Metal Storm logo
New Album Recommendations 2016

Original post

Posted by Alex F, 21.11.2015 - 21:19
I already have quite a few albums to look forward to in 2016, so I figured we'd go ahead and get this thread started. The two so far are the upcoming Ctheilist and Lycus albums. Ctheilist embody all that is great with strange Lovecraftian death metal, while Lycus are an incredibly solid funeral doom outfit.

22.10.2016 - 08:15
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Thrash-y US black metal with impeccable soloing. Found it very fun. Will definitely be looking forward to the full album when it releases next friday, the 28th of October. Check out the one track streaming now.

Unendlich - Scales Of Existence

22.10.2016 - 10:50
3rdWorld
China was a neat
WARNING: Insanely repititive lo-fi dronish black metal ahead!

New Oaks of Brothel stuff. Maybe there was a time when this whole label was hot and happening with tons of interesting stuff going on. That's definitely not the case now. They entirely deal in ambient, drone and lofi bm stuff like this now. Good for moments when your brain just refuses to process any music at all. I listen this because I get moments like that regularly these days. Also I am a Njiqahdda bitch, so fuck you.

Oaks Of Bethel - A Ritual For The Consecration Of The Temple Of The Fire Tablet

An ambient reworking of the same record with the original mix reduced to only synths, rhythm guitars and field recordings as they put it. I know many would pick this over that and frankly it is the better option.

Oaks Of Bethel - Between The Infinities Is An Infinite Cosmos (Second Tablet Of Fire)

22.10.2016 - 12:14
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Progressive stoner with relentless drumming, excellent blues-y clean vocals. Further proof that stoner is in inimitable form this year. Has such relentless energy throughout and love how it doesn't take itself too seriously which is very rare these days in metal.

Kinda reminiscent of early mastodon but with the hardcore/sludge replaced by stoner and clean vox predominantly. Highly recommended!

Moon Tooth - Chromaparagon

22.10.2016 - 14:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Only one track from this Polish band's new album, but sounds extremely promising. Proggy death metal. Very cleanly produced (in a good way here) and melodic but adventurous and atmospheric songwriting, especially later on in the track.

22.10.2016 - 14:57
3rdWorld
China was a neat
The dearth of good doom this year greatly saddens me. Here is some great instrumental doom from the big apple. Their third record actually, sounds very good.

Cloud Taste Satanic - Dawn Of The Satanic Age

22.10.2016 - 15:20
3rdWorld
China was a neat
The sort of excellent progressive metal that probably no one is going to listen and will end up in the lists of Underrated albums here and the rare metal albums channel in YT. Yes its definitely such a forgotten gem already. Listening to it right now and it has some nice double bass drumming too.

Fractal Cypher - The Human Paradox

22.10.2016 - 15:48
tominator
At best deranged
Contributor
Written by 3rdWorld on 22.10.2016 at 15:20

The sort of excellent progressive metal that probably no one is going to listen and will end up in the lists of Underrated albums here and the rare metal albums channel in YT. Yes its definitely such a forgotten gem already. Listening to it right now and it has some nice double bass drumming too.

Fractal Cypher - The Human Paradox

Definitely going to check that record out now. I just listened to one of the tracks (Final Abode) and it sounds excellent. Seems to be a really promising album.
22.10.2016 - 15:51
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by tominator on 22.10.2016 at 15:48

Definitely going to check that record out now. I just listened to one of the tracks (Final Abode) and it sounds excellent. Seems to be a really promising album.

Cheers dude. It has a heavy 90's prog vibe I'd say and the reason why it sounds like a gem already. Definitely nothing djent-y or no wankiness here. Have fun.
22.10.2016 - 16:00
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Debut album by current ex-Pin Up Went Down vocalist Asphodel's band is out:

öOoOoOoOoOo - Samen

Also some interesting psychedelic doom/black metal:

JG/RL - Histoire de Corbeau et de Renard

And a nice female fronted stoner doom. Bassy production and highly reverbered vocals

Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard - Y Proffwyd Dwyll
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
22.10.2016 - 18:16
tominator
At best deranged
Contributor
Anciients - Voice of the Void

Some prog metal out of Canada. Their first album Heart of Oak was an "okay" record. This one however is darker and and overall heavier in terms of sound. Some very good riffs and ideas in this album. Not a brilliant record imo but a good one nonetheless.
23.10.2016 - 00:46
mz
Drone post:

Queen Elephantine's album is out experimental drone

Queen Elephantine-kala

the artwork is beyond awesome:

Also, very nice drone. Noisy at some point, and psychedelic-ish at others. Very good:

https://mrfoxx.bandcamp.com/album/kingdom-of-fear

Excellent drone/noise record. It is one of the best things of this sort in the recent memory and can even top floating clollors for the best drone record of the year. Diverse, engaging, and highly dynamic indeed, especially for its genre. The abstract nature of it reminds me of Sutcliffe Jugend -Blue rabbit at some point. Also, one of the coolest band names:

Children of the Greyscale Rainbow-The Dynamic Universe Disappears into the Static Zero

----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
23.10.2016 - 10:38
no one
Account deleted
23.10.2016 - 10:49
no one
Account deleted
Written by 3rdWorld on 22.10.2016 at 10:50

WARNING: Insanely repititive lo-fi dronish black metal ahead!

New Oaks of Brothel stuff.

YEEEOW!! New OAKS OF BROTHEL!

.....terrible cover art
23.10.2016 - 22:32
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Not totally my thing, but everyone on this thread seems to be into this sort of unrefined noisy shit these days. Definitely not bad from skimming and certainly some weird droning and noisy psychedelic black metal that's worth a go if you can stomach the production. Some songs are more challenging than others but work together very well.

Might have been a bit hasty calling it unrefined. Certainly sounds better than some other stuff shared lately =P
23.10.2016 - 22:41
mz
That cover looks familiar.
----
23.10.2016 - 23:20
no one
Account deleted
Written by [user id=4365] on 23.10.2016 at 22:32

Certainly sounds better than some other stuff shared lately =P

Must be good if it sounds better than every metal release this year!
24.10.2016 - 00:01
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by [user id=136611] on 23.10.2016 at 23:20

Must be good if it sounds better than every metal release this year!

Well I did say some other stuff, not all stuff =P
24.10.2016 - 09:08
3rdWorld
China was a neat
^ Someone's being more Marcel lately than Marcel himself who seem to enjoy tons of recent stuff.
24.10.2016 - 09:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I enjoy lots of stuff, just mostly, er, stuff I find Seriously though, there's still plenty of good stuff, just a lot of average, rough stuff than usual too it seems.
24.10.2016 - 10:04
Candlemass
Defaeco
Searched for Wormrot - Voices, to my surprise, the album isn't mentioned in the thread.

Epic grindcore album. Catchy without giving up on heaviness, violent as hell. A really fun album to headbang to.

24.10.2016 - 10:25
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Oh yeah, I still need to get on that. Heard some good things about it.

This ended up sounding kind of fantastic afterall. Really fucking epic, slightly post-hardcore driven black metal. Still don't like the Instagram-style art but doesn't really matter. Great vocals, sound, songs etc. Also really like the strange, often eerie and nostalgic samples of children and people talking as well as the super subtle electronic background elements.

Not sure about highlights but Disgust & Remorse, Pt. II is probably the standout one, and the closing track Metamorphosis was clearly designed to be a closing track and one of those gig ending tracks too. Really great stuff.
24.10.2016 - 12:35
mz
Looks like the lik is shitting.
----
24.10.2016 - 13:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 24.10.2016 at 12:35

Took me a second to figure out what "lik" was
24.10.2016 - 13:38
mz
Written by [user id=4365] on 24.10.2016 at 13:09

Written by mz on 24.10.2016 at 12:35

Took me a second to figure out what "lik" was

What is the lik indeed? I wanted to type "kid" haha. What the fuck
----
24.10.2016 - 20:27
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Yeah that pooping kid cover was a big turn off for me. Good luck selling it to me Joe.

But I have read some places where its touted like some really innovative and great idea at creating some autobiographic black metal and like its a new step forward for the genre. Meh.
24.10.2016 - 20:29
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Definitely not a step forward for the genre, just a great addition to it. I can see the autobiographical idea being quite a nice thing if you can get into it though. Doesn't really interest me too much however.
24.10.2016 - 21:00
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Oh yes, if this isn't some of the most solid funeral death-doom I've heard in a while I don't know what is. Wretchedly heavy but also heavily melancholic. The sound is just perfect. Feel like there hasn't been anything of this calibre this year.

Seems to have another artwork so uploaded both.

[EDIT]

D'oh, looks like this was released last year. This year is the tape release. Oh well, it's here now and not already in the 2015 thread that I can see.
24.10.2016 - 23:11
3rdWorld
China was a neat
New Ancst ep. Listening to it right now and nothing metal here. Totally dark ambient.

Ancst - Stormcaster

24.10.2016 - 23:48
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^Hey but this is not the non-metal rec thread 2016! It's the new metal album recommendat...
Nevermind. It doesn't say it has to be metal on the thread title...
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
24.10.2016 - 23:53
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Karlabos on 24.10.2016 at 23:48

^Hey but this is not the non-metal rec thread 2016! It's the new metal album recommendat...
Nevermind. It doesn't say it has to be metal on the thread title...

It's in the general metal part of the forum though =P