Terrance Hobbs (Suffocation)
John Gallagher (Dying Fetus)
Bob Vigna (Immolation)
Tony Lazaro (Vital Remains)

Total votes: 115
14.01.2008 - 07:09
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
First off, before anyone complains, I didn't add Chuck Schuldiner because all you fuckers would vote for him. If there's one thing I've learned it's that you never put Metallica or Death in a poll. Also, I did not add Muhammed Suiçmez because if I added him, people would bitch about other technical death metal guitarists not being in the poll, and I'm going more for just regular death metal, which can still be technical. I know there's tons of great death metal guitarists that aren't in the poll, but there's only nine slots so it was hard for me to narrow things down. Oh, and by hard I mean it took me over an hour to do it (time well spent at work LOL), and I wouldn't be surprised at all if I missed someone. Also, I avoided some really underground death metal guitarists because I knew they wouldn't have a chance in this poll.

I'm voting for John Gallagher, but it was hard for me to choose between him and Terrance Hobbs. He crams in so many fucking riffs in each song and plays pretty technically at a fast pace. The fact that he plays at such a high skill level and still does vocals is also impressive.

*I couldn't fit all the bands that James Murphy played in, so I kept the two big ones.
14.01.2008 - 09:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
all are same for me, so no voting this time, im not such music expert who can tell small important thinks thats why I wont wote
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
14.01.2008 - 12:58
Hamird
Lieutenant
i voted for my favourite guitarist, Jack Owen ... Owen and Santola are the most powerfull guitarists in death metal ... they've improved Deicide after they came to the band. and now they are the best guitar team...
14.01.2008 - 14:49
Stigmatized
Nice poll man. Good idea leaving out those you did. I'm surprised you didn't put Ralph Santolla in this poll because you seem to really like his playing.

I hate to follow suit, but I had to go with John Gallagher. He was unreal when I saw him live, he played some truly unbelievable things on his guitar, while singing too.
14.01.2008 - 18:30
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i was just about to say that Chuck Shuldiner would win surely, but seeing he's not here,
14.01.2008 - 20:37
I might regret this later, but I had to go with Azagthoth, although I am not as familiar with Vigna and Gallagher as I would like (planning to check out DF and Immolation soon tho). If there is any doubt, just check out his work on Gateways to Annihilation...the solos have almost a Hendrix-like quality to them. Only thing I don't like about him is that I think he knows how good he is, and the Steve Tucker albums have almost become showcases for his guitar work, as opposed to the David Vincent albums, which are a more cohesive effort on all fronts.
17.01.2008 - 03:26
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Bad English on 14.01.2008 at 09:37

all are same for me, so no voting this time

You must be crazy man! If you think Suffocation sounds anything like Vital Remains or if you think John's solos sound anything like Trey's, then I can't help but think you haven't listened to them.

Written by Stigmatized on 14.01.2008 at 14:49

Nice poll man. Good idea leaving out those you did. I'm surprised you didn't put Ralph Santolla in this poll because you seem to really like his playing.

Yeah dude, I thought about him for a while, but then I realized that he's more of just a soloist, so I left him out.
17.01.2008 - 04:46
selken
Irreligious
Written by Dangerboner on 17.01.2008 at 03:26

Written by Bad English on 14.01.2008 at 09:37

all are same for me, so no voting this time

You must be crazy man! ....

For me is a magical phrase you can say anything and must not be questioned, 'cause personal perceptions are unique and the opinion is the most important thing in the forums.

Anyway, I vote for CHUCK i don't care if he isn't here, I vote for him, I'm asshole for doing that, yes whatever, but I vote for him, Maybe he is not the best guitarrist ever but in death, he has few contendants. However, removing him makes the poll more fair and the choice was hard but after thinking a while, I voted for Trey, he actually knows how to mix brutallity with melody.
----
17.01.2008 - 05:22
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Vogg ! This guy makes great solos and the riffs are catchy and at the same time brutal as fuck. On top of that he went to music school which shows why he's such a good guitarist.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
17.01.2008 - 07:03
Opium
Account deleted
Out of the guitarists that belong to pure Death Metal and not Brutal Death Metal, I'd say Azagthoth. His unique off-beat and unpredictable playing might turn some people away from MA's music, but I believe this is what is so special about them. There's no denying his solos are also at the unimaginable extreme of Death Metal, where one would think they'd never fit.
17.01.2008 - 19:25
Perhaps I'm biased because I don't like Nile, but is Karl Sanders really one of the best guitarists in death metal?
18.01.2008 - 01:01
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
This isn't necessarily a battle of the best guitarists in death metal, but your favorite from the choices provided. But yeah, I think he is better than most.
18.01.2008 - 23:07
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
i have to go with Trey on this. I prefer his old M.A. work, but still like the recent album. i was first exposed to them after picking up "Covenant" on cassette... his work on that album is nuts, particularly the few seconds of a solo in one of hte first four songs (forget which offhand) sounds like he had a cat by the tail and was whipping it about over his head.

unbelievable.

my roommates GF used to hate my music, she even called Stevie Ray Vaughan "noise" - I shared a wall with him, so whenever she came over, Trey was my weapon of choice to drive her crazy.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
19.01.2008 - 20:07
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Terrance Hobbs, he's got a very recognisable and uniqe style imo, especially when it comes to solos.
19.01.2008 - 20:13
Sunioj
In the end I chose Terrance Hobbs, but it was a really close tie to Trey.
20.01.2008 - 20:41
Cut-Throat
I voted Trey Azagoth, his guitarwork is the most original out of those people. One of the reasons why Morbid Angel standout so much.
20.01.2008 - 21:18
Warman
Erotic Stains
Hey! Where the fuck is Chuck? Haha, just joking man...

Trey's always been my favourite. His guitar sound was some of the first I really liked in Metal and his solos have a lot of atmosphere. I don't know what "it" is, but Trey has it.
----
21.01.2008 - 01:55
Cut-Throat
Written by Warman on 20.01.2008 at 21:18

Hey! Where the fuck is Chuck? Haha, just joking man...

Trey's always been my favourite. His guitar sound was some of the first I really liked in Metal and his solos have a lot of atmosphere. I don't know what "it" is, but Trey has it.

agreed!
22.01.2008 - 19:29
doom_spector
Account deleted
Written by Cut-Throat on 20.01.2008 at 20:41

I voted Trey Azagoth, his guitarwork is the most original out of those people. One of the reasons why Morbid Angel standout so much.

I have to agree on that, he makes them sound different, in a way
23.01.2008 - 11:53
Martinikuss
Hard to say. I voted for Tray, but James is also great.
23.01.2008 - 19:15
Fucked Upstairs.
Account deleted
Vigna, Lazaro and Owen are good, they didn't write riffs that changed the world but influenced a bunch of people, they truly deserve credit for their musicianship. Gallagher, lol can't bother to write about this guy, or about his band. Sanders is an excellent guitiarst, but for some reason, I could never get into Nile. Decapitated was the biggest disappointment in death metal in my entire life, so no big words for Vogg or this band in general from me.

Terrance Hobbs: Fantastic riffs, never disappointed me.

James Murphy: I know that Murphy played in some death metal bands I'm truly into, Obituary, Death and Cancer, but I don't know what he indeed did wrote and what he just played a long, but any way, he's an excellent guitarist.

AND,

Azagthoth: ...has probably written the first ever TRUE death metal riffs on the face of this earth, if you call yourself a death metal fan and don't worship the morbid angel demos, altars of madness, blessed are the sick and parts of their post-b.a.t.s. stuff, your opinion and anything about your taste is worthless and you should fuck off and die.

Though, my fav. death metal guitarists are and will forever be, Mike Davis and Sean McNenney of fucking uber-mighty NOCTURNUS!
27.01.2008 - 12:56
TormentoR_9
Account deleted
I voted for Trey, nothing much to say..he's the best.
31.01.2008 - 16:50
pdepmcp
where are old Carcass guitarists?

how can i vote without bill or mike in the poll?

I'm not sure who's the best among the choices...I'm only sure James Murphy is by far the worst, even if i loved Obituary in the past...
01.02.2008 - 01:56
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by pdepmcp on 31.01.2008 at 16:50

where are old Carcass guitarists?

I don't know man...maybe they're in England.
02.02.2008 - 00:53
Bulletdodger
James Murphy is my pick because Obituary is my favourite death metal band .
----
Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können.
David Hilbert
02.02.2008 - 04:45
Though I'd say Trey is the best, Vogg isn't far behind. I'm not a huge Decapitated fan, but his work is amazing.
18.02.2008 - 21:23
Imraghil
John Gallagher, I stood 10 cm from him it was amazing
11.03.2008 - 17:33
ABUSOR
Account deleted
Trey Azagthoth out of these blokes.... Morbid Angel are Brutal. I'm glad Chuck was'nt in this poll. He would have got voted best for sure from all you people
12.04.2008 - 16:30
Nazgal
Account deleted
They're all good guitarists, but personally I enjoy Vogg's style the most. Trey is also an fantastic guitarist. He creates a great atmosphere with his style, in most of Morbid Angels albums. His guitar work on "Domination" is absolutely brilliant, IMO.
12.04.2008 - 17:45
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Well, it was close between Terence Hobbs and Vogg, but in the end I chose Hobbs. I like Decapitated alot, but I think I like suffocation better, and Hobbs imo is a better player anyway.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.