Metal Storm logo
Depressive Black Metal

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 20.05.2006 - 06:20
There have been a lot of threads created in the past about this, but hopefully this can become the definitive guide to depressive bm. If you have any depressive bm bands you enjoy, please share them. I'll start by posting a few (I haven't heard all of them, but I plan to quite soon).

Burzum (Nothing more needs to be said, really)

Drudkh: Awesome band from the Ukraine, especially in terms of atmosphere. In terms of dbm, the first album is probably better than the latter ones (I only have Autumn Aurora which is stunning).

Krohm: Havent heard but plan to get 'A World through Dead Eyes' soon. I would like to hear some opinions.

Beatrik: Again, I only plan to get Journey through the End of Life. I would like some opinions.

Veil: Relatively unknown USBM band. I have heard good things about their release 'Dolor' available from Autumn Winds Prod.

I chose not to mention Xasthur, as I hardly find them depressive, just tedious. WAY overhyped due to this whole 'suicidal blackmetal' craze.
If anyone could post info on some Swedish dbm such as Hypothermia, Kyla, Durthang etc that would be excellent.
05.06.2010 - 10:57
The Turbanator
Hello people. I need someone to translate me these lyrics from this 2 songs.

http://www.metal-archives.com/viewlyrics.php?id=1113465
http://www.metal-archives.com/viewlyrics.php?id=1113464

Thank you very much in advance!
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
29.06.2010 - 21:36
Heretic
Ekove Efrits - A Dream Beyond the Oceans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AklF5XZ-XRk&feature=related

it's kinda different , little doomish but sounds great
30.06.2010 - 00:43
Malevolent-Jim
I really enjoy Drudkh.I find myself in a trance most of the time I listen to them,though I never really considered their music Depressing.I personally only got a sense of Nostalgia from it,or am I missing the point?
30.06.2010 - 03:47
The Turbanator
Written by Malevolent-Jim on 30.06.2010 at 00:43

I really enjoy Drudkh.I find myself in a trance most of the time I listen to them,though I never really considered their music Depressing.I personally only got a sense of Nostalgia from it,or am I missing the point?

Drudkh were never DSBM. Neither was Burzum. But I do enjoy them too.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
30.06.2010 - 04:13
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I'm currently listening to Gris. I don't like their debut, but I adore their sophomore effort. That's quite a strange pattern that I've been seeing among many Depressive Black Metal bands. Their debut is only average, but their sophomore release is fantastic.
30.06.2010 - 21:26
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I'm now listening to Sombre Forets, and I must say that it has sort of a Xasthur feel to it.
30.06.2010 - 21:34
The Turbanator
Written by [user id=5630] on 30.06.2010 at 21:26

I'm now listening to Sombre Forets, and I must say that it has sort of a Xasthur feel to it.

Yeah Sombre Forets is good, and so are Gris. They are pretty atmospheric too. Both Canadians.
----
30.06.2010 - 22:19
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by The Turbanator on 30.06.2010 at 21:34

Yeah Sombre Forets is good, and so are Gris. They are pretty atmospheric too. Both Canadians.

They also collaborate in the group Miserere Luminis. I plan on listening to them later in the week.
30.06.2010 - 22:48
The Turbanator
Written by [user id=5630] on 30.06.2010 at 22:19

They also collaborate in the group Miserere Luminis. I plan on listening to them later in the week.

Good stuff. Have you heard of '...' yet? They're not the same mold as Gris or Sombre Forets are, but they're pretty damn good. Try listening to their album 'Somebody Save Me'.

Oh and also Trist's 'Zrcadlení Melancholie'. Both highly recommended.
----
30.06.2010 - 23:18
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by The Turbanator on 30.06.2010 at 22:48

Good stuff. Have you heard of '...' yet? They're not the same mold as Gris or Sombre Forets are, but they're pretty damn good. Try listening to their album 'Somebody Save Me'.

Oh and also Trist's 'Zrcadlení Melancholie'. Both highly recommended.

Why yes, I have heard of Trist's Zrcadlen Melancholie. I like how the massive distortion reinforces the feelings of grief. Also, I certainly will take you up on your offer of listening to ... (or "ellipses" as I like to call them).
01.07.2010 - 16:27
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Odium Immortalis "Die Schönheit der Einsamkeit" - I remember this as being quite good, and fitting this topic. Highly recommended in my opinion.
01.07.2010 - 22:16
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I just listened to "Somebody Save Me" by ... and I must say that the rhythms sort of remind me of Trancelike Void.
02.07.2010 - 10:33
The Turbanator
Written by [user id=5630] on 01.07.2010 at 22:16

I just listened to "Somebody Save Me" by ... and I must say that the rhythms sort of remind me of Trancelike Void.

Only better
----
02.07.2010 - 14:15
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!

Hail Canadian/Quebec DSBM! Honestly, I think a lot of those guys are the best in the whole damn country.
03.07.2010 - 12:48
Prugor
Mr. Offensive
Written by Daniell on 01.07.2010 at 16:27

Odium Immortalis "Die Schönheit der Einsamkeit" - I remember this as being quite good, and fitting this topic. Highly recommended in my opinion.

I haven't listened to them in ages!
----
Ah... Girl look at that body, Ah... I work out
03.07.2010 - 18:55
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Prugor dude, where have you been?
03.07.2010 - 19:46
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I haven't seen either of you in a long time.
03.07.2010 - 23:31
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
I've been around all that time, just not very active. Somehow I've felt the urge to post a bit more often recently.
04.07.2010 - 12:00
Prugor
Mr. Offensive
I've been around, pretty much the same. I come in about once a week, check to see what people are listening to, get those things, and dip out. I tossed you a few messages, you never replied bro.
----
Ah... Girl look at that body, Ah... I work out
28.07.2010 - 21:07
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Remember that article on Depressive Black Metal I wrote? I finally got it published.
04.08.2010 - 20:28
DemonofDarkness
Account deleted
Hey guys . Check out this song of my depressive bm band DARK PROMISE :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lqHfE1LiZ0

Don't judge by quality
05.08.2010 - 22:15
Voidwalker
Drudkh is not DSBM, that is all.
05.08.2010 - 22:42
ForeverDarkWoods
Can anyone tell me about any DSBM that is actually riffy, really murky, not any kind of funeral doom and just plain awsome.

Oh, and none of that flowery ambient crap.

Gonna give this little genre one more try before I dismiss it as being crap.

Oh, I like Blutklinge, Nyktalgia, Sterbend and Lyrinx, if that helps.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
07.08.2010 - 01:13
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I take it as you don't like Shining at all, right?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
09.08.2010 - 00:41
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by X-Ray Rod on 07.08.2010 at 01:13

I take it as you don't like Shining at all, right?

I used to like Shining a bit about a year and a half ago or so. Now I think they're ok. Not terrible like a lot of the bands in the genre, but nothing special.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
09.08.2010 - 00:53
RavenKing
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 05.08.2010 at 22:42

Can anyone tell me about any DSBM that is actually riffy

When it comes to Black Metal, it's not in the depressive stuff that you will find the best riffs. Depressive or suicidal BM is, imo, the most mediocre BM subgenre when it comes to musicianship and the most plagued by shitty bedroom bands. Just like most Doom Metal, it doesn't require great musicianship.
I have nothing against Doom Metal, though I don't like it at all, but it's a mediocre genre when it comes to musicianship, especially as lots of this stuff is snail-paced.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
09.08.2010 - 00:54
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 09.08.2010 at 00:41

I used to like Shining a bit about a year and a half ago or so. Now I think they're ok. Not terrible like a lot of the bands in the genre, but nothing special.

Hmmm, then in the most respectful way: The genre is not for you imo. It's not like Shining is the best thing ever in the genre but it's the band that lacks all the bad points that most of the other bands in the genre have (imo of course).

I shall stay way from most of the thrash and heavy metal scene, you do the same with DSBM
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
10.08.2010 - 20:21
Got Mayhem?
Personally I think Shining are just about the greatest thing to have ever happened to DSMB. I could probably write an essay about how IV and V are filled with the most depressing yet still musically enthralling pieces of art to have ever been recorded. But instead I'll spare you all the eye sore and just say that I really really like them. A lot.
----
10.08.2010 - 21:00
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Got Mayhem? on 10.08.2010 at 20:21

I could probably write an essay about how IV and V are filled with the most depressing yet still musically enthralling pieces of art to have ever been recorded. But instead I'll spare you all the eye sore and just say that I really really like them.

Every person who is able to expand on their opinions and justify them in an elaborate and educated way gains my eternal respect. Care for some?
10.08.2010 - 21:25
Got Mayhem?
Written by Daniell on 10.08.2010 at 21:00

Written by Got Mayhem? on 10.08.2010 at 20:21

I could probably write an essay about how IV and V are filled with the most depressing yet still musically enthralling pieces of art to have ever been recorded. But instead I'll spare you all the eye sore and just say that I really really like them.

Every person who is able to expand on their opinions and justify them in an elaborate and educated way gains my eternal respect. Care for some?

The way I see it is this

Ever since bands such as Burzum and Bethlehem got the ball rolling on DSBM the sub-genre has been filled with low-fi, doomy, and often quite atmospheric music with often shrieked vocals and tremolo picked guitars. And that is in no way a negative thing. I think that it's a great formula that when done in the right way creates absolutely amazing music. However, what Shining did with IV and V (and had been building up to in earlier albums) is essentially throw out that standard formula and create original and refreshing music without losing any of the depressive or suicidal emotions that the genre thrives on.

The vocals are varied, to a point. Kvarforth wails and groans through lines of Swedish and English lyrics almost as how you would expect a Swedish version of Atilla to do so. He knows exactly when and how to change his voice in order for the listener to take away the most feeling from the lines, even if he or she does not understand the words being spoken. Regardless of whether you like the man as a person, there is really no denying his effectiveness as a vocalist within the band Shining.

The guitars have mostly abandoned the traditional style of DSBM as well. Riffs are often sort of Black 'n Roll in style and just as emotional as the vocals. The chunky, well produced, riffs work perfectly with the ugly spouts of depression produced by Kvarforth and end up creating fantastic atmospheres. Other moments however will have you headbanging just as hard as any thrash album ever has ( See: 4:40 of I Och Med Insikt Skall Du Förgå). Solos and leads are also just as impressive. They are often very bluesy (and we all know how depressing the blues can be) with a wonderful tone as well. Sometimes an acoustic interlude will break in and these are always tasteful and well played as well.

On IV the drums are handled by Hellhammer. If this isn't an assurance of tasteful and never out of place drumming then there is no hope for you. V sees the addition of Ludvig Witt to handle the percussive duties. Though he is certainly not as well known as Hellhammer, he is still very talented and does a magnificent job of doing his job. These albums are both very well produced and this is no different with the drums. They are not overly triggered or high in the mix. Instead they reside just where they should, never becoming hidden or overpowering other members. Unfortunately, this is a BM album and the bass is a bit buried. You can still hear it and there are moments (great moments) where the bass fills your ears and you can appreciate the bluesy lines put down.

Shining did use samples on these albums of various movies and such but they never really seem to interrupt the music for me. Instead they magnify the depressive atmosphere of these two albums without ever interrupting a great riff or ruining a song. I guess in short these albums have it all. Creative, original, well produced music played by talented musicians with an obvious amount of passion. I do find it a odd how something like Halmstad can sound so different than something like Hvis Lyset Tar Oss and still be considered in the same genre but that's the beauty of DSBM I suppose. Depression can take many different forms.
----