Metal Storm logo
What Inspires Your Creativity?

Original post

Posted by LeChron James, 02.07.2009 - 01:05
For those of you that call yourselves artists, be it painting, photography or anything in between, let this be a thread to discuss your inspirations of creativity. one word responses are not acceptable without substantiation.
07.01.2013 - 21:35
enumaelis

Sadness and melancholy, I found out that when I had good mood and everything seems ok and so on, my will to create was always fading away...
----
http://enumaelis.blogspot.com/
08.01.2013 - 01:31
ANGEL REAPER

Written by enumaelis on 07.01.2013 at 21:35

Sadness and melancholy, I found out that when I had good mood and everything seems ok and so on, my will to create was always fading away...

"i cant create when i am happy!"
-Tom Warrior (Hellhammer/Celtic Frost/Tryptikon)
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
03.04.2013 - 06:04
Sinnercist

Music. When I listen to it I just see images and lines. I can walk away from a song for a few years and when I come back I will see the exact same image as the first time I heard it. Hence why often I just turn on trans-like music when I draw
----
From YOLO to LOLOL. You're welcome.
08.04.2013 - 21:45
JaciLeigh

Being outside in the fields or the woods inspires me. Usually my writings are centered around romanticism. Music and Celtic patterns and drawings inspire my drawing as well as nature.
08.05.2013 - 23:35
Vilovita Rusalka

It has absolutely always been music and most of the time it had to be paired with an inhuman consumption of cigarettes. Which is a nightmare now that I've quit.
----
www.facebook.com/EternalAphelionPhotography
09.05.2013 - 11:41
whatsacow

Deadlines, time restrictions and other difficulties. I'm at my most creative when I'm under pressure, or have something to overcome.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
09.05.2013 - 18:22
Vilovita Rusalka

Written by whatsacow on 09.05.2013 at 11:41

Deadlines, time restrictions and other difficulties. I'm at my most creative when I'm under pressure, or have something to overcome.

I noticed that too in my case, why is that??
----
www.facebook.com/EternalAphelionPhotography
10.05.2013 - 03:31
whatsacow

Written by Vilovita Rusalka on 09.05.2013 at 18:22

Because I'm forced to think creatively. I'm forced to think "How can I do something well in such a short amount of time," or "How can I overcome said obstacle." I love being stumped when writing a story or song, because when you overcome it, it feels so much better, and the results are always better when I'm forced into a corner. Also, I donn't have time to second guess myself and think my work is terrible.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
15.05.2013 - 20:21
Aseliot

Written by whatsacow on 10.05.2013 at 03:31

Because I'm forced to think creatively. I'm forced to think "How can I do something well in such a short amount of time," or "How can I overcome said obstacle." I love being stumped when writing a story or song, because when you overcome it, it feels so much better, and the results are always better when I'm forced into a corner. Also, I donn't have time to second guess myself and think my work is terrible.

Maybe you had those ideas already but just thought they were shitty and the pressure made you not care and go through with them anyway? I read somewhere that "pressure makes me peform better" is bullshit because science research.
----
Anál nathrach,
orth' bháis's bethad,
do chél dénmha
16.05.2013 - 09:23
whatsacow

Written by Aseliot on 15.05.2013 at 20:21

Written by whatsacow on 10.05.2013 at 03:31

Maybe you had those ideas already but just thought they were shitty and the pressure made you not care and go through with them anyway? I read somewhere that "pressure makes me peform better" is bullshit because science research.

I think it's got something to do with that. I don't have time to second guess whether an idea is good or not, I only have time to refine it.
----
16.05.2013 - 11:34
ANGEL REAPER

because art (or creative work) is just an escape from difficulties of life ...when you have a deadline you wand to get it over ,to escape from it,so you became creative which allows you to do something else that you like and not that boring/exhausting deadline work.
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
24.01.2016 - 02:04
Metren
Dreadrealm
I might be pretty alone in this, but my creativity is most inspired by video games. Yes, those childish things . For example, the last song I wrote, was entirely inspired by The Witcher 3 and the character Ciri.

EDIT: What the hell did I write here??? Must've been someone else, because other than that one mess of a song, I am not inspired by video games. I don't even play them anymore. I am inspired by two things: wild nature and human nature.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
29.04.2020 - 16:56
ChrisCrane

Well.. for me deadlines do the opposite. Yes, for sure, when I meet a deadline I work more productive and manage to finish the things I would never do that quick. But speaking about the creativity, it dies.. I can agree that life difficulties boost my creativity, but not dealines, especially speaking about poetry.
Regarding inspirations, I got lots of it from high-quality interviews with the people that have achieved a lot. and of course from poetry and newly-found music <3
29.04.2020 - 16:57
ChrisCrane

Written by Metren on 24.01.2016 at 02:04

I might be pretty alone in this, but my creativity is most inspired by video games. Yes, those childish things . For example, the last song I wrote, was entirely inspired by The Witcher 3 and the character Ciri.

EDIT: What the hell did I write here??? Must've been someone else, because other than that one mess of a song, I am not inspired by video games. I don't even play them anymore. I am inspired by two things: wild nature and human nature.

heh... was interesting and somehow cute to witness your "inspiration evolution"
05.11.2020 - 21:47
BetulaObscura

There is plenty of inspiration everywhere.
----
"Inspired by the future of the past"
29.07.2021 - 22:55
Iwan Ruby

I rarely look for inspiration, usually I only do it when I have work to do. In terms of creativity I prefer to look for something similar and then modify it to make it more suitable for what I need..
----
My Band COLDERRA
My Zine ORIDISTRO
10.03.2022 - 02:11
Machaera33

Mostly music, memories, the mood I am in, historical artworks (paintings/drawings)...and other things.
10.01.2024 - 17:58
Metal Rasputin

I enjoy all forms or art, but great stories inspire me the most. Just another week I read about the conquest of the South Pole and the tragedy of Robert Falcon Scott and felt like being hit by a lightning. Another recent inspiration came from this biographical film called "My Left Foot". It's about an Irish guy suffering from cerebral palsy who finds he can control his left foot and use it to write and paint, so he becomes an artist. Is that inspirational or what?

Edit. Now that I think about it, there's another thing that greatly inspires my creativity, that is solitude and silence. I don't know why, but I would think that when I feel solitary long enough my mind starts working harder to maintain the mental structures when normally it's taking in information and adapting all the time. One nice quiet day and it feels like I could just clap my hands together and things start to moving.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!