Metal Storm logo
Ideas and suggestions

Original post

Posted by BitterCOld, 24.08.2011 - 20:00
Post yer ideas, thoughts, and suggestions for the website here. thanks.
28.01.2023 - 01:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Redel on 27.01.2023 at 09:05

I wasnt aware that this shift in the color scheme would take so much programming effort.

It might not; in fact it might be incredibly easy to implement (I can't speak to the degree of difficulty as programming is a language I don't speak) but it has more to do with fixing more pressing issues first and then discussing if this is even an issue worth worrying about.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
28.01.2023 - 08:06
Redel
Written by Troy Killjoy on 28.01.2023 at 01:05

it has more to do with fixing more pressing issues first and then discussing if this is even an issue worth worrying about.

So why not start discussing it now, with people who have time for discussion, while others are busy implementing more urgent issues?
18.02.2023 - 22:01
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Some random ideas that I've been harbouring for a while. Giving them a priority so it aligns with programming speak, but my opinions ofc!
0=necessary, 1=user experience, 2=nice-to-have

(0) Feedback mechanism for improper edits. As far as I know, if you perform an improper edit (and have the permission to submit without approval), a staff member subsequently editing your "mistake" will provide you no feedback. This is more for staff to keep control of the database: introduce a way to flag user edits and let them know how to do it next time.
(0) There are two ways to search for bands with a specific genre. Open the search page and manually select the filters or clicking on a genre tag on either a band's profile or an album page. If you do the latter, it doesn't actually apply the filter, it just uses it as a search string in the URL. The downside of this is that if you then do any subsequent filtering or sorting, that original search is not taken into account. I would consider this a bug.
(0) Add genre prefixes to the filters (also fixes the problem where the entire genre is a prefix and the existing filters don't have it, e.g. "djent").
(1) Remembered this now: where did the "preview" button go? You used to be able to previous your message (formatting, links, images, etc.) before sending.
(1) Ratings on the Wishlist page. I know it sounds contradictory to the purpose, but it would definitely add value.
(1) Auto-refresh of Shoutbox (more like a regular chat box).
(1) Updates page to have read/unread. If it's opened (clicked on) then it's "read" and no longer shows up (the page gets kinda bulky if you follow 1000 bands.
(2) Logo on top left (guy with the guitar) gets cut off on some pages.
(2) Typing in a semicolon will give you a list of emojis underneath (e.g. typing ":" will start to display the first 10, then ":l" will display the first 10 filtered by starting letter "l" like the "lol" one).
(2) If you use the Chrome URL bar to search MS (i.e. the equivalent of typing in https://metalstorm.net/bands/index.php?b_where=b.bandname&b_what=STRING-GOES-HERE) typing in band names that have either non-Latin alphabet characters or accented ones leads to no results (e.g. Skuggsjá). Searching using the top right works fine for this.
(2) Let anyone submit a band profile (e.g. they fill in all the details to the bare minimum and anyone with permissions can review and accept the request).
(2) Subscribe to genres - if a new band of that style is added, notify user.

Sorry for the wall and if these have been suggested before.
13.03.2023 - 12:02
nikarg
Staff
Written by LeKiwi on 18.02.2023 at 22:01

Some random ideas that I've been harbouring for a while. Giving them a priority so it aligns with programming speak, but my opinions ofc!
0=necessary, 1=user experience, 2=nice-to-have

These are all very interesting points, and we will be discussing them for sure. However, given the fact that corrupt's main priority right now is the site running without bugs since the latest update, it is going to take some time to implement new things. Thank you for the suggestions!
13.03.2023 - 20:44
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by nikarg on 13.03.2023 at 12:02

These are all very interesting points, and we will be discussing them for sure. However, given the fact that corrupt's main priority right now is the site running without bugs since the latest update, it is going to take some time to implement new things. Thank you for the suggestions!

No problem! If any of them need more detail let me know
13.03.2023 - 21:40
ColdRail
We could have an option to choose between Vinyl, CD, Cassete, whatever, in Collection Tab?
13.03.2023 - 22:19
nikarg
Staff
Written by ColdRail on 13.03.2023 at 21:40

We could have an option to choose between Vinyl, CD, Cassete, whatever, in Collection Tab?

Are you sure you cannot do that already?
16.03.2023 - 13:05
ColdRail
Written by nikarg on 13.03.2023 at 22:19

Written by ColdRail on 13.03.2023 at 21:40

Are you sure you cannot do that already?

Yeah you are right, Ive been using this website for many years and never found how to do it, its not very intuitive
08.04.2023 - 08:43
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
Hi. When a user adds an entry to their collection that isn't in the database, it appears in grey, with only the year and name. Can we make it so that the user can vote for it? it wouldn't count as a note on the global site, since the entry is outside the database, but the user would be able to see their ratings in the proper field, and would also be sensible to the 'sort by rating' filter
----
20.04.2023 - 15:21
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
It would be sweet if we could filter our ratings by genre.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
23.04.2023 - 16:35
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
Written by Boxcar Willy on 20.04.2023 at 15:21

It would be sweet if we could filter our ratings by genre.

I use url manipulation for this, you can and the tags you want (c_where=style & c_what=Style & sortby=rating). Sure it would be nice to have a shorter way
Exemple: https://metalstorm.net/users/collection.php?user_id=144159&wishlist=&c_where=style&c_what=Heavy&sortby=rating
----
06.05.2023 - 10:49
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
Hi. Could the page https://metalstorm.net/events/new_releases.php also display the genre of the release, instead of having to click on each entry to figure it out?
----
06.05.2023 - 12:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ansercanagicus on 06.05.2023 at 10:49

Hi. Could the page https://metalstorm.net/events/new_releases.php also display the genre of the release, instead of having to click on each entry to figure it out?

Good idea , and I also would suggest that separate window for bands what are listed as favs.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.05.2023 - 16:43
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
Written by Bad English on 06.05.2023 at 12:18

Good idea , and I also would suggest that separate window for bands what are listed as favs.

or a highlight and filter option
----
21.07.2023 - 00:52
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Had one more idea as I was perusing my updates page:
(1) Quickly unsubscribe from a band's future updates directly on the band's page rather than the current mechanism of: "Updates" -> "My Watched Bands" -> *select band* -> "Delete Selected". The process can be quite long if you have hundreds (thousands) of bands on that list and aren't familiar with keyboard shortcuts to quickly find bands. Also because that button is precariously close to "Delete All", not that I've had the bravery to see if there's a confirmation step after clicking it.
21.07.2023 - 09:18
nikarg
Staff
Written by LeKiwi on 21.07.2023 at 00:52

Also because that button is precariously close to "Delete All", not that I've had the bravery to see if there's a confirmation step after clicking it.

There is a confirmation step
Good suggestion, though
30.09.2023 - 13:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Is it possible to program that in upcoming albums section you can click on a box and see only upcoming albums from bands what is at your favorite list?
----

apos;'
[image]
12.10.2023 - 01:03
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
I'm just wondering about a secondary rating system. It would just account for the actual replayability of an album. It scales like this : "listened to : in bits - in full - several times - countless times"
----
12.10.2023 - 10:11
Redel
Written by Ansercanagicus on 12.10.2023 at 01:03

I'm just wondering about a secondary rating system. It would just account for the actual replayability of an album. It scales like this : "listened to : in bits - in full - several times - countless times"

Like what, information publicly visible for everyone or hidden and only to see for the users themselves so that you can keep track of your listening behaviour?
12.10.2023 - 13:15
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
Written by Redel on 12.10.2023 at 10:11

Like what, information publicly visible for everyone or hidden and only to see for the users themselves so that you can keep track of your listening behaviour?

For users to keep track will work nicely I think. Then it's also interesting if it's public data, to see that some albums are real classics and listened to countless times by many, some are totaly skimmed through, some may be well rated but in fact quickly forgotten... I don't know if it's really cogent.
----
12.10.2023 - 14:05
Redel
Written by Ansercanagicus on 12.10.2023 at 13:15

For users to keep track will work nicely I think. Then it's also interesting if it's public data, to see that some albums are real classics and listened to countless times by many, some are totaly skimmed through, some may be well rated but in fact quickly forgotten... I don't know if it's really cogent.

It would be nice to have for private use, I'd say, then again not really necessary. As public information it is difficult, I think. For one, you'd have to think about how to display the distribution of an ordinally scaled variable such that it doesnt overload the album page (there is no immediate average rate if the scale is not metric). Then, this information is predestined to only encourage the discussion about how many times one has to listen to an album to be able to leave a fair rating, and people might tend to cheat on this information, just saying "countless times" everywhere, in order to escape this discussion.
05.11.2023 - 10:04
mde017
It would be nice to be able to filter Upcoming releases similar to Bands/albums, not only by record type - which is already super useful, but as well by subgenre.
----
Okręt mój płynie dalej gdzieś tam
Serce choć popękane chce bić
Nie ma Cię i nie było jest noc
Nie ma mnie i nie było jest dzień
05.11.2023 - 12:47
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Staff
Written by mde017 on 05.11.2023 at 10:04

It would be nice to be able to filter Upcoming releases similar to Bands/albums, not only by record type - which is already super useful, but as well by subgenre.

That's a good suggestion, we'll put it on the list. Thank you!
----
signatures = SPAM
06.11.2023 - 09:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Starvynth on 05.11.2023 at 12:47

Written by mde017 on 05.11.2023 at 10:04

That's a good suggestion, we'll put it on the list. Thank you!

Mine was cool to

Quote:
Is it possible to program that in upcoming albums section you can click on a box and see only upcoming albums from bands what is at your favorite list?
----

apos;'
[image]
06.11.2023 - 22:18
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Staff
Written by Bad English on 06.11.2023 at 09:50

Mine was cool to

Quote:

Nope.
Your list of favorite bands is more than three times as long as the Declaration of Independence. You wouldn't even notice a difference if you could filter upcoming releases. The filtered result would be virtually identical, because even Manowar is in your list of favorites.

In other words: you'll receive a notification every time an album by any of your countless favorites is added to the database, and another notification when the album is released. This means that roughly 25% of our server's computing power is already used exclusively for your personal entertainment. More free service for a non-paying member is not included in our budget.
----
signatures = SPAM
06.11.2023 - 22:26
Nejde
CommunityManager
^This is hilarious
28.12.2023 - 13:10
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
On a sleepness night I was wondering if we could turn MS into a social media, where users can follow each other and receive notifications when a friend "adds an album to collection", "rates an album", "favorite (rates 9 or 10)", "posts comment in forum", "posts list" etc...
----
28.12.2023 - 13:13
Redel
Written by Ansercanagicus on 28.12.2023 at 13:10

On a sleepness night I was wondering if we could turn MS into a social media, where users can follow each other and receive notifications when a friend "adds an album to collection", "rates an album", "favorite (rates 9 or 10)", "posts comment in forum", "posts list" etc...

Oh how much I wish that this is never going to happen.
28.12.2023 - 14:18
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
Written by Redel on 28.12.2023 at 13:13

Oh how much I wish that this is never going to happen.

yeah, I should have slept instead
----
03.02.2024 - 15:56
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
Here's one for February : Being able to see the cover art when doing a write-in for best cover art
----