01. From The Kettle Onto The Coil

Found in 1 list
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 37   Visited by: 114 users
22.08.2014 - 21:47
J. N.
Account deleted
"Deafheaven have shared the studio version of "From The Kettle Onto The Coil", a new track they recently performed at this year's Pitchfork Music Festival in Chicago. Now, it's being released as part of this year's Adult Swim Summer Singles. It'll be available as a free download here beginning August 25."

22.08.2014 - 21:59
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
90% of that crowd had the same reaction as me watching that "performance". Like, oh hey, it's Deafheaven. :| ... -_- ...

I don't mind their studio work, but I'd have to be pretty fucking drunk to watch that shit live.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.08.2014 - 22:08
Ilham
Giant robot
He should drop the Ian Curtis act. I certainly wouldn't pay to see them live. But the single is nice in its studio version.
22.08.2014 - 22:11
Lit.
Account deleted
I think you'd have to be pretty damn drunk to like Deafheaven, period.
22.08.2014 - 23:40
raveneffect
Never knew that his voice sucks THIS HARD live. I really dig their studio work but this is shit.

PS: didnt realize how good their drummer is.
22.08.2014 - 23:49
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by raveneffect on 22.08.2014 at 23:40

Never knew that his voice sucks THIS HARD live.

Yeah. I was rather impressed with just how shitty his voice was
22.08.2014 - 23:55
raveneffect
Written by Alex F on 22.08.2014 at 23:49

Written by raveneffect on 22.08.2014 at 23:40

Never knew that his voice sucks THIS HARD live.

Yeah. I was rather impressed with just how shitty his voice was

It sounds nothing like the Album, which comes across as somewhat Regular BM vocals. Here, it sounds like plain (and rather irritating) Screamo.
23.08.2014 - 06:15
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Seems I'm the only one who liked that performance. The vocals are quite shocking, but sound just fine to me.
23.08.2014 - 06:28
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Unhealer on 23.08.2014 at 06:15
Seems I'm the only one who liked that performance. The vocals are quite shocking, but sound just fine to me.

You're part of the minority crowd in the front headbanging while the rest of us look on like what is this.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
23.08.2014 - 07:01
Rating: 7
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Deafheaven isn't a band that you'd want to see at a festival. Watch the Paris show from earlier this year for a good performance. The lighting made the stage look black and white, along with a fantastic vocal performance and quality recording.

George sounds like a troll in this. Must have been an off day. Dan is an amazing drummer (fun fact: he doesn't use a double bass pedal, only a single) and the bass tone is wonderful.

DONT EVER CHANGE GEORGE

----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
23.08.2014 - 07:27
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Boxcar Willy on 23.08.2014 at 07:01
Deafheaven isn't a band that you'd want to see at a festival. Watch the Paris show from earlier this year for a good performance.

Got a link? The only Paris show I can find is the 2013 Pitchfork fest.

Not sure why he's so busy making all those spastic jerky motions trying to hype up the audience. Their sound is so mellow and relaxing and he's up there doing his own little one-man moshpit. I get second-hand embarrassment watching that kind of shit. Plus that drawn out theatrical stare to start the song and the over-the-top "headbanging" (more like bodybanging) is hilarious. Honestly it wouldn't matter what kind of show they play, he's laughable as a frontman.
----
23.08.2014 - 14:16
Ilham
Giant robot
I really had to stop watching because I really felt uncomfortable on my chair and my cat might be watching too and I felt too embarrassed. It feels forced and unnatural. Plenty of other frontmen do "unnatural and forced" stuff on stage, but this doesn't go well with the music. And the more I watch videos of him, and look at his pictures, the more I am convinced he is seriously trying to achieve some kind of Ian Curtis presence on stage. I wouldn't be surprised if he did his own version of the epilepsy dance at some point.
23.08.2014 - 16:19
raveneffect
And I was curious about seeing them live.
23.08.2014 - 19:08
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Troy Killjoy on 23.08.2014 at 07:27

Not sure why he's so busy making all those spastic jerky motions trying to hype up the audience. Their sound is so mellow and relaxing and he's up there doing his own little one-man moshpit. I get second-hand embarrassment watching that kind of shit. Plus that drawn out theatrical stare to start the song and the over-the-top "headbanging" (more like bodybanging) is hilarious. Honestly it wouldn't matter what kind of show they play, he's laughable as a frontman.

Oh dear christ that was definitely cringe-worthy. Gonna have to agree with him being a laughable frontman
23.08.2014 - 19:11
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I can't wait for Tanner to come back and tell us that we just don't care enough to get it.
----
23.08.2014 - 19:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 23.08.2014 at 19:11

I can't wait for Tanner to come back and tell us that we just don't care enough to get it.

I for one am particularly looking forward to him telling people that they need to rethink how they listen to music.
23.08.2014 - 19:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 23.08.2014 at 19:11

indeed.

His love for Deafheaven is comparable to is adulation of that dead guy from Woods Of Ypres
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.08.2014 - 19:16
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by [user id=4365] on 23.08.2014 at 19:13

I for one am particularly looking forward to him telling people that they need to rethink how they listen to music.

I just like making him upset. That's what friends are for. Oh and this single is complete shit. Like... very very bad
24.08.2014 - 16:23
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I'm sure all of your opinions are more important than his anyway.

I agree though, he's a really shitty person.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
24.08.2014 - 16:58
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
My post black, shoegaze metal cannot big played at a open-air festival. Ever. Here, this is how it's supposed to be...

----
rekt
24.08.2014 - 18:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Boxcar Willy on 24.08.2014 at 16:23

So did you not have a link, or...?
----
25.08.2014 - 05:52
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.08.2014 at 18:47

Written by Boxcar Willy on 24.08.2014 at 16:23

So did you not have a link, or...?

I can't find it, maybe it's not from Paris, but it's not like it's going to change your opinion on it anyway.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
28.08.2014 - 16:40
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
The studio version is ok to good but that live video. Holy shit. Such a shame. I actually like their stuff but I seriously doubt I will ever watch them live.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
28.08.2014 - 19:17
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook

I dunno, this is a lot better. You can't expect any other blackgaze band to do well on a huge festival stage in the middle of the day either. (Vocally, probably though.)
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
28.08.2014 - 19:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
It looks the same as the other video, only now with embarrassing fans.

Not trying to be a negative Nancy, but I don't think there's any way I'm going to be won over by their live performances. I like Roads to Judah coming through my speakers, but that's about as far as my appreciation goes when it comes to Deafheaven. This new single doesn't change that either.
----
28.08.2014 - 20:08
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 28.08.2014 at 19:45

It looks the same as the other video, only now with embarrassing fans.

Like I said, I knew it wouldn't matter if I posted it.

As for embarrassing fans, aren't you the one who can't go to shows because of social anxiety?
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
28.08.2014 - 20:37
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Boxcar Willy on 28.08.2014 at 20:08
As for embarrassing fans, aren't you the one who can't go to shows because of social anxiety?

Real mature, Tanner. Insulting my mental health because I happen to have a different point of view when it comes to how this band acts on stage? Grow up.
----
29.08.2014 - 02:30
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Troy Killjoy on 28.08.2014 at 20:37

Real mature, Tanner. Insulting my mental health because I happen to have a different point of view when it comes to how this band acts on stage? Grow up.

I have the exact same issue with every crowd. Anytime I am in the middle of a group of people my chest quickly feels as if it is caving in and I find it difficult to breath. Definitely nothing to make fun of, and I am a tad disappointed to see that coming from Tanner. I'm sure he didn't realize it would be offensive when he said it, just don't let comments like that get to you. No one will understand a mental health issue unless they are inflicted with it themselves
29.08.2014 - 02:52
no one
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 28.08.2014 at 20:37

Written by Boxcar Willy on 28.08.2014 at 20:08

yeah that's definitely showing his age
29.08.2014 - 02:56
no one
Account deleted
Written by Alex F on 29.08.2014 at 02:30

No one will understand a mental health issue unless they are inflicted with it themselves

lot's of people get mental health issues who aren't inflicted, just not naive or ignorant people.

I myself wasn't surprised from this performance after having seeing the sunbather one before, as for the song i'm not sure, sounds average on a first listen.

Hits total: 3452 | This month: 19