Metal Storm logo
Metallica & Lou Reed - Lulu Streaming Online In Its Entirety

Lulu, the new album from musical collaboration between Metallica & Lou Reed, is now available for streaming at this location. The song "The View" was previously released and you can listen to it here. Lulu is set to be released on October 31st everywhere else except for North America, where it will be released on November 1st. More album details were previously reported here and here.

Source: loureedmetallica.com
Band profile: Metallica
Posted: 20.10.2011 by Nergal

Comments page 2 / 4

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 107   Visited by: 505 users
20.10.2011 - 18:49
nb
Lou reed's singing is the most boring thing I have ever heard. And the Metallica in the background is very monotonous and uninteresting.

I tried, but could not stand any of the songs in their entirety. I have got better things to listen to.
20.10.2011 - 19:05
HeadStone
Unnecessary..waste of time..ragged ..
20.10.2011 - 19:56
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
I kind of get what they were trying to do in a very abstract way. unfortunately this just seems AT BEST over pretentious. Weird lyrics with cliche anti-musical establishment ideas which seem just pulled out of someones ass rather than any attempt to be new or original. Some of the riffs COULD have been ok if more work was put into them. Seriously it sounds like James is pouring out his soul....for about 3 seconds...then records himself and has it on repeat for 5 minutes. I would not even just ask the obvious question of "Why have Metallica" but instead just ask "Why was this made?"
20.10.2011 - 20:28
Thrash666
Fuck.... This shit is horrible.
----
LONG LIVE THASH!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. "Dimebag" Darrell Abott
Drink a "blacktooth" for Dimebag
20.10.2011 - 20:37
quirin
I wish Metallica would just split before they sink any deeper than this.
20.10.2011 - 20:54
malaikat
Written by Unhealer on 20.10.2011 at 16:13

I'm currently giving it the 3rd listen and it got a little better.

I could stand a full listen if it weren't for Mistress Dread. Holy cow, what were they thinking?!
Little Dog is also a "burden" to the record, but I can deal with it.

Iced Honey, Frustration and Junior Dad are excellent songs on the other hand.
The rest of the songs are rather OK or good but butchered every moment Lou Reed vocals comes in (Pumping Blood would be specially great with Lou edited out of SOME sections, somebody call that "creative" Metallica fan who edited The View)

But yeah, I can't see how this is the best thing they've ever done, or how this will create a new galaxy, or how RS dare to call this a mix of Berlin and Master of Puppets.

The Unhealer is literally the only person in the internets (and this site) who likes this abomination. He's been defending it ever since The View was up on YT.

My hat is off to you, sir. You obviously have the auditory apparatus made out of steel and adamantium.
20.10.2011 - 21:25
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by malaikat on 20.10.2011 at 20:54

The Unhealer is literally the only person in the internets (and this site) who likes this abomination. He's been defending it ever since The View was up on YT.

My hat is off to you, sir. You obviously have the auditory apparatus made out of steel and adamantium.

LOL, guess I do

Nah, I have a friend who liked it so much he gave it an 8. I can't agree with that...
And I'm not defending it by any means, just sayin' why I like some of it. I totally undestand all the hate against this album.
20.10.2011 - 21:31
malaikat
Written by Unhealer on 20.10.2011 at 21:25

LOL, guess I do

Nah, I have a friend who liked it so much he gave it an 8. I can't agree with that...
And I'm not defending it by any means, just sayin' why I like some of it. I totally undestand all the hate against this album.

Your friend is an interesting person to say the least

Well, yes, LULU has some good moments, but they are just that: moments. Overall, album is badly written, lyrics are rubbish, Lars can't drum for sh*t, and Reed's vocals are more abysmal than any black metal vocal in history of black metal vocalling. If this wouldn't have the "Metallica/Lou Reed" stamp over it, the critics would destroy it. This way, Rolling Stone is probably going to call it "groundbraking" and "a new dimension of heavy metal".
Mark my words.
20.10.2011 - 21:40
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
I will not even check.
20.10.2011 - 21:43
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by malaikat on 20.10.2011 at 21:31

Your friend is an interesting person to say the least

Well, yes, LULU has some good moments, but they are just that: moments. Overall, album is badly written, lyrics are rubbish, Lars can't drum for sh*t, and Reed's vocals are more abysmal than any black metal vocal in history of black metal vocalling. If this wouldn't have the "Metallica/Lou Reed" stamp over it, the critics would destroy it. This way, Rolling Stone is probably going to call it "groundbraking" and "a new dimension of heavy metal".
Mark my words.

Absolutely, RS praising a song like "Mistress Dread" is enough reason for not believing any review they write from now on
I bet whoever wrote that is crazy as shit or was being forced to do so with a gun pointed to its head.
20.10.2011 - 21:47
malaikat
Written by Unhealer on 20.10.2011 at 21:43

Absolutely, RS praising a song like "Mistress Dread" is enough reason for not believing any review they write from now on
I bet whoever wrote that is crazy as shit or was being forced to do so with a gun pointed to its head.

They have the review allready? Damn, I have to see that now *googles*
20.10.2011 - 21:55
malaikat
Ok, I have to quote this nonsense. So, here we go, Rolling Stone's article "When Metallica met Lou Reed":

Concerning the The View:
Reed is going over Hetfield's background part in "The View," a howling response to the cold-blooded obsession in Reed's chantlike singing. Hetfield returns the New York rocker's steely gaze with his own thoughtful intensity. "Lou says, 'You gotta mean it,'" Hetfield reflects later, during a meal break. "Give me a clue. What do you want me to mean? And these lines don't rhyme. There's five syllables in this, two in there." Hetfield then notes that he and Reed, who virtually invented avant-rock in the Sixties with the Velvet Underground, have a lot in common, "in that we are aliens on this planet. 'Nobody is listening. I don't fit in.' It's unbelievable to hear his voice reciting these lyrics. You're captured, man."

"The new doom in metal":
The result - like the blinding propulsion of "Mistress Dread" and the violent swerves in crunch and rhythm in "Pumping Blood" - is a new kind of doom in metal, a brutal realism propelled by arena brawn. Reed listens to a playback with no expression on his face until the last power chord. "I feel refreshed by this," he says with a grin. "It was awfully good."

"We have metal in our name":
Co-produced by Reed, Metallica, engineer Greg Fidelman and Reed's longtime collaborator Hal Willner, Lulu "is almost like two languages," Ulrich says. "We have m-e-t-a-l in our name. But we can go fucking anywhere and do anything."

Junior Dad:
Hammett, whose father died in April, remembers when Reed recorded his vocal for Lulu's closing elegy, "Junior Dad." "I was on the verge of tears," the guitarist says. "I couldn't stay in the room. Ten seconds later, James comes into the kitchen, sobbing. Lou took down the guitar players in Metallica in one fell swoop. After that, anything Lou wanted, he had me. I'd play it."

The forthcoming:
And Lulu has already had an effect on the writing for Metallica's next album. Instead of starting with riffs, "James is talking about bringing lyrics in first," Ulrich says. "What happens if the music is inspired by that?"

A finger in the eye of the fans, by Lars:
Ulrich describes listening to the album on a late-night car ride. "I was overwhelmed," he confesses. "I also felt, 'This is really unique.'" How unique? He laughs. "This makes... And Justice for All sound like the first Ramones album."

Sorry for the length, I had to do this.
20.10.2011 - 22:25
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by malaikat on 20.10.2011 at 21:31
Reed's vocals are more abysmal than any black metal vocal in history of black metal vocalling.

Please don't insult black metal by comparing it with this shit.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.10.2011 - 22:26
malaikat
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.10.2011 at 22:25

Please don't insult black metal by comparing it with this shit.

Reed is more kvlt than Attila. HATERS GONNA HATE
20.10.2011 - 22:29
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
"The forthcoming:
And Lulu has already had an effect on the writing for Metallica's next album. Instead of starting with riffs, "James is talking about bringing lyrics in first," Ulrich says. "What happens if the music is inspired by that?"
If I were a Metallica fan, I'd be like:
But I'm kinda like :
----
7.0 means the album is good
20.10.2011 - 22:30
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by malaikat on 20.10.2011 at 22:26
Reed is more kvlt than Attila. HATERS GONNA HATE

Okay I'll give you that.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.10.2011 - 22:37
animal
Just when we thought that Metallica couldn't possibly sink any lower....
----
"I got 1,000 years of power! Come and get me!" Robert McLain- Royal Oak, MI
20.10.2011 - 22:40
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Doc G. on 20.10.2011 at 17:52
Regardless of what they call it, it's still crap.

Nicely done.
----
20.10.2011 - 22:54
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Cyroth on 20.10.2011 at 13:17
The biggest mistake they made was releasing another album.

Fixed.
----
20.10.2011 - 22:59
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by animal on 20.10.2011 at 22:37
Just when we thought that Metallica couldn't possibly sink any lower....

I for one did not think that.

However, I also didn't think they could sink this low.
----
20.10.2011 - 23:40
Cyroth
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.10.2011 at 22:54

Written by Cyroth on 20.10.2011 at 13:17
The biggest mistake they made was releasing another album.

Fixed.

lol Troy, I'm thinking, if i listen to it like 2-3 more times, is it gonna go really downhill, because I found it like a 6,3 after one listen(and not really liking the idea to hear it again)...also 1 hour and 27 minutes?!WTF
----
20.10.2011 - 23:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Cyroth on 20.10.2011 at 23:40
if i listen to it like 2-3 more times

I'm just gonna stop you right there, for the sake of your health, and tell you straight-up - not warn you, TELL you - NOT to listen again.

Nobody else can be held responsible for what will happen if you choose to ignore my order.
----
20.10.2011 - 23:49
Cyroth
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.10.2011 at 23:43

Written by Cyroth on 20.10.2011 at 23:40
if i listen to it like 2-3 more times

I'm just gonna stop you right there, for the sake of your health, and tell you straight-up - not warn you, TELL you - NOT to listen again.

Nobody else can be held responsible for what will happen if you choose to ignore my order.

loool, i laugh in the face of danger (in this case crap?!) for I AM A TABLE...no...not just a table, I AM THE TABLE
----
21.10.2011 - 00:32
Void Eater
Account deleted
SMAAALLL TOOOOWN GIRRRRLLLLLAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
21.10.2011 - 03:17
Mehdi Taba
Mehdi Taba

----
Stop seeing things and people in a binary way. Everything has its own spectrum and complexity. Be patient and learn about the world.
21.10.2011 - 04:11
Elodie Artour
Slania
Okay... This is just... too much... of a failure.
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
21.10.2011 - 04:43
CHEF METALHEAD
KEEP IT METAL
Fucking sucks....
----
Chef Metal Head
21.10.2011 - 05:37
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by CHEF METALHEAD on 21.10.2011 at 04:43
Fucking sucks....

Fucking.
----
21.10.2011 - 05:51
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
SPOILER!

It sucks...

Why, oh why?
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
21.10.2011 - 05:53
dougver1
Even QUEENSRYCHE are probably laughing at how horrid this is.

Why, why, why, why WHY does this exist?!

Hits total: 8346 | This month: 8