Metal Storm logo
Sonata Arctica

Original post

Posted by SteTech, 19.05.2006 - 18:33
I couldn't help noticed there wasn't a thread for Sonata yet. They're one of my favourite bands, and I just got their new live DVD today. Watched it, and loved it! I have all the albums as well, with my fave's being Ecliptica and Reckoning Night. Winterheart's Guild is good, but for me, Silence just lacks the magic of the other albums. I know a lot of Sonata fans will argue that Silence is their best and all that shit, but I fail to see what you lot see in it. I'm not saying it's bad, just not their best
16.10.2007 - 01:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
''Venue change for Oslo show (01.11.2007)
The show in Oslo, Norway on November 1st has been changed to the following venue: Sentrum Scene.

''

Source [url] http://www.sonataarctica.info/site07/index.php?s=2&l=uk[/url]
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.11.2007 - 14:35
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
They were brilliant yesterday at La Riviera, Madrid. They played the following songs:

1. In Black & White
2. Paid in Full
3. Victoria's Secret
4. Broken
5. 8th Commandment
6. Tallulah
7. FullMoon
8. Caleb
9. Black Sheep
10. It Won't Fade
11. Gravenimage
12. San Sebastian
--encores--
13. My Land
14. Don't Say a Word
15. The Cage
16. Vodka's Song

Summing up, the concert was an epic show of Power Metal glory, for all the songs except "Gravenimage", "Tallulah" and "Paid in Full" are among Sonata Arctica's most moshable ones. Although I missed a little more Reckoning Night, because they only played one song from that album (I wish I shall see "My Selene" or "Ain't Your Fairytale" live someday), I cannot complain at all. From the new album, they played the four tracks that I deem the best, and Elias Viljanen surprised me in the good sense. He mastered the old songs at such a high level that Tallulah and San Sebastian sounded even more amazing than their previous concert I attended, when Jani still belonged to Sonata Arctica. Anyway, in my opinion, the best song of the night was Victoria's Secret, which made the crowd go crazy.

Fun fact: Before the encores, Tony Kakko insisted on playing drums with us (not for us - with us!). He divided the crowd into three groups: the hi-hat group (where I belonged), which had to say "psss" at his signal, the tom-toms, who said "bam!" and the kick-drum group, which said "booom". We actually resembled a true drumkit under the direction of Kakko. It was incredibly funny xD.
17.11.2007 - 22:24
Hybris
The concert yesterday in Madrid was really amazing!! I loved it ^^
I was in the "psssh" zone too xDDDD they have improved a lot since the last time I saw them, and now Tony Kakko wins more easily the crowd... I want more...! it's all I can say
----
Opening a new scar, closing the wounds with a knife
18.11.2007 - 00:46
Bararey
Winter is Coming
Elite
I saw Sonata Arctica twice this year, once during their North America tour, and the other was in ProgPower USA VIII, which they have headlined the first night. I was very disappointed in them performing the exact same setlist, nothing was changed, not even the order and it is the same setlist as mentioned above by Taktsekte.

And I have to second that Elias is an awesome guitarist, but the reaction of the crowd when Tony announced his name was neither a cheer or a boo but more of silence both times! Elias averted the crisis by saying is everyone having fun tonight (or something like that) and the crowd cheered.

Does anyone know why doesn't Sonata perform Wolf and Raven anymore? They have not preformed it when they were in the states in '06 either
----
"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
Ser Jorah Mormont
23.11.2007 - 21:12
=maD.Doc:.
Melodeath Master
Written by Bararey on 18.11.2007 at 00:46

Does anyone know why doesn't Sonata perform Wolf and Raven anymore? They have not preformed it when they were in the states in '06 either

They do perform Wolf and Raven still. They played it last year here in Sweden at least. It just depends on the set list they choose I guess.
27.11.2007 - 17:46
Finicella
Account deleted
I'm totally pissed off because I hadn't someone to accompany to Sonata Arctica when they were in Germany. -.- (Unfortunately I had no one to drive and I didn't want to go alone...)

Before I knew Dream Theater I often said they were my favorite band and they still are No1 :3

But it's the same as with Blind Guardian: They reached a point and then got worse and worse... :/
27.11.2007 - 21:07
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Witnessed them last sunday and had a great time singing along, even though I am a hardcore Black Metaller/against most happy music. Youth sentiment, I guess.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
29.11.2007 - 21:27
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Holland's FaceCulture recently spoke to Tony Kakko and Elias Viljanen. You can watch the interview at this location.

Edit 13-12-2007:
France's Radio Metal recently conducted an interview with Henrik Klingenberg and bassist Marko Paasikoski. You can listen to the chat in streaming audio at this location.
29.12.2007 - 22:55
Warman
Erotic Stains
Am I the only one who thinks Tallulah is really overestimated?
----
29.12.2007 - 23:21
Ascalon
Sorry but Sonata it's really and overrated band ... for me they don't play original stuff ... but if you like it well ... for they are a decent band... but I don't the reason why so many people love it.
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)
29.12.2007 - 23:28
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Ascalon on 29.12.2007 at 23:21

Sorry but Sonata it's really and overrated band ... for me they don't play original stuff ... but if you like it well ... for they are a decent band... but I don't the reason why so many people love it.

I'm not a fan of Sonata Arctica or power metal (although I think their last album is actually very good), but I don't really think you can complaint about their originality, as when they released Silence the gained a rather unique personality, although sacrificing most of the "metal" part of the equation. I'm going to see them in february anyway.
29.12.2007 - 23:56
Ascalon
Written by [user id=5080] on 29.12.2007 at 23:28

Written by Ascalon on 29.12.2007 at 23:21

I'm not a fan of Sonata Arctica or power metal (although I think their last album is actually very good), but I don't really think you can complaint about their originality, as when they released Silence the gained a rather unique personality, although sacrificing most of the "metal" part of the equation. I'm going to see them in february anyway.

OK ... but, you can't judge all the trajectory of a well knowed band like Sonata just for their last album ... and also if they sacrifice the "metal" searching for more succes in music bussines .. maybe they really don't deserve to much analysis , you just listen to them because they sound nicely at least .. but they don¡t have a deep point of view to analyze anything ... and for me evertyhing's ok ... you'll find bands like this allways ... just I wonder why Sonata it's so popular ... if they are really similar to other bands ...
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)
29.12.2007 - 23:58
Warman
Erotic Stains
I love them for... well, they have that ability to make everything sound catchy! Their music always cheers me up.
----
30.12.2007 - 12:37
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Warman on 29.12.2007 at 23:58

I love them for... well, they have that ability to make everything sound catchy! Their music always cheers me up.

Exactly! You have to have respect for that ability...
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
30.12.2007 - 13:41
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
I saw Sonata Arctica yesterday at Kaapelitehdas, Helsinki. Here's the setlist (not every song is on the right place though...)

1. In Black & White
2. Paid In Full
3. Victoria's Secret
4. Broken
5. Tallulah
6. FullMoon
7. Caleb
8. Black Sheep
9. San Sebastian
10. 8th Commandment
11. Under Your Tree
12. The Worlds Forgotten, The Words Forbidden
13. It Won't Fade
14. Don't Say a Word
15. The Cage
16. Vodka Song & Nukkumatti

It was an ordinary Sonata Arctica gig. It was great seeing them live again, but I've seen better shows. Especially Marko was somehow weird. He's never been much of a showman, but this time it looked like he was trying to hide behind Henkka's back all the time. I'm glad they played more old songs than on the festival gigs, but I still missed My Land. Some new songs, especially The Worlds Forgotten, the Words Forbidden, didn't seem to suit the set at all. Tony did the drumkit-thing Taktsekte mentioned, with us too. We also sang Maamme (the Finnish national anthem) together.
----
You'll never walk alone.
01.01.2008 - 23:42
SteTech
Shit they played Under Your Tree? I love that song, probably the best ballad they've done! Good to see them playing a bit more from the new album though, however the lack of My Land is disappointing
01.01.2008 - 23:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernotar on 30.12.2007 at 13:41

I16. Vodka Song & Nukkumatti

Iy was a parody song
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.01.2008 - 23:52
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
@ K7 Vodka-song is the one that ends every Sonata Arctica gig. Vodka, we need some vodka, we need some vodka (in the Hava Nagila -tune)... And sometimes they get that vodka-bottle on the stage. In Finland they also sing Nukkumatti.
----
You'll never walk alone.
13.01.2008 - 13:54
Son of Odin
Been listening to Sonata arctica since the debut album, the last 2 albums they have done have been big disappointments (except for a few songs), I miss the sound from the first and second album.
----
METAL UNITES US ALL!
17.01.2008 - 12:55
rachie
Account deleted
i've been listening to them for about 3 years now, and i have to say Unia hasn't grown on me yet. Having said that, i have my tickets to see them in glasgow [never thought that'd happen ] &hopefully their set at wacken this year will be as good as my boyfriend said the 2005 one was
17.01.2008 - 15:55
Warman
Erotic Stains
I have just heard two tracks of Unia, Paid in Full - which was kinda boring for being Sonata Arctica - and Caleb which I found to be absolutely fantastic! So I have no idea what to expect from the album when I get it someday.
----
20.01.2008 - 00:12
FeskarN
Unia was a disapointedment, but the rest of the albums is brilliant! But I don't have listen to Unia so much perhaps i should listen to it again? It was a long time ago..
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
20.01.2008 - 18:13
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
i like full moon and the cage and more .. sonata rulzzz. and Ascalon, your avatar is too imba
21.01.2008 - 00:14
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
I just got back into these guys . Yes, musically they are Stratovarius impersonators (or at least started out that way) but they're actually a good listen. The last two albums were pitiful , they're trying to incorporate a more 'Progressive/Rock sound. "My Selene" was good but other than that, terrible. The first few albums were very good power metal, but the cd I like best without question is Winterheart's Guild , it was the first SA album I ever heard and I still like it best. Apparently Jen Johannsen does guest keyboard solos for some songs on that album.

21.01.2008 - 11:37
BADDEST MEMBER
The song Paid In Full has very good keyboard rhythm and melody. The 2007 album is good, IMO better than the 2006's. And glad that they move progressively
22.01.2008 - 18:51
=maD.Doc:.
Melodeath Master
Written by BADDEST MEMBER on 21.01.2008 at 11:37

The song Paid In Full has very good keyboard rhythm and melody. The 2007 album is good, IMO better than the 2006's. And glad that they move progressively

The 2006 album? The only album released by Sonata in 2006 is the Live album and DVD... If you mean Reckoning Night it was released in 2004!
23.01.2008 - 15:56
BADDEST MEMBER
Yeah I mean the Reckoning Night. Thanks for correcting me.
28.04.2008 - 03:59
Cidinho
Account deleted
I started listening to Sonata Arctica this year, and you guys are right at Unia. While I do love most Unia songs, when I listed to older songs I noticed how better some of them were...
28.04.2008 - 08:21
tulkas
el parcero
Written by [user id=32320] on 28.04.2008 at 03:59

I started listening to Sonata Arctica this year, and you guys are right at Unia. While I do love most Unia songs, when I listed to older songs I noticed how better some of them were...

only some of them? how about all of them!
ok, probably i was a little harsh, but it's just that i had high expectations for Unia... which older Sonata songs have you liked more?
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
28.04.2008 - 19:34
Cidinho
Account deleted
Written by tulkas on 28.04.2008 at 08:21

Written by [user id=32320] on 28.04.2008 at 03:59

only some of them? how about all of them!
ok, probably i was a little harsh, but it's just that i had high expectations for Unia... which older Sonata songs have you liked more?

UnOpened and Picturing the Past, mostly. I haven't listened to all of my collection yet I don't have so much time (14h ftw)