Metal Storm logo
Dissection

Original post

Posted by Mega-Slayer, 25.06.2006 - 07:22
I was suprised to find there wasn't a thread about them already.Anyway I bought "Storm Of The Light's Bane/Where Dead Angels Lie",finally and "Somberlain" is next on my list."Where Dead Angels Lie" and "Night's Blood" are the highlight tracks for me.I wasn't sure if they were considered blackened death or melodic death.Its hard to describe the mood of this album,its dark and dreary,yet somewhat fantasy.If you haven't heard it go an buy it,if you like death or black you will enjoy it.
09.11.2006 - 14:47
ElizabethBathory
Account deleted
Not many Dissecton fans here. I'm going to miss them playing live and listening to new stuff.
RIP to Jon and Dissection. What a unusual idea to break the closed circle of a human living and the awesome music.
I'm just selfish.
09.11.2006 - 21:46
Sunioj
Written by [user id=2541] on 09.11.2006 at 14:47

Not many Dissecton fans here. I'm going to miss them playing live and listening to new stuff.
RIP to Jon and Dissection. What a unusual idea to break the closed circle of a human living and the awesome music.
I'm just selfish.

I know! I bought a ticket because they were going to come to Israel but they cancelled, I was SO mad, Yeah, it does suck he killed himself, regardless to wether he did for satanic purposes or plain idiocy, thats one musician down the drain.
10.11.2006 - 12:58
ElizabethBathory
Account deleted
Written by Sunioj on 09.11.2006 at 21:46

Written by [user id=2541] on 09.11.2006 at 14:47

I'm just selfish.

I know! I bought a ticket because they were going to come to Israel but they cancelled, I was SO mad, Yeah, it does suck he killed himself, regardless to wether he did for satanic purposes or plain idiocy, thats one musician down the drain.

If I understand you correct, you even didn't have a chance to see Dissection live?
10.11.2006 - 15:53
Warman
Erotic Stains
I've been listening to Dissection lately, one of the best bands I've heard! "Storm of the Light's Bane" is their best album and "Night's Blood" their best song. Very dark and atmospheric
----
11.11.2006 - 14:59
Basso
Account deleted
Where dead angels lie is my fav song. But the whole SoTLB is amazing. I still havent heard The Somberlain though. Must check it out
14.11.2006 - 12:07
ElizabethBathory
Account deleted
Written by [user id=5394] on 11.11.2006 at 14:59

Where dead angels lie is my fav song. But the whole SoTLB is amazing. I still havent heard The Somberlain though. Must check it out

You're correct about WDAL and SOTLB. Check Somberlain as soon as possible.
Have you seen their DVD Rebirth of Dissection? Awesome gig, I have to be happy with DVD, I wasn't at the gig.
14.11.2006 - 14:09
Sunioj
Written by [user id=2541] on 14.11.2006 at 12:07

Written by [user id=5394] on 11.11.2006 at 14:59

You're correct about WDAL and SOTLB. Check Somberlain as soon as possible.
Have you seen their DVD Rebirth of Dissection? Awesome gig, I have to be happy with DVD, I wasn't at the gig.

Yeah never seen them....I agree with you, somberlain is also a very good album, "frozen", "in the cold winds of nowhere" are my favorite songs.
15.11.2006 - 11:21
AntaeusM
Elite
well, I know the band for a long time, but since a week or so I began to appreciate their music. I have an album and an EP of them "Storm of the Light's Bane" and "Where Dead Angels Lie". I am mostly listening to the first album I mentioned. It has a bit of this Immortalish feeling, but without the cold atmosphere. It is more dark, and I guess I really like that. It is far from original though. They are good in what they are doing, and they did activate me to explore more of their music, so yeah, I like them Storm of the Light's Bane has definitely most of my favorite songs, such as "Thorns Of Crimson Death" and "Night's Blood".
15.11.2006 - 12:59
ElizabethBathory
Account deleted
Their atmosphere is really something special. I've been listening to them for about 10 years. Gonna miss Jon's frozen guitar in real and his new stuff.
What do you think about Reinkaos, have you seen their DVD Rebirth of Dissection?
15.11.2006 - 16:03
Sunioj
Written by [user id=2541] on 15.11.2006 at 12:59

Their atmosphere is really something special. I've been listening to them for about 10 years. Gonna miss Jon's frozen guitar in real and his new stuff.
What do you think about Reinkaos, have you seen their DVD Rebirth of Dissection?

Reinkaos, is differrent, my bias says that I dont like that album because its not the same dissection sound by far, but you can tell that Jon worked on his guitarwork in prison...I only really like "beyond the horizon", "internal fire", because they sound heavier, I think the MLO influence made Reinkaos too epicly satanic and overemotional to be honest. It was just over the top and took away the dark, cold feeling. ( not that I had a problem with the lyrics in the past )
16.11.2006 - 13:41
ElizabethBathory
Account deleted
Written by Sunioj on 15.11.2006 at 16:03

Written by [user id=2541] on 15.11.2006 at 12:59

Reinkaos, is differrent, my bias says that I dont like that album because its not the same dissection sound by far, but you can tell that Jon worked on his guitarwork in prison...I only really like "beyond the horizon", "internal fire", because they sound heavier, I think the MLO influence made Reinkaos too epicly satanic and overemotional to be honest. It was just over the top and took away the dark, cold feeling. ( not that I had a problem with the lyrics in the past )

Yes, Reinkaos is different. It seems to me normal, Jon has made it by himself, while with the older stuff he got help from the old Dissection fellows. And time has passed, he has changed, we all know the circumstances he was and of course the tremendous influence he was receiving from MLO (whatever it is, it could help him with doing his music but in his real life it wasn't a good idea).
But still, I'm problably one of the rare fans around who appreciate Reinkaos as much as older stuff. It is so clean, clear, polished but I could still find a lot of old D. influence. I don't know why, but I felt in love with Dark Mother Divine. And self title song is just a diamond to me.
16.11.2006 - 14:40
Warman
Erotic Stains
Reinkaos is a great album but not as good as older Dissection
----
16.11.2006 - 17:48
Basso
Account deleted
Reinkaos is totally uninspired, and fuckin dull. Both as a general Gothenburg Black album (rather a phun dont keel me) and in comparision to any other meloblack album.

I really find it intressting how Jon could find his "evil themes" appropriate in such, boring music.
17.11.2006 - 12:17
ElizabethBathory
Account deleted
This kind of opinion is widely spreded. I'm not surprised. For me, music is more the matter of taste. You like it, don't care or hate it. Well, at last it is not simple as this. And it is always discutable.
17.11.2006 - 12:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=5394] on 16.11.2006 at 17:48

Reinkaos is totally uninspired, and fuckin dull. Both as a general Gothenburg Black album (rather a phun dont keel me) and in comparision to any other meloblack album.

I really find it intressting how Jon could find his "evil themes" appropriate in such, boring music.

I totally agree here. Nothing more to add. It is an uninspired work in all areas. If another band than Dissection ha dmade this it would have got far worse reviews overall.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.11.2006 - 15:52
Sunioj
Thats true..
18.11.2006 - 12:10
Sigyn
miaregine.com
I saw Dissection live at Inferno Festival 2005, and it was great. It's so sad that Jon killed himself! Will miss him.
I even got my little brother into Dissection by showing him some of the newer stuff they did. Personally I like the oldest best, but its better than him listening to pop/techno and that shit
----
www.miaregine.com

Delirium and Delight
18.11.2006 - 12:56
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Sigyn on 18.11.2006 at 12:10

I even got my little brother into Dissection by showing him some of the newer stuff they did. Personally I like the oldest best, but its better than him listening to pop/techno and that shit

That is indeed true ^^.
19.11.2006 - 15:15
Sunioj
lol, I got one of my friend who listens to christian hardcore to appreciate "where dead angels lie".
14.04.2007 - 23:50
RavenLord
Written by Sunioj on 19.11.2006 at 15:15

lol, I got one of my friend who listens to christian hardcore to appreciate "where dead angels lie".

...quite possibly because it's a fucking epic song, especially the chorus.

My personal favourite is 'Thorns of Crimson Death', with it's shifting, meandering-yet-never-boring extended instrumental passages, and the general aura of bleakness that pervades the whole song. I must get the re-release of the Somberlain as well.

I'd rather not go into Reinkaos, although the video for 'Starless Aeon' got me into them. Anyway, even though I'm a bit partial to Melodic Death, it's waaay to bland, like Nightrage or Soilwork. Even ignoring the first two albums, it's still a poor effort.
----
14.04.2007 - 23:52
Sunioj
Written by RavenLord on 14.04.2007 at 23:50

Written by Sunioj on 19.11.2006 at 15:15

...quite possibly because it's a fucking epic song, especially the chorus.

My personal favourite is 'Thorns of Crimson Death', with it's shifting, meandering-yet-never-boring extended instrumental passages, and the general aura of bleakness that pervades the whole song. I must get the re-release of the Somberlain as well.

I'd rather not go into Reinkaos, although the video for 'Starless Aeon' got me into them. Anyway, even though I'm a bit partial to Melodic Death, it's waaay to bland, like Nightrage or Soilwork. Even ignoring the first two albums, it's still a poor effort.

I totally agree with you, Im also really into melodic death, but reinkaos wasnt even good at accomplishing just that...it was a dissapointment that it wasnt melodic black and because it was overall, a bland album.
20.04.2007 - 20:00
Warman
Erotic Stains
Haha, did I say that Reinkaos is a great album? Haha... well, it has some fine moments but mostly it's really boring. Maha Kali though is an awesome and great song! Haha, why did I say great album? I don't even remember that I've ever thought so about it.
----
20.04.2007 - 20:37
RavenLord
Written by Warman on 20.04.2007 at 20:00

Haha, did I say that Reinkaos is a great album? Haha... well, it has some fine moments but mostly it's really boring. Maha Kali though is an awesome and great song! Haha, why did I say great album? I don't even remember that I've ever thought so about it.

You managed to completely change your mind within the body of one post, without turning back on yourself mid-sentence...that's quite a feat!

...almost as much as having an argument with yourself on a MetalStorm forum...
----
22.04.2007 - 19:50
Sunioj
Written by Warman on 20.04.2007 at 20:00

Ya know, Im having the same feelings....its like I cant make a goddamn choice! Right after I posted on how bland the album is, I listened to it the same night and I found myself nodding my head some of the songs....I guess you have to be in the right mood to feel it, more like a Jon Nodveidt feeling...lol
24.04.2007 - 10:02
Agaatho
I have been listening to Dissection for 5 years now and yes it is weird that a lot of people dont even know the name Dissection. Its sad that they only realesed only 2 albums( Reinkaos isent really their sound) but The Somberlain and Storm of the Lights Bane are far out one of the best metal albums ever!!
But listening to Reinkaos , Dissection was done , maybuy it was time for Jon to quit but of course not kill himself.
24.04.2007 - 10:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Well in lats days I had lsietn Dissection but well I know band not so long but I say one i had hera all albums and I prefere early Dissection before Jon was sentenced in those days when he has hair , that muisc was more old school whit fresch ideas, last album well seems he lostideas in jail and i cant lsiten it
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.04.2007 - 16:13
Judas
The Amputator
I totally agree that Reinkaos was not of the same calibre as the older albums. I'm totally obsessed with 'Storm of the Light's Bane' at the moment, it's getting constant playtime in my car. How awesome is the scream in 'Where Dead Angels Lie' after the quiet acoustic bit, at the 4:10 mark?! Truly chilling!
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
11.05.2007 - 20:25
Lathronniel
"Thorns Of Crimson Death" and "Night's Blood" great ones!
----
I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith...
13.05.2007 - 00:25
RavenLord
Written by Judas on 25.04.2007 at 16:13

I totally agree that Reinkaos was not of the same calibre as the older albums. I'm totally obsessed with 'Storm of the Light's Bane' at the moment, it's getting constant playtime in my car. How awesome is the scream in 'Where Dead Angels Lie' after the quiet acoustic bit, at the 4:10 mark?! Truly chilling!

Quite. I wonder who does the female scream...I'm sure I read who it was, but can't remember....

Also, does anyone know what connection Alexandra Balogh (composer of 'No Dreams Breed In Breathless Sleep' had with the band? Was she just a one-off studio keyboardist for that track, recommended by someone in the studio, or did Notveidt or one of the other members know her?
----
13.06.2007 - 20:01
RavenLord
Bump. Nah, just joking.

Well, I got to hear Reinkaos all the way through (by a combination of their MySpace, YouTube and BitLord), and my summary is; 'What the fuck, Jon?'

There must be about 10 decent riffs throughout the whole thing. The breakdowns and random stops (sometimes for up to 3 seconds) really do my head in. The lyrics are halfway interesting, but they're nowhere near the macabre poetry of the first two releases. The solos are fairly bland, although some good ones are thrown in, but that's the only redeeming feature of the album, and it sounds very out of place.

Oh, and the production sucks. Fucking generic Melodic Death-style production.
----