Metal Storm logo
Music genre you despise the most

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 06.07.2007 - 20:33
i was looking through this forum and found that many people like music which i consider shit. nothing wrong with that, but it made me curious as to what do people on here truly despise.

i, for one, hate improvisational jazz mainly, when the only one who isn't soloing is the drummer playing in 17/13 time signature a 32-bar rhythm.. sure, you're technical, but.... no emotion in your playing, therefore YOU SUCK!
21.04.2009 - 01:06
Symmachus
Written by tulkas on 20.04.2009 at 15:52

Written by Symmachus on 20.04.2009 at 00:10

The following is music I don't like:
bubblegum pop

I don't feel like goig into detail now, but I wanted to put that up there. There's probably a few others as well.

wtf is bubblegum pop!!?? hahaha. i never heard of that before!

You have probably heard of it before, but probably not phrased that way. Bubblegum pop is music (that's what some people call it) that is spawned from channels such as Disney and has a following usually consisting of children, pre-teens, and early teenagers. examples of bubblegum pop are Miley Cyrus and The Jonas Brothers, and probably a few others. I'm bloody sick of how rich Miley Cyrus is and how she wants to put her face on every item in existence. She's way too rich and privileged. It's quite ironic that she has a show aimed at young kids while she isn't even a good role model for them (see photo controversies). [/rant]
21.04.2009 - 05:39
tulkas
el parcero
Written by Symmachus on 21.04.2009 at 01:06

You have probably heard of it before, but probably not phrased that way. Bubblegum pop is music (that's what some people call it) that is spawned from channels such as Disney and has a following usually consisting of children, pre-teens, and early teenagers. examples of bubblegum pop are Miley Cyrus and The Jonas Brothers, and probably a few others. I'm bloody sick of how rich Miley Cyrus is and how she wants to put her face on every item in existence. She's way too rich and privileged. It's quite ironic that she has a show aimed at young kids while she isn't even a good role model for them (see photo controversies). [/rant]

ah, yes. my ears have unfortunatly have heard that. and i agree with you, how the hell are these kids role model for liitle kids? disney hs decayed a lot. i remember i grew up with disney movies and shows (which at the time just consisted of mickey mouse and friends cartoons), but now it's just crap
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
21.04.2009 - 19:33
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Wyrd on 20.04.2009 at 00:27

RAP!!! Oh My Fucking God I HATE Rap! it's not even music its just some random black guy talking really fast about how hard life on the "Streets" is and how much they Love the Money and bitch's!

go back to your original post. go up to the 4th post prior to yours. read that.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
22.04.2009 - 05:11
Symmachus
Written by tulkas on 21.04.2009 at 05:39

Written by Symmachus on 21.04.2009 at 01:06

ah, yes. my ears have unfortunatly have heard that. and i agree with you, how the hell are these kids role model for liitle kids? disney hs decayed a lot. i remember i grew up with disney movies and shows (which at the time just consisted of mickey mouse and friends cartoons), but now it's just crap

Dude, I totally agree with that. Disney definitely used to be better than it is now. It's basically ripped apart by pleasing the mentioned fanbases with a lot of unnecessary cliche actors/musicians who happen to be teenagers and are, according to the fanbase, nice to look at. It is pretty repulsive. Would Walt Disney support this junk?
22.04.2009 - 05:58
tulkas
el parcero
Written by Symmachus on 22.04.2009 at 05:11

Dude, I totally agree with that. Disney definitely used to be better than it is now. It's basically ripped apart by pleasing the mentioned fanbases with a lot of unnecessary cliche actors/musicians who happen to be teenagers and are, according to the fanbase, nice to look at. It is pretty repulsive. Would Walt Disney support this junk?

i don't think poor old Mr. Walt would approve this at all. i bet his kicking himslef wherevr he is, and plans to take all thse kids' life sometime soon it's a shame how fast something that was really good could go down so fast. only thing that saves disney nowadays, is pixar.
----
22.04.2009 - 06:12
Symmachus
Written by tulkas on 22.04.2009 at 05:58

i don't think poor old Mr. Walt would approve this at all. i bet his kicking himslef wherevr he is, and plans to take all thse kids' life sometime soon it's a shame how fast something that was really good could go down so fast. only thing that saves disney nowadays, is pixar.

Come to think of it, Pixar isn't bad, but most other Disney stuff is nowadays. If I were Walt Disney, I'd certainly be disturbed by the shows on the channel nowadays.
22.04.2009 - 07:29
Hrothdane
Written by Symmachus on 22.04.2009 at 06:12

Come to think of it, Pixar isn't bad, but most other Disney stuff is nowadays. If I were Walt Disney, I'd certainly be disturbed by the shows on the channel nowadays.

Pardon the digression. I am going somewhere with it

The Disney corporation really lost the vision that Walt had of QUALITY family entertainment. He wanted to enchant people above all else. The successful movies Disney used to produce just became a formula:

1. Take old story.
2. Edit out all the "inappropriate" or depressing parts.
3. Add happy ending.
4. Hire big name actors to do voices.
5. Add musical numbers.
6. Market the shit out of it.
7. ?
8. PROFIT!

Naturally, they made everything else a formula. This sound familiar?

1. Create "new" sitcom targeted at tweens.
2. If the show is even moderately successful, give every frickin' person on the show a recording contract.
3. Market the shit out it.

Thus we get a deluge of derivative, canned bubblegum pop music. These child stars aren't "artists;" they are employees. The market then gets saturated with this crap, and legions of people listen to it. Pop music doesn't even have to be bad. Queen was innovative and popular (they outsold the Beatles in England) and had some very skilled musicians.
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
22.04.2009 - 08:49
tulkas
el parcero
Written by Hrothdane on 22.04.2009 at 07:29

The Disney corporation really lost the vision that Walt had of QUALITY family entertainment. He wanted to enchant people above all else. The successful movies Disney used to produce just became a formula:

1. Take old story.
3. Add happy ending.
5. Add musical numbers.
7. ?
8. PROFIT!

2. If the show is even moderately successful, give every frickin' person on the show a recording contract.

Thus we get a deluge of derivative, canned bubblegum pop music. These child stars aren't "artists;" they are employees. The market then gets saturated with this crap, and legions of people listen to it. Pop music doesn't even have to be bad. Queen was innovative and popular (they outsold the Beatles in England) and had some very skilled musicians.

but imo the 'formula' for the old movies worked out quite well. i mean, i loved and still love movies like 'Beauty and the Beast' and 'The Jungle Book'. sure they had to cut things out, but because they knew it was directed to little kids, or at least i think this is the reason. but still, like i said, imo those wrked out just fine, and at least they gave us a look at really interesting stories that maybe later we could understand and get interested into. but that doesn't happen anymore, and like you say, there's no more artist doing thir shows, but merely some 'employees'. and i said on a previous post, it's really sad to see such thing happen
----
22.04.2009 - 09:01
Hrothdane
Written by tulkas on 22.04.2009 at 08:49

1. Take old story.
3. Add happy ending.
5. Add musical numbers.
7. ?
8. PROFIT!

but imo the 'formula' for the old movies worked out quite well. i mean, i loved and still love movies like 'Beauty and the Beast' and 'The Jungle Book'. sure they had to cut things out, but because they knew it was directed to little kids, or at least i think this is the reason. but still, like i said, imo those wrked out just fine, and at least they gave us a look at really interesting stories that maybe later we could understand and get interested into. but that doesn't happen anymore, and like you say, there's no more artist doing thir shows, but merely some 'employees'. and i said on a previous post, it's really sad to see such thing happen

I didn't mean to say that the old movies were bad at all. They had a formula to them, but they weren't JUST a formula. Its like the difference between a mass-produced products and handmade products. Each handmade product follows a process, but each is unique and is subject to greater control by the artist. Art should never be mass-produced.
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
22.04.2009 - 09:09
tulkas
el parcero
Written by Hrothdane on 22.04.2009 at 09:01

I didn't mean to say that the old movies were bad at all. They had a formula to them, but they weren't JUST a formula. Its like the difference between a mass-produced products and handmade products. Each handmade product follows a process, but each is unique and is subject to greater control by the artist. Art should never be mass-produced.

art should nver be mass-produced, but understanding art here as one particular and unique piece, like a specific painting from a specific artist. because otherwise, everytime a band produced an album they shouldn't make more than one copy; if someone writes a book, there should only be the original copy, know what i mean? or did i not understand what you mean? which i very likely, btw
----
23.04.2009 - 05:32
Symmachus

Written by Symmachus on 22.04.2009 at 06:12

1. Take old story.
3. Add happy ending.
5. Add musical numbers.
7. ?
8. PROFIT!

I agree totally.
11.05.2009 - 22:24
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
I agree with the list (Hell yeah to Queen as well!)

Pop stopped being art a while ago when they found it could be a tool for making money by making something for "everyone"(to pay for). The way most pop has been going is narrow it down to one person (N'sync to Justin Timberlake, Jackson 5 to Michael, Whoever Beyonce was in to Beyonce) based on marketability and then blow it up needlessly with air play.

Personal responce to the title of the thread:
COUNTRY AND RAP ARE UTTERLY TERRIBLE!!!!!!
SPANISH MAINSTREAM IS BYY FAR THE WORST!!!!!!!!!!

Rap lacks anything on a general level that stays outside of the main factors. Those being :Wealth gain, "what I had sex with & how I had sex with it", "life was crap and now I have all this stuff" & "I party". It hasn't actually been able to tell a story or really break it's deal of having dew or different programming for the background music in a while.
Due to rap we have such things as "Hip Hop"

Country... Well aside from it selling itself out over time. The entire scene has some musicianship but since it revolves around the story of the singer (most of which aren't very good) and the music really doesn't change much in form it got sad. Since country also seems to be portraying some sense of "all america" falsely that just covers one poprtion of the whole country, nothing's comming out of there.
Due to Country in part we have "Christian music" & "Gospel"

Spanish pop.....
Wow, talk about recycling the same "horse clip clop" beat for years... Fast or slow, it was the same damn sound over and over. "Why change it?" (It's like writingrthe same song over and over again for 6yrs, it's a "brilliant idead"!!!!) It's like they have one guy making all of the background music(who clearly has some kind of brain damage) who played around with an advanced options casio keyboard from the 80's and in doing so managed to create an entire sound that does not differ from itself at all. It hurts... it just hurts....

Allof these have one thing in common... They all are there to sell an image.
----
12.05.2009 - 03:32
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
The compilation series "NOW thats what i call music". if you've never heard of this consecutive compilation abortion, you're lucky. it catalogs all the awful music plaguing the american pop charts. picture all the music that comes out of america every year, all in one place. that series has to be on the list of everyones reasons to hate america.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
12.05.2009 - 05:54
Aspiring Nobody
Account deleted
Modern pop. IT's so terrible and banal on so many levels, I have nothing to add.

Country is repetitive, but at least some of the alt stuff feels honest.

hip-hop used to be quite good, but all these stupid ass(i've got the bling, the bitches,..." artists are killing the genre. Soulja Boy is even worst. He doesn't even write vcomplete lyrics.
15.05.2009 - 09:41
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
I have to mention that I hate Power Metal too! yes I hate it as Rap! hehe
15.05.2009 - 10:20
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
I'll talk only about metal genres i despise, or at least don't like listening to them.

The main, is FOLK metal. the melodies on it sound ridiculus in my ears and i find it uniteresting and boring..

Industrial, Stoner and most Proggressive stuff are also out of my preferences....
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
15.05.2009 - 11:43
Rattlehead.cz
I hate all the commercial shits, which are played on radios and TVs - stupid pop, rap, hip hop etc.
15.05.2009 - 12:19
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Ph0eNiX on 11.05.2009 at 22:24

Personal responce to the title of the thread:
COUNTRY AND RAP ARE UTTERLY TERRIBLE!!!!!!
SPANISH MAINSTREAM IS BYY FAR THE WORST!!!!!!!!!!

Country... Well aside from it selling itself out over time. The entire scene has some musicianship but since it revolves around the story of the singer (most of which aren't very good) and the music really doesn't change much in form it got sad. Since country also seems to be portraying some sense of "all america" falsely that just covers one poprtion of the whole country, nothing's comming out of there.
Due to Country in part we have "Christian music" & "Gospel"

I'll give you the same answer I give everyone else: Like almost any genre of music, its usually the poppy stuff that sucks the most. Some of the more...folky type rougher stuff is really great, the stuff thats not extremely polished over. I recommend David Allen Coe's "Penitentiary Blues", its surprisingly good.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
15.05.2009 - 18:59
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
No, like I meant the current form of country on "country". I'm familiar with david allen coe. I agree it's some well rounded stuff (although it never became anything I'd pick up and listen to regularly.) Forgive my lack of clarity there. Like the old end, blue grass and stuff like that did make sense. The pop country was bad. Although I do still blame country for gospel and christian music.
----
15.05.2009 - 22:24
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Ph0eNiX on 15.05.2009 at 18:59

No, like I meant the current form of country on "country". I'm familiar with david allen coe. I agree it's some well rounded stuff (although it never became anything I'd pick up and listen to regularly.) Forgive my lack of clarity there. Like the old end, blue grass and stuff like that did make sense. The pop country was bad. Although I do still blame country for gospel and christian music.

I could be wrong but I think its the other way around. This seems like the type of thing I can trust wikipedia on:

Quote:
Country music (or country and western) is a blend of popular musical forms originally found in the Southern United States and the Appalachian Mountains. It has roots in traditional folk music, Celtic music, gospel music, and old-time music and evolved rapidly in the 1920s.

I think the Christians have been making music long before the 1920's...
----
- George Carlin
15.05.2009 - 22:27
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
The current state of the evangelical end of it....
----
16.05.2009 - 06:26
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Doc G. on 15.05.2009 at 22:24

Dude, what are you talking about! Christians are allowed to listen to music let alone make it! Gosh, that is almost as bad as a Christian who watches TV or reads any book but the King James Bible (the ONLY Bible!!!).
----
(space for rent)
16.05.2009 - 07:23
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Dane Train on 16.05.2009 at 06:26

Written by Doc G. on 15.05.2009 at 22:24

Dude, what are you talking about! Christians are allowed to listen to music let alone make it! Gosh, that is almost as bad as a Christian who watches TV or reads any book but the King James Bible (the ONLY Bible!!!).

lol. Fucking mysterious bunch you Christians are.
----
- George Carlin
17.05.2009 - 20:37
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Doc G. on 16.05.2009 at 07:23

Sorry to say, sometimes when seeing how the word Christians is used it leaves an impression as if it were to signify something in the genre such as "sexual minorities"/"mentally handicapped"....

Western world has been a Christian society for few thousand years by now....it is so even if you yourself practice religion or not.....just as there are Muslim societies, Asian societies, Native peoples' societies etc....

The genre I dislike, however, to be honest, is the songs on certain radios such as "Jesus Jesus, come into my lovely life and save me here and now, oh rosebuds and angels!" or any songs on these radio stations where you switch it on and hear some bad quality singers howling "JEEEEEEEEEESUUUUUUSSSS!!!" or the TV stations where delirious African Americans jump around screaming "OOOH GOOOD! OOOOH GOOOOOD! THE HOLY SPIRIT IS HEEEERE!"

That I dislike because usually the style is poor and the performers usually belong to some dubious sects plus I dislike the parading around religion in such manner....however, there is very beautiful religious music that was written before and that is being written now, very beautiful....

I imagine when you said "Christian music" you were thinking of these radio stations "Christian family radio" and tv programmes in style "OH, JEEEEEEESSSUUUUUUUUS" in some synth pop/dance/country music form.....I agree...they ain't very good....

I'm religious myself....
17.05.2009 - 23:55
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Ernis on 17.05.2009 at 20:37

Written by Doc G. on 16.05.2009 at 07:23

Sorry to say, sometimes when seeing how the word Christians is used it leaves an impression as if it were to signify something in the genre such as "sexual minorities"/"mentally handicapped"....

Western world has been a Christian society for few thousand years by now....it is so even if you yourself practice religion or not.....just as there are Muslim societies, Asian societies, Native peoples' societies etc....

I suppose you didn't read the full conversation or else you would have realized that was a joke.
----
- George Carlin
18.05.2009 - 00:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

Western world has been a Christian society for few thousand years by now....

Wow, that's news to me
Especially considering we are currently in 2009 a.d.
A few thousand at least implies 2000 years, but Christianity of course only started AFTER CHrist's death and not even in so-caleld Western society back then.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.05.2009 - 00:10
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.05.2009 at 00:04

Wow, that's news to me
A few thousand at least implies 2000 years, but Christianity of course only started AFTER CHrist's death and not even in so-caleld Western society back then.

I thought Jesus was born in Texas.
----
(space for rent)
18.05.2009 - 00:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Dane Train on 18.05.2009 at 00:10

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.05.2009 at 00:04

Wow, that's news to me

I thought Jesus was born in Texas.

Nah, but I know it's easy to confuse Palestine with texas though
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.05.2009 - 00:19
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.05.2009 at 00:13

That is for sure. Both are barren waste lands filled with religious fundamentalists who love guns.
----
(space for rent)
18.05.2009 - 02:20
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Dane Train on 18.05.2009 at 00:19

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.05.2009 at 00:13

That is for sure. Both are barren waste lands filled with religious fundamentalists who love guns.

texas has better barbecue though.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!