05. Dentro
06. Modos Humanos
07. Hatshepsut
08. Añoranza
09. La Vida Que Emana
10. De Todas Mis Heridas
11. Alma Infinita
12. [bonus]

Elfonía is a experimental band hailing from Monterrey, Mexico, why experimental? Because they mix elements from different genres such us Doom, Gothic, Atmospheric, Symphonic and Progressive Metal. The result? A beautiful and original piece of art that no words can describe.

At first I was a bit skeptical about this release, the only thing that attracted me to review this one was the beautiful voice of Marcela Bovio and the fact that Elfonía sings in Spanish, my native tongue (is always nice to hear bands in your native language after so many bands that sings in English). So, why was I Skeptical about this one? Because I was in a time of my life were all things had to go fast and furious (yeah, I know is a movie!), so I kept this one at the end of a pile of to-be-reviewed Cd's , A couple of days ago I picked up this one, now things have calmed down in my life, and I have the time to sit down and listen, and give this one a fair review.

So, first of all, if you're looking for something fast and brutal, seek elsewhere, because the best way to describe Elfonía is a relaxing and soothing piece of work, with a lot of melancholic moments.

So, I was talking about Marcela Bovio and his beautiful voice, she has a very sensual and sorrowful voice, that fits perfectly with the music that Elfonía makes , on top of that she also plays the violin on the album, talented musician indeed, but she's not the only talented one of the band, every element fits in place and all these guys are in total harmony with each other, the percussion, with some ethnic sounds, the soft lead guitar, the ethereal keyboards, the acoustic guitars and the violin, everything just fits perfect.

I was touched when I listened songs such as "Aura" , "Dentro" , "Hatshepsut" , "De Todas Mis Heridas" and "Drama" (I actually have to smoke a cigarette every time I hear this one!), this Cd has so many good moments, and so many good songs, I can't wait to hear more from these guys, I would like that in their next release they take those little symphonic elements to a next level, I'm not talking about a full orchestra, that would ruin the whole vibe, but if they could add more elements like more use of the violin (my favorite instrument) and a cello could do wonders to their music, and why not? A quartet of strings! That would be great!

So if you're looking for something beautiful, slow-paced and soft, seek no more, here's Elfonía, every fan of Doom and Gothic metal should check this out, as a matter of fact every fan of music in general should check this out, this Cd will appeal to non metal fans too, at last you can enjoy music that you like without every single member of your family complaining about the noise!

Written by Undercraft | 02.10.2003

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 17 users
05.05.2011 - 23:50
Milena
gloom cookie
staff
For my nerdy proggy, ambient-loving ears, this sounds like a rec.
----
7.0 means the album is good

Hits total: 3558 | This month: 6