Fen - Carrion Skies

8 | 82 votes |
Release date: 22 November 2014
Style: Post-rock , Atmospheric black metal

Owners:

71 have it
12 want it

Disc I
01. Our Names Written In Embers Part 1 (Beacons Of War)
02. Our Names Written In Embers Part 2 (Beacons Of Sorrow)
03. The Dying Stars
04. Sentinels
05. Menhir - Supplicant
06. Gathering The Stones

Disc II
01. Coffin Soil [DLP and wood box bonus]
02. Trilithon [DLP and wood box bonus]
03. Twilight Descends [DLP and wood box bonus]

Staff review by
R'Vannith
Rating:
Carrion Skies burns with an immediacy which distinctively rekindles the black metal of their style, and lessens the aimlessness of the thorough exploration of post-rock elements that haplessly formed the basis for much of Dustwalker. The impression left here is one of a band getting to the point, and remarkably so.

Read more ››
published 01.12.2014 | Comments (8)

Found in 18 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 25   Visited by: 359 users
09.09.2014 - 08:57
Rating: 7
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Awesome, it comes out a day before I turn 21. Can't wait to get it!
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
09.09.2014 - 15:42
Rating: 6
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
I've pretty much lost hope of them releasing something of even remotely similar quality as their debut.
08.10.2014 - 00:11
Rating: 8
Diverge

Http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/513-hell-awaits-atomikyla-owls-blood-nihill-and-more/ Click here to listen to a new Fen track and read a review of the upcoming album.

As for my thoughts on the track... it's awesome and very promising. It doesn't really sound different from anything else that they've released, but I dunno...it's almost like they *sound* more energetic and intentional.
11.10.2014 - 00:58
Erik M.

Written by Alex F on 09.09.2014 at 15:42

I've pretty much lost hope of them releasing something of even remotely similar quality as their debut.

Have you listened to the new track? Well, I did. And while I only like the debut (well, I love it, more specifically) so far, that track really sounds awesome, unlike their other non-Malediction Fields stuff.

If the whole album is going to be like that track, it might even come close or equal the debut.
11.10.2014 - 06:04
Diverge

It's hilarious to me how everyone is overreacting to this track. It's an awesome song, don't get me wrong, but it's not like it's actually far superior to anything Fen had done before.
17.11.2014 - 22:05
Rating: 9
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Well, gave it one thorough listen. Good, not great. After the mighty Dustwalker, I was expecting more - it's a bit of a letdown. Maybe it will grow on me.
----
rekt
17.11.2014 - 22:36
Diverge

Written by tea[m]ster on 17.11.2014 at 22:05

Well, gave it one thorough listen. Good, not great. After the mighty Dustwalker, I was expecting more - it's a bit of a letdown. Maybe it will grow on me.

Whoa it's out. I'll check it out tonight.

I was a moderate fan of Dustwalker, but man oh man did the released tracks for this album sound good. I'm hoping your love affair with Dustwalker is prompting this reaction.
18.11.2014 - 01:05
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Diverge on 17.11.2014 at 22:36

I'm hoping your love affair with Dustwalker is prompting this reaction.

The amount of variety on Dustwalker is off the charts. So many different styles and types of genre bending. The songs on this album all have the same premise and formula - nothing key that differentiates them unfortunately. But like I said. They are good songs, and I am sure they will eventually rub off on me.
----
rekt
18.11.2014 - 06:13
Diverge

Yeah, it's a tough little record to assign a rating to. I'm gonna give it an 8 for now- that bass pulls it just over the 7/8 threshold for me. While this isn't the most technical album nor the most enthralling album Fen has made, it's the tightest the band has ever sounded imo. Every single track sounds very well practised and is performed with a distinctive energy only seen rarely on other Fen records. Also, the clean vocals present on this record aren't awful like some of the cleans on The Malediction Fields and Dustwalker- some of you might disagree with me on that one, but I think the cleans tend to be hit or miss with Fen sometimes.

This record really depends on what you think of the band's approach here. I imagine people who only enjoyed The Malediction Fields will dig this new approach, but will ultimately hate the way the tracks develop. It's so purposive and urgent, even riff-based at points, that it actually loses the enthralling dynamism I loved from Epoch and Dustwalker. I love how sinewy some of the tracks on those records were, and I especially admired just how patient Fen was in letting their arrangements develop to meaningful climaxes, even if it took minutes. But this skill is not quite as apparent on this album, as 45-second melodies and repetitive lines like "lost and not forgotten" tend to overpower this record for me. In fact, some points of the record make me feel like I'm listening to a Fen-wannabe band because of how boring the tracks end up being if they don't have a nice climax. The amount of variety Fen can pull off within a single song can generally salvage the tracks, though, even if the climax sucks. So Carrion Skies is not necessarily a disappointment, but I just wish that energy was put towards tracks with even better climax development.
19.11.2014 - 19:33
God Alone

My attention is wavering too much for my tastes. It has its great moments, but also some very boring ones. And it's just the same thing over and over again, stretched for 60+ minutes. I'm quite unsure about my relationship with them, which started very well with The Malediction Fields, peaked with the excellent Epoch, settled with Dustwalker, and is probably heading toward the end of the line with this album. Well, shit happens. But I'm not giving up yet.
22.11.2014 - 23:04
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I gave that sputnikmusic stream a few songs and I can't decide whether or not it's just a bad stream or they've really futsd with their sound. Really cold, emotionless tone and feel to it which is totally not what I came to love from the band before which is infinitely warmer. Vocals sound too harsh and direct, guitars sound far too prominent and it all sounds a bit flat and one-dimensional and missing that veiled ambiance it had. I guess Diverge is right; they've gone for something very riff based but to me that's just swinging from the overly-wandery post-rock of the previous two albums right across the board and becoming too much of something else. I miss the balance and warmth of TMF. I guess this is the sound the band want though. I'll try it again when I know I'm not listening to a Soundcloud link.
23.11.2014 - 00:37
Diverge

Yeah this one never grew with repeated listens for me. Ah well, it's still good.
01.12.2014 - 21:53
Erik M.

I only streamed this once. Now the stream is gone and can't seem to find it anywhere else.
05.12.2014 - 10:13
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I don't know. I think this might their weakest to date (and I love their work). It's probably the tightest they've ever sounded, the production is better, and The Watcher's vocals are amazing as always, however everything just sort of blurs together after a while, since I can't really point to an outstanding standout track that I can revisit again and again like on their earlier albums (Bereft, Carrier of Echoes, Spectre and Hands of Dust to name a few). Some of these songs get rather repetitive after a while and there is not as much musical dynamacy. Definitely a grower that needs some time for me. It's still pretty good, but I don't feel the need to go back to it as often as the previous three albums.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
05.12.2014 - 15:04
Diverge

Written by CobiWan1993 on 05.12.2014 at 10:13

I don't know. I think this might their weakest to date (and I love their work). It's probably the tightest they've ever sounded, the production is better, and The Watcher's vocals are amazing as always, however everything just sort of blurs together after a while, since I can't really point to an outstanding standout track that I can revisit again and again like on their earlier albums (Bereft, Carrier of Echoes, Spectre and Hands of Dust to name a few). Some of these songs get rather repetitive after a while and there is not as much musical dynamacy. Definitely a grower that needs some time for me. It's still pretty good, but I don't feel the need to go back to it as often as the previous three albums.

Sounds like we're reached the exact same conclusions. If you're looking for something that keeps the dynamism but adds a little bit of dissonance here and there, I have to recommend Stoic Dissention's Autochthon as a substitute.
05.12.2014 - 21:36
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Written by Diverge on 05.12.2014 at 15:04

Sounds like we're reached the exact same conclusions. If you're looking for something that keeps the dynamism but adds a little bit of dissonance here and there, I have to recommend Stoic Dissention's Autochthon as a substitute.

I'll check them out, thanks for the recommendation.
----
05.12.2014 - 23:52
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal

It's still pretty good, but I don't feel the need to go back to it as often as the previous three albums.

I've played this a lot lately and it's really growing on me. 'The Dying Stars" is easily the best song on the album while the closer is amazing. I was really unimpressed at first but now I get it. I knew their was a method to the madness :0
----
rekt
07.02.2015 - 17:49
Reaper_Redeemer

Remarkable album, one of the best in this genre for 2014.
09.02.2015 - 11:18
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Reaper_Redeemer on 07.02.2015 at 17:49

Remarkable album, one of the best in this genre for 2014.

This album really went unnoticed. Not a lot of people here talked about it. The band is really something special - and I love what they are doing.
----
rekt
24.02.2015 - 20:17
In Bone Factory

Great Atmospheric blackgaze. I really like this one.
----
The End Is Nigh ...
27.02.2015 - 11:43
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Diverge on 23.11.2014 at 00:37

Yeah this one never grew with repeated listens for me. Ah well, it's still good.

How have your feelings changed for this one? The more I listen, the more I love it. I love this as much as DustWalker...and it's two different types of approaches - very huge compliment to the band.
----
rekt
04.03.2015 - 21:34
Diverge

Written by tea[m]ster on 27.02.2015 at 11:43

Written by Diverge on 23.11.2014 at 00:37

How have your feelings changed for this one? The more I listen, the more I love it. I love this as much as DustWalker...and it's two different types of approaches - very huge compliment to the band.

I just gave it another listen and I'm still sort of torn. It's a grower (I think I'm gonna switch it to 8), but really I was just spoiled with how good Epoch was. Nothing the band has produced since is nearly as good, even though Dustwalker had some sensational moments. This one just lacks the dynamism that really pulled the two albums before over the line.
But yeah that's a good point- two different approaches and two pretty decent results. This band is hot.
21.09.2016 - 22:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Thing I can say this oien is mix beteen amb and melanhoily as post rock eleement,
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.10.2016 - 22:49
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Diverge on 04.03.2015 at 21:34

This band is hot.

A week or so ago they announced a new album for 2017. Fuck. Yes.
----
rekt
08.09.2021 - 02:07
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Relistening to this again after yeas without touching it. Reminded me of why I gave this a 9.
It's weird how much difference good songwriting makes. It feels completely different from your average atmoblack, even though it's technically not. Good stuff.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei

Hits total: 7500 | This month: 19