Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm - Design Update

Hi all!

It's been a while since Metal Storm had a proper update. A lot of layouts were rather outdated and it looked terrible on mobile devices.

I started working on a redesign over a year ago, but due to chronic lack of time and Metal Storm's insane amount of pages, the progress was very slow. Now, while not every page has been redesigned, I feel it's ready for release - I certainly wouldn't want to drag it for another year. The remaining pages can then slowly follow as I complete them.

The biggest improvements are centered around responsive layout, which should now scale nicely all the way down to smartphones. A lot of layouts, some sections and functionalities have been updated, most notably the front page and private messaging. My biggest efforts were directed at the most vital parts of the site, like band pages, the forum and publications.

Due to the increased image sizes, many old album and band images wil appear stretched - please replace them with new ones, they will be saved in higher resolution. I will also work on automatically updating gallery thumbnails, which used to be very small and now will look stretched as well.

Please report any broken layouts and bugs here. Though make sure you clear your browser cache before you complain

Happy New Year!

Source: metalstorm.net
Posted: 14.01.2017 by Ivan

Comments page 5 / 7

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 192   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 515 users
16.01.2017 - 18:10
EricAxel36
Every page is messed up for me. Front page things all overlap and it's unusable/unreadable.

Everything is compressed to the left hand path (err side) so the sidebar is just on top of everything and text and links all just overlap with eachother.

On mobile
16.01.2017 - 18:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by EricAxel36 on 16.01.2017 at 18:10

Every page is messed up for me. Front page things all overlap and it's unusable/unreadable.

Everything is compressed to the left hand path (err side) so the sidebar is just on top of everything and text and links all just overlap with eachother.

On mobile

clean a catch
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.01.2017 - 19:05
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Looks great on phone. On desktop I'm using Nightly (base of Firefox) and it's completely unreadable.

Just feedback
----
16.01.2017 - 19:35
BORT
No Charts on the home page. I like looking at them.
16.01.2017 - 22:57
Metren
Dreadrealm
Looks nice. Love that the font's bigger and easier on the eyes. Good job!
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
17.01.2017 - 00:44
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Its great to see some a more modern design here, well done Ivan!
17.01.2017 - 03:47
I love how it looks like on the phone!
I would like to say the same about how it looks in the desktop, but it's kinda messed up.
17.01.2017 - 07:31
Sonic MrSumo
Well done Ivan and team. Hands down the best site on the www!
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
17.01.2017 - 08:03
sbgmetal
How do you clean catch?
17.01.2017 - 08:46
RazMan
Written by sbgmetal on 17.01.2017 at 08:03

How do you clean catch?

Google, "Clean cache" + Whatever browser you are using. You'll get step by step instructions as first result.
17.01.2017 - 09:14
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Just a small one: when you get an update about a new release, you can't click "you own this" directly from the update. You have to go to the album page and click it there.
17.01.2017 - 10:09
s_t_s
Seldom use my phone to browse the web (yeah, old monkey ) but it's always nice to see a beloved website get even better. Thanks a lot for the huge amount of work and passion injected into Metalstorm !
17.01.2017 - 11:05
SSM
Massacred
This is just great.
17.01.2017 - 12:28
Litvin
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 16.01.2017 at 13:40

Written by Litvin on 16.01.2017 at 12:01

That is how the new layout looking in my borwser https://snag.gy/V0XE1I.jpg. I am on latest Opera. Plaese fix.

Clear your cache/browser and restart opera. It will work.

Ctrl+F5 did the trick, thanks for pointing that out.
17.01.2017 - 12:30
Litvin
Written by Auntie Sahar on 15.01.2017 at 02:33

Written by Litvin on 15.01.2017 at 01:29

The thing is completely broken in Opera browser

Yeah I use Opera as well and it was indeed looking pretty fucked when I first logged back on. Cleared cache and cookies though and it was fine after that, give it a try

Ctrl+F5 did the trick for me, try this out yourself.
17.01.2017 - 15:12
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
So today morning there were a lot of people updating the albums' covers to higher resolution versions
Mostly they were originally 100x100 and the users were sending them on higher than that.
Then I accepted such edits...

But when I went to the bands' pages to see if the changes were actually being done it seems they are still using the old image, even after the edit acception?? (I right click copy the image adress and paste on another tab annd it redirects to the old one, 100x100 version)

Is it because the server takes a while to update such stuff or is there still some resolution limit of some sort?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
17.01.2017 - 15:18
Paz
Elite
Written by Karlabos on 17.01.2017 at 15:12

Is it because the server takes a while to update such stuff or is there still some resolution limit of some sort?

Did you refresh the album's page after an update?
17.01.2017 - 15:45
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Paz on 17.01.2017 at 15:18

Did you refresh the album's page after an update?

Oh... That's right
I kept refreshing with just F5 instead of ctrl+F5
yeah, that works =p
----
- Reimu Hakurei
17.01.2017 - 17:04
EricAxel36
Written by Bad English on 16.01.2017 at 18:52

Written by EricAxel36 on 16.01.2017 at 18:10

On mobile

clean a catch

Thanks.

Navigation is better, but I hate scrolling for days. I could fit so much content on my screen before.
17.01.2017 - 19:29
Rot Teufel
I haven't checked at all the whole function of the new layout, but so far those are mine impression.

From a positive side, i like the bigger font, it's overall more readable, the edit profile menu is cleaner, discographies (studio, EP, demo), forum looks tide, the band page on the bottom looks a bit confused ("Fans also like" should have smaller thumb and a similar menu to "Similar bands" imho)
From a negative side, i prefer to have the news at the center of the site with a small preview of the text, the quick login menu is missing, rate album function doesn't work (disappears and stop)

Probably is probably better on mobile (i never have problem with the old layout anyway), but a bit confused on monitors. My 2 cent.
----
Destroy all dreams, illusion damned in fire... A hellish need for power, it's my dark desire...
17.01.2017 - 20:43
Vombatus
Potorro
Would like to mention that:

- On band pages, the "concert" part doesn't allow to check past events, only upcoming.
- You can't preview posts anymore (mostly irrelevant, but was nice to see if links inserted were correct).
18.01.2017 - 13:03
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Just noticed now you can't see the fans of the bands anymore. I liked seeing who liked certain bands lol
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
18.01.2017 - 16:51
AmooKia
Sorry to say that but the new design is by all means a catastrophe ...
18.01.2017 - 17:22
floc168
Was a mess on my browser at first, but cleared my cache as advised, and now it looks great. I have rarely (never?) participated in much discussion on this site, but I am a chronic visitor and have been introduced to many an awesome face melting metal band here.

So I thought I'd take a minute to say thanks to all who put their time into making this site awesome!
18.01.2017 - 19:52
ANGEL REAPER
Well , this is certainly ... different .
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
18.01.2017 - 20:14
VIG
Account deleted
The album covers are too big and fuzzy. It's not the biggest deal but it bugs me.
18.01.2017 - 20:15
VIG
Account deleted
Written by BloodTears on 18.01.2017 at 13:03

Just noticed now you can't see the fans of the bands anymore. I liked seeing who liked certain bands lol

Oh my god, I thought I was the only one who was thinking that!
18.01.2017 - 21:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

So today morning there were a lot of people updating the albums' covers to higher resolution versions
Mostly they were originally 100x100 and the users were sending them on higher than that.
Then I accepted such edits...

But when I went to the bands' pages to see if the changes were actually being done it seems they are still using the old image, even after the edit acception?? (I right click copy the image adress and paste on another tab annd it redirects to the old one, 100x100 version)

and if img is different visually don't do it, reject we accept very 1th img, re realize is different! we keep original
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.01.2017 - 21:36
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Bad English on 18.01.2017 at 21:35

and if img is different visually don't do it, reject we accept very 1th img, re realize is different! we keep original

Yeah, I know. I've been doing that
----
- Reimu Hakurei
18.01.2017 - 23:25
I'm sorry but I really can't believe this new design.Also, you can't have made the charts disappear on the main page. Most of the time, that's the only reason I enter MS to see if there is a new remarkable album.

Hits total: 7770 | This month: 12