Metal Storm logo
Covers that turned better than the original

18.09.2021 - 01:41
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I'm surprised there isn't a topic like this yet (unless I searched in the wrong place?)
Anyway... Give examples of covers that turned better than the original.

On the top of my head (also the reason I thought of creating this thread):
Веретрагор's cover of Summoning's Long Lost to Where no pathway Goes.
Веретрагор is an atmo bm band that sings in russian, and this cover is also in russian. i like that the vocals are very articulated so you can hear the actual language. Also the heavy synth gives it an even better eastern european atmosphere somehow.

Of course, there are a lot more, but I don't wanna post. I wanna see your posts
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
18.09.2021 - 02:30
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Staff
Only metal bands doing metal covers?
Because this blows Hüsker Dü's version out of the water, but at least the original has little to do with metal.

----
signatures = SPAM
18.09.2021 - 10:32
nikarg
Staff
The original by Trust is great but this cover of "Antisocial" was one of the first thrash songs I ever heard and the first one by Anthrax. I love the energy it has. I could have chosen "Got The Time", which I also adore, but "Antisocial" bears more of a significance for me.

18.09.2021 - 15:45
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Starvynth on 18.09.2021 at 02:30

Only metal bands doing metal covers?

Well, I wouldn't rule out non metal covers. Some of them are really good, yep.

Written by nikarg on 18.09.2021 at 10:32

The original by Trust is great but this cover of "Antisocial" was one of the first thrash songs I ever heard and the first one by Anthrax. I love the energy it has. I could have chosen "Got The Time", which I also adore, but "Antisocial" bears more of a significance for me.

Oh, it turns out the original was also not sang in English. Kinda curious, didn't know that
----
- Reimu Hakurei
18.09.2021 - 17:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I agree whit Nik, band had English drummer, but they were French rock music was anti social, but new Yorkers did it much better.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.09.2021 - 17:51
JoHn Doe
I don't think "better than the original" is the good choice of words here, covers we just enjoy more than the original song (there is a difference).
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
18.09.2021 - 18:06
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by JoHn Doe on 18.09.2021 at 17:51

I don't think "better than the original" is the good choice of words here, covers we just enjoy more than the original song (there is a difference).

Then the thread title wouldn't be bait enough
----
- Reimu Hakurei
18.09.2021 - 18:57
JoHn Doe
Written by Karlabos on 18.09.2021 at 18:06

Written by JoHn Doe on 18.09.2021 at 17:51

Then the thread title wouldn't be bait enough

ok then
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
04.10.2021 - 16:04
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Another really great example is Laibach's cover of Life is Life by the reggae band Opus

The nanana turned into a martial rhythm plus the lyrics being transformed into a totalitarian hymn makes it all hilarious. not to mention that perfect parody video.
----
- Reimu Hakurei
04.10.2021 - 16:33
JoHn Doe
Written by Karlabos on 04.10.2021 at 16:04

Another really great example is Laibach's cover of Life is Life by the reggae band Opus

The nanana turned into a martial rhythm plus the lyrics being transformed into a totalitarian hymn makes it all hilarious. not to mention that perfect parody video.

Life Is Life was a huge song when i was a kid, the song was annoying in itself, imagine it being popular. It was not raggae, just lame pop IMO. The laibach cover is just funny (to me). I imagine they had a blast making the cover.
----
04.10.2021 - 23:59
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by JoHn Doe on 04.10.2021 at 16:33

Life Is Life was a huge song when i was a kid, the song was annoying in itself, imagine it being popular. It was not raggae, just lame pop IMO. The laibach cover is just funny (to me). I imagine they had a blast making the cover.

Media pop music. Always annoying, since ever
----
- Reimu Hakurei
08.10.2021 - 16:27
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Ok, I REALLY really like Rammstein's Du Hast.
But this cover... Oh... This cover...

----
- Reimu Hakurei
08.10.2021 - 17:40
JoHn Doe
Written by Karlabos on 08.10.2021 at 16:27

this is very funny, but come on, better than the original?!
----
08.10.2021 - 20:14
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by JoHn Doe on 08.10.2021 at 17:40

Written by Karlabos on 08.10.2021 at 16:27

this is very funny, but come on, better than the original?!

But man... That guitar solo... That part in Ukrainian...
I don't really know. I can't decide which one I like the most
----
- Reimu Hakurei
28.10.2021 - 22:40
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Pretty much any of Carnival In Coal's covers I find better than the originals, apart from maybe Supuration's "1308. JP. 08".
My favorite one is definitely "Fall From Grace", completely destroys the original (though I'm not a big Morbid Angel fan).
09.11.2022 - 21:59
TheTrueLHC
Limp Bizkit : Faith