Metal Storm logo
New year's Goals

Original post

Posted by selken, 06.01.2008 - 04:38
I don't know about your country, but in most countries I know, people have the tradition of proposing goals, objectives or aims that you could go after in this new year. For example, finnish your studies, learn something important (to drive, to speak a language....) or change something in your life.
For example, I don't have any particular goals for this year except by keep improving my knowledge, what about you guys, do you have a special issue for this year?
31.12.2008 - 20:31
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Be more slutty, more outgoing, get a 2:1 at uni. Also, to be in a relationship this year where i like the person enough to not still try and meet someone better when I go out. Strangely I still feel upset when it ends even though I basically take the attitude that I might as well keep seeing someone until I meet someone better.

Going out in an hour. Guess I'll put these to the test.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
31.12.2008 - 20:46
VPeter
My list of to do in 2009:
-more optimistic, less bitchy
-learn Norwegian and Icelandic
-train my body more, I hate that I'm way to skinny
-start to draw again
-play music more often
-write more often
-go to England
-improve my health
-go to Norway or Iceland
-go to Portugal
31.12.2008 - 21:08
tulkas
el parcero
-stop smoking for good
-not fail any class on this 2 semesters
-be able to have a full spagat (spreading your legs all the way) on taekwondo
-gain some weight, 'cause i'm underweight like 8kg

can't think of anything else at the moment...
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
31.12.2008 - 21:16
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
My new year's goal: make a new year's goal.
31.12.2008 - 23:32
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I personally think that New Years Resolutions are stupid...I tried to make them over the years and I never stick to them...other people I know feel this way too...
01.01.2009 - 12:37
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by [user id=2084] on 31.12.2008 at 23:32

I personally think that New Years Resolutions are stupid...I tried to make them over the years and I never stick to them...other people I know feel this way too...

well i don't see them as strict necessities to do in the upcoming year, but more like a laying down of plans for the next 52 weeks, like "what i am i gonna do with my life this year?"

ok, so here goes(in order of importance, with 1 being the most important):
1.move in with my best friend in a 2-bedroom apartment
2.pass the first year of college and if i can't get the second one for free, make more money and pay up the taxes
3.second year in a row- find a girlfriend(this is gonna be tough )
4.get a distortion effects pedal and get in a band
5.go to the manowar gig in july and massacrate my ears in the front row center
6.be a better guitarist
01.01.2009 - 14:43
Elio
Red Nightmare
Mmm...I think this kind of thing is stupid too, but well....

1) Pass the exam trying to get the best vote possible
2) Make the correct choice for university
3) Discover new great bands
4) Go to nice concerts
5) Lose the fuckin' belly...abs, I now you're hiding there
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
01.01.2009 - 20:44
Bulletdodger
-Learn Russian(Maybe German too , although I know a little bit of German )
-Stop beeing a prick to most people
-Get some meat on my bones
----
Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können.
David Hilbert
01.01.2009 - 22:26
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I suppose that making short term resolutions like passing exams and making correct choices for a university is all fine and good like Elio suggested...
01.01.2009 - 22:33
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by [user id=5630] on 31.12.2008 at 21:16

You win!
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
01.01.2009 - 22:43
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 01.01.2009 at 22:33

Written by [user id=5630] on 31.12.2008 at 21:16

You win!

Yay! My life is complete!
02.01.2009 - 00:06
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
- Get a life.
- Get a decent girl who loves me back.
- finish the year with good marks

I need the second one... really bad.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass

Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.

02.01.2009 - 00:46
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
- figure my life out
- be more awesome (may be difficult with current levels)
----
Coldgrits
02.01.2009 - 01:18
Elio
Red Nightmare
Everyone saying they have to get a life...what the hell do you mean exactly?
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
02.01.2009 - 10:51
Himann
Orm KrigGud

I rather agree. If I want to do something, I do it. I don't wait till new years to set a goal.
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
03.01.2009 - 02:00
V8Thrasher

its only stupid if you cant stick to it. i agree 100% of ppl dont stick all the way, but come on its a good goal to have.

my new years resolution:

by the end of the year be able to qualify for an Amateur Bodybuilding License.

"only 52 weeks. better make em count"
03.01.2009 - 02:02
V8Thrasher
ALOT of people are saying their new years resolution is "Get a Life"

sadly my theory is true..... a HUGE chunk of "Metalheads" have no lives

i dont consider myself a metal head, i have a life
03.01.2009 - 07:52
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@V8Thrasher: Nothing changes on New Years Day

Why not randomly make goals in the middle of the year instead of waiting until New Years...why not give people the present you bought them because you really want to at that time instead of itching to wait until their birthday or Christmas...etc, etc...are you saying that I have no life? I don't think that resolutions are stupid...I think that NEW YEARS resolutions are stupid...I've made resolutions and have kept them...I don't need a fresh new year to make it significant and official...and 52 weeks can start anywhere...it doesn't have to start on the first day of the first month of the first year....well, my opinion anyway...
03.01.2009 - 08:17
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=2084] on 03.01.2009 at 07:52

Why not randomly make goals in the middle of the year instead of waiting until New Years...

Thats the thing, whenever I make goals for myself during the year I usually say "Fuck it, I'll do it next week." Having a set date like that is kind of nice for us procrastinators.

Anyways, heres mine:
-Cut back on smoking (I'm being realistic, I'm not going to quit, but I can get 1 step closer)
-Fix my sleeping patterns (In other words, not staying up until 4am and waking up at 3pm)
-Stop treating my friends like crap (this sounds like a weird one, but I really need to start being a little more open minded with my friends musical tastes, and other things like that. They're getting pissed off at me for making fun of them because of musical tastes, and they're all too big of pussies to indulge me in a good debate about music)
-FINALLY learn how to play guitar/buy a guitar

Doing all 4 of those simultaneously is going to be a bitch.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
03.01.2009 - 18:33
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 03.01.2009 at 08:17

I really need to start being a little more open minded with my friends musical tastes

This is something I need to do to yeah...I treat all the music my friends listen to like it's the worst shit ever and I have to stop doing that...there is a lot of crappy music out there and unfortunatly a lot of my friends listen to it...however, I do have friends that listen to hard rock and metal...a lot of my friends I have made only from music but there are a lot of them who listen to like...Nickelback and pop and hip-hop etc...and I always condemn them...
03.01.2009 - 19:10
-tom-
Mr FancyPants

Why not randomly make goals in the middle of the year instead of waiting until New Years

Dramatic revelation: You don't have to wait til New Years eve to change something in your life!!

Seriously though, I say i want to become more outgoing as one of my new years resolutions but I've been working on that for a long time and have really changed a lot. I can look back to this time last years and I've changed so much. I'm like a different person really. I think New Years is just a time to look back and see where you've improved from last year and where you'd like to improve. There's no rule that you have to wait 'til then. It's just really a time for reflection.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
03.01.2009 - 23:53
V8Thrasher

@V8Thrasher: Nothing changes on New Years Day

Why not randomly make goals in the middle of the year instead of waiting until New Years...why not give people the present you bought them because you really want to at that time instead of itching to wait until their birthday or Christmas...etc, etc...are you saying that I have no life? I don't think that resolutions are stupid...I think that NEW YEARS resolutions are stupid...I've made resolutions and have kept them...I don't need a fresh new year to make it significant and official...and 52 weeks can start anywhere...it doesn't have to start on the first day of the first month of the first year....well, my opinion anyway...

no no you misunderstood me. about the new years resolution thing: its just a nice goal to have. like i said just about no one actually keeps them,. its just a goal to have. and i do agree with you about a resolution being able to be set anytime of the year that is true. my opinion: New years resolutions are not stupid. thats my opnion lol.

i never said YOU in particular have no life, the HUGE chunk, the majority of "hardcore metalheads" have no lives. if you have no life then thats your problem. if you do have a life, then good for you.
03.01.2009 - 23:58
V8Thrasher
Written by [user id=2084] on 03.01.2009 at 18:33

Written by Doc G. on 03.01.2009 at 08:17

I really need to start being a little more open minded with my friends musical tastes

This is something I need to do to yeah...I treat all the music my friends listen to like it's the worst shit ever and I have to stop doing that...there is a lot of crappy music out there and unfortunatly a lot of my friends listen to it...however, I do have friends that listen to hard rock and metal...a lot of my friends I have made only from music but there are a lot of them who listen to like...Nickelback and pop and hip-hop etc...and I always condemn them...

you do realize that they probably think the same about your music right? along with the general populus?

but it makes me happy to see ppl saying they want to be open about other music. in my ipod all you will see is metal/hard rock stuff. im the only one out of my friends who listens to metal, so when im with them i have to endure a plethora of musical styles. ive learned to cope. ive found myself no longer thinking "what shitty music" now i think "eh whatever thats their choice", and i move on. heck, some of it is even listenable now. now worthy of listening to when im alone, but its listenable when im with them.
04.01.2009 - 03:51
Deadgirl
A resolution at the start of a new year is easier to keep track of. It's also sort of nice because the new year is symbolic of a fresh start, even if it isn't really so.

I want to go walking or running at least once a week... Stuff I used to do. And I want to get a job and save money to move away from home by the end of the year. :3
----
Remember that you are mortal.
04.01.2009 - 04:15
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by V8Thrasher on 03.01.2009 at 23:58

you do realize that they probably think the same about your music right? along with the general populus?

Oh really? Gee, I thought everyone out there liked Death, Obituary, Anoerexia Nervosa, The Gathering, etc... :
04.01.2009 - 04:29
Fhuesc
Written by Fhuesc on 07.01.2008 at 09:11

Since i was 14 i only have a goal every year, create the T-Virus and with it, destroy mankind

As always, the complete annihilation of mankind.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
04.01.2009 - 07:21
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
I have many goals that i want/need to achieve and '09 is a fresh time to start. To sum it up in a few words i need to GET MY SHIT TOGETHER.
here's some details if some of you might care :
- get back to regularly playing the guitar (at least 1 hour daily)
- bodybuilding (muscle weight gain), this time is for real ... a strict and big diet and no skippping workouts
- doing well in school, i've got a brain for that
- no more waking up at 12pm on weekends
- i have to find a fucking job, BAD
I'll have plenty on my hands this year
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
04.01.2009 - 11:02
V8Thrasher
Written by [user id=2084] on 04.01.2009 at 04:15

Oh really? Gee, I thought everyone out there liked Death, Obituary, Anoerexia Nervosa, The Gathering, etc... :

yeah... stupid statement on my part
04.01.2009 - 11:08
V8Thrasher
Written by Visioneerie on 04.01.2009 at 07:21

I have many goals that i want/need to achieve and '09 is a fresh time to start. To sum it up in a few words i need to GET MY SHIT TOGETHER.
here's some details if some of you might care :
- get back to regularly playing the guitar (at least 1 hour daily)
- bodybuilding (muscle weight gain), this time is for real ... a strict and big diet and no skippping workouts
- doing well in school, i've got a brain for that
- no more waking up at 12pm on weekends
- i have to find a fucking job, BAD
I'll have plenty on my hands this year

hey man good luck with the bodybuilding. my main goal for this year is to get my amateur bodybuilding license, along with my ISSA and ASF certs. if your serious about the dieting, start out slow, if you start strict right away you wont keep to it trust me. its nice to know a fellow Metal Listener (notice i dont use the word MetalHead, i fucking refuse to be called that now) is keen about their physical well being, and seems to want to do more than just play guitar. best of luck to you
04.01.2009 - 16:24
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by V8Thrasher on 04.01.2009 at 11:02

Written by [user id=2084] on 04.01.2009 at 04:15

yeah... stupid statement on my part

It's not a stupid statement because a lot of metalhead friends I know think that metal is the greatest music ever and they play it loud and think that everyone around them is going to hear it and think 'my GOD! that is amazing! why haven't I ever heard this angelic music before?!'