Metal Storm logo
Photos

Original post

Posted by Baz Anderson, 11.08.2008 - 17:18
Ok, we are in full swing of summer now - over here we are anyway. So lets see some nice pictures you have taken!

Note: pictures posted into this thread directly will be scaled down to 500 pixels wide. If you use firefox, right click on an image and click "view image" to see it's original size.
23.01.2009 - 09:02
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
That's how Serbia looks... you could see something like this in Ukraine as well, but not now; there is snow everything. You must have warmer climate there.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
23.01.2009 - 21:46
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by K✞ulu on 23.01.2009 at 09:02

That's how Serbia looks... you could see something like this in Ukraine as well, but not now; there is snow everything. You must have warmer climate there.

Yeah, global warming is bitch you know... It aint no myth, we had knee deep snow every year, but for the last 3-4 years its either little or no snow at all... We had some, and it stayed for like 5 days, and melted... That sucks.
----
25.01.2009 - 03:40
Ragana
Rawrcat

That's how winter looks here.
26.01.2009 - 23:11
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
And again it looks like it could be Ukraine, but in some rural area. Do you in fact live in the country? Or is it a suburb?
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

26.01.2009 - 23:20
Ragana
Rawrcat
M? Suburb. Few kilometers to Riga, no country. If the photo would be much wider, you see many 5-storey buildings.
27.01.2009 - 18:10
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Ragana on 26.01.2009 at 23:20

M? Suburb. Few kilometers to Riga, no country. If the photo would be much wider, you see many 5-storey buildings.

A great place to live in. This is kinda the place in my hometown where my family lives. It's probably much quieter there than in Riga itself, and less car exhausts...
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

27.01.2009 - 18:47
Ragana
Rawrcat
Yep, that's why I like it. But on other hand it's not cool when your school is located in Riga and you have to wake up each mourning at 5:30 to get to the school on time. Well it's still ~20min to Riga, but...

Yeah, the big plus is that silence in here. You don't hear police/ambulance sirens all night long as it is in Riga.
27.01.2009 - 21:22
Abattoir
Staff
Written by Ragana on 26.01.2009 at 23:20

I have to say that the picture looks pretty nice to me. And better without any buildings around
27.01.2009 - 22:16
Ragana
Rawrcat
Good.
Well I discovered that I have a lot of photos from this summer & autumn, so I can show you some of these. As I still can't photograph like a real artist, I'm taking my photos only when I see something I like.

Riga. 30th of August, 2008.

Riga. 18th of November. The Independence Day's 90th anniversary.

Salaspils (my town). September or smth.

I'm sure you can't live without seeing my cat too.
27.01.2009 - 22:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ragana on 27.01.2009 at 22:16

Good.
Well I discovered that I have a lot of photos from this summer & autumn, so I can show you some of these. As I still can't photograph like a real artist, I'm taking my photos only when I see something I like.

Riga. 30th of August, 2008.

OMG I think I gonna start type correct in englishw he I see this pic, moust overtated Rīga pic

Nice cat whats his' her name?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.01.2009 - 23:00
Ragana
Rawrcat
No, this is.

(but it's mine too, of course)

His name is Penguin (yep, Penguin).
27.01.2009 - 23:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ragana on 27.01.2009 at 23:00

No, this is.

(but it's mine too, of course)

His name is Penguin (yep, Penguin).

No not this one because its lil better its your own made but its some part of it not all monument
----

27.01.2009 - 23:18
Ragana
Rawrcat
All of them are my own made.
Well I realized that I can't catch all Brīvības monument in one picture - too much people around and it just didn't fit in. And the photo looked terribly after all.
01.02.2009 - 23:59
yvesson
04.02.2009 - 19:21
Baz Anderson
Staff
I bought a new camera a few days ago! If you're interested to see, here's a little demonstration of it.

The first three images show off the zoom. None of these images have been edited.
This is with no zoom at all. Look at the little circle thing next to the window in the distance.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/Baz_Anderson/Lincoln/01far.jpg

This is the same circle thing taking the picture from the same place using only optical zoom. You can still see clear detail on the bricks even this far away.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/Baz_Anderson/Lincoln/02fullop.jpg

This is using full digital zoom too. It doesn't look quite so amazing, but it is a decent quality considering how far away I am.. just go back to the first image and see how far away I am!
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/Baz_Anderson/Lincoln/03dig.jpg

The camera has a really awesome macro mode too, it can take fantastic pictures of things close by. Here is a 100% crop of a picture I took of a Primal Fear patch. Quite cool!
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/Baz_Anderson/Lincoln/04patfull.jpg

And here's another close one of my ring.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/Baz_Anderson/Lincoln/05ring.jpg

I know it cost a chunky amount, but I am super impressed with it. I can't wait to get out there and take some more pictures of various things.

This camera can take pictures into RAW formats instead of converting it into a JPG inside the camera. It's like a digital negative that I develop on the computer with some software - these RAW images are like 13MB but have really good quality compared to the JPG originals, but the drawback is when I take a RAW image it takes something like 5 seconds to process before I can take another picture, so maybe not so ideal for shows.

Still, I just love it so far.
04.02.2009 - 19:57
Ragana
Rawrcat
Whoah!
In general RAW pictures are very interesting. Although I haven't got a camera which can take photos in RAW, I was making sort-of-RAW pictures (converting them to RAW) some time ago. Sure, the pictures weren't that qualitative and beautiful as real-taken pictures in RAW format.
But it looks like a good camera, especially if we're talking about it's optical zoom which is incredible! I wish my camera could do that. What camera do you have?
04.02.2009 - 21:16
yvesson
Hej,
Bridge with RAW is either Olympus so. or Pana FZ28.
04.02.2009 - 22:38
Baz Anderson
Staff
Yep, it is a Panasonic DMC FZ28. Apparently the best kind of camera of its kind - I have been so so impressed with its performance though, that doesn't surprise me.

This is a picture of it with the hood on:
http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/assets/19254.jpg
04.02.2009 - 23:50
yvesson
Hej,
Depends, the canon SX10 IS is close to the pana., and the fuji F100fs is better for low light shots but has less zoom and is bigger/heavier.
About RAW, didn't really managed to use the RAWs from my A540 (CHDK RAW), but anyway a bit to much work on a RAW, only good to try and save a not-so-good pic atm for me. Depends also if you like or not the jpg's out of your cam.
06.02.2009 - 01:24
Walter Iego
Author
Elite
Nice pics, I just bought the Canon G10, thought it was cool to have a compact camera that great specs and easy to carry on with instead of my old Canon 5D...
09.02.2009 - 20:35
Baz Anderson
Staff
Yeh, I have just been experimenting with my RAW pictures.
They do seem to look better than the ones that were took as jpegs, but there is so much to do with RAW files - adding contrast or sharpness or whatever.

I have taken a picture as a jpeg, and also as RAW and developed the RAW with and without my editing - and compared all three pictures.
The jpeg one doesn't have so much detail in it, the RAW without any editing has more detail and the colours around the main focus of the picture have come out better too, but it all looks a little plain and washed out.
The RAW that I edited does look the best, as you would expect, as I have added a bit of contrast, etc. - and so it has the detail of the RAW and brighter colours from the editing too.

Although I am sure after a metal show with dark conditions it would get slightly annoying trying to find the right settings to develop the pictures with - but I suppose taking pictures in RAW does allow for the best quality pictures I can take with this.
09.02.2009 - 22:36
yvesson
Hej,
Well would be interesting to show those, without saying which is which, and let us choose. ^^
10.02.2009 - 02:14
Baz Anderson
Staff
Alrighty then, here are the three pictures:

10.02.2009 - 09:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Baz Anderson on 10.02.2009 at 02:14

Alrighty then, here are the three pictures:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/Baz_Anderson/Lincoln/1.jpg

You live in that house near what car are parket?
Seems prity nice place
----

10.02.2009 - 11:14
yvesson
Hej, you should post 100% crops instead, here I spot only very slight differences (I opened them as 1024x768 in another window, here on MS even smaller pics).

Let's bet the middle one is the jpg out of the cam, first one the RAW and last one your processing of the RAW, because I think panasonic noise reduction removed some details in the middle one (the gears for example), also from what you said you added contrast, looks like the 3rd one has more contrast.
10.02.2009 - 12:35
Baz Anderson
Staff
Yep, you are right. First is RAW, second is jpeg, third is my develop from RAW.
I didn't know the jpeg setting had the noise reduction thing, but that does make sense as it has got rid of some detail.
The real test will be when I get pictures from a show.

It is just tempting to shoot as jpeg seeing as it does take a long time for my computer to develop the pictures too - and I do take a lot of pictures at shows! Haha!
10.02.2009 - 12:45
yvesson
Hej,
You must be able to shoot raw + jpg, then choosing at home which needs to be saved by processing RAWs and which look good enough as jpg ?
And for noise reduction, it applies already at lower ISO on compacts/bridges, but at 400ISO you will notice it much more, here as your pics are at lot smaller than original 10Mpixels, they don't look too bad even without noise reduction. Also why I asked for 100% crops, here we will see real differences. Panasonic is famous for his heavier noise reduction than canon, for example, at 400 ISO you will see less grain/chroma noise but also less details.
10.02.2009 - 13:42
Baz Anderson
Staff
Ok, here are the crops of the pictures in order as they were:

You can see there is more noise on the third one, the one I have developed - but that may be because I put a bit of sharpening on it.

I could take RAW + JPEG, but I'm the kind of person that if I can take a better quality picture, I have to - I would want everything to look as good as it could.
10.02.2009 - 21:42
Linak
I Own You Bitch
Someone is in love.
----
Stick this up your fucking pee-aitch-dee.
12.02.2009 - 20:47
Baz Anderson
Staff
Hahahaha, you can say that again.