Metal Storm logo
Deathstars

Original post

Posted by Arwen, 07.07.2006 - 08:14
I wanted to ask people their opinion about that band, cause I was pleasantly chocked when I saw them a week afgo in Estonia when they performed in Hard Rock Laager. A band consisting of 5 young boys ( maybe not so young anymore ) Synthetic Gothic ,dark music with beautiful and deep vocals. AS much as I could tell, they're amazing and have lots of individual issues in their music, even the topics enbrace more the vival things and concern all the people. I'm just searching information about them and trying to get to know them, but I'm sure that I won't dissapoint in them.

The new generation as they say they are...Synthetic generation...

What do you think?
09.02.2009 - 00:11
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by X-Ray Rod on 06.02.2009 at 19:50

Written by Warman on 06.02.2009 at 01:58

Setlist:

Blitzkrieg Boom

Damn... that song must be a fucking bomb live.

It sure is.
----
09.02.2009 - 14:36
Slayer666
Written by albatros on 08.02.2009 at 23:06

Written by Slayer666 on 08.02.2009 at 21:28

Now, that's just stereotyping people!

True, but I think, this is what the world is like.

You (or at least I) never understand a person or a thing or a phenomenon in its full entirety. Man (and occassionally woman) is observing and building a theory around these observations and then the theory is tested against the experiment. If the theory is useless it gets thrown away. So I think all of our western culture is based on stereotyping. I think stereotyping is just another word for building a simplified model in order to understand the world.

Written by Slayer666 on 08.02.2009 at 21:28

How can you possibly know what music they listen to from their looks?

Uhm, many metalheads still follow the tradition to publish their musical tastes in plain language somewhere on their body. Me included. Even in the office. Their forms of expression are plenty: a tattoo on the head, or a T-Shirt with the band name in bold letters, or a handwritten "Cradle Of Filth" or "Children Of Bodom" remark on a jeans-handbag or rucksack, or patches, or buttons, or maybe a long evening robe if the young lady is about to face a gothic band .. so I think it's not that hard.

Finally I ended up classifying Cradle Of Filth as a band, that suits the need of young people, who enjoy a mild shock effect in their music but don't want to stray too far off the beaten path.

Good thing I strive to stay as far away as possible from western culture influences than. Nothing is ever that simple. There isn't a thing in this world for which you can never find any exceptions, that is always the same. It doesn't work that way.
About the looks, I didn't mean it that way. Of course a guy listens to, say, Iron Maiden if he has a shirt with "IRON MAIDEN" written on it. I meant that you can't tell if he isn't wearing such... uhm, props. I look perfectly normal, no long hair, no ripped shirts, perfectly normal even a bit nerdish, perhaps. Yet, see my "Favourite Bands" list.
Finnaly, it doesn't matter what you classify them, they KICK ASS and that's all that matters.
09.02.2009 - 17:23
albatros
Written by Slayer666 on 09.02.2009 at 14:36

Finnaly, it doesn't matter what you classify them, they KICK ASS and that's all that matters.

Damn right . Thanks for the chat and good luck.
09.02.2009 - 17:47
Slayer666
Written by albatros on 09.02.2009 at 17:23

Wow, you agreed just like that? Weird...
09.02.2009 - 18:58
albatros
Written by Slayer666 on 09.02.2009 at 17:47

Written by albatros on 09.02.2009 at 17:23

Wow, you agreed just like that? Weird...

Look, I fully agree, that your own (educated) taste and opinion is all, that should count for you, to find your own way in the world.

I don't agree with you, what regards the principle of theory and experiment, or the usefulness of simplified models, but I won't start a major debate about this in a DEATHSTARS thread or anywhere else. You're right, there are flaws in this system. Every scientist knows about them, but I don't know any better method to gain insight, so what.

For me DEATHSTARS are fun (catchy, yet a bit mysterious) and for you Cradle Of Filth are fun and I suspect for a moment I came dangerously close to ruining this fun for you. So that's, where I'd like to stop for now.

I think this forum should help everybody to enjoy metal and not to piss someone off. However, I definitely enjoyed getting an insight in some of your thoughts.
10.02.2009 - 18:29
Slayer666
Wow, Night Electric Night got some really crapy grades. 7.5 so far...
10.02.2009 - 18:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Slayer666 on 10.02.2009 at 18:29

Since when is 7.5 crappy?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.02.2009 - 18:53
Slayer666
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.02.2009 at 18:49

Not really crappy, more average. But since I see many fans, that's odd. Albums here mostly have 8.0 grades, so I kinda consider everything under that crappy. Force of habbit, I'm afraid.
10.02.2009 - 18:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Slayer666 on 10.02.2009 at 18:53

Not really crappy, more average. But since I see many fans, that's odd. Albums here mostly have 8.0 grades, so I kinda consider everything under that crappy. Force of habbit, I'm afraid.

Not even average
Just click on the "rate"-button and you'll see 6 = average, 7 = good, 8 = very good, 9 = brilliant, 10 = perfect.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.02.2009 - 19:02
Slayer666
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.02.2009 at 18:57

Written by Slayer666 on 10.02.2009 at 18:53

Not even average
Just click on the "rate"-button and you'll see 6 = average, 7 = good, 8 = very good, 9 = brilliant, 10 = perfect.

Yes, I know, but you are missing the point. I said most albums have grades like 8.0 or higer, so it just feels crappy to see one with a 7.5 rating (7.4 at the time when I'm writting this).
By the way, what is European Flower Metal?
10.02.2009 - 19:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Slayer666 on 10.02.2009 at 19:02

Yes, I know, but you are missing the point. I said most albums have grades like 8.0 or higer, so it just feels crappy to see one with a 7.5 rating (7.4 at the time when I'm writting this).

Yeah, sorry, I missed that point.

European Flower Metal is bands such as Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica, Rhapsody, Hammerfall, Edguy, Gamma Ray, Freedom Call, Sinergy, Heavenly, Helloween, etc. etc.
I coined that phrase cause the music reminds me of someone dancing through the fields whilst picking flowers.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.02.2009 - 19:26
Slayer666
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.02.2009 at 19:08

European Flower Metal is bands such as Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica, Rhapsody, Hammerfall, Edguy, Gamma Ray, Freedom Call, Sinergy, Heavenly, Helloween, etc. etc.
I coined that phrase cause the music reminds me of someone dancing through the fields whilst picking flowers.

Ah, so you are the starter of the "Extreme Crusade" than?
10.02.2009 - 19:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Slayer666 on 10.02.2009 at 19:26

Here on MS, yes
But let's get back on-topic.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.02.2009 - 19:29
Slayer666
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.02.2009 at 19:27

Written by Slayer666 on 10.02.2009 at 19:26

I have nothing to say really... I've only heard a few tracks from Night Electric Night on Youtube. More brutal than Termination Bliss.

Here on MS, yes
But let's get back on-topic.

I don't know what to say... I've heard only a few tracks from the latest album on Youtube. More brutal than Termination Bliss.
11.02.2009 - 02:26
Warman
Erotic Stains
Wouldn't really call Deathstars brutal but NEN is more... harsh in its sound. But overall it's not that different from TB. The new album feels like a natural continuation of their sound.
All their albums are pretty dark. "Synthetic Generation" had a sort of desperate dark sound over it, "Termination Bliss" a more sad one with the darkness creeping out here and there while "Night Electric Night" is more like a fist of darkness right in your face.

The album is still on repeat in my MP3. I might actually think it's their best effort so far.
So... how long do I have to wait for number 4? At least give me a live CD/DVD during the wait. They probably are one of my favourite live bands.
----
17.02.2009 - 09:35
Slayer666
Written by Warman on 11.02.2009 at 02:26

Wouldn't really call Deathstars brutal but NEN is more... harsh in its sound. But overall it's not that different from TB. The new album feels like a natural continuation of their sound.
All their albums are pretty dark. "Synthetic Generation" had a sort of desperate dark sound over it, "Termination Bliss" a more sad one with the darkness creeping out here and there while "Night Electric Night" is more like a fist of darkness right in your face.

The album is still on repeat in my MP3. I might actually think it's their best effort so far.
So... how long do I have to wait for number 4? At least give me a live CD/DVD during the wait. They probably are one of my favourite live bands.

I jost got NEN (don't ask how), and I have to admit, it's not half-bad!
25.02.2009 - 00:40
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Aaa, went to see them finally last friday! It was a blast, I was a huge fan before, now I'm even bigger! The guys were amazing, the setlist was great - Synthetic Generetion, Termination Bliss, Night Electric Night, all was there. I have to say Whiplasher and Skinny are the best, having great communication with public. The sound was great and ther performance amazing. I only wished it lasted longer - I could easily have listened them for 5 hours playing all of their songs and I missed Greatest Fight On Earth, being my personal best. Needless to say, the crowd - inclufing me - went nust when Cyanide was on.

I really really hope to see them live soon again!

As for the new album, I needed a couple of listens to get it into my stream, being all in love with Termination Bliss and so far I find it a bit darker and heavier, which is, great! Especially Venus In Arms and Chertograd, great songs :thumbsup:
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
25.02.2009 - 03:26
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by AnGina-- on 25.02.2009 at 00:40

Greatest Fight On Earth

That one's pretty cool live. Saw them perform it summer '07. Me myself would kill to hear "Death in Vouge" live!
----
25.02.2009 - 09:56
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
I finally got a chance to hear the new album. I'm dissappointed. It was really boring I was hoping for a killer album
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
25.02.2009 - 10:45
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by Warman on 25.02.2009 at 03:26

Written by AnGina-- on 25.02.2009 at 00:40

Greatest Fight On Earth

That one's pretty cool live. Saw them perform it summer '07. Me myself would kill to hear "Death in Vouge" live!

Yea, I'd say... Well, at least I got my #2, which uis Trinity Fields. It was freakin amazing hearing that song live. I hope they'll be getting back soon, cause even if they play the whole setlist the same as they did now, I'd still go see them again
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
10.03.2009 - 17:19
Olli
I listened to the new album.. I don't know what it is but I found it really dull. Listened to it 2 or 3 times and I can't bear to listen to it again. It's a shame as I really liked the first 2 albums.
I guess I should be glad I got to see them live before they released an album I don't like
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
16.03.2009 - 23:32
Slayer666
Written by Olli on 10.03.2009 at 17:19

I listened to the new album.. I don't know what it is but I found it really dull. Listened to it 2 or 3 times and I can't bear to listen to it again. It's a shame as I really liked the first 2 albums.
I guess I should be glad I got to see them live before they released an album I don't like

It's really weird, but Night Electric Night is the best work they have ever done, if you ask me. Harsher AND darker than TB and SG. In fact, I might even go as far as saying I quite like it...
17.03.2009 - 01:30
Warman
Erotic Stains
To me it's also their best effort so far and I really liked "Synthetic Generation" and WORSHIPPED "Termination Bliss" (still do). I don't know what it is with "Night Electric Night". Maybe it's the fact that it isn't as popular to the mainstream as TB is/was?
----
17.03.2009 - 15:46
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
I kinda agree with @Warman. I also totally worship TB, it's one of my favourite albums in general, but Night Electric Night has overcame me just as easily, if not even more. I can't get enough of it, all songs are just so... argh, raw and organic, energetic, dark and mesmerizing. I just bought the Night Electric Night Deluxe CD And I'm gonna go see them again in July.

Yes, it's true, I'm kinda obsessed. :/
----
17.03.2009 - 21:54
Slayer666
Written by AnGina-- on 17.03.2009 at 15:46

I kinda agree with @Warman. I also totally worship TB, it's one of my favourite albums in general, but Night Electric Night has overcame me just as easily, if not even more. I can't get enough of it, all songs are just so... argh, raw and organic, energetic, dark and mesmerizing. I just bought the Night Electric Night Deluxe CD And I'm gonna go see them again in July.

Yes, it's true, I'm kinda obsessed. :/

AAAAH!!!! CHILL!!!! Kidding. TB had a few tracks I liked, but as a whole, it just lacked harshness I like and made up for it with very little. I just love Blitzkrieg (certanly the harshest and one of the most stylish they've done), Tounges (mixture of female, shreaking and deep voices is just magic) and Virtue To Vice (so freakin' dark and such a magnificent atmosphere).
But in NEN, I like almost everything: Chertograd, Opium, Night Electric Night, The Fuel Ignites, Death Dies Hard...
30.03.2009 - 01:37
Dominus
The Shooter
I like Night Electric Night . Is a good album but nothing more.
12.05.2009 - 02:12
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
I disagree with you, Lucifer. Synthetic Generation still sounds rather unpolished imo. I only recently started listening to them and I find Deathstars quite a nice change compared to my usual platter of melodeath, power and sympho metal. I started off with Night Electric Night and then Termination Bliss, then lastly Synthetic generation. I only like NEN and TB, found them a nice listen immediately but Synthetic Generation really failed to catch my attention comparing to the other two.
----
loves 小巫
12.07.2009 - 16:09
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
So I saw Deathstars again on Sunday when they were playing on Metal Camp, and again, it was awesome! I only wished they played longer, they only played for 50 minutes And they cut most of the songs from Synthetic Generation that they played when I saw them on February (NEN tour) and that kinda sucked. But the show was a bit different, great of course, Whiplasher had some hilarious comments about being a ''foreplay for their little norwegian friends Dimmu Borgir AGAIN'' and the guys just kicked ass on the stage, putting together a flawless show. v

So yea, I'm a total Deathstasr freak and I'm totally thinking about seeing them on October when they're playing in Vienna.
----
10.09.2009 - 03:56
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Well, NEN it's still a great album... very dark, not as industrial but a bit more organic and harsh. but I feel that they'restill looking for something... As if tehy were thinking "the 4th album will be the shit"
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
24.09.2009 - 13:13
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 10.09.2009 at 03:56

Well, NEN it's still a great album... very dark, not as industrial but a bit more organic and harsh. but I feel that they'restill looking for something... As if tehy were thinking "the 4th album will be the shit"

I hope you're right and I hope they succeed with it in that case!
----