Metal Storm logo
Angra

Original post

Posted by Baz Anderson, 06.06.2006 - 21:24
We now have ourselves an Angra thread. woo!
So yeh. It actually took me a while to get into Angra as much as I am now, I didnt bother looking into them properly for a long time. But I am very glad I did now.

I started with their first album, 'Angels Cry' and after a couple of listens I loved it, so then I got 'Temple Of Shadows' and I didnt quite love it so much and so my Angra exploration ended there for a few months after listening to 'Holy Land' and not thinking much either.

Then not all that long ago from now, I listened to 'Temple Of Shadows' and wow! hahahaha
I cannot believe I didnt love it the first time I heard it.
I think 'Temple Of Shadows' is one of the best power metal albums of all time now!

So then I ended up getting all Angra albums and giving them all lots of attention and all the rest of it.
My 'Angels Cry' is the french special edition that has the bonus disc with three acoustic live tracks on it - and the book is signed by all the members of the band (in 1996) which was an extra bonus while buying the CD.

So then you have got to ask the question 'which Angra do you like best?' - the Angra that made the first three albums, or the one that made the last two.
It is a very hard quesion because I love all their albums (even 'Fireworks')
'Angels Cry' and 'Holy Land' are really special albums, but I think I prefer the extra 'pomp' of the new Angra
'Temple Of Shadows' is really fantastic and 'Rebirth' is a good albums too. 'Nova Era' has been in my head for days and days before.

So what do you all think of the band, the band before the big change and the current band - and which do you like best?
also any thoughts on favorite album or anything else are welcome!
Thanks!
26.07.2006 - 06:09
Icarus
!PROSLACKER!
Written by [user id=6192] on 26.07.2006 at 03:10

Written by Freezer on 09.06.2006 at 02:00

I only know Holy Land and Angels Cry, i adore them both, which other one can i take?

Holy land for me is far the best album of Angra but you can check the album ritual from shaaman (Andre Matos actual band) that is in the same level as Holy Land for me.

really shaaman equal to holy land i find it hard to believe since shaaman seems to be more mellow and less powery IMO althou i have to say matos has the best power metal voice i really dont like Shaaman find it really boring and extremely difficult to connect and just not that all amazing musically as old angra.. i think matos really clicked with rafa at music creating and he hasnt been able to recover as easily as rafa with new angra
----
-At live's eve our flames will cease-
26.07.2006 - 20:27
Pianoman
Account deleted
Written by Icarus on 26.07.2006 at 06:09

I only know Holy Land and Angels Cry, i adore them both, which other one can i take?

Holy land for me is far the best album of Angra but you can check the album ritual from shaaman (Andre Matos actual band) that is in the same level as Holy Land for me.

really shaaman equal to holy land i find it hard to believe since shaaman seems to be more mellow and less powery IMO althou i have to say matos has the best power metal voice i really dont like Shaaman find it really boring and extremely difficult to connect and just not that all amazing musically as old angra.. i think matos really clicked with rafa at music creating and he hasnt been able to recover as easily as rafa with new angra

That really proves that you haven't listen to the album Ritual that has Power songs like: Here I Am, Time wil Come, Blind Spell and Distant Thunder. The beautyfoul ballad Fairy Tale that is at the level of Make Believe or Deep Blue. Shaaman has explored more music styles like in their mystic intro to the album Ancient Winds (one of the best I ever heard). The progressive jewel Over your Head.
The album Reason is maybe more difficoult to enter and that is because they changed their style and the answer is: Is that bad?
Absolutly not! This album has more heavy stuff and that's good for me because I didn't want to hear again other Holy Land. Now they are more progressive and more heavy in this album. Maybe that's the reason that you can connect to this album and I understand that because at the first listen to this album I was shocked with their new style I mean that wasn't really closer to their previous album Ritual but when I listened again Reason I really liked it because the style is new and fresh with heavy songs such as Turn Away, More and Scarred Forever. There are also a lot of good progressive songs like: Rough Stone, In the Night and the sad ballad Born to Be that is one of the best of the album for me. And there are of course Power songs like the great Iron soul, Trail of Tears and Reason. Shaaman has progressed a lot in their style. I like a lot the new Angra but they haven't progressed in their style, they are still trying to do albums like Angels Cry and Holy Land and that only happens one time. I didn't like Rebirth because It sounded like a typical European band trying to make an album like Angels Cry or Holy Land. Temple of Shadows is good but not as Ritual of Shaaman. Angra has to progress more. Is only my opinion.
26.07.2006 - 20:58
Pianoman
Account deleted
Written by Baz Anderson on 06.06.2006 at 22:02

i have only heard the latest Shaaman album and i have to say i wasnt very impressed with it either, although the Sisters Of Mercy cover is good - and the first song on the album is catchy
maybe i just need to give it a bit more attention

but yeh. i cant wait for a new Angra album, especially if it is in the same vein as 'Temple Of Shadows'

So you have to listen to Ritual from Shaaman!
Temple of Shadow is a masterpiece too.
27.07.2006 - 02:38
Icarus
!PROSLACKER!
Written by [user id=6192] on 26.07.2006 at 20:27

That really proves that you haven't listen to the album Ritual that has Power songs like: Here I Am, Time wil Come, Blind Spell and Distant Thunder. The beautyfoul ballad Fairy Tale that is at the level of Make Believe or Deep Blue. Shaaman has explored more music styles like in their mystic intro to the album Ancient Winds (one of the best I ever heard). The progressive jewel Over your Head.
The album Reason is maybe more difficoult to enter and that is because they changed their style and the answer is: Is that bad?
Absolutly not! This album has more heavy stuff and that's good for me because I didn't want to hear again other Holy Land. Now they are more progressive and more heavy in this album. Maybe that's the reason that you can connect to this album and I understand that because at the first listen to this album I was shocked with their new style I mean that wasn't really closer to their previous album Ritual but when I listened again Reason I really liked it because the style is new and fresh with heavy songs such as Turn Away, More and Scarred Forever. There are also a lot of good progressive songs like: Rough Stone, In the Night and the sad ballad Born to Be that is one of the best of the album for me. And there are of course Power songs like the great Iron soul, Trail of Tears and Reason. Shaaman has progressed a lot in their style. I like a lot the new Angra but they haven't progressed in their style, they are still trying to do albums like Angels Cry and Holy Land and that only happens one time. I didn't like Rebirth because It sounded like a typical European band trying to make an album like Angels Cry or Holy Land. Temple of Shadows is good but not as Ritual of Shaaman. Angra has to progress more. Is only my opinion.

yeah i saw this comin... anywats to the point the one that struck me most is new angra not being progressive gotta tell you man new angra is way more progressive than anything released before, check unholy wars or even temple of hate if you doubt whta im saying im not sayin its better than the old angra. my opinion just lies in that shaaman seems boring and well yeah it is after all power isnt it im not saying it is anything but power but i do say it has really differ from some of their older more powery albums such as fireworks with songs such as speed that are esentially power at best,.

oh GOd do I remember listening to Fairy tale and going damn do i miss kiko and rafa... IMO not comparable at all with Make Believe that song was an instat with its melody and awesome lyrics wjhile i find myself trying to listen to Fairy Tale over and over again just trying to get into it but it was just a waste of time... really i doo feel like they never should have splitted i still wanna hear Angels Cry II.

Progress you say, well perhaps your not very into the new change of angra perhaps edu's voice sucks in your opinion but angra sure has made a progress and a progress precisely in what you lack seeing in theyre new stuff by this i mean Progressiveness, theyre las album Temple of Shadows allthough not in my favorite albums, shows to the best scale what power and'progressive metal sound when put togheter just take a harder listen at songs such as Angels and Demons, Temple of Hate, Shadow Hunter and why not Late Redemption with its portuguese intro i mean examples are just soo many...progress you say well they've been working theyre asses of to make awesome songs by bringing great assitance and support to theyre songs such as kai hansen or hansi....(should i say more??) man progress is there man wheter you like it or not... i do agree that Matos was a big part of Angra but i see new Angra handling themselves far better than Shaman...

I know what Ill say doenst matter much but still how would you feel if Angra came to your country and sold almost out the place for a concert while Shaaman barely sold a few tickets and were forced to cancel, thats gotta say something as well about the apreciation of your music---It did happen (here by the way) as i said it doesnt matter much to me so dont start arguing this back its just something that happened and it does show something wouldnt you think?
----
-At live's eve our flames will cease-
27.07.2006 - 03:27
Pianoman
Account deleted
Written by Icarus on 27.07.2006 at 02:38

yeah i saw this comin... anywats to the point the one that struck me most is new angra not being progressive gotta tell you man new angra is way more progressive than anything released before, check unholy wars or even temple of hate if you doubt whta im saying im not sayin its better than the old angra. my opinion just lies in that shaaman seems boring and well yeah it is after all power isnt it im not saying it is anything but power but i do say it has really differ from some of their older more powery albums such as fireworks with songs such as speed that are esentially power at best,.

oh GOd do I remember listening to Fairy tale and going damn do i miss kiko and rafa... IMO not comparable at all with Make Believe that song was an instat with its melody and awesome lyrics wjhile i find myself trying to listen to Fairy Tale over and over again just trying to get into it but it was just a waste of time... really i doo feel like they never should have splitted i still wanna hear Angels Cry II.

Progress you say, well perhaps your not very into the new change of angra perhaps edu's voice sucks in your opinion but angra sure has made a progress and a progress precisely in what you lack seeing in theyre new stuff by this i mean Progressiveness, theyre las album Temple of Shadows allthough not in my favorite albums, shows to the best scale what power and'progressive metal sound when put togheter just take a harder listen at songs such as Angels and Demons, Temple of Hate, Shadow Hunter and why not Late Redemption with its portuguese intro i mean examples are just soo many...progress you say well they've been working theyre asses of to make awesome songs by bringing great assitance and support to theyre songs such as kai hansen or hansi....(should i say more??) man progress is there man wheter you like it or not... i do agree that Matos was a big part of Angra but i see new Angra handling themselves far better than Shaman...

I know what Ill say doenst matter much but still how would you feel if Angra came to your country and sold almost out the place for a concert while Shaaman barely sold a few tickets and were forced to cancel, thats gotta say something as well about the apreciation of your music---It did happen (here by the way) as i said it doesnt matter much to me so dont start arguing this back its just something that happened and it does show something wouldnt you think?

Yeah somethings you say are true. Is only a thing of opinion and musical tastes. Maybe you like more Iron Maiden than Judas Priest but I don't. Maybe you like more Dream Theater than Symphony x and I like more symphony x. And about the thing of the popularity of Angra I think that's because they conserved the name of Angra and Andre Matos and company didn´t. Maybe if Shaaman was called Angra now they would be more popular and that's a pity.
My favourite band was old Angra. Now are many bands in my list of favourites.
I have listen very well Temple of Shadows and It´s a very good album IMO but not so as the best that was for me that is Holy Land.
Yeah I miss too the guitars of Rafa and Kiko in Shaaman but Hugo isn't a bad guitar player for he is very good.
I think this is the end of our discussion
27.07.2006 - 03:35
Pianoman
Account deleted

Yeah somethings you say are true. Is only a thing of opinion and musical tastes. Maybe you like more Iron Maiden than Judas Priest but I don't. Maybe you like more Dream Theater than Symphony x and I like more symphony x. And about the thing of the popularity of Angra I think that's because they conserved the name of Angra and Andre Matos and company didn´t. Maybe if Shaaman was called Angra now they would be more popular and that's a pity.
I have listen very well Temple of Shadows and It´s a very good album IMO but not so as the best that was for me that is Holy Land.
Yeah I miss too the guitars of Rafa and Kiko in Shaaman but Hugo isn't a bad guitar player for he is very good.
27.07.2006 - 03:35
Pianoman
Account deleted

27.07.2006 - 03:40
Pianoman
Account deleted

Yeah I miss too the guitars of Rafa and Kiko in Shaaman but Hugo isn't a bad guitar player for me he is very good.
27.07.2006 - 04:25
Robstar
I just don't really like this band!
Great solos they perform but not my favorite shit!
Sorry dude...
Too mello!
----
Nothing is unreacheable
27.07.2006 - 21:02
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
i heard that shaaman is gonna disband, is that true?
28.07.2006 - 21:16

I agree with you, even if I discovered Angra only a few months ago, Holy Land is probably their best album.. When I read your post, I went to listen to Shaman, and I really loved what I heard... Here, I have so much difficulty to get Angra's albums, and I looked for Shaman too [Ritual], and I didn't find anything..
----
Sanity brings up the sadness
And keep your illusions locked
In a little box...
Fright comes, you find yourself lonely
In a cage of conclusions
Crownding your mind...
28.07.2006 - 23:35
Pianoman
Account deleted
Written by Dead Winter Dead on 28.07.2006 at 21:16

I agree with you, even if I discovered Angra only a few months ago, Holy Land is probably their best album.. When I read your post, I went to listen to Shaman, and I really loved what I heard... Here, I have so much difficulty to get Angra's albums, and I looked for Shaman too [Ritual], and I didn't find anything..

That's because they changed their name to shaaman with two A.
Now can check it out!
28.07.2006 - 23:55
Pyro
Account deleted
And, for us all Angra fans, Edu Falaschi is releasing his first solo effort "Almah", I don't when or where, but if somebody knows a website with samples or any info, please let us know.
29.07.2006 - 01:16
Written by [user id=6192] on 28.07.2006 at 23:35

Written by Dead Winter Dead on 28.07.2006 at 21:16

That's because they changed their name to shaaman with two A.
Now can check it out!

I know, oh, I made a mistake in my post:P! I mean, I'll have to go see for it at some underground music store in Montreal...
----
Sanity brings up the sadness
And keep your illusions locked
In a little box...
Fright comes, you find yourself lonely
In a cage of conclusions
Crownding your mind...
29.07.2006 - 15:56
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Written by [user id=5584] on 28.07.2006 at 23:55

And, for us all Angra fans, Edu Falaschi is releasing his first solo effort "Almah", I don't when or where, but if somebody knows a website with samples or any info, please let us know.

I really look forward to Almah, I don't really remeber which musicians who would play, but I think it was the drummer from Kamelot and the new basist from Stratovarius Will probably be great!
29.07.2006 - 21:11
Pyro
Account deleted
Written by Spyroid on 29.07.2006 at 15:56

I really look forward to Almah, I don't really remeber which musicians who would play, but I think it was the drummer from Kamelot and the new basist from Stratovarius Will probably be great!

There's also that guy who plays guitar in Nightwish, Empoo'.
30.07.2006 - 03:59
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Written by [user id=5584] on 29.07.2006 at 21:11

Oh yeah, he's really great I look forward to it. Does anyone know what it's going to sound like? Regular power metal or with a progressive touch?
30.07.2006 - 04:05
Pyro
Account deleted
Written by Spyroid on 30.07.2006 at 03:59

Written by [user id=5584] on 29.07.2006 at 21:11

Oh yeah, he's really great I look forward to it. Does anyone know what it's going to sound like? Regular power metal or with a progressive touch?

It's heavy metal as far as I know .
01.08.2006 - 05:42
Pianoman
Account deleted
Does anyone know the page of the notice of Edu solo band?
01.08.2006 - 10:42
LeDruide
Written by [user id=6192] on 01.08.2006 at 05:42

Does anyone know the page of the notice of Edu solo band?

Edu's official page : http://www.edufalaschi.com.br/index-en.html
02.08.2006 - 21:08
DLMokoma
Account deleted
I'm not a big fan of power metal, but I like Angra really much. Good stuff
02.08.2006 - 22:11
Baz Anderson
Staff
yeh, if you like progressive stuff you might like them as well
i was listening to them today and realised how progressive they actually are
i mean they arent the most progessive band, but they arent just a streight power metal band
03.08.2006 - 19:49
Freezer
thank you for the help
----
We fly through this godless endeavor, we try to explain the black forever
04.08.2006 - 21:41
Constantinos
I have listened to 'Holy Land' and 'Nova Era'. I think that they are both really good albums. I haven't listened other albums yet, but I believe that Angra is a band that has quality and quantity.
----
Somewhere in time I will find you and haunt you again, like the wind sweeps the earth
06.08.2006 - 09:40
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Ah yes Angra one of my favorite all time bands. My favorite album is Holy Land, followed by Angel's Cry. Temple of Shadows was quite good as well. Im not gonna lie,when Matos left I was a bit shocked,and didnt think anyone could fill his shoes but Edu does just that.Kiko Loureiro and Rafeal Bittencourt are both amazing guitarists. My favorite song by them is either "Heroes of Sand", "Angels Cry", "Nothing to Say". All great songs. I also enjoy Wishing Well.
06.08.2006 - 09:41
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Written by Constantinos on 04.08.2006 at 21:41

I have listened to 'Holy Land' and 'Nova Era'. I think that they are both really good albums. I haven't listened other albums yet, but I believe that Angra is a band that has quality and quantity.

Nova Era wasnt an album,are you sure you arent thinking of Rebirth? It is the album which the song Nova Era appears on.
07.08.2006 - 16:49
pajo
Account deleted
This band Rocks!!! It cheers me up everytime I hear any Angra album!!!
My favourite song is reaching horizons!
Every musician in the band (past or current line-up) is real virtuoso!!!
I have kiko's videos and besides petrucci he is the best guitar player i have ever seen in my life!
I am looking forward to the new album. Do you have some updates about it? Official site isnt very good source of informations
09.08.2006 - 04:38
Pianoman
Account deleted
Written by [user id=4451] on 07.08.2006 at 16:49

This band Rocks!!! It cheers me up everytime I hear any Angra album!!!
My favourite song is reaching horizons!
Every musician in the band (past or current line-up) is real virtuoso!!!
I have kiko's videos and besides petrucci he is the best guitar player i have ever seen in my life!
I am looking forward to the new album. Do you have some updates about it? Official site isnt very good source of informations

Totally agree with you.
Kiko for me is better than petrucci in tecnic and feeling.
Reaching Horizon is one of their best ballads IMO.
30.08.2006 - 11:09
pajo
Account deleted
Wow I cant belive my eyes!
New Angra album on the way! Woooohoooooo!!!
I am really looking for the end of this year - Angra on 30th of october and Pain Of Salvation at the end of december!

BTW: Angra must mean this as birthday present for me because I have birthday on the very next day
This is great news!
30.08.2006 - 13:58
Baz Anderson
Staff
yeh. i am really looking forward to the new album as well
i really hope it is as good as 'Temple Of Shadows' - if it is then it will be an absolute fantastic album