04. The Moment Of Reckoning
05. Bereavement
06. Under The Plaintive Sky
07. Resonance
08. Death Walked The Earth
09. Disengagement
10. Closing Words
11. Song Of The Forlorn Son

Before taking on a more accessible albeit controversial route of music perceived in the eyes of "traditional" metalheads, In Flames were heralded as one of the pioneers of a genre that underwent more changes than Wacko Jacko's wardrobe; having said that, the music in its pristine form is to this day a refreshing blend of melody and aggression. It may seem out of place for me to ramble on and on about In Flames here, but Insomnium's Since The Day It All Came Down is, quite bluntly put, a more darker and mellower evolution of the In Flames sound of yore. This does not mean that it is a rip-off; on the contrary, Insomnium has managed to hone this style of music in their own, unique mold. The result, ladies and gentleman, is a pure masterpiece.

Since The Day It All Came Down is a DRASTIC improvement from their sophomore debut album In The Halls Of The Awaiting. For starters, the production is much better, doing nothing to take off the shine of the music as opposed to its predecessor. The songwriting has become more mature and varied, so you can listen to the album from start to finish without any hurdles. The lyrical content is what you'd expect from Insomnium; sadness, despair, loneliness and all other misanthropic feelings you can think of. Whenever I listen to this album, I imagine myself being teleported in a beautiful, sun-forsaken Finnish forest, surrounded by lush evergreen trees and breathtaking landscapes, such is the strong atmosphere of nature it invokes. The perfect album for camping/hiking, methinks?

What really stands out about Since The Day It All Came Down is its remarkable consistency; I LOVE all the songs on display except for the last three songs which are less frequent on my playlist (even those aren't mere fillers, believe you me!). The songs are all beautifully crafted and diverse, from the soul-crushing brutality of "The Day It All Came Down" and "The Moment Of Reckoning," to the melancholic grandeur of "Daughter Of The Moon" and the wonderfully placed interlude "Resonance," it is a very well-balanced album. Niilo's voice is perfect here, and really adds to the despair-invoking atmosphere of the album.

Okay, bitchin' time! Let's see?the influences are all too obvious, so the overall originality of the music might be a tad less?okay, I can't find any other faults, so BUY IT, BUY IT NOW!

All in all, I dare say this is Insomnium's magnum opus to date, the jewel in their majestic crown. This is the album that set the benchmark sky high and made everyone anxiously longing for their subsequent releases. I HIGHLY recommend this album to anyone who likes their metal drenched in dark melancholic bliss... A must-have for all Melodeath/Gothenborg fans.

Believe you me!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by Homer S. | 11.12.2010

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 196 users
11.12.2010 - 16:19
Homer S.
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 11.12.2010 at 15:38

Good review

Thanks for the encouraging words! It's my first review.
11.12.2010 - 20:12
Rating: 10
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Agree good review.
totally agree about the music bringing you to a lush forsaken forest. i always listen to insomnium before a rain hike through the redwood forest! perfect music for a misty mountain forest. or just if your feeling melancholic. or both.

Good review. Insomnium is the shit!
----
pewpew.. gotcha
11.12.2010 - 20:14
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
This album was once referred to as "pretty metal" by my friend. because of the endless melodic leads throughout the album. haha.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
12.12.2010 - 01:06
Dream Taster
The Enemy Within
Great album, great review.
12.12.2010 - 14:01
Justicelust

Very good review, totally agree
No one can create music like them. I love insomnium and all their albums especially this one and all the songs.
I never get bored listening them..never.
17.10.2019 - 16:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Nothing whit in flames, this is better, that band has only one good albums jesters race, this band has whole cataloger better as in flames, so comparing those 2 are wrong
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.10.2019 - 16:53
Rating: 8
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Bad English on 17.10.2019 at 16:07

Nothing whit in flames, this is better, that band has only one good albums jesters race, this band has whole cataloger better as in flames, so comparing those 2 are wrong

I agree it's really not a valid comparison and the way the review is set up at the beginning makes you think this is just a more sad sounding In Flames. The rest of the review does a better job describing the music though... by explaining how it doesn't sound like In Flames
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.10.2019 - 16:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.10.2019 at 16:53

Written by Bad English on 17.10.2019 at 16:07

I agree it's really not a valid comparison and the way the review is set up at the beginning makes you think this is just a more sad sounding In Flames. The rest of the review does a better job describing the music though... by explaining how it doesn't sound like In Flames

In Flames is fake, there are better swe mdm bands and its enough compare whit 2 big ones and one whit vegan singer
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.11.2019 - 21:56
Rating: 8
BlankFile

Following the path of their debut álbum, this one is really consistent aswell. Its powerful, heavy, melodic, with the Insomnium trademark in most part. Having said this, it doesn´t match the quality of their best releases. It´s still very good, don´t get me wrong.

Highlights are: "Bereavement", "Death Walked The Earth", "Disengagement" and "Song Of The Forlorn Son".

Hits total: 6887 | This month: 12