Metal Storm logo
Can we add Drone to Album Style dropdown selection for filtering?

06.08.2017 - 17:45
Lionthrone

Hi MS Team,

I was wondering if it was possible to add the genre Drone to the Album Style filter so I can sort on it while on my phone at work. I know it's not a terribly popular genre of metal but I figured it didn't hurt to ask.

Thanks,

Lion
07.08.2017 - 22:02
D.T. Metal

Written by Lionthrone on 06.08.2017 at 17:45

Hi MS Team,

I was wondering if it was possible to add the genre Drone to the Album Style filter so I can sort on it while on my phone at work. I know it's not a terribly popular genre of metal but I figured it didn't hurt to ask.

Thanks,

Lion

well... there are only 60 or so bands which have the 'drone' style. Might want to go sort under the "style" instead. I will bring it up with our webmaster though
18.08.2017 - 11:47
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Quote:
Written by D.T. Metal on 07.08.2017 at 22:02

well... there are only 60 or so bands which have the 'drone' style. Might want to go sort under the "style" instead. I will bring it up with our webmaster though

Is that more or less than have Suomi as their style?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
28.08.2017 - 21:33
D.T. Metal

Quote:
Written by M C Vice on 18.08.2017 at 11:47

Written by D.T. Metal on 07.08.2017 at 22:02

Is that more or less than have Suomi as their style?

touché

no clue since when we have that in there, but your point is well taken I will get with Ivan about adding drone
25.06.2018 - 11:43
Lionthrone

So uh, not to sound ungrateful or anything, but I saw the webmaster added drone to the list of album styles but I've never actually gotten a single result from it. I think maybe the implementation was flawed? Could you please notify him for some low-priority troubleshooting? Otherwise, we should probably just remove it since it doesn't work.
25.06.2018 - 16:36
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Lionthrone on 25.06.2018 at 11:43

So uh, not to sound ungrateful or anything, but I saw the webmaster added drone to the list of album styles but I've never actually gotten a single result from it. I think maybe the implementation was flawed? Could you please notify him for some low-priority troubleshooting? Otherwise, we should probably just remove it since it doesn't work.

So you never got a single result while searching? Well that's because you haven't checked the "show invisible bands" option, if you did you would get ONE actual SINGLE result! And that's the newly added Siskin Les.

I was trying to figure out what was happening but since those filtering options are like drone/doom/avantgarde/black instead of drone metal/doom metal/avantgarde metal/black metal... I assume it puts the "metal" part on the queue automatically.

And while Siskin Les have the tag drone metal on their profile, other bands like Nadja or The Angelic Process have other kinds of drone, like "ambient drone" or just "drone".
One way of fixing this would be to change the style of those bands to drone metal, or maybe it could all be done so that it searches for the drone keyword instead of the drone metal keyword.

While that doesn't happen you can try to use the manual search, namely just put this on your url:
http://metalstorm.net/bands/index.php?b_where=s.style&b_what=&prefix=Drone
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
26.06.2018 - 01:34
Lionthrone

Written by Karlabos on 25.06.2018 at 16:36

Written by Lionthrone on 25.06.2018 at 11:43

So you never got a single result while searching? Well that's because you haven't checked the "show invisible bands" option, if you did you would get ONE actual SINGLE result! And that's the newly added Siskin Les.

I was trying to figure out what was happening but since those filtering options are like drone/doom/avantgarde/black instead of drone metal/doom metal/avantgarde metal/black metal... I assume it puts the "metal" part on the queue automatically.

And while Siskin Les have the tag drone metal on their profile, other bands like Nadja or The Angelic Process have other kinds of drone, like "ambient drone" or just "drone".
One way of fixing this would be to change the style of those bands to drone metal, or maybe it could all be done so that it searches for the drone keyword instead of the drone metal keyword.

While that doesn't happen you can try to use the manual search, namely just put this on your url:
http://metalstorm.net/bands/index.php?b_where=s.style&b_what=&prefix=Drone

Ah, that's an excellent observation, Karlabos. I bet it does indeed have something to do with the code searching for albums categorized as "drone metal" as opposed to just "drone".

I never saw the Siskin listings because I always put a two vote minimum on my searches so I get released albums only. Thanks for the heads-up on them.