04. Face-Pounding Madness
05. Tortured Soul
06. Operation Splatterhouse
07. Strangulation Is The Only Answer
08. Bowel Batter
09. Deepfried Evil
10. Petty Leftovers
11. Perpetual Bloodlust

I'll just get straight to the point here: Shaun LaCanne is exactly what the world of brutal death metal needs.

While I wouldn't go around calling the guy a savior or anything, it's still nice to see musicians of his caliber sticking to what they do best. And what LaCanne does is write some groovy, catchy, brutal death metal. Not only does he write it all, but he plays it all too. So there's a bit of a middle finger to those who think black metal is the only extreme genre with one-man bands.

Anyway, moving on to the album. Putrid Pile's sound hasn't changed much... if anything, it's actually become slightly more streamlined yet less accessible. It's hard to say if this was done intentionally or not, but it makes for a bit more of a challenging listen the first few times, especially if you're expecting something as grabbing as House of Dementia, which is absolutely filled with killer grooves and catchy hooks. Instead, the brutality factor is kicked up a few notches this time around, with a focus on primarily mid-paced chugging riffs and crushing breakdowns. This isn't the most intense or extreme brutal death metal album ever written, but it does require a bit more effort to appreciate than some of the more groove-oriented releases.

LaCanne's vocals are as deep as ever, with speaker-rupturing gutturals and ear-splitting high-pitched growls. This alleviates some of the focus on the musicianship, so you aren't overwhelmed with the somewhat monotonous riffs and breakdown-heavy songs. He still manages to mix his vocal styles perfectly with the music, using them more as another instrument than anything. His delivery is a bit less rhythmic than on his previous releases, however, which also takes away a bit from the accessibility.

Keeping with the instrumentation, LaCanne's traditional programmed drums do the rest of the album justice and don't take away from the organic feel in the slightest. In fact, Blood Fetish is probably given a boost in that department with the drums feeling very much alive, supporting the more simplistic foundation with complex beats.

Long story short: while not the easiest Putrid Pile release to digest, this is still a very strong release. Fans of the band might have a hard time dealing with the change in simplicity, but at the end of the day it's a relatively easy obstacle to get over. Especially if you've been waiting for this guy to release something less groove-based and more "directly" brutal.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 9

Written on 06.06.2012 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 188 users
06.06.2012 - 20:59
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
Indeed. Shaun is the man.
06.06.2012 - 21:28
Rating: 7
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
He's really eerie to watch live, it's just him... and a guitar.

Still would be cool to watch though, even if I'm not his biggest fan.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
06.06.2012 - 22:25
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Boxcar Willy on 06.06.2012 at 21:28

He plays live? That's pretty brutal.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
06.06.2012 - 22:26
Rating: 7
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by X-Ray Rod on 06.06.2012 at 22:25

Written by Boxcar Willy on 06.06.2012 at 21:28

He plays live? That's pretty brutal.

Yeah, Youtube that shit. Even his music videos are just him with his guitar.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
08.06.2012 - 07:51
Misfit74

Good review and I like the album well enough. He's pretty damn good at what he does and this genre is among my favorite. I've only listened to the album a few times so far, so it's hard to comment further. Time to get back into it.
09.06.2012 - 13:03
Blackror

Good review, I like the album as well...
----
blackror
14.06.2012 - 00:59
infernaldeath87

I love this band, haven't hears this album yet, but I plan on checking it out soon!
15.06.2012 - 09:52
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
This is pretty good, especially after knowing its a one man band, A one man brutal death metal band!.. that plays live as ONE man!? this is a new thing for me.
----
Coldgrits
17.06.2012 - 07:06
emperorgonzo
Account deleted
Great album. Always good material.
Only downfall to it is that its not something you can replay that often.
17.06.2012 - 07:12
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 17.06.2012 at 07:06

You don't think so? I feel like he's kept enough of the groove from his previous works to give this a strong replay value.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.06.2012 - 21:48
emperorgonzo
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.06.2012 at 07:12

Written by Guest on 17.06.2012 at 07:06

You don't think so? I feel like he's kept enough of the groove from his previous works to give this a strong replay value.

Yes and No.
Is it one of the better releases in this genre this year? Of course.
For me within this genre it gets repetitive. Specially now that there is some good releases.
26.06.2012 - 20:27
psykometal
A staff guy...
This shit is way fucking sick. This dude is a fucking boss!

All of a sudden I find myself really wishing that this guy, Shawn Whitaker, Peter Hasslebrack and Jordan Varela would all get together and create a BDM super group of epic proportions...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

Hits total: 6481 | This month: 10