Metal Storm logo
Iron Maiden - Premiere New Song 'Stratego'

"Stratego" is the second track from Iron Maiden's highly-anticipated seventeenth studio album, Senjutsu, which is being released globally on September 3rd. Check it out now.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Iron Maiden
Posted: 19.08.2021 by Abattoir

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 36   Visited by: 240 users
20.08.2021 - 01:59
Ag1975
This song kicks ass! I like it much more than the first single. It's shorter, more solid, and what a great chorus!!! I'm sure this one sounds great live
20.08.2021 - 02:23
JoHn Doe
Iron mehden
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
20.08.2021 - 03:39
Malignar
I don't understand much of this later Iron Maiden. At least the first single wasn't a remake of everything from 2003 forward. That guitar melody following the vocals is so damn annoying..bee baa boo. The production is sub par, I could go on and on.
20.08.2021 - 03:39
tominator
At best deranged
Contributor
Solid track, but on first impressions I Iike "The Writing On The Wall" more. That has a stronger hook to it in the riff department and the solos are stronger on it.

I do like the chorus in this one as well as the layering of the vocal harmonies. Anyway if I already like the shorter tracks than I have a good feeling about the longer ones, simply because those interest me more on 2000s Maiden albums.
20.08.2021 - 06:02
Stunning Cactus
I mean, good for them, dude. They've been active for a long ass time still putting out records people want to listen to and they're arguably the most famous metal act of all time. I personally don't think they've put out anything worth listening to since Dance of Death but meh, up the irons anyway. I support it \m/
20.08.2021 - 07:09
Cthulu
Liked Writing on the Wall a little more, but this is alright
20.08.2021 - 07:54
BCI
I was never the biggest IM fan but I always gave them A for effort. This though is shaping up to be another yawnfest... 😪😴
----
Black Crown Initiate have ruined a lot of bands for me...
20.08.2021 - 08:43
nikarg
Staff
"Eye of the storm is here again
Been there before you were ever born"

The song kicks ass. Up the Irons!
20.08.2021 - 09:03
Rufus Valentine
Account deleted
Written by nikarg on 20.08.2021 at 08:43

"Eye of the storm is here again
Been there before you were ever born"

The song kicks ass. Up the Irons!

If this was a new band putting out this quality, people would be all over it.. Top tune!
20.08.2021 - 09:31
majormalfunction
I like it, brings me AMOLAD vibes which is most certainly a good thing. I prefer it by far over The Writing on the Wall which still feels dull. But if they decide to make another record after this I hope they get another producer. Kevin Shirley did a great job on BNW and AMOLAD but the rest have all sounded way too cheap for a band like Maiden.
----
Everything's twice as bright with money in your hands
20.08.2021 - 10:56
Nejde
They have released two great and solid tracks and they still release music that doesn't sound repetitive after being in the game for over 40 years. You can't say that about all bands that have been around equally long. So for me, I don't understand the complaining. Everyone who loves Maiden should be glad that they still release quality music after all these years. And to those who expect a new Number Of The Beast or Brave New World, why? We already have those two albums, no need for copies.
After hearing the first two songs I'm 100% sure this album is gonna be a banger
----
Liebe ist für alle da.
20.08.2021 - 12:13
musclassia
Staff
Probably prefer this to the first song; the synth touches in the chorus are nice. Not expecting too much of this album but seems that it should at least be a decent listen based on the first two singles
20.08.2021 - 12:44
tominator
At best deranged
Contributor
Thing is with Iron Maiden. People complain when they already see longer tracks on a new album and declare it will be a snorefest. They release the first track of the album which clearly is a laid back southern rock/blues inspired track. It's too slow and boring according to some. And they should do shorter more fast pace songs (like the 80s seems to be the standard point that's being made). Then they release this. Faster paced, more straightforward heavy metal (even with some Powerslave vibes in the guitars at the start of the song) and again some people find it boring.

They can't "win" it seems. Whatever they do people are going to complain anyway. I'm kind of glad they're just doing what they want to do with this new one. There's no way they're going to please everyone anyway. Some are still stuck in the 80s, others might have gotten fatigued by Maiden's style of songwriting. These 2 tracks do feel like a continuation of their 2000s work. The people that don't like that will probably not like the new album. But should we have expected otherwise? I always find it kind of weird when someone says that ever since the 2000s it's all the same over and over again. But why wasn't that an issue in the 80s? They followed a certain "blueprint" (so to speak) as well and they pumped out 7 records in 9 years. Now we have 6 albums in 21 years but it's too much of the same? And if you haven't liked an album since the end of the 80s, what makes you suddenly think this one is going to be so different. 9 albums after that "last good one" and you still think they're going back to that exact style for a whole album? Everything that needed to be done, has been done back then. Like Nejde said earlier: no need for another "The Number Of The Beast". It would be good no doubt, but what's the point of doing that?

I don't know, maybe I'm rambling too much at this point. To each their own and all that, I guess
20.08.2021 - 13:01
Callisto
Is it me or is the voice super low in the mix?
20.08.2021 - 13:30
AndreMarcos
Really good song, but the production is subpar
20.08.2021 - 17:34
GrimlyJudas
Absolutely love this one, definitely going in the right direction. Just wish they would lock Steve Harris out of the control room and let Kevin Shirley have carte blanche on the production.
20.08.2021 - 18:01
Aries Rising
Maiden needs to get rid of Kevin Shirley and get a decent producer. Imagine how good they would be with Andy Sneap!
20.08.2021 - 18:17
EdenEcho
Written by JoHn Doe on 20.08.2021 at 02:23

Iron mehden

Ban this person immediately.
20.08.2021 - 18:48
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
The song impressed me, alot more thsn I expected it to, I really liked the drum and bass rhythm, and it had a cool chorus, and decent guitar solo, and the production sounds ok too me.

It sounds like another decent Iron Maiden song, nor a classic, but they still have it even after all these years🤘 really looking forward to the album, hope it lives up.
20.08.2021 - 18:50
Redel
The first two songs from the new album perfectly fit the style of The Book of Souls I would say. For me, they dont quite reach the quality of the (several) better songs on the latter though.
Lets hope for the rest of the songs here.
20.08.2021 - 18:55
Khold Baroness
Iron Maiden forever 🙏🎶🎵🔥🎶🎵👏🤘🥂🎩
20.08.2021 - 19:06
Deviant
Written by BCI on 20.08.2021 at 07:54

I was never the biggest IM fan but I always gave them A for effort. This though is shaping up to be another yawnfest... 😪😴

I don't really get why people comment on and judge the work of bands they don't like in the first place. Does it make you feel superior? Because I feel obligated to inform you that you're not... at all. You just like different bands. It's as simple as that.

Anyway, I think Stratego is decent, but liked Writing on the Wall more. Although I'm certain there will be a few songs on Senjutsu that I end up loving. They have yet to record an album I don't like at least half of, including X Factor and Virtual XI.
20.08.2021 - 19:20
Redel
Written by Deviant on 20.08.2021 at 19:06

I don't really get why people comment on and judge the work of bands they don't like in the first place.

How am I even able to say if I like a band or not if I am not allowed to judge their work in the first place?
20.08.2021 - 19:57
SoUnDs LiKe PoP
Written by JoHn Doe on 20.08.2021 at 02:23

Iron mehden

Yep.

Pioneers? Absolutely. Influential? Absolutely.

But in 2021, their music just doesn't stack up. If any of their albums released today under a different name, they wouldn't even be able to reach 50 patreon supporters, because there is nothing remarkable about their music.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
20.08.2021 - 23:25
UPDIRNS
Decent song for Maiden. Writing on the Wall is a much better song IMO. Hopefully this one grows on me more.
21.08.2021 - 15:08
Ellinor
I have a bad feeling about this album.
21.08.2021 - 17:27
metalbrat
What is this track? James Bond BGM with the great Maiden riffs??.... Anyways, I have heard this tune from them a dozen times. Its not that I don't like it, as a fan, I will still like it in a dozen more tracks with the same riffs. Maybe I will not be spinning it again and again for 100 times like I have done pre-2000 era.
----
In the beginning I was made of clay. Then I bit the apple and they changed me to metal 🤘
21.08.2021 - 19:31
Rufus Valentine
Account deleted
Listened to this a few times now and have to agree with the comments regarding the production. The song itself is quality - but the audio is over-produced and muted. Those vocals and guitar leads are way too low in the mix and Nicko's snare almost sounds like a tom!
21.08.2021 - 19:48
F3ynman
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
My first impression: Pretty average song. I don't hear anything special.
21.08.2021 - 23:47
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
I didn't really care for this song the first time I heard it, but god damn it if it didn't sneak up on me, and suddenly I found myself humming the chorus today while making dinner. Apparently its hooks were already in me. Hooks in the ceiling for that well-hung feeling.

Up the Irons, and all that.

Hits total: 2943 | This month: 8