Metal Storm logo
Metallica

Original post

Posted by +{Jonas}+, 24.09.2008 - 04:44
Once again, topic for Metallica.

Quote:

WRITTEN BY X-CALIBER:
Youve been the one making the same excuse over and over again. I know its not 84. But even for 08, I still think that DM isnt an amazing album. So, why do you like it so much?

Because it's strong, agressive, fast, the solos are back, and it has SOME ELEMENTS form the old stuff. I loved ...And Justice For All so there's not really a reason for me to hate Death Magnetic. I enjoy every Metallica album, some more than others,. but DM is deffinitely in teh ones I like the most.

I mean, you can't expect that they make the same stuff they did in 83, when they were like 20 years old, when it's 2008, and they're 45 years old. Maybe they're not so skilled, maybe the album is mediocre, but since I am no musician, I can't really judge. People who bashed how "mediocre" the album supposedly is, for like 4 pages in teh past topic whould go and listen to Dram Theater or Porcupine Tree or sth. Like that, you'll find no mediocre stuff there.
14.03.2009 - 22:29
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Doc G. on 14.03.2009 at 22:24

Written by K✞ulu on 14.03.2009 at 22:21

I think one of such songs is Harvester of Sorrow. Live it just sounds so brutal. I remember watching this song live from Moscow in 1991, and it was indescribable. The reason is probably because this song is from ... And Justice For All.

Probably because the main problem with And Justice was the terrible mixing. Couldn't say too much otherwise, never really gave that album a serious listen.

You didn't? Well, for me it's a very original album. I had a click for that album about a month ago, and I was totally loving it. I still think it's an amazing album despite the terrible mixing.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
23.03.2009 - 10:04
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
What the hell does this means - http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/metallica-for-wacken-2010/
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

23.03.2009 - 14:13
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Ellrohir: Isn't it obvious? Metallica are going to perform at Wacken...? I think that's pretty cool...what's so wrong with that...
23.03.2009 - 18:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=2084] on 23.03.2009 at 14:13

@Ellrohir: Isn't it obvious? Metallica are going to perform at Wacken...? I think that's pretty cool...what's so wrong with that...

People just want Metallica to perform there, that does not mean they will. And I don't think Wacken will be able to afford them actually.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.03.2009 - 22:41
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Marcel: Yeah I would have to agree...they'd probably want a million dollars...greedy bastards
03.04.2009 - 22:16
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
----
(space for rent)
03.04.2009 - 22:36
Elio
Red Nightmare
Lol wtf is that?
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
03.04.2009 - 22:37
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
That's exactly what I'd like to ask. And where do you get all these pics, Dane?
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

03.04.2009 - 23:40
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by K✞ulu on 03.04.2009 at 22:37

I came across that picture of them and I just added the caption to it. I thought it was funny, but if it is inappropriate I can take it off the site.
----
(space for rent)
03.04.2009 - 23:42
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Dane Train on 03.04.2009 at 23:40

I came across that picture of them and I just added the caption to it. I thought it was funny, but if it is inappropriate I can take it off the site.

no... of course not... it's awesome... so where did you find it? is it really Lars kissing James? That's hilarious. And James' face is
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

03.04.2009 - 23:45
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by K✞ulu on 03.04.2009 at 23:42

Written by Dane Train on 03.04.2009 at 23:40

no... of course not... it's awesome... so where did you find it? is it really Lars kissing James? That's hilarious. And James' face is

Jason Newkid back in Metallica....James Hetfield back in therapy.
----
(space for rent)
04.04.2009 - 02:51
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
It's good to see that both parties resolved their differences and can bury old bridges...wish I could see that performance...
04.04.2009 - 14:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=2084] on 23.03.2009 at 22:41

@Marcel: Yeah I would have to agree...they'd probably want a million dollars...greedy bastards

They actually want more than that. I read that Pinkpop had to pay Metallica 1 million EURO last year.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.04.2009 - 14:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=2084] on 04.04.2009 at 02:51

... and can bury old bridges...

interesting mix up of words here.

It is either "bury the hatchet" or "burn (old) bridges"
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.04.2009 - 22:03
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.04.2009 at 14:23

Written by [user id=2084] on 04.04.2009 at 02:51

... and can bury old bridges...

interesting mix up of words here.

It is either "bury the hatchet" or "burn (old) bridges"

Oops! BURN old bridges! There was also someone in there that typed "hopefully James can act like an adult long enough to get through one song with Jason" hahah...I find that they all act like children though...even Jason!
04.04.2009 - 23:55
mankvill
I bet Wacken could afford to get Metallica.
05.04.2009 - 17:39
wrathchild
Staff
A dream come true: I've seen hem live! That was on the second and last night of their tour in Paris, and that was good.
First, the idea of setting the stage in the middle is awesome, now I can't understand how other such big bands are not doing the same, it is so much better: every part of the venue becomes useful, and no one is left to a ridiculously remote corner. Not only that but the whole atmosphere is made even through the venue. I could go on like that for ages, but you probably got the point.
And well, the concert was excellent. The setlist included no less than 6 Death Magnetic songs, 3 from Kill'Em All, 4 from Metallica (including Holier Than Thou) and more.
We also had a nice surprise, as James called in Biff Byford from Saxon, explaining that Metallica's 2nd show ever was opening for Saxon. Then they played Saxon's Motorcycle Man.

The 2 openers weren't bad but suffered from an awful sound. The Sword is probably an interesting and promising band - although some parts were a bit boring - and I'm quite happy Metallica (oh well, Lars) chose them despite the fact they're pretty unknown. That's the spirit.
As for Machine Head, well, I'm not a fan, but the band did quite well for their last show on that tour - and for Phil Demmel's birthday.
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
05.04.2009 - 20:23
Lord_Regnier
I couldn't believe it when I read the newspapers today and I almost fell off my chair. They sold 30 000 tickets in 30 minutes for some Metallica gig somewhere in my own province.

I can't believe there are still so many people eager to see this shitty ultra commercial metal band nowadays, taking into account Metallica haven't done anything good after AJFA. Like Iron Maiden, this is a 'has been' band that should have call it quits two decades ago. I believe some people are simply too lazy to check for better bands and only go by famous names, or some people are so fond of these old bands that were excellent during the 80s they don't see how much they suck now.

P.S. This post will probably raise the anger of some people. Before trying to start a flaming war, you need to know that I'm one of those people who have very little respect for old bands that don't bring anything good to metal because their creativity has gone years ago. Old bands that seem to linger on the scene only to make money or because it looks like they have nothing else to do.

Old bands that still release good music, I have no problem with (Kreator, Megadeth, Exodus, for example).
But old bands extremely overrated nowadays (Maiden and Metallica), I have trouble with.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
05.04.2009 - 20:27
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Lord_Regnier on 05.04.2009 at 20:23

I couldn't believe it when I read the newspapers today and I almost fell off my chair. They sold 30 000 tickets in 30 minutes for some Metallica gig somewhere in my own province.

I can't believe there are still so many people eager to see this shitty ultra commercial metal band nowadays, taking into account Metallica haven't done anything good after AJFA. Like Iron Maiden, this is a 'has been' band that should have call it quits two decades ago. I believe some people are simply too lazy to check for better bands and only go by famous names, or some people are so fond of these old bands that were excellent during the 80s they don't see how much they suck now.

...or some people are loyal fans and will continue to see them.
...or some people actually like their newer material.
...or some people who were diapers when Master of Puppets was released can finally see them.
...or some people just like to go to see a band no matter how bad they might be.
----
(space for rent)
05.04.2009 - 20:39
Lord_Regnier
Written by Dane Train on 05.04.2009 at 20:27

1: ...or some people are loyal fans and will continue to see them.
2: ...or some people actually like their newer material.
3: ...or some people just like to go to see a band no matter how bad they might be.

1. I wouldn't call them fans but fanboys, in this case. Following a band no matter what is not loyalty but bilndness, imo.

2. Then they have very poor tastes in my book.

3. Well, in this case, they're either people who go to gigs only for the sake of going to gigs, or they're fanboys.
----
05.04.2009 - 20:48
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Lord_Regnier on 05.04.2009 at 20:39

2. Then they have very poor tastes in my book.

Cool, I have poor taste!
----
(space for rent)
05.04.2009 - 21:04
Lord_Regnier
I confess I'm not a 'loyal' fan, unlike many metal listeners. I have no sentimental attachment for bands. Only music matters to me, I don't care for the artists behind it. If a band I like very much starts to release music I dislike, I can drop it quickly. Or I have interest only for one era of a band. Like it's the case for Satyricon, I love their albums until "Nemesis Divina" and think they are masterpieces but I have zero interest for what they have done after ND. Same for Bathory, I like their old BM albums but don't care at all for their viking metal era, as I'm not a fan of viking metal.

In short: for me, only music matters, the rest is trivial.
----
06.04.2009 - 00:14
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
People still go to there shows because they play older material...yes they'll play Death Magnetic stuff and St. Anger stuff but they will play for about three hours so it's probably worth it to go see them...and yeah, these people have sentimental attachment so it's worth the money to actually see the members of the band on stage...
06.04.2009 - 00:28
Lord_Regnier
Concerning Metallica playing their old songs live, I heard many times in the last years that they can't play them conveniently anymore, that Kirk and James can't play their riffs for shit (+ Kirk fucks up every solo he tries to play) and that Lars sucks and can't play anything fast any longer. And I heard it from people who went to their shows recently (and most of them play instruments).
----
06.04.2009 - 05:40
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Well that is discouraging to hear...I went and saw them on the Summer Sanitarium tour in 2003 and they were alright back then...so I guess they only play songs live now from the s/t onwards?
06.04.2009 - 06:19
Lord_Regnier
Written by [user id=2084] on 06.04.2009 at 05:40
so I guess they only play songs live now from the s/t onwards?

It's not what I heard. It seems they still play some of their old songs but their performance sucks, as their old songs are harder to play than their 90s material.
----
06.04.2009 - 06:42
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
I am still wanting to hear Metallica do an Alt. Country Rock album. My reaction after hearing Death Magnetic was that it should have been two disks with the Thrash material on the first disk and the second being a more laid back Alt. Country/Melo-Rock record.
----
(space for rent)
06.04.2009 - 07:00
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 06.04.2009 at 06:42

I am still wanting to hear Metallica do an Alt. Country Rock album. My reaction after hearing Death Magnetic was that it should have been two disks with the Thrash material on the first disk and the second being a more laid back Alt. Country/Melo-Rock record.

Maybe they will team up with Timbaland and do a hip-hop album like that tool Chris Cornell did...only then will I loose faith in them...
06.04.2009 - 07:11
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by [user id=2084] on 06.04.2009 at 07:00

Maybe they will team up with Timbaland and do a hip-hop album like that tool Chris Cornell did...only then will I loose faith in them...

I was actually being serious about wanting to hear them do Alt. Country.
----
(space for rent)
06.04.2009 - 07:17
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 06.04.2009 at 07:11

Written by [user id=2084] on 06.04.2009 at 07:00

I was actually being serious about wanting to hear them do Alt. Country.

Maybe when they're a bit older and don't care about doing metal that much anymore?