Metal Storm logo
Industrial Black Metal

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 15.12.2011 - 20:15
Arguably my favourite area of black metal (along with psychedelic, an area certainly not exclusive to industrial, though much harder to define), the Industrial variety is something that has never made much headway, even in black metal circles. It tends to remain in disparate pools, rather than collating into any semblance of "scene" or "movement" or what have you. Personally I'd hate it if it became en vogue and started to (arguably) stagnate like the post-rock, blackgaze, atmo-black bands that are currently trending. Each entity is often unique and forced to define themselves by creative means. In terms of the fangled "atmosphere" that every blackened outfit purports to exude, industrial is by far the most appealing for me, doing away with trite evil and archaic visual themes in favour of an oppressive, mechanised terror, images of decay and post-apocalyptic dischord and themes of politics and philosophy.

And of course, gas masks.

Some favourites of the genre to follow in the first post....
02.07.2014 - 19:17
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by criminal_deity on 02.07.2014 at 19:01
you mean those specific people or the scene in Paris?

Both. I had my share of drama with them, that I didn't find in Lyon and Toulouse. Although I did not spend much time in those two cities, I have friends who tell me there are less tensions than in the Paris groups.
Written by criminal_deity on 02.07.2014 at 19:01
well i'm not particularly interested in issues outside of music, but, being a fan of industrial bm, i am interested in the backgrounds of the people who add the electronic/industrial elements to these projects (Saint Vincent of Blacklodge, Judicael of Neo Inferno 262, The Shocker from Iperyt, etc). France seems to be the most prolific with their number of industrial bm bands and i have been curious as to how/why that managed to happen there.

I understand, same here. But the drama is the reason so many projects are made and broken in such a short period of time in that scene. I am not gravitating around any of those people anymore. So I do not have fresh gossip to give you that could enlighten you as to why x is working with y, and why y took z's concept for the n album.
02.07.2014 - 22:29
well from a general cultural perspective though, not so much individuals, what is it about the scene(s) in France that has made it so conducive to industrial bm? i have an H.I.V.+ vs D.Forma cd from Kubernoise that i think Necrocosm sent me along with an order, and there was JR Rodriguez doing that Sektemtum remix (which was recent), but other than them i know very little of the French electronic/industrial scene or how/why any of them would be tied to the (black) metal scene.
09.08.2014 - 07:28

https://blackpulse.bandcamp.com
16.08.2014 - 06:45
V01d
According to the criteria that has been outlined at the beginning of this thread, one may guess that Death Cult Armageddon is an industrial black metal album. Gas masks, post-apocalyptic themes/artwork, grinding mechanized sounds, and a few samples.
16.08.2014 - 07:10
Ilham
Giant robot
OP would never think Death Cult Armaggeddon is industrial black. Actually no one would. OP just wanted to give a short and not extensive description of the kind of bm he wanted to talk about. That wasn't supposed to be the ultimate definition of the genre.
16.08.2014 - 10:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by V01d on 16.08.2014 at 06:45

According to the criteria that has been outlined at the beginning of this thread, one may guess that Death Cult Armageddon is an industrial black metal album. Gas masks, post-apocalyptic themes/artwork, grinding mechanized sounds, and a few samples.

Not quite sure what your point is. Are you saying that you think DCA is an industrial black metal album, or that you have a better way of defining the subgenre? I would have hoped the accompanying 10+ youtube videos I posted in the first post would have solidified my summary of it (even if a few of those videos and since ceased existing).

Also, I'm not seeing any gas masks associated with that album.
16.08.2014 - 20:06
V01d
Ah. I'm sorry, I was being rather tongue in cheek. I don't think DCA is an industrial black metal album by any means. Rather, it (loosely) contains the bare minimum of what would be required for something industrial esque. In the booklet, there is a character wearing a gas mask standing amidst a post apocalyptic world made of what seems to be scrap metal and bones, and one of the band members is portrayed as a cyborg.

In any case, actual industrial black metal is something I know next to nothing about, so I'm starting with Blut Aus Nord. Starting from the beginning of their discography, I listened to their first two albums (which I know aren't industrial by any means). I have no idea what lies ahead, as I don't want to spoil it for myself before I get the next several albums. !J.O.O.E.!, it was your enthusiasm about BAN that got me really wanting to explore these albums, especially a track I've yet to hear called Procession of the Dead Clowns...
16.08.2014 - 20:11
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by V01d on 16.08.2014 at 20:06
Procession of the Dead Clowns...

You won't need anything else after that.
16.08.2014 - 22:37
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Yeah that song is something else.

Probably worth noting that the first few Blut aus Nord records are not industrial black metal, as you've already noticed. The Work Which Transforms God is their first bona fide industrial album.

Anyway I hope you like the band. I'm pretty enthusiastic about them and their discography is quite varied so hopefully you'll find a few things you like.
16.08.2014 - 22:57
V01d
I remember sampling a track a while ago, a bit of Chapter I off of MoRT, and I loved the oppressive atmosphere and sterile bizarreness of it all. If that is where they are headed, then I am completely on board.
17.08.2014 - 02:01
Savopipo
Written by [user id=4365] on 16.08.2014 at 22:37

Yeah that song is something else.

Probably worth noting that the first few Blut aus Nord records are not industrial black metal, as you've already noticed. The Work Which Transforms God is their first bona fide industrial album.

Anyway I hope you like the band. I'm pretty enthusiastic about them and their discography is quite varied so hopefully you'll find a few things you like.

I really love BaN it's one of the best Black Metal acts ever. I'm not sure if it was already mentioned in the thred but Machinenzimmer 412 is a great band!
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
17.08.2014 - 02:16
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by V01d on 16.08.2014 at 22:57

I loved the oppressive atmosphere and sterile bizarreness of it all. If that is where they are headed, then I am completely on board.

I guess you're gonna like this site =)
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
18.08.2014 - 22:51
Finally...

"Having achieved almost mythical status in black metal lore, 'Planet Satan' has been rumoured since the late 1990's, following the band's debut release, 1996's 'In the Streams of Inferno'. Unifying the core trio of Herr General Cerastes, Svartravn & DrBest, 'Planet Satan' is now upon us, & is set for an October 27th 2014 release on Peaceville Records.

A work of intense and otherworldly black metal power injected with Mysticum's strong cosmic, satanic and psychedelic overtones, 'Planet Satan' welcomes Mysticum to the new millennium with full & unrelenting force, whilst retaining the core elements which made the Norwegians pioneering legends of industrial black metal. Both infernal & nihilistic, as well as apocalyptic in its scope and execution, 'Planet Satan' is a new milestone for the genre in its sublime, chaotic ferocity. Primitive minor-chord riff patterns & tortured vocals mixed with the band's manic and often unconventional programmed drum beats makes this an eerily hypnotic work of the darkest order.

The album was recorded & mixed at Fias Co. Studios with producer Sverre Dæhli, & mastered by Tom Kvålsvoll at Strype Audio in Oslo.

Emerging in the early 1990's, Mysticum brought to the world a completely unique brand of psychedelic discordant black metal with insane drum machine patterns & synths. They were originally signed to Euronymous' Deathlike Silence Productions label, such was his belief in the band. However, this venture proved to be cut short following his death, forcing Mysticum to look elsewhere for the release of their eventual debut album, 'In the Streams of Inferno'."

http://peaceville.com/news/article/142997
18.08.2014 - 23:22
Ilham
Giant robot
Yeah I guess I could listen to the new Mysticum. Just because it's been ages and I'm curious about what they can come up with after all this time.
18.08.2014 - 23:26
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Never really liked Mysticum all that much. I'm hoping they've modernised their sound into something really interesting.
18.08.2014 - 23:34
Ilham
Giant robot
Yeah I'm not a fan either, I just checked on my votes and I discovered a six for one of their albums. And I used to be more generous with my votes back then. But hey, it's so weird to finally be able to say "hey, I know these guys, I'll listen to their new stuff". I feel like I really landed on another planet, I know zero bands now.
18.08.2014 - 23:40
mz

I remember sampling a track a while ago, a bit of Chapter I off of MoRT, and I loved the oppressive atmosphere and sterile bizarreness of it all. If that is where they are headed, then I am completely on board.

Not wanting to spoil it for you, but you would not find anything much similar to that album. Still worth checking since they have done astonishing albums with different ideas.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
19.08.2014 - 00:29
V01d
Written by mz on 18.08.2014 at 23:40

Not wanting to spoil it for you, but you would not find anything much similar to that album. Still worth checking since they have done astonishing albums with different ideas.

I'm really looking forward to what lies ahead. This weekend I'll be picking up The Mystical Beast Of Rebellion, and The Work Which Transforms God, the latter comes with the Thematic Emanation Of Archetypal Multiplicity EP I think. Two weeks after that it's off to get MoRT and Odinist. I have always been a fan of experimental music that pushes boundaries and challenges the listener, as well as more traditional styles of metal.

On the topic of industrial black metal in particular, the only thing I have that comes close is Deleted Scenes From The Transition Hospital. Great album.
19.08.2014 - 00:39
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by V01d on 19.08.2014 at 00:29
The Work Which Transforms God, the latter comes with the Thematic Emanation Of Archetypal Multiplicity EP

With TEOAM and TWWTG you're all set to become a BaN lover. May I suggest you try some P.H.O.B.O.S. as well? It's similar to TWWTG-era BaN. They're in the database, you can for example start withe the split EP they released with BaN this year, here.

Joe don't come in and disagree with me, I'm just simplifying it so he can understand what I'm talking about.
19.08.2014 - 00:40
mz

I'm really looking forward to what lies ahead. This weekend I'll be picking up The Mystical Beast Of Rebellion, and The Work Which Transforms God, the latter comes with the Thematic Emanation Of Archetypal Multiplicity EP I think. Two weeks after that it's off to get MoRT and Odinist. I have always been a fan of experimental music that pushes boundaries and challenges the listener, as well as more traditional styles of metal.

On the topic of industrial black metal in particular, the only thing I have that comes close is Deleted Scenes From The Transition Hospital. Great album.

I wouldn't comment on BaN but yeah, Deleted Scenes From The Transition Hospital is amazing.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
19.08.2014 - 02:56
V01d
Written by Ilham on 19.08.2014 at 00:39

The Work Which Transforms God, the latter comes with the Thematic Emanation Of Archetypal Multiplicity EP

With TEOAM and TWWTG you're all set to become a BaN lover. May I suggest you try some P.H.O.B.O.S. as well? It's similar to TWWTG-era BaN. They're in the database, you can for example start withe the split EP they released with BaN this year, here.

Joe don't come in and disagree with me, I'm just simplifying it so he can understand what I'm talking about.

Right on. I will give P.H.O.B.O.S. a listen after I digest those two BaN albums. Thanks for the recommendation, and the link.
16.09.2014 - 08:08
New N.K.V.D. Oct 17. one track streaming...

https://avantgardemusic.bandcamp.com/album/hakmarrja
16.09.2014 - 15:52
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^ I like the art
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
16.09.2014 - 17:49
Ilham
Giant robot
The photo-compositing is shit and the logo/album title are badly integrated. But that's an album I'll listen to.
17.09.2014 - 01:52
26.09.2014 - 14:23
12.12.2014 - 05:46
VERMIIN666
Hey friends if you can get into blackened industrial noise please check this out.

https://steelhookprostheses.bandcamp.com/album/spiritual-parasites

Stay sick,

VERMIIN666
12.12.2014 - 06:50
December 22
24.12.2014 - 07:03
24.12.2014 - 11:25
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by criminal_deity on 24.12.2014 at 07:03

Helel tape

They're still alive? What's the line-up now?