Metal Storm logo
New Album Recommendations 2016

Original post

Posted by Alex F, 21.11.2015 - 21:19
I already have quite a few albums to look forward to in 2016, so I figured we'd go ahead and get this thread started. The two so far are the upcoming Ctheilist and Lycus albums. Ctheilist embody all that is great with strange Lovecraftian death metal, while Lycus are an incredibly solid funeral doom outfit.

02.11.2016 - 14:44
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by [user id=4365] on 01.11.2016 at 23:56

Black metal from Norway that I don't really know how to describe. Martial style drumming, weird bendy atmospheric riffs, very dense swirling sound with keys 'n' shit. I dunno, sounds incredibly unique to my ears and I'm tentatively calling it fucking awesome.

This is great stuff! It's like atmo-black with little twists and unorthodox approach. Loving track 4 with those subtile keys over the raging riff.

Good find
02.11.2016 - 19:49
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Pretty original Symphonic Technical death metal. Kinda tries to create an unique atmosphere. Very good ep.

El Shaddai - Tempest

02.11.2016 - 20:04
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Vombatus on 02.11.2016 at 14:44

This is great stuff! It's like atmo-black with little twists and unorthodox approach. Loving track 4 with those subtile keys over the raging riff.

Good find

Cheers! Yeah track 4 is definitely a stand out one I think.
02.11.2016 - 20:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Avant-garde-ish / industrial balck metal with some jazz elements thrown in. Seems very high quality to me.

New Nadja album streaming. You know what to expect with Nadja; dreamy ambient drone music. This one features some somewhat offbeat bendy riffs for Nadja's usual approach.

And this, well, this is some kind of psychedelic, jazzy drone doom (and some eerie classical stuff too) as far as I can see it. Haven't listened to much yet but seems pretty offbeat and excellent. Almost Throbbing Gristle-y infact, and more than a bit like The Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation. Niiiice.

02.11.2016 - 21:03
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Italian death metal on Caligari Records, who are one of the really good cassette labels in metal with tons of obscure and good stuff. Among my favs too.

Necromorbid - El Dia de la Bestia

02.11.2016 - 21:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Ack, way too drummy for my ears ^

I don't know much about microtonal music, but I'm pretty sure this is it. Pure discordant sounding metal / music. It's actually kind of terrifying and wholly unnatural. For fans of Jute Gyte without a doubt. I love how their name doesn't even fit in on the Bandcamp page on the right hand side.

02.11.2016 - 21:53
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Nice. It sounds indeed a lot Jute Gytey
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
02.11.2016 - 21:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Yeah I had feeling that one might interest you lel.
03.11.2016 - 04:30
3rdWorld
China was a neat
More drums is always more gooder. Anyway didn't find the production of drum mix that high and off putting for my ears.

New album on I, Cliffhanger. Occultish black/death metal. Slightly bassy and groovy. But way too simplistic for cliffhanger label I guess. Sartegos side is uttery generic and boring as well. Meh.

Ysengrin/Sartegos - Resvrrezionespiritval

03.11.2016 - 14:49
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Great sounding ordinary death metal with no bells and whistles. Just great sound and riffs and solos (and subpar art). Pretty Swedish sounding. Flawless for what it is.

03.11.2016 - 15:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
^and for anyone who wants female vocals.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.11.2016 - 15:22
mz
So this is finally on bandcamp. Vault of Dried Bones stuff, so you know what to expect. Fithy, drenged, occult death/black metal. Some of the riffs appear paradoxically beautiful.

----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
03.11.2016 - 17:51
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
New track from the upcoming The Great Old Ones album.

03.11.2016 - 18:27
Zap
Written by [user id=4365] on 03.11.2016 at 17:51

New track from the upcoming The Great Old Ones album.

And there was much rejoicing! Thanks for sharing.
03.11.2016 - 18:29
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Zap on 03.11.2016 at 18:27

And there was much rejoicing! Thanks for sharing.

Should make a lot of people happy. Praise the Old Ones.
03.11.2016 - 18:37
Zap
Written by [user id=4365] on 03.11.2016 at 18:29

Should make a lot of people happy. Praise the Old Ones.

Song was great. I need to see these guys live again. Fingers crossed for TGOO at Roadburn 2017.

And oh shit, seems like the new album will be released on my birthday.
03.11.2016 - 18:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Zap on 03.11.2016 at 18:37

Song was great. I need to see these guys live again. Fingers crossed for TGOO at Roadburn 2017.

And oh shit, seems like the new album will be released on my birthday.

Yeah doesn't sound drastically different from the previous album if I recall. Really sweeping and deep stuff. Has been a while since having a go on the last record actually so might give that a jam.

Maybe they birthday parties for the right price.
03.11.2016 - 18:45
Zap
Written by [user id=4365] on 03.11.2016 at 18:41

Maybe they birthday parties for the right price.

I'll put my mom on the case.
03.11.2016 - 18:46
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Zap on 03.11.2016 at 18:45

I'll put my mom on the case.

Dammit, missed out a word. Now I look silly forever.
03.11.2016 - 18:49
Zap
Written by [user id=4365] on 03.11.2016 at 18:46

Dammit, missed out a word. Now I look silly forever.

Don't worry about it, you were always pretty silly to me.
03.11.2016 - 18:53
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Zap on 03.11.2016 at 18:49

Don't worry about it, you were always pretty silly to me.

Calling that a win, then.
03.11.2016 - 23:12
Skeptic
Written by [user id=4365] on 01.11.2016 at 21:41

A compilation of two earlier demos but seems to have better recording quality this time (originally from tape rips it seems). Some of the best classic black metal I've heard in a while. Perfect sound and warm melodic riffs that match Judas Iscariot's at his best, along with some almost Aaskereian tortured vocals. The tracks are long and usually break down into flurries of euphoric melody. Not much market for people here really but this type of stuff is a pure panacea to all the modern stuff released these days for me.

Even though I'm getting slightly off-topic, for those that are enjoying this compilation, you may want to also check out the other project from the same guy.
Only two demos, and the one below is my favorite one. There's also a compilation of the two demos, but I haven't heard it yet so can't comment about the recording quality.

Very similar to Caverne, and awesome as well.
03.11.2016 - 23:56
Skeptic
New EP from Fluisteraars, a black metal band from the Netherlands that injects plenty of interesting melodies and riffs within their straightforward songwriting style. If you like, you may want to check out their previous full length, which is a bit more on the atmospheric side, with longer songs and more repetitiveness.

[url= http://records.eisenton.de/album/gelderland]Fluisteraars - Gelderland[/url]

Plenty of good black metal coming out of the Netherlands this decade. Fluisteraars, Wederganger, LVTHN, Turia, and probably many other I haven't heard yet. And this is without getting into the more experimental part of things, where Mories seems to be making many people happy.
04.11.2016 - 00:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Skeptic on 03.11.2016 at 23:56

New EP from Fluisteraars, a black metal band from the Netherlands that injects plenty of interesting melodies and riffs within their straightforward songwriting style. If you like, you may want to check out their previous full length, which is a bit more on the atmospheric side, with longer songs and more repetitiveness.

[url= http://records.eisenton.de/album/gelderland]Fluisteraars - Gelderland[/url]

Plenty of good black metal coming out of the Netherlands this decade. Fluisteraars, Wederganger, LVTHN, Turia, and probably many other I haven't heard yet. And this is without getting into the more experimental part of things, where Mories seems to be making many people happy.

LVTHN are from Belgium.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.11.2016 - 03:15
Skeptic
Quote:
Quote:

LVTHN are from Belgium.

Oh crap, when will I learn to not trust my memory ;P. Thanks for correcting me!
04.11.2016 - 13:19
3rdWorld
China was a neat
New slightly fuzzy stoner doom from Italy. Yeah I post a lot of this sort of shit, but stoner is kinda good as much as I've heard this year.

Megatherium - Superbeast

04.11.2016 - 17:35
3rdWorld
China was a neat
US black metal that is at times melodic, depressing and also evocative. Nice art really. Seems they are a black/doom band according to MA but not hearing any overt doom influences here though, just slightly present.

Stoic Dissention - A Sulfurous Dialectic

Music for no one. Absolute lo-fi raw dsbm.

Moonwound - Celebration Of Negative Places

"Chaotic spell ov Black Terror Ritual
Black/ Death Metal project from South Korea and Canada.
members of 厄鬼 (Aek Gwi), The Projectionist, Nocturnal Cremation."

Well I've always found Koreans a bit bonkers. Atrocious vocals coupled with very raw unlistenable production here. In other words: "Making Black Metal Trve Again" .

Thy Sepulchral Moon - Incantations Inciting Demise

Swedish melodic black/death metal. Weirdly its tagged as "rock" on bc. Definitely sounds good.

Nekrokraft - Will O' Wisp

Progressive/post-metal from sweden. Sounds quite fresh. The build ups and crescendos are quite nice, especially the one on track 3. Very short album though. Could've been twice as long for its style.

Tid - Fix Idé

04.11.2016 - 19:24
3rdWorld
China was a neat
More polish black metal. Vocals are kinda too growl-ish but still sounds chaotic and brutal.

Martwica - Proch

04.11.2016 - 20:29
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Here's something unique from Melbourne, Australia. Crust influenced depressive-style black metal. Music for no one #2.

Svangur Kvöl - Mourn

04.11.2016 - 21:16
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Heavy metal/stoner rock. Just the artwork, jeeeeeeez.

Frostfang - Garage EP

Stoner doom from Arcata, California. Whether sounding fun or fucking heavy, these guys definitely know how to do it. Digging it a lot.

Ultramafic - Ultramafic