Metal Storm logo
Pioneers Of Power Metal

Original post

Posted by Lord TJ, 01.11.2007 - 19:59
Im doing a senior project on metal, can somebody help me out and tell me who the pioneers of power metal are? Thanks!
26.12.2007 - 00:57
VPeter
srill they inspired the first wave of power metal bands from Germany.
26.12.2007 - 14:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by VPeter on 25.12.2007 at 18:33

Written by Bad English on 25.12.2007 at 10:03

Written by VPeter on 25.12.2007 at 01:57

Acept has some power metal touches to it and with Inspired I don't mean that Acept are power metal, Mercyfull fate had a big impact on black metal alltough they just played heavy metal but with a darker touch.

Where thay are power metal touches in what album?, what song?

early albums, but they are minimal

ture, but on those early albums Accept were almost just a German version of Judas Priest with some AC/DC influences.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.12.2007 - 14:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.12.2007 at 14:18

[ture, but on those early albums Accept were almost just a German version of Judas Priest with some AC/DC influences.

But new UDO album, isnt it Kind Diamond coppy(visualy) and Wrong side Of Midnight, isnt it Crimson Glory Cover?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.12.2007 - 07:44
selken
Irreligious
I compare Helloween and Stratovarius with Maiden and Priest.
Priest wast the first gear in the engine of metal and Maiden was the second speed of the car.
The same goes for Helloween, the clean voice, the melodic solos and riffs, the harmonic interludes, the uplifting sound and the choruses sung by all the band is clearly brought by helloween (and Gamma Ray), they were like the first wave. (BTW has anyone recognized the waves of power, like the waves of black or thrash?)

Stratovarius, then took the genre to another level, while keeping all those elements, they added a more serious approach to the songwriting, neoclassical sound (the harpsichord that now we hear in almost every power band) the strings with the keyboard (a major contribution for the symphonic power) and the electronic synth (that one that we hear constantly also).

Another early influence is maybe Angra, another band that brought to power a new sound, their 1993 album Angel's Cry, can easily fit as a 2007 album, with its symphonic context, some necolassical melodies and a slight progressive sound.

Like or not, Children Of Bodom are another pionneer of power, nobody tried before what these dudes did: growls, their first two albums took all the elements mentioned before, and again, were taken to another level, although they are now very far from the true power, they influenced bands like Kalmah, Norther, Wintersun and maybe Ensiferum
----
27.12.2007 - 19:42
Ascalon
Written by selken on 27.12.2007 at 07:44

I compare Helloween and Stratovarius with Maiden and Priest.
Priest wast the first gear in the engine of metal and Maiden was the second speed of the car.
The same goes for Helloween, the clean voice, the melodic solos and riffs, the harmonic interludes, the uplifting sound and the choruses sung by all the band is clearly brought by helloween (and Gamma Ray), they were like the first wave. (BTW has anyone recognized the waves of power, like the waves of black or thrash?)

Stratovarius, then took the genre to another level, while keeping all those elements, they added a more serious approach to the songwriting, neoclassical sound (the harpsichord that now we hear in almost every power band) the strings with the keyboard (a major contribution for the symphonic power) and the electronic synth (that one that we hear constantly also).

Another early influence is maybe Angra, another band that brought to power a new sound, their 1993 album Angel's Cry, can easily fit as a 2007 album, with its symphonic context, some necolassical melodies and a slight progressive sound.

Like or not, Children Of Bodom are another pionneer of power, nobody tried before what these dudes did: growls, their first two albums took all the elements mentioned before, and again, were taken to another level, although they are now very far from the true power, they influenced bands like Kalmah, Norther, Wintersun and maybe Ensiferum

Maybe it's a correct way to see it, but if you listen the early albmus of Stratovarius you will not find a classic power metal sound ... listen to "Fright Night" .. some songs like "False Messiah" ... in despite of that .. I agree in Angra influences .. and you don't have to forget US power metal scene in the 80's ... aand about Children of Bodom ... nothing to aggregate ...
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)
27.12.2007 - 20:29
selken
Irreligious
Written by Ascalon on 27.12.2007 at 19:42

Maybe it's a correct way to see it, but if you listen the early albmus of Stratovarius you will not find a classic power metal sound ... listen to "Fright Night" .. some songs like "False Messiah" ... in despite of that .. I agree in Angra influences .. and you don't have to forget US power metal scene in the 80's ... aand about Children of Bodom ... nothing to aggregate ...

Of course Strato didn't sound like the modern power in those albums, but they made themselves into what now is the modern sound. You can clearly notice the start of that trait in the album Dreamspace, most notably in the songs Hold on to your Dream, Dreamspace and Chasing Shadows.
----
27.12.2007 - 20:51
Ascalon
Written by selken on 27.12.2007 at 20:29

Of course Strato didn't sound like the modern power in those albums, but they made themselves into what now is the modern sound. You can clearly notice the start of that trait in the album Dreamspace, most notably in the songs Hold on to your Dream, Dreamspace and Chasing Shadows.

That's true, bu that album it's like the processs, their first classic power metal album it's definitely Fourth Dimension (1995), in my modest opinion... just listen the excellent song ... "We Hold The Key" ... that's the sound of Stratovarius ... till Stratovarius (2005) that they change a little bit .. in a bad way I think
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)
01.01.2008 - 23:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ascalon on 27.12.2007 at 20:51

Written by selken on 27.12.2007 at 20:29

That's true, bu that album it's like the processs, their first classic power metal album it's definitely Fourth Dimension (1995), in my modest opinion... just listen the excellent song ... "We Hold The Key" ... that's the sound of Stratovarius ... till Stratovarius (2005) that they change a little bit .. in a bad way I think

Start has cnaged 2 times firts after Dreamspace and next album wa swhit Timo on vocals, it was quate good, but than thay became boring, but last album are lil dieferent, I hear it once but it was diferent
----

apos;'
[image]
18.06.2008 - 17:35
floydiac
In the European power scene, Helloween started to morph speed metal into power, Stratovarius took it to the next level with a neoclassical guitar solos and keyboards and Blind Guardian pioneered the "epic" sound present in a lot of power metal today.

At least, that's how I interpret it.
----
!WARNING! May talk shit !WARNING!
06.07.2008 - 02:32
thvnderforge
In my eyes i would have to say the pioneers of power metal are stratovarius, helloween, manowar, even though they aren't power metal,primal fear, Gamma ray, Blind guardian, Iced earth, Priest, Sacred Oath, Symphony X, and Yngwie Malmsteen.
06.07.2008 - 10:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by thvnderforge on 06.07.2008 at 02:32

In my eyes i would have to say the pioneers of power metal are stratovarius, helloween, manowar, even though they aren't power metal,primal fear, Gamma ray, Blind guardian, Iced earth, Priest, Sacred Oath, Symphony X, and Yngwie Malmsteen.

DO YOU know when bands started play AND how the fuck Strato can be pioniers because have you heard Fight Club album and how the fuck Primar Fear are pioniers that thay start in mid 90ties

Dont postif you dont know whnbe bands started and what thay dounded in early days and BLIND GUARDIAN WAS SPEEEEEEEEEEEEEED'
----

apos;'
[image]
06.07.2008 - 22:41
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@K7: Agreed. Symphony X? They aren't pioneers of power metal at all! I don't even think Judas Priest has anything to do with power metal either...What's the deal with the Fight Club album, K7?

Helloween, Grave Digger, Running Wild and Rage are your four cornerstone bands of power metal
06.07.2008 - 22:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=2084] on 06.07.2008 at 22:41

@K7: Agreed. Symphony X? They aren't pioneers of power metal at all! I don't even think Judas Priest has anything to do with power metal either...What's the deal with the Fight Club album, K7?

Helloween, Grave Digger, Running Wild and Rage are your four cornerstone bands of power metal

Stratovarius ''Fight Club'' I doubt those people who had hear Strato in elements or hunting low and hight days ever had hear ''Fight Club'' and how old school HM ok 80ties power it was

Grace digger isnt power its speed and heavy same whit RW and Rage but thay inspirated power metal much even power and thrash boren from speed metal, what a iorony
----

apos;'
[image]
06.07.2008 - 23:04
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@K7: So I guess we can agree to disagree that there were a lot of elements in the 80s that contributed to the pionering of power metal...and band that had speed and heavy elements with a power metal blueprint can be described as the pioners of modern day power metal because from what I can see, the history of power metal has a pretty messy beginning because of all the elements...but that can be said for any sub-genre of heavy metal...it's not really an irony...it's just open-ended...
06.07.2008 - 23:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=2084] on 06.07.2008 at 23:04

@K7: So I guess we can agree to disagree that there were a lot of elements in the 80s that contributed to the pionering of power metal...and band that had speed and heavy elements with a power metal blueprint can be described as the pioners of modern day power metal because from what I can see, the history of power metal has a pretty messy beginning because of all the elements...but that can be said for any sub-genre of heavy metal...it's not really an irony...it's just open-ended...

80ties power isnt like modern, modern are flower metal , I like almoust all 80ties power US Europian no metter what , but I dont like nowdays

Duscussing in this tread are just like discuss blues elements into Black metal
----

apos;'
[image]
07.07.2008 - 05:04
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@K7: Yeah...agreed again...power metal bands these days don't hold quite the agression as earlier power metal bands did...however, there are still some old school power metal bands that are keeping it real...
07.07.2008 - 12:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=2084] on 07.07.2008 at 05:04

@K7: Yeah...agreed again...power metal bands these days don't hold quite the agression as earlier power metal bands did...however, there are still some old school power metal bands that are keeping it real...

Yes try Black Abyiss from Germany and Salamandra from czceh, maybe thay are so cheepy but band has soemthing, some old moravian spirit into music, just like old good czech fary tail

IMO power metal nowdays are , all wanna make money and wanna be polite that parents alove kid go to show, no booze, no drugs, no sex like old days in thrash
----

apos;'
[image]
10.07.2008 - 02:29
Hrothdane
Written by Bad English on 07.07.2008 at 12:59

Written by [user id=2084] on 07.07.2008 at 05:04

Yes try Black Abyiss from Germany and Salamandra from czceh, maybe thay are so cheepy but band has soemthing, some old moravian spirit into music, just like old good czech fary tail

IMO power metal nowdays are , all wanna make money and wanna be polite that parents alove kid go to show, no booze, no drugs, no sex like old days in thrash

Maybe its just that some people don't want to listen to song after song about drinking, drugs, and mindless sex.

Who the hell gets into power metal expecting to get rich anyways...most people outside of metal heads don't even know the genre exists (at least in the US).
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
11.07.2008 - 08:20
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Hrothdane: Most people don't know that sub-genres exist in metal or take it too seriously outside of metal anyway...
11.07.2008 - 08:30
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Bad English on 06.07.2008 at 10:58

DO YOU know when bands started play AND how the fuck Strato can be pioniers because have you heard Fight Club album and how the fuck Primar Fear are pioniers that thay start in mid 90ties

Dont postif you dont know whnbe bands started and what thay dounded in early days and BLIND GUARDIAN WAS SPEEEEEEEEEEEEEED'

did you have fun flaming that poor 15 year old kid? I mean, I know that most of his statements were dead wrong, but couldn't you have been a little more polite about it?

And also, Blind Gaurdian WERE power metal, it's just that they had a strong thrash influence, so you can't label them as straight up speed. That would be more along the lines of Cacophony. But yes, I would say that BG was one of the Pioneers of the power world.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
11.07.2008 - 09:55
Valentin B
Iconoclast
well, manowar, running wild and grave digger are in my eyes(apart from the obligatory Helloween) the bands that innovated heavy metal and set the 'guidelines' for PM: fantasy and 'being metal' lyrics(Manowar), fast songs with lots of melody(RW) and of course balls(GD). Blind Guardian did it upside-down though, from Thrash to softer sounds, the turning point of their carreer being imo the album Imaginations From the Other Side, that's where they abandoned their dirty, fast sound from their first 3 albums for a more polished one(like on Nightfall).
11.07.2008 - 12:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Arian Totalis on 11.07.2008 at 08:30

did you have fun flaming that poor 15 year old kid? I mean, I know that most of his statements were dead wrong, but couldn't you have been a little more polite about it?

And also, Blind Gaurdian WERE power metal, it's just that they had a strong thrash influence, so you can't label them as straight up speed. That would be more along the lines of Cacophony. But yes, I would say that BG was one of the Pioneers of the power world.

Hhehehe yes just kiddin' and no thay were speed in firts 2 albums
----

apos;'
[image]
11.07.2008 - 18:57
FOOCK Nam
IMO the Iron Maiden's Seventh Son Of Seventh Son is very influencing to pioneerize the power metal.
11.07.2008 - 21:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by FOOCK Nam on 11.07.2008 at 18:57

IMO the Iron Maiden's Seventh Son Of Seventh Son is very influencing to pioneerize the power metal.

Iron Maiden inflience dmire bands how I domnt know what look how many fans tahy had, ewery flower band nowdays listemd IM
----

apos;'
[image]
12.07.2008 - 09:44
FOOCK Nam
Written by Bad English on 11.07.2008 at 21:24

Iron Maiden inflience dmire bands how I domnt know what look how many fans tahy had, ewery flower band nowdays listemd IM

I know Iron Maiden is a very important band to influence metal genres which include power metal, but well sadly I dont listen to them much. I love only songs Fear Of The Dark and Only The Good Die Young, and a song I dont know its name.
12.07.2008 - 12:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by FOOCK Nam on 12.07.2008 at 09:44

Written by Bad English on 11.07.2008 at 21:24

I know Iron Maiden is a very important band to influence metal genres which include power metal, but well sadly I dont listen to them much. I love only songs Fear Of The Dark and Only The Good Die Young, and a song I dont know its name.

Try all albums man thay are great
----

apos;'
[image]
14.07.2008 - 08:13
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Bad English on 11.07.2008 at 12:53

Written by Arian Totalis on 11.07.2008 at 08:30

Hhehehe yes just kiddin' and no thay were speed in firts 2 albums

Well, I don't know about Batalions of Fear, because, well, I'm ashamed to say that I haven't listened to it yet

But Follow the blind is Definitly a power offering. Like I said, there was a heavy thrash influence, but how could someone tell me that songs like "Battlefield" and "Valhalla" Aren't power metal with a straight face? I mean, it's power metal.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
14.07.2008 - 11:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Manm no it is not power because firts 2 is not power but speed if you say its power ytou even dont know what is power and nothing about speed
----

apos;'
[image]
14.07.2008 - 23:15
Gordon Freeman
Written by Bad English on 14.07.2008 at 11:08

Manm no it is not power because firts 2 is not power but speed if you say its power ytou even dont know what is power and nothing about speed

Power or speed, you can't deny the enormous influence Follow the Blind would have on later generations of power metal bands. Which is kind of the whole point of the thread. Not genre discussion/arguement.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
15.07.2008 - 00:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Gordon Freeman on 14.07.2008 at 23:15

Written by Bad English on 14.07.2008 at 11:08

Power or speed, you can't deny the enormous influence Follow the Blind would have on later generations of power metal bands. Which is kind of the whole point of the thread. Not genre discussion/arguement.

I did not say it did not influence but that is speed metal nor power, it even cant be 80tie spower
----

apos;'
[image]