03. Wig Stand
04. Blueprint Soul
05. The Downside
06. Sour Times
07. Hibernation
08. Strata Of Fear
09. The Secret [bonus]

A Diving Confessional…

Doom metal reveals great bands and stories of resilience. Like life, it's enduring and powerful. Confessor, a band from Raleigh, North Carolina, stands out with their intricate and technically sophisticated approach, blending traditional doom and progressive metal. Their debut album, Condemned from 1991, showcased their technical musical skill; unfortunately, they disbanded in 1994, only to reunite in 2002.

Their second full-length album, Unraveled (which followed appearances on several compilations and demos), showcases their evolution. Initially labeled as a doom metal band in the late '80s and early '90s, Unraveled sees the band lean in a more progressive direction after having endured several lineup changes and a breakup in 1992, with only the death of longtime guitarist Ivan Colon in 2002 sparking their reunion.

Unraveled presents dark, immersive tracks that allow vocalist Scott Jeffreys’ emotional delivery to shine. With great riffs, memorable guitar solos, and deep bass blended with intricate drumming, it creates a dense sonic landscape that remains cohesive and engaging. Tracks like “Blueprint Soul” and “Sour Times” exhibit the band's doom influences, while “Hibernation” and “Downside” demonstrate their technical prog skills, particularly in the innovative drumming by Steve Shelton. Shelton, a legend among drummers of the style, allegedly stated in an Earache interview, "I kind of learned how to play drums in Confessor, and I really liked how the entire feel of the part can change with a slightly different snare placement or by adding or subtracting a note." His unique style is the beating heart of Confessor, writing the rules that tech-prog drummers have been following ever since.

Unraveled lives up to the hype. It pleases established fans of Condemned while attracting new listeners with the band’s refreshed sound. Scott Jeffreys' vocals have matured from their wild, high-pitched origins to a more controlled, lower-register style that is more accessible. Though the music is more dissonant and experimental than their previous work, it retains a distinctiveness and showcases their technical skill. Broadly speaking, Unraveled is a blend of technical, unconventional doom metal with a special flavor.

Confessor have been overlooked in the past, but Unraveled demands recognition. Each track seems to unravel another layer of the band's depth, making it a compelling listen from start to finish, and solidifying its place as a must-listen in the doom metal genre.

Confessor has had a noticeable absence of activity since their 2012 EP, but whispers of a new album are circulating. Patience is key, and if the rumors hold true, we can anticipate a rewarding outcome. The enigmatic world of doom metal continues to unveil its mysteries, and shape the destinies of those who venture into its depths.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written by Blackcrowe | 10.08.2024

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 16 users
10.08.2024 - 16:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Good to read, I forgot this band did existed.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.08.2024 - 16:52
Rating: 10
VileVick-Bryant
Nice that this has a review, Also cool to see there's a doom metal band in my state. I also love this album way more then the first album. The vocals aren't over baring like the last album and fits well here. The first album had to grow on me.
10.08.2024 - 17:02
Rating: 7
Blackcrowe
Written by Bad English on 10.08.2024 at 16:18

Good to read, I forgot this band did existed.

Thank you man this is a very good band
----
Invisible To telescopic eye,
Infinity. The star that would not die
10.08.2024 - 17:13
Blackcrowe
Written by VileVick-Bryant on 10.08.2024 at 16:52

Nice that this has a review, Also cool to see there's a doom metal band in my state. I also love this album way more then the first album. The vocals aren't over baring like the last album and fits well here. The first album had to grow on me.

Yeah, they're a great band from Raleigh I remember other bands from there C.O.C and Between The Buried And Me.
I love their first record too—the drums are incredible, but the vocals can be a bit overwhelming at times.
----
10.08.2024 - 18:14
Cynic Metalhead
Ambrish Saxena
Good review, Blackcrowe.

It reminds me of listening two good releases pretty late in 2016 or 2017, when in that time around only, news broke from this band they are recording a new album. We haven't come across any update yet.

Good to bring upfront.
10.08.2024 - 19:58
Blackcrowe
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 10.08.2024 at 18:14

Good review, Blackcrowe.

It reminds me of listening two good releases pretty late in 2016 or 2017, when in that time around only, news broke from this band they are recording a new album. We haven't come across any update yet.

Good to bring upfront.

I was very impressed with their debut album, but after that, they disappeared from my radar. In the last few years, I’ve immersed myself in doom metal and rediscovered them. It's a mix of good and sad news, though, as Ivan Colon passed away. However, the band reorganized and put out a great album. I hope we hear news of a new release soon.
----

Hits total: 372 | This month: 56