Metal Storm logo
The Fall of Flower Metal - Power Metal 2012 MK II

04.05.2012 - 20:10
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Looking for the 2012 Power metal recommendations thread today but it, along with its creator 'Flower Metal', seems to have disappeared from the face of the internet... Anyway, here we go again, recommend some Power metal from this year you have heard!

I'll leave all suggestions up here in alphabetical order (I can't recall most of the suggestions made in the previous thread so if you could leave them again that would be good):

Albums on MS:
3 Inches Of Blood - Long Live Heavy Metal (as you probably guessed from the title this is more heavy rather than power metal)
Amberian Dawn - Circus Black (Symphonic Power)
Axel Rudi Pell - Circle Of The Oath (Heavy/Power)
Black Majesty - Stargazer (Power)
Brendon Small - Brendon Small's Galaktikon (Alternative/Heavy/Power) Review by Ag Fox
Damnation Angels - Bringer Of Light (Symphonic Power)
Dark Empire - From Refuge To Ruin (Progressive Power) Review by Ag Fox
Dol Ammad - Cosmic Gods Episode I: Hyperspeed (Electronic/Symphonic/Progressive Power)
DragonForce - The Power Within (has more going for it than you might anticipate)
Drakkar - When Lightning Strikes (Symphonic Power) Review by MoraWintersoul
Fall Of Eden - The Warrior (Extreme Power) Review by MoraWintersoul
Firewind - Few Against Many (Heavy/Power)
Freedom Call - Land Of The Crimson Dawn (Power)
Gaia Epicus - Dark Secrets (Power)
Grave Digger - Clash Of The Gods (Heavy/Power)
Iron Fire - Voyage Of The Damned (Slightly Progressive Power)
Lonewolf - Army Of The Damned (Heavy/Power)
Luca Turilli's Rhapsody - Ascending To Infinity (Symphonic Power) Review by Baz Anderson
Malice - New Breed Of Godz (Heavy/Power)
Mezarkabul - MMXII (Heavy/Thrash/Power)
Nightmare - The Burden Of God (Heavy/Power) Review by Ag Fox
Pathfinder - Fifth Element (Symphonic Power)
Pharaoh - Bury The Light (US/Heavy Power) Review by Doc Godin
Primal Fear - Unbreakable (Heavy/Power)
Rage - 21 (Heavy/Thrash Power)
ReinXeed - Welcome To The Theater (Symphonic Power)
Sabaton - Carolus Rex (Heavy/Power) Review by Baz Anderson
Saratoga - Nemesis (Heavy/Power)
Savage Messiah - Plague Of Conscience (Thrash/Power) Review by Doc Godin
Shear - Breaking The Stillness (Power)
Six Magics - Falling Angels (Power)
Sonata Arctica - Stones Grow Her Name (Power) Review by Baz Anderson
Steelwing - Zone Of Alienation (Heavy/Power) Review by MoraWintersoul
Unisonic - Unisonic (Power)
Vendetta - World Under Fire (Heavy/Power)
White Skull - Under This Flag (Heavy/Power)

Albums not on MS (with some links to some tracks if possible):

Ascension - Far Beyond The Stars (Power)
Book Of Reflections - Relentless Fighter (Power)
Crimson Shadows - Glory On The Battlefield (Extreme Power)
Crow7 - Symphony Of Souls (Progressive Power)
Dragony - Legends (Power)
Elixir - Unleash The Magic (Power)
Guadaña(Scythe) - El Grito Del Silencio (The Cry Of Silence) (Heavy/Power with Spanish vocals)
Holy Knights - Between Daylight and Pain (Symphonic Power)
Katana - Storms Of War (Power)
Kemilon - Twisted Storm (Progressive Power)
Last Kingdom - Chronicles of The North (Power)
Lothloryen - Raving Souls Society (Power)
New Eden - Solving For X (Heavy/Power)
Nocturne Moonrise - Into The Romaunt (Power)
Pandaemonium - The Last Prayer (Power)
Phoenix Rising (formerly known as Quinta Enmienda) - MMXII (Symphonic Power)
Sacred Blood - Alexandros (Heavy/Power)
Shadowdance - Future Negative Fantasy (Progressive Power)
A Sound Of Thunder - Out Of The Darkness (Female Fronted Heavy/Power)
Sleepy Hollow - Skull 13 (US Power)
Teodasia - Upwards (Female Fronted Symphonic/Power)
Winterstorm - Kings Will Fall (Power)
Winters Verge (Heavy/Power)
07.05.2012 - 00:21
Druss
I found it somewhat humorous, but also a bit sad (not on your part) that you felt the need to post ''has more going for it than you might anticipate'' as a description for Powerforce's latest effort

But I like the effort, and I can't think of anymore power metal released this year that isn't here. Will be keeping an eye on this topic for my power metal feeds. Has Flower Metal really disappeared? O_o (I mean the person (sadly)).
07.05.2012 - 05:26
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Written by Druss on 07.05.2012 at 00:21

I found it somewhat humorous, but also a bit sad (not on your part) that you felt the need to post ''has more going for it than you might anticipate'' as a description for Powerforce's latest effort

But I like the effort, and I can't think of anymore power metal released this year that isn't here. Will be keeping an eye on this topic for my power metal feeds. Has Flower Metal really disappeared? O_o (I mean the person (sadly)).

*Dragonforce Yeah, I'm quite surprised at how well its been received so far actually, and personally I can recall aspects of the album aside from the fact that its fast and flashy, there is more memorable song writing to it than I had anticipated. I daresay many will probably judge the material based on band name alone, that goes for fanboys and haters alike. Its shaping up to be the best album I've heard from them. Still, its not something that's going to change a lot of minds, its still very 'flowery' of course.

And thanks, I just hope I'm not going to be the only one adding suggestions here in Flower Metal's absence No sign of him anywhere. Seems like all the opposition to his tastes finally got to him
07.05.2012 - 15:57
I really enjoyed the new DF album. It was their best in my opinion. I'm currently looking forward to Pathfinder''s newest and that's about it for now.
08.05.2012 - 13:39
Druss
Written by R'Vannith on 07.05.2012 at 05:26

*Dragonforce Yeah, I'm quite surprised at how well its been received so far actually, and personally I can recall aspects of the album aside from the fact that its fast and flashy, there is more memorable song writing to it than I had anticipated. I daresay many will probably judge the material based on band name alone, that goes for fanboys and haters alike. Its shaping up to be the best album I've heard from them. Still, its not something that's going to change a lot of minds, its still very 'flowery' of course.

And thanks, I just hope I'm not going to be the only one adding suggestions here in Flower Metal's absence No sign of him anywhere. Seems like all the opposition to his tastes finally got to him

Ah, my bad on the spelling, made that post drunk, if I recall correctly Still, for me, it'll be a little less cringeworthy topic in his absence, seen as I tend to get very picky about power metal. I'll try and keep my eye out for some power metal to recommend, on the site or not. This is one band I recommended in ''Suggested Bands'', plays a type of US power metal not too dissimilar to Pharaoh's latest album, I thought (though the album is all a bit samey, for me) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MZMMFVe7lQ
09.05.2012 - 22:24
Darth Revan
Dragonforce's newest really is their best, or so I think anyway. And they might be the first band to find a better vocalist than the original... Though I'm sure Dream Theater could probably achieve that easily if they gave it a try.

Also, liking that Fall of Eden album so far.
10.05.2012 - 05:39
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Written by Druss on 08.05.2012 at 13:39

Ah, my bad on the spelling, made that post drunk, if I recall correctly Still, for me, it'll be a little less cringeworthy topic in his absence, seen as I tend to get very picky about power metal. I'll try and keep my eye out for some power metal to recommend, on the site or not. This is one band I recommended in ''Suggested Bands'', plays a type of US power metal not too dissimilar to Pharaoh's latest album, I thought (though the album is all a bit samey, for me) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MZMMFVe7lQ

Power metal seems to be popular over in Japan, but I agree, most of what they produce over there isn't really something I can say I much care for. And hey those Soulforge guys are Australian! Though that album is from last year.
10.05.2012 - 13:37
Druss
Written by R'Vannith on 10.05.2012 at 05:39

Power metal seems to be popular over in Japan, but I agree, most of what they produce over there isn't really something I can say I much care for. And hey those Soulforge guys are Australian! Though that album is from last year.

Ah yeah, the 2012 power metal recommendation thread.....*insert foot into mouth* lol

As for 'em being Australien, I meant they play in the US power metal style, not that they're power metal from the US, as in that case they could either be US power metal or simply European power metal based in the US
11.05.2012 - 08:09
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Written by Druss on 10.05.2012 at 13:37

Ah yeah, the 2012 power metal recommendation thread.....*insert foot into mouth* lol

As for 'em being Australien, I meant they play in the US power metal style, not that they're power metal from the US, as in that case they could either be US power metal or simply European power metal based in the US

Oh I knew what you meant by US style, it isn't restricted to the states and you get some bands which play that way over in Europe and elsewhere, just an observation that they were Aussies.
11.05.2012 - 18:40
Druss
Been fishing around on Youtube, and here's what I've come up with so far:

Phoenix Rising (formerly known as Quinta Enmienda) - Agoraphobia, off their newest album MMXII. Symphonic power, virtuoso guitars at times, prominent keyboard throughout.

Winterstorm - Return to Glory off Kings Will Fall. Typical enough power metal, I enjoyed it a bit though.

Sleepy Hollow - Midnight, from their newest album Skull 13. US power metal (or at least its close enough ). On the basis of the vocals on this promo track alone, I really have to get my hands on this album. Another band I have in the ''Bands Suggestion'' section.

Also, you missed Lonewolf in terms of albums released from bands featured here. Here's Army of the Damned from the recently (enough) released album of the same name. Power metal a la Sabaton, imo.
15.05.2012 - 00:56
feather_light
After listening to this I can safely say Pathfinder's "Fifth Element" will be my favorite symphonic power metal release of the year. Everything's all over the place, sure, but man this sounds fun.

Second favorite symphonic album's probably gonna be Luca Turilli's Rhapsody debut. I've already downloaded Dark Fate Of Atlantis and Alessandro Conti has really gotten into it.

Also eagerly waiting for Sonata Arctica's and Sabaton's new albums this month. From what I've listened to thus far both sound promising.

ReinXeed is releasing Welcome To The Theater on May 31st too. It's their fifth full-length, as always packed with an abundance of flowery keyboards, soaring vocals and melodies in blistering speed; more of the same, really, but that's always welcome.

(Looks like ReinXeed and Tommy's side-project Golden Resurrection tend to release an album a year, so I hope we'll get something by GR as well this year)

I'm not sure if anyone remembers this band but Holy Knights are back and their new album will be out sometime in July, I think. Holy Knights made an awesome symphonic power metal album in the veins of Rhapsody about a decade ago and then disappeared, so it's great news that they're back together! New stuff looks good too.

Other stuff I'm looking forward to...can't think of more at the moment. Derdian have announced "something something December 2012" and Helloween are working on a new album, but it's too early to say anything yet.

I don't know which 2012 releases were mentioned in the previous thread, but I'll try to make a little recap of the year so far.

New Pandaemonium (Symphonic Power from Italy)
New Iron Fire (Traditional Power) & Drakkar (Power)
Unisonic's debut (Hard rock / Power)
New Freedom Call (Melodic Power)
New Axel Rudi Pell (Heavy / Power)
New Rage (Heavy / Power)

The surprise of the year so far must be the guys from Last Kingdom . New band from Sweden, generic and catchy!

Also, new Winter's Verge, Saratoga, Gaia Epicus, Dol Ammad, Mighty Thor & Dragon Guardian, but with the exception of Saratoga and Mighty Thor (spanish power), which are solid stuff, I haven't really listened to the rest.
----
17.05.2012 - 12:11
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Wow, thanks for all those, will add them up top later.
18.05.2012 - 13:46
The note the dude from Pathfinder hits on The Day When I Turn Back Time at the end is amazing as shit!
28.05.2012 - 18:45
Druss
@R'Vannith Thanks a lot for the Shadowdance recommendation, just got through my first listen of the album, and I found it very impressive. As far as Prog/Power, its prog-heavy, and reminded me a little, at times, of Dissona's latest (the vocalist, mostly). I think the prog crowd around the forum would very much like that one.

My thoughts on some power metal I've listened to recently:
DragonForce's latest is indeed a slightly new step, but still a bit flowery. Which is disappointing, I feel they could be doing more with their new vocalist. Highlight of the album was Cry Thunder for me, gave me a nice Pirates of the Caribbean vibe :p
I've never listened to any Sonata Arctica album previous to Stones Grow Her Name, so I didn't really know what to expect. I had suspected very flowery power metal, and to an extent it is; but, for me, its also very effective. Enjoyed a fair bit of the album (thought the ''3rd quarter'' of the album was weak as hell, though), I Have A Right was ironically the highlight for me despite my avert reaction to its video previously (I still won't watch the video though, lol, no no no.....).
Considering Lonewolf's reputation, I was expecting at least some fireworks when I listened to their most recent album, Army Of The Damned....but there wasn't any. Its solid and absolutely no more. I imagine fans of theirs will still be reasonably happy with it. The One You Never See was probably my favourite, if not the title track.
I've always had a problem with getting into Nightmare's albums for some reason, and The Burden Of God followed that pattern; its solid, and I can tell Jo Amore is a talented vocalist, but maybe repeated listens will make it more than just solid for me. Favourite track so far: ''Crimson Empire'' (couldn't find a vid, my bad).

A few smaller bands:
Vendetta - Heavy/Power metal. A somewhat Geoff Tate-ish performance from Edward Box, helped along by infectious riffs and energetic drumming, and this album is plenty infectious and catchy. Thought the songwriting could've been just that bit better, but there's enjoyment to be had here. Machtpolitik is a little taster for you.
White Skull - Heavy/Power metal. Definately my favourite find so far this year power metal-wise, and for one simple reason; simple enough songwriting that complements Federica de Boni's gritty, made-for-metal voice. Definately will be checking some of their previous stuff. Give Hunted Down a listen.
Shear - Symphonic (or progressive? I suck at dintinguishing between the two at times) power metal. I'm not a fan of symphonic metal for the most part, but this album does have some nice points. Alexa Leroux seems to be a fairly talented vocalist, a bit of a hard edge to her voice every now and again I enjoyed. I just wished the keyboardist could've knocked it out every now and again T.T. Still, not too bad at all. Track to check: In Solitude.
Mezarkabul (also known as Pentagram in their native country, Turkey) - Thrash/Heavy/Power metal. If you don't like thrash, this probably isn't for you. Its about 3 parts thrash, 2 parts power/heavy metal for me. As you'd expect, heavy drumming, resonant guitars and a hard edge to the vocals. Oddly, I found myself enjoying Geçmişin Yükü very much, despite not having a clue what the title or lyrics mean (one of four songs with Turkish lyrics on the album). For those who don't enjoy not having a clue what they're listening to, Wastelands might be better suited to you.

And some stuff more heavy metal than power:
3 Inches Of Blood - Heavy metal. I was not expecting to like this as much as I did. Cam Pipes', er, pipes have definately improved since 3IOB's previous album, which was the weakest point for me on Here Waits Thy Doom. Here, they're my favourite feature. Leather Lord was by far my favourite song, some great Judas Priest worship.
Skelator - Speed/heavy metal. Agents of Power, from track 5 to 16, is themed on Elric of Melniboné, and I think this may be like the recent HBO series on George R.R. Martins' books, Game of Thrones; you really have to have read the books to get the full package. I haven't, and maybe didn't enjoy it as much as I should. However, I still found it full of pace, and very catchy. I'd've preferred to preview ''Gates of Thorbadin'' or ''Agents of Power'', but as I can't find 'em, enjoy Rhythm Of The Chain instead.
Accept - Speed/heavy metal. Shadow Soldiers. Enough said.
Steelwing - Speed/heavy metal. Soaring vocals, dual guitarists and catchier than a net. Solar Wind Riders is possibly my favourite song of 2012.

*breathes out* Will try and keep my posts shorter in the future, sorry 'bout that lol. More to come.
28.05.2012 - 19:18
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Written by Druss on 28.05.2012 at 18:45

Mother of posts O_O

Its 2 am atm, I'll try and organise all the suggestions you and others have made soon, as well as reading through all those suggestions you just left there! Just glancing over it I had no idea White Skull had a new one out, I really like their old stuff, they're definitely worth a listen.
28.05.2012 - 23:09
Druss
Aye, and though I only found out after hearing the album (like I've said, very much looking forward to getting into their older stuff), this is Federica's first release with them since rejoining the band in 2010 (I think I read that somewhere) after nine years out of the band. I can imagine fans of 'em are happy with that
02.06.2012 - 12:01
Oshunai
Firewind's new album Few Against Many should surely make it to the recommendation list? Absolutely stunning heavy/power release right there. The Scottish power metal band Ascension also released a good album Far Beyond the Stars recently. Not sure if that little gem is on metalstorm though! Brendon Small of Dethklok fame also released a solo album which is very good power metal with a twist. Finally, though a little more heavy metal than power, the Swedish band Katana also released a solid album in the form of Storms of War.
02.06.2012 - 14:19
Baz Anderson
Staff
I'll be looking forward to hearing the new Reinxeed album, whenever that becomes available.
02.06.2012 - 19:17
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Written by Oshunai on 02.06.2012 at 12:01

Firewind's new album Few Against Many should surely make it to the recommendation list? Absolutely stunning heavy/power release right there. The Scottish power metal band Ascension also released a good album Far Beyond the Stars recently. Not sure if that little gem is on metalstorm though! Brendon Small of Dethklok fame also released a solo album which is very good power metal with a twist. Finally, though a little more heavy metal than power, the Swedish band Katana also released a solid album in the form of Storms of War.

Oh yeah the new Firewind, had forgotten about that, thanks for the reminder. And looked those Ascension guys up on Youtube, they were mentioned in the previous thread I think.
02.06.2012 - 19:22
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Yeah didn't know they had a new album out. I really enjoyed the 2011 album, so I'll be checking the new one out.

Currently listening to the new Freedom Call. A bit more heavy than I expected, but still very much Freedom Call (fast, happy etc.)
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
03.06.2012 - 18:10
Druss
Some more albums I've listened to:
Last Kingdom - Chronicles Of The North - Power metal. Its just all a bit typical for me. The songwriting is OK (but typical, like I've said), and I think the album lost a few points for me for obviously trying to be kind of ''epic'' but maintaining a terribly happy guitar sound throughout. Sadly, flower metal for me at times when it could've been more. The title track ought to communicate that.
Dawn Of Destiny - Praying To The World - Symphonic power metal. I wrote further up that I don't listen to much symphonic power metal, and this is exactly why; I got through 7 of the 16 (!!!) short tracks on this album before throwing my hat at it. And the one song I kinda liked isn't on Youtube as well, lol. Anyway....I don't recommend this if that wasn't apparent already
At Vance - Facing Your Enemy - Neoclassical (?) power metal. I insert a question mark 'cus I don't hear it, just that its been labelled as such. The guitar work isn't really all that amazing, pretty typical power metal guitaring for me, and, frankly, it smacks to me more of pm verging on hard rock, a la Jorn. Aside from that, its OK but certainly not great. Title track here.

Some stuff more heavy than power (btw, I just add heavy metal here 'cus there isn't a heavy metal topic lol):
Crystal Viper - Crimen Excepta - Heavy metal. I think it was on strade's 2012 list where he said that this album follows a formula, and he's dead right. If you listened to the first few songs, you've listened to the album to an extent. Drums thumping throughout, decent guitarwork, ''ominous'' keyboard work here and there, and some pretty good vocals from Marta Gabriel. Sadly, it does all follow a formula. Some variety here and I think this could've been properly good, rather than just solid. Also, only 15 seconds of the title track sung by my current fanboy crush, David Bower?! I am very disappoint.
Angel Witch - As Above, So Below - NWOBHM. Wow......is all I'm gonna say. Flat, boring, uninspired (OK, guess it wasn't all I was gonna say), and somehow manages, to these ears, to sound like indie rock at times.
Halloween - Terrortory - Hard rock/heavy metal. Absolutely terrifying....ly shit. This band (the vocalist being the only founding member left in it) has been going nearly twenty years, apparently....and the singer has less timbre in his voice than me. The least they could've done was try and swallow the crappy vocals with the instruments, but they didn't even have that much grace. Also, the chorus from ''Images Quite Horrible'' is......the most horrible thing I've ever heard (granted I haven't deigned to listen to Lulu yet).

Sorry I didn't have much to recommend this time, hopefully my next post here will be more upbeat. Currently looking forward to getting around to Jorn, [bandReinXeed[/band] (don't have this one yet) and Sabaton's respective albums.
08.06.2012 - 15:21
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Written by Druss on 03.06.2012 at 18:10

Some more albums I've listened to:

At Vance is as formulaic as it gets, they have been for a while so the new on came as no surprise to me. Angel Witch.. yep I agree it was abysmal. Not power metal of course but yeah, there isn't really any genre specific recommendation threads for new releases. Most seem to go into the main New Album Recs 2012 topic, and most of those are usually black, death, doom etc. I'm going to have a listen to Sabaton too soon, and those Pathfinder guys.
08.06.2012 - 16:01
feather_light
New At Vance is OK. I wasn't that impressed by their latest effort (and what is up with the topless angels in the album covers lately?), but it's still At Vance. They have a certain something in their sound that always cheers me up.

I also want to get around and listen to the new Firewind. Haven't listened to anything out of them since "The Premonition".

Lots of new releases in May!

New Axxis ! Not really 'new' though, it's more-or-less a compilation of non-metal covers (like ReinXeed's 'Swedish Hitz Goes Metal'). Still, sounds awesome. The band's latest three full-lenghts have been really, really good.

Book of Reflections also put their 3rd full-length out on the 23rd. Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, the teaser sounds typical BoF. (not a bad thing though)

Kemilon is a new power metal band from Quebec - home of Instanzia, so I'm really looking forward to listen to it! Looks like it has some space theme, must be the new trend in power metal...

I think it's been mentioned here, but new Nightmare is some heavy stuff.

Also, new Nocturne Moonrise . I stumbled on these guys by luck; they're an unknown symphonic power act out of Taiwan. Not too shabby - for Taiwan power metal, at least.

I really like new Sonata Arctica, don't really care if they play power metal anymore or not. Digging the new Wildfires and the opening track. Bonus 'One-Two-Free-Fall' will satisfy anyone looking for some pure power in this album!

New Pathfinder is, as I had hoped, AotY (in symphonic power or just power) for me. I can't see how any other 2012 power album will be able to surpass them, or how they will be able to surpass themselves. The only thing left now is to release that 'Fifth Element' video...

New ReinXeed is shaping up quickly to one of the best power metal releases of the year as well. You can clearly see where these guys draw their inspiration from (no, not the cinema), but it's still immensely enjoyable and cheerful. Most of the reviewers didn't really like it but I think it's only second to '1912' of last year - how can these guys release such good music in so little time?

Thy Majestie will be releasing their fifth full-lenth album sometime this year - I think in September. Fabio Leone's a guest singer, that should draw some well-deserved attention.

Another Italian band has been resurrected! Anyone remember Athlantis? Not a lot, I'd imagine, since they only put an album out in 2003 and then disappeared. Anyway, they're back ! Will be released next week - hopefully - .

Now that I think of it, Nocturnal Rites haven't released anything in ages...what's up with them? Any band news?

(that's all I got for now)
----
08.06.2012 - 16:41
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Written by feather_light on 08.06.2012 at 16:01

(that's all I got for now)

Appreciated as always Infinitum As for Nocturnal Rites I can't say I've been on the lookout for news from them but I definitely haven't heard anything lately.
08.06.2012 - 21:48
Druss
Written by R'Vannith on 08.06.2012 at 15:21
At Vance is as formulaic as it gets, they have been for a while so the new on came as no surprise to me. Angel Witch.. yep I agree it was abysmal. Not power metal of course but yeah, there isn't really any genre specific recommendation threads for new releases. Most seem to go into the main New Album Recs 2012 topic, and most of those are usually black, death, doom etc. I'm going to have a listen to Sabaton too soon, and those Pathfinder guys.

I know I've said it here before about various bands (many times now), but I don't know At Vance's discog (only really been listening to metal exlusively for maybe a year and a half, two), but I can see what you mean just from that album. And you've hit the nail on the head, I pretty much don't visit the New Album Rec topic as it doesn't really cater for the melodic metals (and while I listen to black and doom, I'm still fairly new to the genres and more than a bit picky with both, especially with doom). Also....I'd like to reiterate on what I mean about Dawn of Destiny's latest album, I'm not saying its not for anyone, but I'm saying for those normally reluctant with symphonic metal, for me, it certainly didn't bridge any gaps.

I haven't been listening to much new material recently, making gestures to study recently, but I have gotten around to listening to Axxis's latest, and like Infinitum's said, its not really new....the album is called reDISCOver(ed), and no, the DISCO is not highlighted by mistake lol, its a cover album of a number of classic disco songs. Actually, I found it relatively enjoyable, some songs were simply adamant ''NO!''s for me at times, but some of the songs were pretty nice.
Also tried Adramelch's latest, Lights From Oblivion, a proggy power album, more soft, uncomplicated prog than anything else at times. Keyboards stayed out of the way, guitars only really got complicated (and even then, not very) during the instrumental part of songs. Vocalist Vittorio Ballerio was the highlight for me, he managed to give me a Hansi Kursch vibe at times (Hansi in his softer moments, not those epicly throaty vocals of his) which, allied to some lutish guitars, had me in a good mood for most of the album. As far as prog goes, this was surprisingly enjoyable (I have a hard time with more ''traditional'' progressive metal at times), I recommend it. Try Wonderful Magician out for size.
16.06.2012 - 21:27
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
One of the best things about MS is the recommendations you get on the forums, and it's great to stop by a thread that serves a single, very defined purpose of recommending a certain type of metal. It's needless to say that us who prepare the Awards and "cover" power metal will drop by here often

I wanted to post about Shadowdance but you guys beat me to it. Judging by the previews, it's some pretty catchy progpower.
----
7.0 means the album is good
17.06.2012 - 00:27
Druss
Written by Milena on 16.06.2012 at 21:27

One of the best things about MS is the recommendations you get on the forums, and it's great to stop by a thread that serves a single, very defined purpose of recommending a certain type of metal. It's needless to say that us who prepare the Awards and "cover" power metal will drop by here often

I wanted to post about Shadowdance but you guys beat me to it. Judging by the previews, it's some pretty catchy progpower.

That's pretty much why I joined MetalStorm as opposed to other sites, there's more of a ''personal'' touch here, as well for the most part (and that could sound negative, but it really isn't comparitively) the members here are friendly and patient. Since I've joined here, I've found many new bands, albums and such, as well as made the transition from a purely melodic metal base to enjoying extreme metal records. I know that doesn't sound like much, but only a few months ago, I honestly believed I'd never enjoy extreme metal.
17.06.2012 - 14:36
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Written by Milena on 16.06.2012 at 21:27

Ha, you've gotta be quick! It's a very good album I think, and lo and behold its not something we've heard countless times before!

Haven't given much time to seeking out new Power metal lately but I did find this user on youtube who uploads videos which contain a few clips from new albums, he seems to be on the ball too: http://www.youtube.com/user/Powerglove3
23.06.2012 - 15:10
Druss
^I had spotted that Powerglove3 character while searching on Youtube before, I think I was put off by some of the typical Japanese ''kawaii'' metal band suggestions lol, but yes, he's definately quite on the ball.

Anyway, just to add some more suggestions and give my thoughts on some of the power metal already mentioned:
Ascension - Far Beyond The Stars - Power metal. I think this is a hit or miss album, and while it was a miss for me, it keeps a certain consistency that some who like the overall feel and energy will certainly enjoy. The reason it didn't work for me was, I believe, due to the production (both a bit too clean and the instruments and vocals weren't as prominent as I'd've liked them to be) and that ''happy'' feeling to it that leaves me feeling a bit distant to it. Here's Somewhere Back In Time for a taster.

Crimson Shadows - Glory On The Battlefield - Extreme power metal. Really enjoyed this one (only my second or third extreme power album, iirc). When there's too much clean vocals permeating the extreme and the tempo's down, it can be a bit disappointing, but when things are in full flow, and there's Wintersun-ish extreme vocals belting out, it can be a bundle of joy, and it sounds like the band had a good time making this album, too. Lost In A Dark Forest is one of my favourites from it, give it a go.

Crow7 - Progressive/power metal. Like my previous Adramelch suggestion, this is prog that isn't too technical, but sometimes that's how I like it, and I did like parts of this album (I say parts, because I think this album is about 5 tracks too long, some of which is just filler to my ears). It delves into various things, little ''cyber''-ish intros, a Eastern touch here, the odd female vocal. Some might hear it all as a bit of a cobbled together thing what with all the various hinted elements that are never deeply explored, but I found it to be a bit charming here. Try out the opening track (sorry about the video, only version I could get). WARNING: this album does have abundant keys going on.

Dark Empire - From Refuge To Ruin - Power/thrash metal. I felt a bit disappointed be this one, in truth. I think the opening two tracks and the closing two are brilliant, a great mix of power and thrash that just works, but at times in the meat of the album, I think they lost their way, and veered a bit too much into one or the other. Still, a very good album for me, hell of a lot of talent on show. Give the title track a go, and here's the excellant, recent review of it by Ag Fox.

Dreamcatcher - Emerging From The Shadows - Power/heavy metal. Bland, bland, bland. Permeated through the entire album by boring (and worse, irritating) vocals, and horrible songwriting. I recommend against it, frankly, and I won't torture anyone with a preview.

Gaia Epicus - Dark Secrets - Power metal (with the odd thrash and melodeath touch). Again, the happy/campy feel of this ruins it for me. There are enough elements here, and you can tell the band has a decent amount of experience, but it just doesn't strain enough, doesn't come out of its comfort zone enough for me. Ah well, here's Hellfire, my personal favourite from the album.

New Eden - Solving For X - Power/heavy metal. While I thought the second half of this album was definately weaker than the first, there is a lot of swagger to this album, and the heavy metal infusion gives it a infectious ''aggression'' (or at least a slightly harder edge than a lot of power metal out there), and there's enough variation in song structure to keep ya interested. Try Flames For Hades out for size.

ReinXeed - Welcome To The Theater - Symphonic power metal. This.....was disappointing. Uninspired and one-dimensional throughout, honestly, its like a Dragonforce album at times for that samey feel throughout (wouldn't be a power metal topic without some Dragonforce shtick, lol). I enjoyed it a bit during the middle of the album for two or three songs, a slight bit more variation (especially in Tommy's voice, which I believe to be a key feature of ReinXeed's sound and appeal), but even with those...*sigh*. Anyway, here's Stranger Tides for anyone interested.

Sabaton - Carolus Rex - Power metal. Maybe this album is more derivative if you've heard more of Sabaton's stuff (this is my first of theirs, but even I'm well aware of their reputation for churning out the ''same'' album), but I really enjoyed this one. Yes, there's a uniformity to their songs at times, but I think there's enough variation to keep it interesting and the overall ''tune'' of the album is strong enough to be repeated, for me. My favourite from the album, The Carolean's Prayer, for your listening pleasure. I fuckin' LOVE the riff and chorus of this song.

More heavy than power:
Kissin' Dynamite - Money, Sex & Power - Heavy metal. Do I really need to inform you what kind of metal this is?....just look at that band and album name. This is ''sleazy'' heavy metal, early 80's style. As with all that ''genre'' of heavy metal, its recycled, watered down stuff. In truth, I thought it was gonna be a bit different from the norm after hearing the opening track, which is admittedly cliched as it comes, but it has enough energy and drive to be, actually, pretty enjoyable for me, definately my favourite from the album. After that....well, its all downhill from there.

Sleepy Hollow - Skull 13 - Heavy metal. *New fanboyism alert* I know I've mentioned this before, but I've just finished my first full listen of the album this morning, and HOLY CRAP. This is the single best melodic metal album I've listened to this year. Those riffs, those pounding drums, and that fuckin' angel/demon Bob Mitchell (ex-Attacker) on vocals, who reminds me at times of Halford, Dickinson, David Wayne, Mark Tornillo all in the same album? Seen as ''Midnight'' has already been mentioned, here's Spiral Effect. I'd recommend other songs compared to these two, in truth (not that they're weak, they're just not my favourites from the album), but I can't find 'em on Youtube, sadly. Anyway, before I go on all day about them (I think I could), let me just beg anyone that enjoys the samples/album to give 'em a vote up in the ''Band Suggestions'' if you're thusly inclined.

Sorry again, R'Vannith, about the length lol, and for the heavy metal suggestions, though I've realised in the last two posts I can make your job easier by actually mentioning the album name for each band I suggest lol, my bad about that in my earlier posts.
23.06.2012 - 15:26
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Druss on 23.06.2012 at 15:10

length

You could space the paragraphs out
----
7.0 means the album is good