03. The Infantry Corps
04. For Richer For Poorer
05. Martyrs of Eternity
06. Innocent Torture
07. Suspended Animation
08. H
09. Terminal Reward
10. Robbie Soles

I've nosedived earlier into unrecognised, overlooked and underappreciated thrash units from Brazil, Canada, Italy, Germany, and a smatter from US, pulled from the greatest eras of thrash metal—the early '80s to late '90s. This time, my radar locked onto an Australian thrash machine, namely Mortal Sin. Being heavily influenced by the US thrash pioneers, Mortal Sin accumulated quite an agglomeration of attention with their raw yet exhilarating debut Mayhemic Destruction. The follow-up released in 1989, Face Of Despair, doubled down with even more vigor and focus, drawing influence from Metallica's Kill 'Em All. However, in contrast to Metallica's raw, unpolished aggression, it takes a more refined approach in production, coming off as a faster, more aggressive version of Ride The Lightning—minus the balladry.

Face Of Despair finds its roots deeply embedded in the thrash traditions of the mid-to-late 1980s, echoing the ferocity of Slayer’s Reign In Blood and the structural complexity of Metallica’s ...And Justice For All in "I Am Immortal" and "Martyrs Of Eternity" ripping with breakneck speed and tightly woven riffs, exhibiting the band’s relentless energy and technical precision.

The production on Face Of Despair marks a significant improvement over their debut. The mix is clearer, allowing the intricate guitar work of Paul Carwana and Keith Kristofferson, with delicately crafted razor-sharp solos, to stand as some of the album’s finest moments (taking "The Infantry Corps" and "Voyage Of The Disturbed" as prime examples here). The drums deliver a menacing approach with steady double bass, which is somewhat atypical and adds a layer of intensity to the album; bobbing and weaving between tempos and tones keeps Face Of Despair firing on all cylinders for nearly its entire duration. A standout track, "For Richer For Poorer", may initially seem spastic with its scattershot rhythms, but the band expertly tugs on the reins, keeping the flow natural and cohesive.

At times, the album's pace feels disjointed, stumbling horribly in the middle section and creating a sense of redundancy. That's where I felt the urge for some high-octane tracks to snap the album back on track and restore its drive. This is a common pitfall in thrash metal, when bands are tempted to introduce some well-timed balance to the intensity and energy, and the end result often hinders the album's momentum.

Despite these palpable drawbacks holding Face Of Despair back from reaching the masses, it still deserves recognition for its craft. Some fans might be quick to attribute its success to Metallica’s influence, but Face Of Despair tops anything Metallica produced post-1986, and gives many of the stronger Bay Area acts that followed a real run for their money. No, I'm not high and haven't gone fucking nuts here. These Australians punched out a significantly strong album that will try to resonate with you.

Highlights: "The Infantry Corps", "Voyage Of The Disturbed", and "For Richer For Poorer"

Written by Cynic Metalhead | 26.08.2024

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 12 users
27.08.2024 - 09:45
Rating: 8
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Thanks for resurfacing another classic hidden gem. This is simply great Bay Area-style thrash, where the vocals sound very much like Hetfield.
27.08.2024 - 10:45
Cynic Metalhead
Ambrish Saxena
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 27.08.2024 at 09:45

This is simply great Bay Area-style thrash, where the vocals sound very much like Hetfield.

Correct. This ticks all the boxes of bay area, except not many Australian thrash bands have had a legacy to stay active.

I found moderately appealing and when I had a couple of runs, it really compelled me to think about the establishment of its style, and that's prevalent in their subsequent releases.
27.08.2024 - 10:49
JoHn Doe
A band i forgot it existed, I need to re-visit.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
27.08.2024 - 11:03
Cynic Metalhead
Ambrish Saxena
Written by JoHn Doe on 27.08.2024 at 10:49

I band i forgot it existed, I need to re-visit.

That was one of the main intention to write the review. Let's see how roll it for you.
28.08.2024 - 04:52
Blackcrowe
Great review! This is a really underrated band from the '80s. I used to have it on a recorded Sony cassette, but then I lost it and forgot about it. Now I’m revisiting and listening again.
----
Invisible To telescopic eye,
Infinity. The star that would not die
30.08.2024 - 13:44
Mark Ayoub
Australia has a lot to offer in the way of thrash. There is a 6 part documentary called "Thrash of Fuck Off" available on YouTube with plenty of underground name drops along with the Sinners. If you don't feel like investing the time watching, I recommend Addictive, Allegiance, Armoured Angel, Bezerker, Frozen Doberman, Hobbs' Angel Of Death, Massive Appendage, Nothing Sacred, Slaughter Lord and Taramis. There's more of course; this is just a taster
----
It takes a lifetime to build a friendship
And a millisecond to destroy it
30.08.2024 - 14:44
Cynic Metalhead
Ambrish Saxena
Written by Mark Ayoub on 30.08.2024 at 13:44

I recommend Addictive, Allegiance, Armoured Angel, Bezerker, Frozen Doberman, Hobbs' Angel Of Death, Massive Appendage, Nothing Sacred, Slaughter Lord and Taramis. There's more of course; this is just a taster

I watched the documentary and it didn't appeal much. Thanks for dropping names. I've heard Massive, Nothing Sacred, Slaughter...will check out remaining ones.

Hits total: 462 | This month: 198