Metal Storm logo
Helstar

Original post

Posted by Hellish Star, 12.08.2006 - 15:31
Well, no topic about Helstar so here we go...

This band is active since the early eighties and they released several brilliant albums like "Burning Star", "Remnants of war", "Distant Thunder" and "Nosferatu".

They play typical US power / thrash metal and they sound very progressive.You can even consdider them as the godfathers of this genre... James Rivera is the singer of the band and he has an outstanding voice, one of the best in the metal scène. Other bands he was a member of are Seven Witches, Destiny's End, Killing Machine, Vicious Rumors...

They were disbanded for many years but are active again and will release a new album. James Rivera will enter the studio with Helstar after his work with Vicious Rumors.

This band is far underrated and deserves much more respect.

Check them at www.helstar.com and if you like them, well try the topic about US metal because there's so much more out there.....
30.11.2007 - 10:44
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Added it to their disco a couple of days ago...might have to check it out...you seems pretty enthusiastic about this band
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
01.12.2007 - 18:08
Hellish Star
Written by GT on 30.11.2007 at 10:44

Added it to their disco a couple of days ago...might have to check it out...you seems pretty enthusiastic about this band

I'm a fan since 1984!

This band brings the best of neo classical metal, progressive metal, thrash metal, heavy metal and they add their typical sound and elements.

Shredding guitars, incredible drums, outstanding bass guitars and mind-blowing vocals. What do you need more?

The "old" re-recorded songs are much heavier than before... it sounds great...

Also the new songs are awesome, in vein of the music on the albums "Remnants of war" and "Nosferatu", my favorite Helstar albums....
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
02.12.2007 - 05:43
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I need to start looking at the melodic metal forum more often because I had no idea about Sins of the Past. I just listened to the re-recorded version of Baptized in Blood and I love it. Need to buy...
02.12.2007 - 16:10
Hellish Star
Written by Dangerboner on 02.12.2007 at 05:43

I need to start looking at the melodic metal forum more often because I had no idea about Sins of the Past. I just listened to the re-recorded version of Baptized in Blood and I love it. Need to buy...

Awesome

...and spread the words about it! This band deserves so much more respect!
----

04.12.2007 - 13:55
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Been listening to some of their stuff now...some of it is really good, but some of it is a little too boring. My two favourite songs are 'Black Silhouette Skies' and 'Harker's Tale (Mass Of Death)'
----

04.12.2007 - 18:47
Hellish Star
Written by GT on 04.12.2007 at 13:55

Been listening to some of their stuff now...some of it is really good, but some of it is a little too boring. My two favourite songs are 'Black Silhouette Skies' and 'Harker's Tale (Mass Of Death)'

Try "sins of the past".... I'm sure you'll like it....
----

04.12.2007 - 18:50
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
@Hellish Star: Thanks...I will check it out
----

04.12.2007 - 21:04
Hellish Star
Written by GT on 04.12.2007 at 18:50

@Hellish Star: Thanks...I will check it out

Some reviews:

1. METAL TEMPLE
Well, this album should be rated with 11 on a 10 scale. Nuff said? No, it's not enough. Times have changed and - even if few 'new' bands have the dynamics of HELSTAR (in their halcyon days) - I feel it as essential to pinpoint the supremacy of this US Metal band. I used to yell at such (re)releases years ago, but viewing the 'era gap' between old and new metalheads I cannot sit out but applause the "Sins Of The Past" test drive. By all means, the anticipated 'normal' studio album by this legendary name (really, expected...when?) will be the judge. "Sins Of The Past" can, as well, act the teaser, to inform and to remind.

In their 80s career this Houston, TX, USA quintet released a foursome of beyond-classic albums: "Burning Star" (1984), "Remnants Of War" (1986), "A Distant Thunder" (1988) and "Nosferatu" (1989). Needless to say, if you claim you like 80s American Metal and don't own all these albums then you can as well proceed to the new NIGHTWISH album review. The astonishing vocals of James Rivera, the 'beyond belief' guitars of Larry Barragan (with Tom Rogers, Robert Trevino or Andre Corbin) and the (any lineup) demonic rhythm section highlighted HELSTAR's powerful approach to the legacy of IRON MAIDEN, JUDAS PRIEST, BLACK SABBATH in the US Power/Epic Metal formula of those days.

Not to neglect the quintet's fifth studio release, 1995's "Multiples Of Black", it is obvious those first four albums are sculptured in the Metal book, no questions asked. So, using today's technology, the band - featuring Rivera, Barragan, Trevino and Abarca, meaning 80% of the "Remnants Of War" lineup! - proceeds to the re-recording of 11 songs of those days. Well, my only moan being the absence of the "Run With The Pack" eternal hymn, I was initially afraid the 'new era' machinery would disgrace the originals' magic in benefit of some attract-the-juveniles sound. Thankfully, nothing bad this way comes and...the HELSTAR glory is again unveiled in its entirety. Rivera's voice (as widely checked the last years through his DESTINY'S END/VICIOUS RUMORS/NEW EDEN/SEVEN WITCHES/FLOTSAM & JETSAM/KILLING MACHINE deeds - phew...) is as the good ol' wine. Nothing less. The rest of the players are in top notch form as well, plus the vibe is present and crystal clear (as the production itself).

And the story never ends. Two brand new songs are included in this kinda 'best of' compilation. "Tormentor" features a frenzy double-bass groove, with Rivera singing in his familiar 'epic' style, reminding me of the "A Distant Thunder"/"Nosferatu" days. "Caress Of The Dead" is even wilder, in an archetypal up-tempo vibe, featuring a kick-ass guitar riff work; shit, I love this band and I really really really hope the new album will be worth the wait.

Not many bands from that era are widely heard in our days. You think MANOWAR and SAVATAGE are the defenders of the 80s US Metal cult? Well, in this case you've never occupied yourself with the ascendancy of HELSTAR: a band that shows how 100% Metal music is performed form the soul. If you have money for all four albums, grab 'em fast and enjoy them in chronological order. You'll configure what 'evolution is not a sellout' means in Metal terms. Else, "Sins Of The Past" is an excellent way to learn some thing 'bout one of the undying prides of Metal music. That simple.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2.METAL TO INFINITY
Yes!!!! Helstar is back! How I was happy like a little kid when James Rivera told me Helstar would replace the studio and the stages. 'The magic will return' he said and this sentence made me believe the kings of US Power Metal will show the Metal scene one thing, how disgraceful they were treated in the past as they deserved so much more respect.

With ''Sins Of The Past'' you should not expect a new album, the release of the entire newbie is scheduled for next summer, I can't hardly wait. On this album James and friends re-recorded some classic Helstar songs but they've added more power, a more modern sound (sometimes with grunts as backing vocals) and more heaviness. 'Angel Of Death', 'Baptized In Blood', 'The King Is Dead', 'Suicidal Nightmare'... in a super heavy version; what do you need more to break your neck?

This concept works perfect as I keep on listening to the album. A metamorphose is made for songs like 'Burning Star' and 'Dracula's Castle', as good and thrilling the originals were...this sounds breathtaking! The other songs are from the same (highest) level as the previous recordings and never seem to have lost their enchantment. I still hear shredding guitars, tremendous bass guitars, incredible drums and of course first class vocals, James is God! At first I was afraid for the re-recordings, but after a few listens I became addicted to this CD as the production is so heavy (so thrashy!). Helstar didn't lose their overwhelming effect on me and makes me hope their future is bright!

Helstar added two new songs on the disc and I can assure you it sounds very promising for the upcoming album. In vein of ''Remnants Of War'' and ''Nosferatu'' you can expect mind blowing vocals and pure Metal in all its beauty. James still knows how US Metal should sound!

Helstar will come to Europe for some festivals and I can't wait to see them on stage again. I hope they will come to Belgium, it has been more than 20 years ago they hit our ground as support act from Yngwie Malmsteen. Musical wise Helstar was one of the best bands in the eighties, now they're back they will remain this status. Be ashamed if you don't know Helstar, but believe me that if you're into True Heavy Metal, Neo-Classical Metal, Progressive Metal, Thrash Metal, shredding guitars and extraordinary vocals... it will take only a few seconds to convince you.

The US Power Metal gods are back, Helstar is their name! My points: 100/100 (review by Officer Nice)
----

05.12.2007 - 21:29
madgarry
Account deleted
Rumour has it they are releasing a brand new studio album in 2008
07.12.2007 - 01:01
mankvill
afkjas I love Helstar. One of the first metal bands I had ever heard.
07.12.2007 - 15:13
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Just listened to "Sins Of The Past"...damn that's a killer album!
----

07.12.2007 - 19:37
Hellish Star
Written by GT on 07.12.2007 at 15:13

----

25.01.2008 - 07:10
deadset61
Account deleted
Listening to Remnants of War right now I'm really not sure what i think about them i guess they are cool
27.02.2008 - 18:52
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Hellish Star on 07.12.2007 at 19:37

Written by GT on 07.12.2007 at 15:13

It arrived in the mail today and it's going right in the player.
----

28.02.2008 - 06:42
Daniel
Helstar are a killer band!

They are gods among gods!

Fantastic true metal/Old school thrash.
----
In The Cold Winds of Nowhere
23.08.2008 - 05:26
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Okay, I've just listened to "Sins Of the Past" for the first 2 times today! Honestly, I don't think I've ever sat down and listened to Helstar before, but I really like this re-recording a lot. I just got it as a promo for my metal show in the past month, so yes obviously this CD has been out for awhile, but at least someone is promoting them now Looking forward to hearing the new material, though in usual US fashion I probably won't get that release until 2009 either :
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
25.08.2008 - 20:40
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
New samples from the album are on the band's myspace! And yes, they sound great "Pain will be thy name" is just killer!
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
12.09.2008 - 12:26
Hellish Star
I'm listening to the new album (promo). What an album!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This must be (my) album of the year!

HELSTAR STILL RULES !!!!!!
----

12.09.2008 - 17:33
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
I guess it's a must have when it's released...I still really enjoy "Sin Of The Past"
----

16.09.2008 - 17:56
Hellish Star
----

17.09.2008 - 16:50
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
That's an awesome cover
----

17.09.2008 - 20:28
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by GT on 17.09.2008 at 16:50

That's an awesome cover

Yes it is, one I wish I could get in vinyl format just to show it off I am almost ready to import the album considering the US release is a full 3 months later!
----
18.09.2008 - 15:25
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Jason W. on 17.09.2008 at 20:28

Written by GT on 17.09.2008 at 16:50

That's an awesome cover

Yes it is, one I wish I could get in vinyl format just to show it off I am almost ready to import the album considering the US release is a full 3 months later!

Yeah that could be pretty cool to have it standing on a shelf as LP. Three months later?! That's a long time to wait
----

19.09.2008 - 05:30
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
i found a fairly unimpressive cover of "Beyond the Realms of Death" that Helstar did for some no name Priest tribute album recently. at least it was advertised as Helstar but as to whether its actually them or not, i dont know.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
30.09.2008 - 23:07
Hellish Star
No doubts; this is still "the ultimate metal album of 2008"

An interviw with James Rivera: http://internetradio.vrt.be/radiospeler/v2_prod/wmp.html?qsbrand=41&qsODfile=/internetradio_master/productiesysteem2/programma_od/41_od_080910_helstar.xml
----

01.10.2008 - 02:15
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by Hellish Star on 30.09.2008 at 23:07

An interviw with James Rivera: http://internetradio.vrt.be/radiospeler/v2_prod/wmp.html?qsbrand=41&qsODfile=/internetradio_master/productiesysteem2/programma_od/41_od_080910_helstar.xml

Thanks for the interview link Too bad they couldn't enjoy a European Christmas holiday, but I'm sure you won't mind the wait of an extra month or so.

And also I had no interest in waiting until the US January '09 release date, so I've ordered the new CD from Napalm Records online shop (with other items of course!)... and it is supposed to be a 2 CD set with Sins of the Past as a bonus CD
----
01.10.2008 - 11:09
Hellish Star
Written by Jason W. on 01.10.2008 at 02:15

Written by Hellish Star on 30.09.2008 at 23:07

Thanks for the interview link Too bad they couldn't enjoy a European Christmas holiday, but I'm sure you won't mind the wait of an extra month or so.

And also I had no interest in waiting until the US January '09 release date, so I've ordered the new CD from Napalm Records online shop (with other items of course!)... and it is supposed to be a 2 CD set with Sins of the Past as a bonus CD

In Europe the double Cd wasn't available; only the cd with three bonus tracks
----

01.10.2008 - 11:12
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by Hellish Star on 01.10.2008 at 11:09

Hmmm... perhaps it is just a special that the mailorder was having, and it just includes the Sins of the Past disc as a free bonus then...? I guess I will find out in a week or so
----
01.10.2008 - 16:31
Hellish Star
Written by Jason W. on 01.10.2008 at 11:12

Hmmm... perhaps it is just a special that the mailorder was having, and it just includes the Sins of the Past disc as a free bonus then...? I guess I will find out in a week or so

Nevertheless; enjoy these uppergods of metal!
----

06.10.2008 - 08:57
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by Hellish Star on 01.10.2008 at 16:31

Written by Jason W. on 01.10.2008 at 11:12

Nevertheless; enjoy these uppergods of metal!

And I'm definitely enjoying it! And yes you were right about the release - and my idea that it was a special Napalm must be running, because I received the European version of the new CD with the Sins of the Past CD as well in a plastic sleeve! Definitely worth the import price, considering the 2 CDs!

"Pain will be thy Nammmmme!"
----