Metal Storm logo
2023 Metal Storm Awards Now Open

Look alive, fellas - the 2023 Metal Storm Awards are now open for voting. And you can thank Pope Gregory XIII, because this year, like every year ending in 4, we've got a whole other day in February to spend being atomically super brutal. It's another full roster for you all this year, a total of 272 nominees spread across 26 genre and 2 special categories, and you are required to listen to all of them before voting. Well, it's not like we'll check your homework or anything. But give it a shot - you've got the extra time this year.

We have even more fun for you than we have the last few years, too: please give a hearty welcome to Drama of the Year, which makes a splendiferous return after several years of shame and ignominy. It's been a while; we just couldn't leave Wintersun alone after the year they had. Don't let us down, citizens of Metal Storm.

That's enough jawing; time to start discussing all your picks, what we missed, who's going to win, all the fun stuff that surrounds our favorite time of year.

(Please ignore the fact that not every year ending in the digit 4 is a leap year)
Posted: 01.02.2024 by ScreamingSteelUS

Comments page 3 / 4

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 119   Visited by: 822 users
05.02.2024 - 12:06
ScottyM
Of course Insomnium is going to win their category, but holy crap am I happy took the time to listen through the nominees. Moonlight Sorcery's album Horned Lord of the Thorned Castle is so much fun to listen to!
05.02.2024 - 19:46
Kais
Written by Liafev on 01.02.2024 at 23:54

Awesomeness too hard to injest

Holy shit man, thanks a bunch and well done! Was looking forward for someone to do this, as I barely have time to go through all these lists myself in my hectic schedule.
06.02.2024 - 08:25
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
As expected(from even all platforms), Grindcore in 2023 was a letdown. I'm expecting it will spiral in 2024.
06.02.2024 - 11:28
Liafev
I was in the mood for some power metal today, and checked the awards quickly, but wow this is a very cheesy selection this year for power :/. I wish Schäffer was not a dick and would still be releasing music instead. Went back in time with Tad Morose to satisfy that rare power metal urge.

Also not sure what to think of the fact that Nanowar of Steel got selected. I have such a strong issue with metal that's not serious, call me elitist.
06.02.2024 - 11:55
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by Liafev on 06.02.2024 at 11:28

call me elitist.

Elitist.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
06.02.2024 - 12:25
Liafev
Written by RaduP on 06.02.2024 at 11:55

call me elitist.

Elitist.

06.02.2024 - 12:46
musclassia
Staff

I was in the mood for some power metal today, and checked the awards quickly, but wow this is a very cheesy selection this year for power :/. I wish Schäffer was not a dick and would still be releasing music instead. Went back in time with Tad Morose to satisfy that rare power metal urge.

Also not sure what to think of the fact that Nanowar of Steel got selected. I have such a strong issue with metal that's not serious, call me elitist.

Nanowar Of Steel getting nominated was one of the few picks I was a bit unhappy about - even in weaker years (and tbh, outside of Theocracy and Sacred Outcry, not much impressed in power metal this year), I'd prefer to avoid nominating cover or parody albums, particularly since there was a fairly decent Kamelot album that could have been nominated. However, yeah it wasn't a great year for power mtal, particularly coming on the back of a 2022 that had really solid Blind Guardian, Stratovarius, Gladenfold and Judicator releases to balance out the cheesier nominees
06.02.2024 - 13:05
JoHn Doe
Written by musclassia on 06.02.2024 at 12:46

Nanowar Of Steel getting nominated was one of the few picks I was a bit unhappy about - even in weaker years (and tbh, outside of Theocracy and Sacred Outcry, not much impressed in power metal this year), I'd prefer to avoid nominating cover or parody albums, particularly since there was a fairly decent Kamelot album that could have been nominated. However, yeah it wasn't a great year for power mtal, particularly coming on the back of a 2022 that had really solid Blind Guardian, Stratovarius, Gladenfold and Judicator releases to balance out the cheesier nominees

Narnia, Silver Bullet, Primal Fear, Vision Denied released solid albums last year.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
06.02.2024 - 14:43
EnigmaLake
One of the best metal communities. I’ve been around these parts since the 2000’s
06.02.2024 - 18:17
Liafev

Yeah I actually didn't discover any new power metal this year myself, but I have to admit I haven't been following the genre much except for bands I already know. And I've grown completely out of the cheesy side of power metal, although I still respect that and it has been an important part of my metal journey.

I'll give a try to Theocracy and Sacred Outcry then, and play a few tracks from the other bands just in case, but I guess I would be more attracted by stuff like Iron Savior now, who weren't selected this time.
06.02.2024 - 18:22
Liafev
To be clear: This is not me complaining about the awards at all, I guess power is just not doing it for me this time. But I'm enjoying the shit out of the awards as usual. The Post-Metal selection has impressed me the most so far. I thought it was going to be an easy The Ocean win, but now I have idea what to do, Allochiria, Cursebinder and Nebulae Come Sweet all put out great albums.

And I'm discovering Molybaron just now, Alternative Metal is always a category where I discover great stuff through the awards, I never pay attention to that genre, but always love the selection here.
07.02.2024 - 11:23
ScottyM
Yup, Moonlight Sorcery or Shylmagoghnar should win the melodeath category. Insomnium's latest album is disappointing in comparison to their previous works, and it's very refreshing to see new blood in the category finally get some recognition. I enthusiastically put Moonlight Sorcery's album on repeat while spending hours trying to kill Malenia in Elden Ring. Their album just oozes passion and energy!
07.02.2024 - 12:32
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by ScottyM on 07.02.2024 at 11:23

spending hours trying to kill Malenia in Elden Ring.

How did that go?
----
07.02.2024 - 12:47
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Can someone explain what this write in in the drama award is about?
"Metal Twitter - Meltdown over Darkthrone"
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
07.02.2024 - 14:28
ScottyM
Written by RaduP on 07.02.2024 at 12:32

Written by ScottyM on 07.02.2024 at 11:23

spending hours trying to kill Malenia in Elden Ring.

How did that go?

It never hurt better!
07.02.2024 - 16:40
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Written by Liafev on 06.02.2024 at 18:17

Yeah I actually didn't discover any new power metal this year myself, but I have to admit I haven't been following the genre much except for bands I already know. And I've grown completely out of the cheesy side of power metal, although I still respect that and it has been an important part of my metal journey.

I'll give a try to Theocracy and Sacred Outcry then, and play a few tracks from the other bands just in case, but I guess I would be more attracted by stuff like Iron Savior now, who weren't selected this time.

Yeah, I've listened to the all the Power Metal nominee's and there are a lot of weird choices on this list but it really wasn't a strong year for Power Metal in general. Sacred Outcry, Triumpher, Lovebites, Frozen Crown, Theocracy and Angra all put out good albums this year but the rest are niche type albums that some people will like and most will hate. A lot of big name power metal bands put out albums this year. None of them were particularly great, but I still think would have been a better representation of Power Metal. The power metal community absolutely loves the new Twilight Force record which that got snubbed and I personally really like the new Elvenking. This nominee list just feels like they were trying way too hard to prevent a big name band from winning and instead put filler albums onto the list that most people, even power metal fans, wont enjoy.

Anyway, not sure who my power metal pick will be, leaning Lovebites right now. Going to start going through Melodeath next, hoping that list is stronger!
07.02.2024 - 18:21
Rage10000
Nuclear Power Trio!!!
Mind blown. Wow.
07.02.2024 - 18:36
Bluemobius
The melodic death/extreme power/Gothenburg category is always a tough one for me. There is such a variation of sounds and inspirations across all of the bands that it is really hard for me to pick. I've already changed my vote once. Lol.

Maybe an incorrect opinion, but I also feel like Moonlight Sorcery is more on the black metal side of the spectrum. If you took away the death metal elements, most of the basic song structures and foundations would hold, while I don't think the opposite is true. Either way, definitely a tough decision.
----
I'm back
07.02.2024 - 19:30
JoHn Doe
The Best Heavy / Traditional Metal Album is the most difficult tough choice category this year. And I can think of a couple of albums that did not even make the list.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
07.02.2024 - 19:43
musclassia
Staff
Written by Bluemobius on 07.02.2024 at 18:36

Maybe an incorrect opinion, but I also feel like Moonlight Sorcery is more on the black metal side of the spectrum. If you took away the death metal elements, most of the basic song structures and foundations would hold, while I don't think the opposite is true. Either way, definitely a tough decision.

Their previous EPs were definitely meloblack, and I approached the debut expecting the same, but the more I listened the more it felt inherently closer to meloblack/extreme power - however, it definitely still retains some of their meloblack heritage, so either category would have worked
08.02.2024 - 00:01
Tuonelan
A lot of really diverse and genre-defying nominees in many of the genres. Several times I find myself coming around to voting for a nominee that I like slightly less than another just because I think the other nominee actually fits better in some other category and doesn't represent the best *in category.*

Not a complaint at all. I'm glad to have discovered these artists, and I would not have had they not been nominated. And a lot of times the categories that I think fit best are full of other releases, at least one of which I like better.

So overall, hooray for diverse nominees and finding great new albums to explore.
----
Hopepunk living on a grimdark timeline
08.02.2024 - 00:26
ScottyM
Written by musclassia on 07.02.2024 at 19:43

Written by Bluemobius on 07.02.2024 at 18:36

Their previous EPs were definitely meloblack, and I approached the debut expecting the same, but the more I listened the more it felt inherently closer to meloblack/extreme power - however, it definitely still retains some of their meloblack heritage, so either category would have worked

This is what I love about metal. Everyone memes about how metal has hundreds of subcategories and rabid fans, but when a band puts out a banger of an album that everyone enjoys like Moonlight Sorcery, it doesn't matter what category you slot it in, so long as you get to enjoy it. I don't care if they win any awards, I'm just excited to see others talk about them and enjoy their music the same way I am. You can tell they put a lot of passion and effort into their music. It gives me that vibe of freshness and excitement that I feel like I don't experience all that much as I grow older, and that makes me smile.
08.02.2024 - 11:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Just voted. most from the list but some was from my best and suxer list (one) as write in. I dont care if my chose wins I just vote what I think was best.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.02.2024 - 11:15
Liafev
Btw I so hope Wintersun is not going to win the biggest letdown, they are not even deserving that. They only deserve our ignorance atm, no publicity of any sort. And I'm a huge Wintersun fan.
09.02.2024 - 12:21
Eternity'sChild
Obligatory post about how much I am always looking forward to the MSA every year. Unfortunately, like last year, February is a particularly busy month as I am moving between countries again. Gladly, I am anyway not here for the voting, but rather to discover cool new stuff that I missed last year (which is seemingly a lot as always), so will also come back to the nominees in March. Already discovered some great new music like every year, but only mid-way through the third category of my "to-checkout"-list. Thanks again to the staff for putting together such a diverse selection of great albums yet again!
12.02.2024 - 18:42
poring dark
Is two a trend?
For both power metal and death metal my discoveries were the last listed albums, and my vote went to the ones I had listened to and loved already last year. Last but two and last but one, respectively.
Triumpher has the most engagingly write-up in its category, so I wonder: Are the write- ups a group effort, or does each staff member pick one album to write up, or is one person in charge of an entire subgenre?
12.02.2024 - 18:56
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by poring dark on 12.02.2024 at 18:42

Are the write- ups a group effort, or does each staff member pick one album to write up, or is one person in charge of an entire subgenre?

We claim ahead of time which writeups in each category to do. You'll have categories where I, for example, haven't written any, and no category which was written by a single person. Which was written by whom, that's for you to guess.
----
13.02.2024 - 07:56
poring dark
Thank you. That‘s an answer worthy of an oracle.
Or it could be the intro of a logic game. X did half of the write-ups in category xx but only reviewed a quarter of the albums in that category compared to Y who wrote the first write up in category zz.
I do try to guess, sometimes, who wrote a review while reading it, and am more often wrong than not. Maybe in ten years I can distinguish literary styles well enough to make a guess based on just one paragraph.

Right now, I would guess that…well, since you took time to reply to me, it‘s yours?
13.02.2024 - 13:17
musclassia
Staff
Written by poring dark on 13.02.2024 at 07:56

Thank you. That‘s an answer worthy of an oracle.
Or it could be the intro of a logic game. X did half of the write-ups in category xx but only reviewed a quarter of the albums in that category compared to Y who wrote the first write up in category zz.
I do try to guess, sometimes, who wrote a review while reading it, and am more often wrong than not. Maybe in ten years I can distinguish literary styles well enough to make a guess based on just one paragraph.

Right now, I would guess that…well, since you took time to reply to me, it‘s yours?

If an album has a review, I'd say the chances that the reviewer also wrote the write-up are over 50%, but further from 100% than you'd think, considering the reviewer likely knows the album well enough to pump out a quick write-up. Still, the categories in which a majority of the nominees were reviewed by me are commonly the ones I make the greatest contributions to, such as djent this year. Conversely, last year, I reviewed 7 nominees in both Stoner and Post-, and I think I only did a couple write-ups for each category - it does give an opportunity for people to write a few words about albums that they dig but were gazumped to the review for
16.02.2024 - 01:59
Ball Fondlers

Nanowar Of Steel may be a parody band, but they are actually pretty damn good, as in they can play. Give them a proper try if you haven't (and I don't mean who I'm replying to)

Hits total: 7841 | This month: 33