06. Road To Asylum
07. One Night In December
08. Never Pray For Justice
09. Born With A Broken Heart [Feat. Liv Kristine]
10. Innocent Man [deluxe edition bonus]
11. Inseminoid
12. Man Without Shadow [deluxe edition bonus]
13. When Death Comes Knocking [single edit version] [deluxe edition bonus]

Primal Fear, around since 1997, and with the release of Delivering The Black they are about to drop their tenth studio album onto mankind. This begs the question whether the world really needs another Primal Fear album? The answer is sweet and simple; YES!

If you thought their 2012's Unbreakable album was the cream of the crop you will be amazed by Primal Fear's new long player. It is a, in your face, take no prisoners, shut up and take my money kind of opus. With Delivering The Black the band definitely dialed it up to eleven. (Spinal Tap anyone? )

Starting off with the up-tempo piece "King For A Day" you get riffage up the wazoo and Primal Fear sets the standard very high right off the bat. But can they keep it up? Yes Sir, and then some. Throughout the entire album it's obvious that Scheppers & Co had the mindset of "go big or go home" and they did an awesome job of keeping the listener excited with the arrangements on Delivering The Black. Naturally, while some songs are stronger than others, the overall vibe remains the same: metal at its finest, and I truly believe there is not one filler track on the album.

Primal Fear added some nice, and sometimes unexpected, touches to the songs. For instance, the dramatic and bombastic intro to "Rebel Faction" hints to a mellower piece but instead it turns out to be the most aggressive song on the album and grabs you by the balls with its fast double bass action and speed metal riffing.

Why Primal Fear chose to release "When Death Comes Knocking" as the first single is beyond me since, let's face it, singles released these days really do not disclose the albums full potential. While the song is not bad and it actually did grow on me the second time around, I just can't shake thinking about Gamma Ray while listening to it. The oriental sounding bridge is a nice touch though.

Albeit Judas Priest decided to go with "Ripper" Owens after Rob Halford left, it is clear why Ralf Scheppers was on the shortlist of vocalists to replace the Metal God. During the entire album, Ralf's vocals are spot on and on "Alive & On Fire" he not only shines but also proves that, other than the high pitched vocals, he is also very confident with a deeper and aggressive styles of singing. Seriously, this song could be on any (newer) Judas Priest album; not just because of the vocals, but also because of the swaying guitars.

Not nearly enough can be said about the axe slinging of Alex and Magnus. Be it the aforementioned dual harmonics, the "Zakk Wylde" squealing, the solos, the rhythm sections, the chugging - in short, a delight for any metal fan's ear. Mat Sinner on his 4-string provides the necessary heaviness to all the songs and Randy Black is flat out "the man" behind the kit. I think his drumming on Delivering The Black is his best work yet.

Primal Fear always had at least one über-long song on their albums, but with "One Night In December" they went above and beyond the call of duty. Clocking in just under ten minutes this song - so atmospheric and mind blowing, could be a part of any Trans-Siberian Orchestra's set list.

Like I already mentioned, there is not one filler track on the entire album and while I am not necessarily a fan of ballads, with "Born With A Broken Heart" Primal Fear did a great job of slowing down this, otherwise very intense, album. Leaves' Eyes Liv provided the guest vocals, but instead of featuring her in a full-fledged duet with Ralf, they opted to just have her provide the backing vocals on the chorus. This sounds really good and a female voice gives the song more feeling for sure.

Besides the pounding, heavy, fast and furious "Road To Asylum", "Never Pray For Justice" is, hands down, my favorite song on the album; such a fun, sing-along and happy go lucky piece. Primal Fear came to rock and they owned the night. Leading off with a subtle Jackyl reference made my day to say the least. (check the chainsaw solo on Jackyl's "Lumberjack")

I believe with Delivering The Black Primal Fear delivered their strongest album thus far and hopefully it will get the recognition it deserves.

Written on 23.12.2013 by Former boss lady. Now just a professional concertgoer... dangerously armed with a camera!

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 357 users
23.12.2013 - 23:11
UPDIRNS

Can't wait to buy this album. Primal Fear is awesome. Priest takes a back seat to them and I love Priest. These guys are legends!
24.12.2013 - 08:47
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
So if I thought that Unbreakable was awful, where does this land in comparison?
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
26.12.2013 - 04:41
sbgmetal

Oh what a spinal tap joke? i never heard one of those before!
28.12.2013 - 02:10
Hatebeard
Account deleted
You get to review this more than a month before the release? Must be nice! Anyway, glad to hear it kicks so much ass! Primal Fear is one of my favorite bands of all time.

...and although Halford is indeed a metal God, I believe Scheepers has now surpassed him in range and ability.

...also, I respect your opinions, but I thought Unbreakable was a good record. Definitely not their best, but good nonetheless.
28.12.2013 - 02:14
D.T. Metal

Written by Guest on 28.12.2013 at 02:10

...also, I respect your opinions, but I thought Unbreakable was a good record. Definitely not their best, but good nonetheless.

Agree, I did like Unbreakable as well, but in my opinion the new one is even better.
29.01.2014 - 11:12
Honza

I must agree. Delivering The Black is the second best for me. I follow the band since the first one "Primal Fear" and i´m very happy to listen the tracks, which are almost as goog as these on the first two albums.
As I mentioned, in my opinion, the first album was my favourite. Thanks to metal gods, for Judas Priest chosing of Ripper. Without this, Primal Fear will never become to play. But, don´t forget Mat Sinner. His credit must be written.

And, if you like the sound of Ralph voice (who´s not?), than try and early Gamma Ray Live version of Space Eater (Heading to the east live album). It´s simple amazing, what he can...
03.02.2014 - 04:58
D.T. Metal

Written by Honza on 29.01.2014 at 11:12

But, don´t forget Mat Sinner. His credit must be written.

so very true
10.02.2019 - 17:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
We need new albums form this band and well it would be interesting see, IMO Ralf can be betetr Halford as Owens, but what can I say I think he is german, and he is american, thats why yankie won,
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 12309 | This month: 21