were yes and no. At times Unia feels very pop-ish and on other times it is pure progressive power metal (get it right Metal Storm!). Bottomline : I like Unia, although I am still not entirely comfortable with songs like "Under Your Tree" and "Caleb".

And I am happy that they are moving on on music styles.
----

Think twice before you buy furr! http://www.strasbourgcurieux.com/fourrure/
07.04.2009 - 11:54
LostSoul
Written by Lioncourt on 07.04.2009 at 10:13

Written by Janne on 27.09.2008 at 11:47

I have known them since 1999. To be fair I was waiting for something along the way of Reckoning Night when Unia was still in the making. But when I saw the crappy cover art, I did not know what to expect. Maybe something pop-ish. And Paid In Full (single) only confirmed my thoughts. Well the results were yes and no. At times Unia feels very pop-ish and on other times it is pure progressive power metal (get it right Metal Storm!). Bottomline : I like Unia, although I am still not entirely comfortable with songs like "Under Your Tree" and "Caleb".

And I am happy that they are moving on on music styles.

I agree on this pop-ish/progressive power metal sound. I kinda like the new album, it depends though. Simetimes yeah it's really shitty but on the other times it can be really good. But I absolutely hate "Under Your Tree", I don't know why, but I do. Other songs are quite good, "In Black And White" I like a lot. The remakes "Letter To Dana" and "Wolf And Raven" I didn't like either, old versions are much better. But as an collectioner I have both remake cd's Old ones start to be pretty worn out
----
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying "Damn... we fucked up"
07.04.2009 - 19:15
Zelse
Some of the songs are true gems. In Black and White and Fly With The Black Swan are amazing, but other songs I really just cannot understand for the life of me (The Vice and The Harvest specifically - I can't get used to them). I want another White Pearl, Black Oceans or My Selence, dammit!
09.04.2009 - 01:26
=maD.Doc:.
Melodeath Master
Written by Zelse on 07.04.2009 at 19:15

Some of the songs are true gems. In Black and White and Fly With The Black Swan are amazing, but other songs I really just cannot understand for the life of me (The Vice and The Harvest specifically - I can't get used to them). I want another White Pearl, Black Oceans or My Selence, dammit!

A new My Selene will not be possible though, and that's sad. The reason why is that My Selene was completly written by Jani when he still were around.
09.04.2009 - 05:21
Zelse
Written by =maD.Doc:. on 09.04.2009 at 01:26

A new My Selene will not be possible though, and that's sad. The reason why is that My Selene was completly written by Jani when he still were around.

Yea, I know. That's another thing I've been wondering about - apparently at the end of this summer Jani is done with his duties or whatever it was he neglected and got kicked out of the band for. Do you think he'll try to rejoin Sonata at some point or will Elias continue to be there?
09.04.2009 - 15:19
Janne
Hugin
The tour dates are good. I hope they will tour with the new album this year as Tony promised!
----

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
09.04.2009 - 20:13
=maD.Doc:.
Melodeath Master
Written by Zelse on 09.04.2009 at 05:21

Yea, I know. That's another thing I've been wondering about - apparently at the end of this summer Jani is done with his duties or whatever it was he neglected and got kicked out of the band for. Do you think he'll try to rejoin Sonata at some point or will Elias continue to be there?

Well, he was kicked out, so I don't think he will be back, not yet at least, perhaps doing something on his own. Hope so, because he could make wonderfull music! Or if he rejoins and SA will have both Jani and Elias, which would be the ultimate for live shows!
09.04.2009 - 20:36
Zelse
Written by =maD.Doc:. on 09.04.2009 at 20:13

Written by Zelse on 09.04.2009 at 05:21

Well, he was kicked out, so I don't think he will be back, not yet at least, perhaps doing something on his own. Hope so, because he could make wonderfull music! Or if he rejoins and SA will have both Jani and Elias, which would be the ultimate for live shows!

That would be nice!
10.04.2009 - 20:05
BRJ Events
Hands down my fav band ever, no matter what album they do its always good in my eyes, many dont like Unia but there is still epic songs on it! and when i saw em live with pagans mind in leeds they blew me away with their set.
----
www.myspace.com/brjevents
17.04.2009 - 07:17
Fhuesc
2 friends told me that Caleb, The End Of This Chapter and Don't Say A Word, are parts of the same story, so i went to the Trivia section, but there wasn't any info. So i google it and found some forums that discuss this, but in none of them, there's a solid proof about this. Certanly the songs could be connected, but do someone here has a proof of this, like a statement of any member or something like that?
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
17.04.2009 - 11:01
DarkMoor99
Account deleted
Written by BRJ Events on 10.04.2009 at 20:05

Hands down my fav band ever, no matter what album they do its always good in my eyes, many dont like Unia but there is still epic songs on it! and when i saw em live with pagans mind in leeds they blew me away with their set.

What song do you like the most of the Unia album, then?
17.04.2009 - 15:56
Zelse
Written by Fhuesc on 17.04.2009 at 07:17

2 friends told me that Caleb, The End Of This Chapter and Don't Say A Word, are parts of the same story, so i went to the Trivia section, but there wasn't any info. So i google it and found some forums that discuss this, but in none of them, there's a solid proof about this. Certanly the songs could be connected, but do someone here has a proof of this, like a statement of any member or something like that?

As far as I know, the songs are connected because they tell the story of a rather mentally disturbed man who turns out to be a stalker or something. Can't remember the specifics of it, but that's the basic gist of it. The first song of them would be Caleb, followed by Don't Say A Word, then The End of This Chapter, I think.