02. Take The Wheel
03. Dark Skull
04. The Law
05. Rebels Of Earth
06. Heavy Hearts
07. No Fate
08. Vagrants Of Time
09. Prequel To Madness

The Traveler's third destination is certainly a Prequel To Madness, but just how mad can it possibly be?

The Canadian heavy metal group Traveler, who formed back in 2017, have developed quite a positive reputation in the trad metal scene thus far. After unleashing their highly acclaimed 2019 self-titled full-length debut, the band turned their attention towards their sophomore a year later, which also garnered positive feedback from heavy metal fans far and wide. Now returning 4 years later, this time presenting their third full-length offering, Prequel To Madness, Traveler have established what returning listeners to the band should expect stylistically, but how does this latest effort compare to their previous offerings, and of course, the ever-growing NWOTHM scene?

Last year, the band welcomed former bassist of Canadian thrash act Hazzerd to the ranks in Jake Axl Wendt, who reunites with their former Hazzerd bandmate in guitarist Toryin Schadlich. With this new addition, one can expect an increase in ferocity and a rise in energy levels, and this is immediately evident from the short, rapid-paced instrumental intro, "Mayday", which naturally flows into the main opening track "Take The Wheel". Led by a rapid rhythm section, speedy melodic intertwining riffs, and a breakneck shredding solo midway in, this is certainly a highly energetic opener that'll surely get fans of traditional heavy metal up on their feet and ready for fist-pumping, headbanging action from the get-go.

Traveler get things off to a high-flying speedy start on Prequel To Madness, "Dark Skull" continues in similar fashion; although this song may not be at quite the same level of ferocity as the opener, it's certainly just as energetic and enjoyable. Now, for any metalheads out there who may have doubted Traveler's abilities to provide memorable riffs, "Dark Skull" provides clear evidence to the contrary, as it begins with one of the most catchy traditional heavy metal riffs imaginable. This ain't the only memorable riff to feature on Prequel To Madness; the album is practically brimming top-to-bottom with them. Putting the instrumentation aside for now, I'd like to move onto the enthusiastic and energetic vocals provided by Jean-Pierre Abboud; this, for me, is undoubtedly his best performance yet, especially when he passionately screams out those choruses, and nails his soaring Geoff Tate-like heavy metal wails.

Onto album highlights, I can assure you there's plenty of them, starting with what is easily one of the standout tracks, "Rebels Of Earth". After its cyber-like spoken word intro, it simply provides pure classic heavy metal material, from its fantastic galloping build-up around the midway mark, the classic arena anthem chorus, and not one, but two memorable solos. It's also only fair to mention the 7-minute closing title track when taking highlights into consideration, with its exceptional twin guitar work delivering a barrage of deliciously melodic breakneck riffs and leads, driven by a relentlessly exciting rhythm section, before rounding things out with an unexpected acoustic melody, making this song is a real heavy metaller's delight. Still, if you consider yourself a true traditional heavy metal fan, then you'd be a fool to even consider skipping any one of the nine tracks; each song flows rapidly and relentlessly into the next like a stampede of wildebeest being chased by hangry lions. Never once does the rhythm let off steam, and the riffs just keep on coming.

Prequel To Madness is the most frantic and energetic release Traveler have accomplished yet; it certainly provides the most exhilarating and addictive riffs, not only compared with the band's previous efforts, but compared with any modern day heavy metal band, and the exemplary production allows their sound to remain so fresh yet retain all the traditional old-school heavy metal glory. From a nation that's brought you many modern heavy metal giants such as Striker, Cauldron, and Riot City, Canada has spawned a real gem amongst them in Traveler. We often refer to NWOTHM acts as being the next Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, or Running Wild, but this band simply doesn't fit into the mere run-of-the-mill tribute mould; instead, they've established a signature sound and style true to their own, and this latest offering has well and truly secured their high position in the ranks regarding this.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written on 27.02.2024 by Feel free to share your views.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 93 users
28.02.2024 - 04:17
I heard this album a couple days ago and agree completely with the reviewer. An exceptional album.
11.03.2024 - 00:00
Rating: 8
Guib
Thrash Talker
Great review Andy but just wanna point out a little error in it. Jake was in Hazzerd not Hazzard. I know its confusing as hell but two very different bands hahaha.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
11.03.2024 - 01:03
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by Guib on 11.03.2024 at 00:00

Great review Andy but just wanna point out a little error in it. Jake was in Hazzerd not Hazzard. I know its confusing as hell but two very different bands hahaha.

Ooh this has the guitarist from Hazzerd? I guess I gotta check this out
11.03.2024 - 01:05
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by F3ynman2000 on 11.03.2024 at 01:03

Ooh this has the guitarist from Hazzerd? I guess I gotta check this out

And ex-bassist yeah.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
11.03.2024 - 07:14
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor

That's well spotted thanks for pointing that out! haha
19.03.2024 - 17:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Heavy hearts are heavyer song as most 80s bands have written in old head days
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 1145 | This month: 85