Metal Storm logo
Music genre you despise the most

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 06.07.2007 - 20:33
i was looking through this forum and found that many people like music which i consider shit. nothing wrong with that, but it made me curious as to what do people on here truly despise.

i, for one, hate improvisational jazz mainly, when the only one who isn't soloing is the drummer playing in 17/13 time signature a 32-bar rhythm.. sure, you're technical, but.... no emotion in your playing, therefore YOU SUCK!
25.09.2007 - 20:04
Stalker
Lone wanderer
OK, I hate all mindless variants of techno/electronic, or whatever is that music called, I mean , theres at least 10000000000 songs that sound actually the same, bas - cymbals, bas cymbals, and repeat to infinity... I dont even consider that a music.....

And of course, "turbo folk", kind of "music" that (un)fortunately exists only on Balkan........
----
25.09.2007 - 20:35
Too many fail.
I don't hate any genre of music, all genres have their gems along with a truckload of steaming shit. It's just a matter of finding what you like.
----
Here is my actual theory beyond the huge, hilarious jokes I have: If you're so pro-life and you're so pro-child, then adopt one that's already here, that's very unwanted and very alone and needs someone to take care of it.
- Bill Hicks
25.09.2007 - 22:04
rageing atheist
Account deleted
At first I intended to proudly claim that I'm so tolerant an idividual that I do not hate any music style, but then something happened as I read the previous posts here. I came to a realize that, though I don't despise any style of music, I despise a certain attitude or certain kind of music that has no artistic value, that neither tries to break any new ground, nor has any special feeling (if bands do something that's not very original, but they do it with authentic feeling towards their music, that's fine), I mean this kind of music that's just empty, produced, devoid of any atmosphee or real feeling, has no imagination whatsoever, you know the deal. Especially despicable are "bands" who even do not write their own songs, these horrible produced pop bands that are fleshed out by some producers to appeal to musically illiterate undemanding audience (though I'm not saying I despise all Pop bands, just those formulaic ones). Also I'm pretty fed up with the more cookie-cutter, formulaic and just plain boring/tasteless parts of the metal scene (or at least what I perceive as boring/cookie cutting/tasteless)
25.09.2007 - 22:59
Too many fail.
Written by [user id=23267] on 25.09.2007 at 22:04

Also I'm pretty fed up with the more cookie-cutter, formulaic and just plain boring/tasteless parts of the metal scene (or at least what I perceive as boring/cookie cutting/tasteless)

Agreed, metal is among the most overpopulated genres, most of the stuff is just very generic, boring stuff to me. I only "follow" a handful of metal bands these days.
----
Here is my actual theory beyond the huge, hilarious jokes I have: If you're so pro-life and you're so pro-child, then adopt one that's already here, that's very unwanted and very alone and needs someone to take care of it.
- Bill Hicks
28.09.2007 - 02:17
Monster_616
Account deleted
I can't stand country music, blues or jazz music. I wouldn't say I hate them, because Im sure at one point I'll hear a song I'll like.
28.09.2007 - 14:32
Warman
Erotic Stains
Probably Metal. Everything sounds the same and is there any Metal vocalist out there who knows how to sing? I mean... it's such a stupid genre without intelligence or any emotions. The only Metal I can listen too without being bored to death is Limp Bizkit.
----
29.09.2007 - 00:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=26042] on 28.09.2007 at 02:17

I can't stand country music, blues or jazz music. I wouldn't say I hate them, because Im sure at one point I'll hear a song I'll like.

If you cant stand blues why you like metal, blues and jaz are metal roots, but moust ppl dont remeber it
Black Sabbath start like BLUES too
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.09.2007 - 01:31
Asphyxia
Account deleted
Written by Warman on 28.09.2007 at 14:32

Probably Metal. Everything sounds the same and is there any Metal vocalist out there who knows how to sing? I mean... it's such a stupid genre without intelligence or any emotions. The only Metal I can listen too without being bored to death is Limp Bizkit.

I think we can all agree on that.

For me, I can't stand hip hop, Jazz, Funk or Reggae.
29.09.2007 - 17:35
Too many fail.
Written by Bad English on 29.09.2007 at 00:40

If you cant stand blues why you like metal, blues and jaz are metal roots, but moust ppl dont remeber it

Yes blues had a huge influence on the developement of western music and eventually metal but Bs was just a blues derivative at best in their very early days, quite different from traditional blues however. And where are Metal's jazz roots? I hear people saying crap like this all the time and I have no idea what they are talking about. To this day is haven't heard more than a handful of bands that were truely jazzy and tbh none of them are amongst the early metal bands. And besides, as much as i personally like jazz and blues, the fact that metal wouldnt exist without blues is not a very solid reason for a metal fan to HAVE to like blues .
It's like me telling you "hey, listen to african tribal music, without it there would be no blues!"
----
- Bill Hicks
29.09.2007 - 20:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Too many fail. on 29.09.2007 at 17:35

Yes blues had a huge influence on the developement of western music and eventually metal but Bs was just a blues derivative at best in their very early days, quite different from traditional blues however. And where are Metal's jazz roots? I hear people saying crap like this all the time and I have no idea what they are talking about. To this day is haven't heard more than a handful of bands that were truely jazzy and tbh none of them are amongst the early metal bands. And besides, as much as i personally like jazz and blues, the fact that metal wouldnt exist without blues is not a very solid reason for a metal fan to HAVE to like blues .
It's like me telling you "hey, listen to african tribal music, without it there would be no blues!"

I agree blues in 30 thies was much better how nowdays IMO it died in late 60ties and jazz and blues goes together and where are jazz in metal, go listen Cynic, Atheist and even a simple bass guitar
----

29.09.2007 - 21:54
Too many fail.
Written by Bad English on 29.09.2007 at 20:20

Written by Too many fail. on 29.09.2007 at 17:35

I agree blues in 30 thies was much better how nowdays IMO it died in late 60ties and jazz and blues goes together and where are jazz in metal, go listen Cynic, Atheist and even a simple bass guitar

I didn't say (at least intentionally) that blues was dead in anyway or early blues was better than modern, in fact I prefer the more modern stuff over the real oldschool guys. The point was that IMO Black Sabbath wasn't so bluesy as many of you say it was, maybe some of the REAL early stuff when they still wwent with a different name. And as far as blues dying goes, well pure blues music (just like any other genre) is confined within certain ideas, once you start introducing new themes you get various subgenres and such. Yeah I guess the original blues forms are dead in a sense that theyve been literally done to death, BUT they are eing incorporated into new styles. Stevie Ray Vaughan for example plays some relly crazy blues stuff that while leaning towards the classic style at times, is still very different from it. And of course the genre is long been a part of jazz and fusion bands as well as metal, in fact If im not mistaken the whole tritone concept was originally taken into wider use in blues music along with the adoption of the pentatonic scale with the added bluenotes.

As i've stated in another thread, I don't really agree with Atheist, and Cynic being called jazz metal or whatnot. Sure the musician ship is great, but that alone is hardly a reason to call something jazzy. AND I assumed we were talking about the very roots of metal, not bands that emerged later.
As far as the early bands go, can you seriously tell me than Judas priest, venom motorhead and such were influenced by jazz to an extent that it showed up in their music? of course I could be utterly wrong, as I rarely listen to these bands, if so give examples.
----
- Bill Hicks
29.09.2007 - 22:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I wont discuss it Im lazy but go in ANUS.com read ariticls
Blues I raely love old school blues from 30 its alive, awsome, great and TrOO
Same whit modern metal I dont like it

I never had sad BS was bles band yes thay had influencies but ist doom, heavy metal it depends of era but have you hear first 3 albums?
----

29.09.2007 - 22:33
Too many fail.
Written by Bad English on 29.09.2007 at 22:09

I wont discuss it Im lazy but go in ANUS.com read ariticls
Blues I raely love old school blues from 30 its alive, awsome, great and TrOO
Same whit modern metal I dont like it

I never had sad BS was bles band yes thay had influencies but ist doom, heavy metal it depends of era but have you hear first 3 albums?

I never realy got into the non ozzy stuff, just the first 4 albums.
----
- Bill Hicks
30.09.2007 - 23:13
Øyvind
Grave Digger
Stuff I hate: Turbo folk (horror, if anyone wants to know what TF is, send me a PM), and any music without a melody (no matter if it's low quality electronics, like techno or black metal made by heroin addicts )
----
04.10.2007 - 20:17
Kharn
Account deleted
British Indie stuff(Snow patrol, kaiser chiefs) and generic manufactured pop pish.
05.10.2007 - 02:16
Inlé
"Indie" is too high a label for those.

I would say Fratellis, Kaiser Chiefs, Arctic Monkeys, Snow Patrol etc are just plain pop. Verging on "boybands with instruments"...

I agree though, that trendy stuff is making the U.K look crap, lol, it is that bad... I won't even go into the fans either :X
18.10.2007 - 22:54
TDFX
I can't really say that I 'hate' any particular genre of music, because I've learned to sort of filter it out as background noise. This applies to most radio-friendly bands, and more progressive styles of music as well.
----
Last.fm
03.11.2007 - 01:03
Fuath
any thing to do with cutting of ones wrists just pisses me off (emo music)
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

07.11.2007 - 09:07
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Fuath on 03.11.2007 at 01:03

i agree. emo music is not music. bitching about your problems and cutting yourself while not trying to improve yourself or fix said problems is cowardly.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
07.11.2007 - 09:18
Deathamphetamine
Account deleted
Modern day glam-rock bands like Fall Out Boy and Panic at the Disco
07.11.2007 - 13:43
Deadsoulman
Elite
Written by TDFX on 18.10.2007 at 22:54

I can't really say that I 'hate' any particular genre of music, because I've learned to sort of filter it out as background noise.

That is exactly what I've come to do.

Besides, I do understand the need for mainstream, easy-listening, produced-to-sell-millions bands. The proportion of the population who really cares about music is very, very small. Most people don't give a tiny shit about it. All they need is something sweet they can play in the background without really thinking about it. Something disposable but that they can remember after one listen. I think it's fair enough they have what they want. People can't be blamed for not wanting to be music experts or belonging to a particular scene.

All this to say that although there's a lot of music I don't like (actually, I'm much more picky when it comes to non-metal music), there's nothing I despise, because everything is useful.
07.11.2007 - 17:10
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
As of today it is Electronic music. I just dont understand how people can stand such crap, the other day a kid started talking to me on MSN saying how great a song was, how it had 100 beats per minuted, and all that crap... Anyways, I ended up getting the song and listened to the whole thing.... Something that I deeply regreat because it was 8 minutes of the exact same sound over and over again -_-

Anyways, at last now I have theory why there is so much extasy and LSD in that stupid scene. Perhaps peopple must be druged to listen to such a crap!

And Ha! 100 or 200 beats per second is nothing compared to the speed of the drums in many metal bands xD
----
29.11.2007 - 08:39
Oracle
Orcinus
I cannot stand Rap, Hip Hop, RnB, Jazz, and techno. Alot of Rap songs these days are about gangstas's, murder, guns and crap like that and i cant stand listening to it. i dont consider it music anyway. Hip Hop i found extremely boring and i cannot sit their and listen to it and the same goes to Jazz and techno. I hate what RnB singers sing about and all they do in their songs in whine about their bad relationships and the songs are about stupid things.
30.11.2007 - 04:53
Oracle
Orcinus

When you say Metal do you mean bands like Linkin Park and Nu Metal bands? Im just confused thats all :
30.11.2007 - 06:10
Opium
Account deleted
Written by Oracle on 30.11.2007 at 04:53

When you say Metal do you mean bands like Linkin Park and Nu Metal bands? Im just confused thats all :

Jodie, he's being sarcastic
30.11.2007 - 07:21
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt

So you hate black metal too?
30.11.2007 - 07:32
Fuath
Written by Dangerboner on 30.11.2007 at 07:21

So you hate black metal too?

do they cut their wrists? or someone elses??
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

30.11.2007 - 07:47
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Yes, some do on stage. I believe Dead was notorious for doing that.
30.11.2007 - 12:06
Damnated
Churchburner
^^ Drakh Wrath of Enochian Crescent once cut his wrist so deep that he had to be hospitalized. After the accident, there was so much blood on stage that Emperor refused to play until it was cleaned up.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.

30.11.2007 - 12:15
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by [user id=12867] on 30.11.2007 at 06:10

Written by Oracle on 30.11.2007 at 04:53

Jodie, he's being sarcastic

Haha, thanks for clearing that out man!
----