03. Burning In Hell
04. Evil Warriors
05. Seven Churches
06. Satan's Curse
07. Holy Hell
08. Twisted Minds
09. Fallen Angel
10. Death Metal

Released in 1985, Seven Churches is considered by many to be the first ever Death Metal album. Possessed, a 4-piece from San Francisco, built upon the raw energy of Thrash and mutated it into an altogether darker, nastier beast. This is an album which is rightfully revered and respected as an all-time classic - just under 40 minutes of primal savagery, ending with the genre-defining anthem Death Metal.

The Exorcist starts the album, with the guitars and drums kicking in after a brief extract from Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield. (Of course, the music to Tubular Bells was used in the soundtrack to the movie The Exorcist). At once, the listener is bombarded with the kind of innovative, heavy riffing which helps to make every song on the album so powerful. Although these ten compositions were dismissed by some critics as mere noise, there's a sense of coherency in this sonic mayhem, and every song here is memorable in its own right.

The tempo ranges throughout from fast and furious (although never overly so) to midtempo, with some moments even incorporating an element of groove, in their own warped way - songs like Pentagram and Holy Hell are instantly catchy due to their energetic swagger. Jeff Becerra's mid-range throat-shredding vocals are excellent, spewing forth the OTT Satanic and blasphemous lyrics with conviction and anti-Christian zeal.

If you haven't heard Seven Churches yet, and you're an enthusiast of any kind of extreme Metal, then this album should be next on your 'to get' list. I don't use this word lightly, but it is a masterpiece.

Written by Richard | 28.06.2005

Comments

Comments: 20   Visited by: 284 users
23.05.2006 - 21:16
Rating: 9
Mega-Slayer

I totally agree with what you said.I just heard it the other day and now I cant believe what I was missing out on.This is a true classic and a must own for anyone.The best tracks are "Burning In Hell","Exorcist" and "Pentagram".
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
28.05.2006 - 19:28
Trifixion
Account deleted
Very well said, I just listened to this album about 20 minutes ago actually . It's really too bad that it's pretty much under the shadow of Scream Bloody Gore by sheer popularity because this is where it all started and is a TRUE DM masterpiece. The Exorcist, Burning In Hell and Evil Warriors are my favorites. Not to mention Holy Hell...argh the whole thing is great
03.06.2006 - 06:33
Rating: 10
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I think I'll buy this soon...
30.06.2006 - 19:10
Megadeth88

Written by Mega-Slayer on 23.05.2006 at 21:16

I totally agree with what you said.I just heard it the other day and now I cant believe what I was missing out on.This is a true classic and a must own for anyone.The best tracks are "Burning In Hell","Exorcist" and "Pentagram".

Samething with me. I picked it up the other day, and WOW! I was blown away by how good this album really is. It's sad that I didn't know about it 'til a few days ago. But anyway, my favorite tracks on this album or 'The Exorcist', 'Satan's Curse', and 'Pentagram'.
20.01.2007 - 15:43
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Great review, , this album is indeed quite agressive and a great masterpiece, with every songs being quite different from each other!
----
that which shines without names and forms...
15.05.2007 - 22:33
Baz Anderson

Quote:

extract from Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield. (Of course, the music to Tubular Bells was used in the soundtrack to the movie The Exorcist)

little bit of trivia for you..
the film people never actually asked Mike Oldfield to use his music!!! so I guess that doesn't make it a proper, legitimate soundtrack
08.06.2007 - 20:09
orathac
Account deleted
my favorite album from all the time
15.06.2007 - 21:12
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
well done review. succinctly lays out the bombastic chaotic nature of the album.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
16.06.2007 - 22:12
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I have been intrested in possessed for a while now, but I never actually got to buy any of their albums, or hear much of their music. I've heard material from their first album, and it's good but the production is sketchy. I still think I would want to invest in these albums though.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
27.03.2008 - 08:11
Rating: 8
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
"Seven prayers, seven bells, SEVEN CHURCHES rise from hell!"

Ah yes, just enjoying a bit of the old school.
----
The force will be with you, always.
06.06.2008 - 20:28
The Thrasher
Account deleted
The best death metal album ever!!!
03.09.2008 - 04:44
Timelord

I remember picking this up when it came out. Was great then and still holds its own in this day and age. The first 3 releases by Possessed were the best with my favorites beeing Seven Churches and Eyes of Horror ep.
06.03.2009 - 09:16
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Great album from one of the pioneers of death metal! I like the riffing a lot although i would like it a bit heavier. Good review also!!!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
13.08.2010 - 00:21
Cryzpin

Written by Deadmeat on 06.03.2009 at 09:16

Great album from one of the pioneers of death metal! I like the riffing a lot although i would like it a bit heavier. Good review also!!!

Well, this album being even heavier back there in 1985, people would crawl under it's weight
04.02.2011 - 23:52
Rating: 10
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
Awesome review! The album's great as well!
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
11.06.2011 - 09:04
BloodFireDeath

One of my fav albums of all time. The best death metal album ever. Sorry Death
----
Goodspeed on the Devils Thunder
26.08.2011 - 18:25
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Dangerboner on 03.06.2006 at 06:33

I think I'll buy this soon...

me too!