Metal Storm logo
Your Policy On Listening To Satanic Metal

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 02.09.2011 - 02:37
I chose option number 4. When I started listening to metal, I was so strict that I stopped listening to Iron Maiden because of TNOTB. But then, especially when I started getting into death metal, I knew I must tolerate it if it's borderline or if it's one line per song. That's the way it goes for me. I listen to bands that blaspheme a little like Cryptopsy and Dismember, but bands like Deicide and Morbid Angel aren't accepted.

Poll

Which is your policy?

I listen to it. I don't read the lyrics.
I listen to it. I'm a fan of satan!
I don't listen to it at all!
I listen to it. I don't like the lyrics.
I listen to borderline stuff.

Total votes: 192
30.03.2012 - 09:04
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by elekctric on 30.03.2012 at 09:00
And he liked em!

That's because he obviously has a priest fetish.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
30.03.2012 - 09:08
elekctric
Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.03.2012 at 09:04

Written by elekctric on 30.03.2012 at 09:00
And he liked em!

That's because he obviously has a priest fetish.

I would imagine or is a fan of ghost writers
30.03.2012 - 09:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by elekctric on 30.03.2012 at 09:08
ghost writers

I just remembered watching A Scooby-Doo episode with these fake ghosts driving a red car. Good times.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
30.03.2012 - 09:18
elekctric
Amen amen.... zoinks
03.04.2012 - 03:38
Thrashette
It's anti-Christian lyrics that would offend me more so than Satanic lyrics, just as preaching one's own religious is different from preaching hate against someone else's...
Nevertheless, it doesn't stop me from listening to the music. It's just that I would feel uncomfortable if I had to be the vocalist.
03.04.2012 - 07:09
Branzig
Written by Thrashette on 03.04.2012 at 03:38

It's just that I would feel uncomfortable if I had to be the vocalist.

I wouldn't. I love spewing hate. It makes me feel less hateful.
----
In Grind We Crust
03.04.2012 - 07:11
Grody2themax
Whats my policy on listening to satanic metal you ask? Just let me finish writing it out so I can live my life by it.
06.06.2012 - 02:09
Oaken
Hipster
Written by IronAngel on 04.09.2011 at 01:25

I don't think anyone can say anything reliable about the role of music in the Islam of Muhammad's time, because sadly there's no tradition of scholarly academic Quran research.

Actually, there is. But the thing is, music isn't mentioned at all in the Quran. Which means there's nothing against it. There are stupid modern sheiks who claim it's a sin, but they have no proof. They say it's from Satan. They don't answer you when you ask them for Quranic proof.
EDIT: My policy hadn't changed for the most part, but I listen to some Deathspell Omega these days.
P.S. I feel stupid concerning the first two pages.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
13.06.2012 - 11:09
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Nosurper on 26.03.2012 at 18:25

Written by Branzig on 26.03.2012 at 18:20

Written by Nosurper on 26.03.2012 at 18:18

Ok, so Burzum's out then. The murder blows, I enjoy Emperor.

Ok, and Emperor has to be out too, because the drummer killed the homo and their guitarist was a key member in church burnings...If you are going off your same moral policy to metal muzak

NO WAY! I was misinformed , I will likely listen to much less of their stuff now though. Anthems to the Welken at Dusk is, and i guess always will be, enthralling!!!!!!!!

Don't worry, Faust was only on In The Nightside Eclipse. You can still listen to Anthems.

BTW, is Beast (or whatever he's using now, Ashbringer, last I saw) still around?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
13.06.2012 - 12:47
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by M C Vice on 13.06.2012 at 11:09

BTW, is Beast (or whatever he's using now, Ashbringer, last I saw) still around?

This is funny because He goes under the name of Oaken... and he posted right before you
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
13.06.2012 - 17:02
Oaken
Hipster
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.06.2012 at 12:47

This is funny because He goes under the name of Oaken... and he posted right before you

I really feel stupid.
----
13.06.2012 - 21:29
Winterthrone
As a fan and a singer of Black Metal I obviously have to say 1 as an answer. I am a "fan" of Satan as a symbol of rebellion against tiranny not as a theistic entity, because I'm a strong Atheist. Satan is the only character in the Bible who challenged God's omnipotence and refused to believe in his word without proofs. He is the one who encouraged humans to Eat from the Tree of knowledge...So who is the bad guy and the good guy.
13.06.2012 - 21:51
Winterthrone
Written by Nosurper on 26.03.2012 at 06:17

Satan doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it. I will never listen to Mayhem, ever, due to the church burnings and I believe the murder of a bandmember or homosexual man?

I will never listen to Mayhem, sorry

Yet you list Ackercoke in your discography, and they are openly satanic...
13.06.2012 - 23:27
Dugi
I listen to satanic metal, but I don't like it. I also don't take anything seriously, else I wouldn't be listening to it.
22.06.2012 - 12:57
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Winterthrone on 13.06.2012 at 21:29

As a fan and a singer of Black Metal I obviously have to say 1 as an answer. I am a "fan" of Satan as a symbol of rebellion against tiranny not as a theistic entity, because I'm a strong Atheist. Satan is the only character in the Bible who challenged God's omnipotence and refused to believe in his word without proofs. He is the one who encouraged humans to Eat from the Tree of knowledge...So who is the bad guy and the good guy.

Depends on your perspective. Both would claim the other is bad.
Written by Oaken on 13.06.2012 at 17:02

I really feel stupid.

That really you, Frostbeast? It's confusing when people change names and pictures together.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
22.06.2012 - 14:33
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I've said it before, I'll say it again.

I don't care.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
22.06.2012 - 14:54
Oaken
Hipster
Written by M C Vice on 22.06.2012 at 12:57

Written by Winterthrone on 13.06.2012 at 21:29

Depends on your perspective. Both would claim the other is bad.
Written by Oaken on 13.06.2012 at 17:02

I really feel stupid.

That really you, Frostbeast? It's confusing when people change names and pictures together.

THE ONE AND ONLY
(Although more open-minded than before)
----
03.07.2012 - 20:09
Mad Arab666
I don't mind satanic lyrics as long as its intelligent. Bands that arent generally lose points but as long the music is good then I don't really mind. I'll pretty much listen to anything but lyrics that I can connect too get some points.
----
Bring up the wolves head!
05.07.2012 - 00:45
Numbskull
I don't believe in the boogie man, Satan, Lucifer, or whatever name you want to give it. But, then I don't believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, or Unicorns either. Metal has always been entertainment to me. Very rarely has it been thought provoking or life changing. I've always preferred the dark themed metal. So, Satanic lyric don't bother me in the least. For my 30+ years of listening, Metal has always been an entertaining escape not an affirmation of my way of life. I say simply enjoy what you like and don't listen to what you don't feel comfortable listening to.

Some have posted that they don't care about lyrics - to each their own; but, lyrical content is nearly as important as the music to me. Again it's a metal escape for me. So, powerful lyrical imagery can really make the song all the more potent.
05.07.2012 - 01:01
axelx666
Lol i love it!
im athiest so i really could careless.

and when it comes down to it, all it is,IS ENTERTAINMENT!
music is music. (now i know some christians might not agree with me though. . . )
----
"they can't stop us,let them try,for heavy metal we will die"
"on olemassa asioita karmivimmat yönä olen yksi heistä."
" we are the new bucolic,we are the pulse of the maggots"
"END"
12.10.2012 - 21:04
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
I can appreciate the symbol of Satan, but I don't believe he actually exists, so it doesn't have an effect on me. As long as people aren't actually killing other people in the name of Satan, then talking about Satan is just about as harmless as people killing other people in videogames.

Satanic music used to bother me, as I grew up religious, but it really doesn't cause any issues with me anymore.
----
14.10.2012 - 10:41
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
If the music is good, then I can enjoy listening to it. If it's bland and boring, then I won't bother.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
18.10.2012 - 07:58
I ADORE Satanic music! From Coven to Sabbath... From Hellhammer to Led Zeppelin (I consider Zep a "Satanic" band)... From Vital Remains to Dark Funeral! If it will piss off Christians, I think it's a blast! I'm a devout atheist but I was forced to be a Protestant growing up so I'm way too used to claims that simply listening to Sabbath will invite demons into your house... Well, now I don't believe in ANYTHING supernatural... And I LOVE black/death metal or anything related to, as I find it a viceral mockery of Christianity and I find it straight comedic! 10+ years of listening to bonified Satanic metal and nothing close to a demonic attack yet... I wonder where they could be!! LAY DOWN YOUR SOULS TO THE GODS ROCK 'N' ROLL!!!!!
18.10.2012 - 20:27
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by SkepticalSteve on 18.10.2012 at 07:58

(I consider Zep a "Satanic" band)...

What the hell for? The only sinful thing about them is how good Jimmy Page looked without a shirt on.
18.10.2012 - 23:24
Written by [user id=101272] on 18.10.2012 at 20:27

Written by SkepticalSteve on 18.10.2012 at 07:58

(I consider Zep a "Satanic" band)...

What the hell for? The only sinful thing about them is how good Jimmy Page looked without a shirt on.

Hahaha. Well. Listen to the lyrics, they're full of occult references. The cover of Houses of the Holy looks occultic etc. Didn't Page buy Crowley's old pad too? I dunno, I've always pridefully called Zep a Satanic band. I don't believe in the devil so it's all in fun.
19.10.2012 - 00:21
Druss
^I don't think buying any of Aleister Crowley's possessions makes anyone necessarily Satanic, there was more to Crowley than just an ''interest'' in the occult, he lived a pretty interesting, albeit fucked up life. As well as the fact that having Satanic cover art or even lyrics doesn't necessarily make any band (or any member of it) Satanic.

As for the question at hand, I don't care whether a band is Satanic/have Satanic leanings in their music, if its written well, its good, if not, its crap no matter what they put in it.
19.10.2012 - 08:36
Branzig
Written by Druss on 19.10.2012 at 00:21

As for the question at hand, I don't care whether a band is Satanic/have Satanic leanings in their music, if its written well, its good, if not, its crap no matter what they put in it.

Pretty much sums it up!

Except I wouldn't listen to christian rock, even if I thought it sounded good. I don't like it as a propaganda type tool to push their views on society.

Yes, I know that makes me a hypocrite, ask me how much I care
----
In Grind We Crust
24.10.2012 - 14:24
ToMegaTherion
Where is the option of I listen to it i read the lyrics but i dont take it seriously. I know most bands themselves dont take it seriously.
07.11.2012 - 03:45
FourMechALEX
Account deleted
I don't do it, but that doesn't mean I don't listen to bands that have evil themes. I listen to Slayer and Venom and I know a lot of people think that they are satanic but I don't, I think it's just show. I don't write my lyrics with that kind of show but that's because I'm not into that, I'm into other things like being against various government plans or analyzing the effects of insanity. If I like the instrumentals of it and the lyrics aren't legitimately satanic I really could care less what they're saying. I do appreciate inventive or insightful lyrics though. I think that there is a big difference between actual satanic music and evil themed music and that difference is very rarely recognized, especially by people critical of metal as a whole. Heck, horrified parents thought The Number of the Beast by Iron Maiden was satanic when it came out!
10.11.2012 - 16:23
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Voted for "I listen to it, I don't like the lyrics". It's like Dimmu Borgir's song "Antikrist". The music is good, catchy and all that, but the lyrics actually disgusts me.. I'm not a fan of what they are singing, but I do listen because of the music. As long as you don't take the lyrics to serious, there's no problem in listening to such songs:)