Metal Storm logo
New Non-Metal Album Recommendations 2012

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 25.03.2012 - 19:09
Pretty self explanatory. A general forum for everything non-metal that you dug in 2012, be it EBM, punk, noise, jazz, hip-hop et cetera. Youtube clips definitely a good idea when possible, if not a brief description at the very least. Haven't concentrated much on non-metal stuff this year but some interesting stuff that has come my way:
03.04.2012 - 23:03
(((O)))
Sometimes it feels like all my posts are recommendations but what the hell, here is another awesome album from this year!

03.04.2012 - 23:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by (((O))) on 03.04.2012 at 23:03

Sometimes it feels like all my posts are recommendations but what the hell, here is another awesome album from this year!

Great band just like their other band The Kilimajaro Darkjazz Ensemble.
all of which are more or less brain children of jason Kohnen (ex-Celestial Season, Bong Ra)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.04.2012 - 23:36
IronAngel

I'm dying to hear that album. Haven't bothered to download it and it's not on Spotify, but I love these guys. Last album was a disappointment for me, too droney - not that I mind drones in general, but Fuji's strength has always been their melodies.
03.04.2012 - 23:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by IronAngel on 03.04.2012 at 23:36

I'm dying to hear that album. Haven't bothered to download it and it's not on Spotify, but I love these guys. Last album was a disappointment for me, too droney - not that I mind drones in general, but Fuji's strength has always been their melodies.

They will be opening the Roadburn Sunday. Which imo is perfect. Nice chill out music to start the last day after already having had three long days of sensory bludgeoning.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.04.2012 - 00:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Same as IronAngel, looking forward to hearing the new album a lot. I however loved the last album =P
04.04.2012 - 00:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=4365] on 04.04.2012 at 00:41

Same as IronAngel, looking forward to hearing the new album a lot. I however loved the last album =P

The few snippets I heard of the new album are more along the line of Bohren and also Dale Cooper
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.04.2012 - 00:52
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.04.2012 at 00:42

The few snippets I heard of the new album are more along the line of Bohren and also Dale Cooper

Cool, I'm sure I'll like it then. I don't think they've done anything yet that I have't liked.
04.04.2012 - 02:01
IronAngel
Aha, I take back what I said! It's on (Finnish) Spotify now, must've come there today or yesterday. I've been checking pretty regularly. Seems good on first sampling, long tracks building their atmosphere slowly, but more melody and more intimate sounds than the electronic drones of Anthropomorphic.

Dale Cooper gets way too litte recognition, by the way. I think he's actually often more listenable and interesting than these guys or Bohren. Métamanoir was one of my last year's favorites, but it got fairly little publicity.

As for some new music, Yppah's Eighty One is some cool IDM drifting occasionally into electronic ambient territory. It's pretty poppy, but not obnoxiously so. I imagine J.O.O.E. might like it, as it's not that far from Tycho or BoC soundwise (though it's way more upbeat):

Richard Youngs is a pretty interesting and prolific singer-songwriter. His new Core to the Brave album is some jarring and monotonous experimental noise/art folk or something.
04.04.2012 - 15:32
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by IronAngel on 04.04.2012 at 02:01

As for some new music, Yppah's Eighty One is some cool IDM drifting occasionally into electronic ambient territory. It's pretty poppy, but not obnoxiously so. I imagine J.O.O.E. might like it, as it's not that far from Tycho or BoC soundwise (though it's way more upbeat):

Not bad, perhaps a little Moby-ish though? (something about the vocals). Not that Moby-ish is necessarily a bad thing mind.

Anyroad, a couple of new Venetian Snares EPs out this year. I think Aaron Funk is on autopilot these days but he's always fun regardless. I actually prefer the more subdued and IDMish 'Affectionate' to the acid drenched 'Fool The Detector' but both are very listenable

04.04.2012 - 17:25
(((O)))
Yeah, Egor is much less droney than Anthropomorphic. Not sure which one I like the most though.
06.04.2012 - 04:55
Edmund Fogg
Their is surely something Metal going on with this band, but somehow it felt more at his place in this section.

http://newsciencesystem.bandcamp.com/

That is deffinetly looking like a top notch release

----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
08.04.2012 - 15:19
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
What I could only really describe as cinematic dark ambient. Very in your face dark ambient laced with little samples from films (I guess) and other curious entities. I really like it anyway, unnerving stuff.

REQUEST! - What is the bit at 3.25 from (the female vocal). I know it well and I've heard it recently-ish I think. It's doing my head in not knowing what it's from:

Kind of amusing that the backdrop used in this video is, inappropriately, from Oblivion (or could be Skyrim). Something from Silent Hill would have been much better (in fact I suspect there's a whole heap of Silent Hill samples in this song alone)
08.04.2012 - 17:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by [user id=4365] on 08.04.2012 at 15:19
What I could only really describe as cinematic dark ambient.

Heh, when you first showed me that song I forgot to tell you the strong movie-vibe I got from it. It was very cool.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
08.04.2012 - 23:02
Void Eater
Account deleted

Anybody who likes radio hard rock would like this.

What can I say? He's already a legend.
12.04.2012 - 00:29
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Oh shit! I like a band/artist that has over 500,000 listeners on Last.fm! And it's dubstep!!!

Actually it isn't. Apparently this kind of music is known as "Future Garage" - I like this term as I like UK Garage. At any rate this is an excellent EP:

Might as well put the whole thing up.

12.04.2012 - 00:36
Uldreth
Written by [user id=4365] on 12.04.2012 at 00:29

Oh shit! I like a band/artist that has over 500,000 listeners on Last.fm! And it's dubstep!!!

Actually it isn't. Apparently this kind of music is known as "Future Garage" - I like this term as I like UK Garage. At any rate this is an excellent EP:

I have heard him being referred to as post-dubstep, which considering his more mellow, ambient and 'vague' approach to the style, does seem pretty fitting.

I don't know why would he not be dubstep though as his music does kind of fit dubstep's description (the tempo, the rhythm, the omnipresent sub-bass, etc.).

And yeah I like him (and I didn't know he has new EP!). Considering you are way more familiar in underground ambient electronic music than me, I probably won't say new to you but in case you don't know him, check out a dubstep producer called Distance. No 2012 release (as far as I am aware) so far but he plays a style somewhat similiar to Burial (but closer to regular dubstep). He is easily my favourtie dubstep artist.
12.04.2012 - 00:45
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Uldreth on 12.04.2012 at 00:36

I have heard him being referred to as post-dubstep, which considering his more mellow, ambient and 'vague' approach to the style, does seem pretty fitting.

I don't know why would he not be dubstep though as his music does kind of fit dubstep's description (the tempo, the rhythm, the omnipresent sub-bass, etc.).

And yeah I like him (and I didn't know he has new EP!). Considering you are way more familiar in underground ambient electronic music than me, I probably won't say new to you but in case you don't know him, check out a dubstep producer called Distance. No 2012 release (as far as I am aware) so far but he plays a style somewhat similiar to Burial (but closer to regular dubstep). He is easily my favourtie dubstep artist.

To be honest I know nothing about dubstep, aside from the fact it's derived from UK Garage and that most of it is offensive to my ears. The so-called "witch-house" offshoot of dubstep isn't bad. I'll give Distance a go. No promises I'll like it though ;]
12.04.2012 - 00:52
Uldreth
Written by [user id=4365] on 12.04.2012 at 00:45

To be honest I know nothing about dubstep, aside from the fact it's derived from UK Garage and that most of it is offensive to my ears. The so-called "witch-house" offshoot of dubstep isn't bad. I'll give Distance a go. No promises I'll like it though ;]

Early dubstep doesn't sound that different from garage at all. It has nothing to do in sound with the nowadays popular washmashine sound. I imagine you should like him, his music has lots of ambient touches and a nicely dark urban atmosphere, however it is a bit less shapeless than Burial.

Some of his tracks have quite different feelings/perhaps even styles so you might need to try multiple ones before writing him off completely.
12.04.2012 - 10:20
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
The sound of sex!!

Earl Greyhound

You can stream the whole album online, but check out SOS and monkey.
Oh I just realised it's not a "New" album, but its a new find for me.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
12.04.2012 - 17:02
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Found another cool artist - BeatMyth

http://kaparecords.bandcamp.com/album/questionable-image

Some cool breakbeat stuff
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
13.04.2012 - 14:14
InnerSelf
proofread free
Some nice Trip hop

Those guys are awesome and like the guys said they still haven't done anything that I haven't liked, though I've got to admit that I like the Kilimanjaro stuff more.

awesome thread btw will be passing by for the electronica and jazzy stuff.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
13.04.2012 - 15:10
IronAngel
Album of the year so far:

But as soon as the new Regina Spektor gets released, I imagine it usurps the throne. Not a mindblowing track, but singles rarely are and it's still pretty damn good:
14.04.2012 - 12:48
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
For some reason it only occurred to me now but here's a great little EP I found earlier in the year, some instrumental/experimental rock: http://surgeonmusic.bandcamp.com/album/surgeon-ep
15.04.2012 - 19:55
Slayer666
Written by [user id=111774] on 08.04.2012 at 23:02

What can I say? He's already a legend.

Ya know, considering it's coming from him, this song contains a surprisingly low amount of gayness. I'll be damned, he's growing up.
16.04.2012 - 05:44
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Shinedown is quality music.

I love that Venetian Snares album cover.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
16.04.2012 - 07:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff

So it's from last year; sue me.

Excellent French Canadian singer/songwriter art pop.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
25.04.2012 - 13:01
IronAngel
New Bersarin Quartett, very nice easy-listening ambient:

And new Fiona Apple album in June, it's gonna be the bomb:
26.04.2012 - 13:52
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
This is from 2011, but I figured someone here would like it.
----
7.0 means the album is good
02.05.2012 - 16:19
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Yesterday I was checking out this band that got some fame as a opening act for Anathema.

Not really liking it yet, but it got me interested to keep trying.
12.05.2012 - 11:42
Edmund Fogg
Some great bluesy smooth stoner rock for yall. http://woemusic.bandcamp.com/album/woe
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan