Metal Storm logo
Funeral doom

Original post

Posted by Damnated, 19.05.2006 - 08:49
One of the most underground style's of metal, with very talented bands. I have been listening to a lot of funeral doom lately, and I really like it. The slowness and the atmosphere is just amazing. My fav bands from this genre would be Shape Of Despair, Nortt, Worship, Remembrence, Pantheist, Tyranny, Skepticism, just to mention the daily bands. What about you guys?
25.07.2006 - 19:23
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by the stranger on 25.07.2006 at 05:22

It seems that nobody that has posted on the thread knows Somnium Mortuum. This band totally kicks ass, it's among the best funeral bands imo. On www.doom-metal.com they describe it as a mix between Shape of Despair, Pantheist & Empyrium, which I find to be one of the best descriptions of this band. It's a solo project like a lot of funeral acts. It's awesome, everybody that likes funeral doom should definitely check this band out.
Another thing I want to say, is that funeral doom also takes it's name from the band Funeral, which was one of the first to play this style.

Somnium Mortuum has some funeral doom elements, but I find it to be more atmospheric ambient, but indeed, a good band. But the first bands to play funeral doom was Skepticism and Thergothon, Funeral came later on; I really don't know, though, if the genre name comes from the band 'Funeral', and I doubt it. It's named from the funeral atmosphere of the music; but maybe I'm wrong on this one
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
25.07.2006 - 20:05
Damnated
Churchburner
I found 4 Uncertainty Principle albums on the net, you can download them for free. I wouldn't call this funeral doom, but it has some elements, and worth cheking out. link
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
25.07.2006 - 22:40
the stranger
Written by Damnated on 25.07.2006 at 19:23

It seems that nobody that has posted on the thread knows Somnium Mortuum. This band totally kicks ass, it's among the best funeral bands imo. On www.doom-metal.com they describe it as a mix between Shape of Despair, Pantheist & Empyrium, which I find to be one of the best descriptions of this band. It's a solo project like a lot of funeral acts. It's awesome, everybody that likes funeral doom should definitely check this band out.
Another thing I want to say, is that funeral doom also takes it's name from the band Funeral, which was one of the first to play this style.

Somnium Mortuum has some funeral doom elements, but I find it to be more atmospheric ambient, but indeed, a good band. But the first bands to play funeral doom was Skepticism and Thergothon, Funeral came later on; I really don't know, though, if the genre name comes from the band 'Funeral', and I doubt it. It's named from the funeral atmosphere of the music; but maybe I'm wrong on this one

I probably shouldn't have said it so straight forward that the name comes after the band, but anyway, it's one of the "theories" why it is named funeral doom and not something elses. Hence nobody had said, I was just pointing it.
I also agree that Somnium Mortuum is not entirely funeral doom, but the elements it has are pretty easy to catch.
26.07.2006 - 19:04
Azhidahak
Doom Metal Eliti
Elite

Ummm, no thats not really true. Skepticism is the band who first played this style and also the band that came up with this genre/style. People listened to their music and thought it reminded them of "funeral atmoshpere" and thats how this genre got its name from.

EDIT: just saw your new post...
----
26.07.2006 - 20:48
heresiarch
Forever Dead
I think that Thergothon was even earlier in this genre
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
26.07.2006 - 21:06
Azhidahak
Doom Metal Eliti
Elite
Written by heresiarch on 26.07.2006 at 20:48

Not really. Thergothon was perhaps one of the very first bands to go into this DIRECTION, but skepticism was the first band to play PURE funeral doom. What Thergothon played was more like a slower version of death/doom which did play a big part in the start of this style, but what they played cant fully be categorised as funeral doom.
----
26.07.2006 - 21:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Azhidahak on 26.07.2006 at 21:06

Written by heresiarch on 26.07.2006 at 20:48

Not really. Thergothon was perhaps one of the very first bands to go into this DIRECTION, but skepticism was the first band to play PURE funeral doom. What Thergothon played was more like a slower version of death/doom which did play a big part in the start of this style, but what they played cant fully be categorised as funeral doom.

About Thergothon thay had realiset only one album and some demos but Scepticism still has active and has 3-4 albums,
About genres, i dont know so good history of each gere, even dont know how translkate furneal whne come beck from Walhalla I lock at dictonary but when bands starp play diferent music gow other people journalusts thinking how call new ganre, adn probobly when Thergothon nobody dont even know how to call this ganre, same whit Black Sabbath then it wa sheavy metal, now early works we call doom

Hawe you hear band from Sweded Doomvs and album ''Aeternum Vale'' 2006, ist this year album, my not friend, people who I know get it, (here in sweden= and probobly he gives me it listen .)
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.07.2006 - 23:09
Dyscolia
Account deleted
Doomvs is a great band, although they are slightly less heavy than majority of other funeral bands. Its a more funeralistic and slow version of Draconian imo, since its a side project of one of the guitarists if im not mistaken. For fans of Shape of Despair i would like to recommend the band Iniquitous. It has only released one demo, one song, and you can find it on http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=24299 Personally I think it is brilliant. Hear it
31.07.2006 - 00:01
Vunts
Written by [user id=15272] on 30.07.2006 at 23:09
...For fans of Shape of Despair i would like to recommend the band Iniquitous. It has only released one demo, one song, and you can find it on http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=24299 Personally I think it is brilliant. Hear it

I think it is a great song. I see myself listening to it quite a many times in the upcoming days.
01.08.2006 - 01:50
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by [user id=15272] on 30.07.2006 at 23:09

It has only released one demo, one song, and you can find it on http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=24299 Personally I think it is brilliant. Hear it

Yes, this band is good, but I just can't get my hands on the other two demos.
----

01.08.2006 - 15:09
Damnated
Churchburner
Amaranthine Trampler's demo is free to download here. The music is very atmospheric, something like UDOM, worth giving them a listen.
----

01.08.2006 - 16:39
lordz
IzZo
Hey guys did anyone hear of a band called Fungoid Stream??? I just listened to a song called THe Book from the their Celaenus Fragments album... its so fuck'n amazing...
01.08.2006 - 20:00
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by lordz on 01.08.2006 at 16:39

Hey guys did anyone hear of a band called Fungoid Stream??? I just listened to a song called THe Book from the their Celaenus Fragments album... its so fuck'n amazing...

yes, this band is awsome, they have only one album yet, but I hope they will release more. I love the Lovecraft influence they have in their music.
----

02.08.2006 - 13:25
lordz
IzZo
@Damnated
do you know any other underground bands that sound like them?
if you have some websites that would be awsome !!
02.08.2006 - 14:12
Damnated
Churchburner
Well, the band is quite original, but try Until Death Overtakes Me. The music is similar in the way, that both bands use ambient elements in their muzic. They have 2 free albums to download here.

But don't listen to it much, as the music loses it's beauty after a while.
----

03.08.2006 - 14:20
Dyscolia
Account deleted
Anyone heard of Fall of The Grey-Winged One? Very similar to Until death overtakes me (its a side project of the man behind UDOM), I recommend hehe. How come noone mentioned Evoken yet? They can be considered funeral doom, no?
03.08.2006 - 16:33
Damnated
Churchburner
Fall of The Grey is similar to UDOM, cuz in both projects you hear a lot of ambient stuff. But Fall of The Grey is clearly a drone band. Evoken is an interesting band, they use plenty of funeral elements, but I don't see them as funeral doom.

Esoteric is another band that I found very interesting, and I'm not shure, if they are funeral doom, or not.
----

03.08.2006 - 17:06
Zombie, M.D.
It seems wrong posting about this band in the melodic forum of all places, but has anyone heard the new Wormphlegm?
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
03.08.2006 - 23:01
Dyscolia
Account deleted
I agree it is very hard to define Esoteric's style, but I would consider them as Funeral Doom. Their music is utterly depressive, not simpy melancholic or sad. The band is unique imo, songs like The Secret of the Secret are beyond any literary description, experience it for yourselves. Might as well mention another band called Celestiial ( sorry if it has been mentioned already ) Their songs have a very nice atmosphere, not like any I have met before ( they use a lot of jungle/animal background noises hehe)
04.08.2006 - 00:35
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by [user id=15272] on 03.08.2006 at 23:01

Might as well mention another band called Celestiial ( sorry if it has been mentioned already ) Their songs have a very nice atmosphere, not like any I have met before ( they use a lot of jungle/animal background noises hehe)

I heard of them, but nothing from yhem, sounds interesting, wht do you recommend?
----

04.08.2006 - 00:59
Dyscolia
Account deleted
Well if im not mistaken they have only released their first cd this year, not counting the demo (which im not familiar with) so try get your hands on their cd, its called Desolate North, it has lots of ambient elements to it and the average song length is about 8 - 10 mins. Check it out
04.08.2006 - 22:32
Götter
Elite
The new Wormphlegm seems a possible winner for 2006. It's indeed awesome beyond words. If I know anything of such things, then this album will go down in doom metal history.

As for Esoteric, I would only consider their last two albums to be funeral doom.
05.08.2006 - 16:21
lordz
IzZo
Written by Damnated on 02.08.2006 at 14:12

Well, the band is quite original, but try Until Death Overtakes Me. The music is similar in the way, that both bands use ambient elements in their muzic. They have 2 free albums to download here.

Just finshed downloading.... the band is good but you were right about it losing the beauty cuz I can see that happening
05.08.2006 - 18:00
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by lordz on 05.08.2006 at 16:21

Written by Damnated on 02.08.2006 at 14:12

Just finshed downloading.... the band is good but you were right about it losing the beauty cuz I can see that happening

Still, try to get the other releases aswell, they are better, Prelude To Monolith is the best one IMO
----

05.08.2006 - 18:40
lordz
IzZo
@Damnated
Cool... Ill check it out....
thanx dude

@Zombie, M.D.
thats a wiered but funny ass pic you got there where did you get it from??
24.08.2006 - 17:03
Götter
Elite
DOOM:VS - Aeternum Vale is one hell of an album. It's been a while since such a great emotional funeral/death doom album has been released. Okay, Consummatum Est's debut from last year matches up, but that's about it.

Highly recommended for sad moments.
26.08.2006 - 23:43
Windshear
Account deleted
Does Disembowlment count as Funeral?

aside from that I've only heard stuff from Shape of Despair and early Deinonychus
27.08.2006 - 11:41
Götter
Elite
Written by [user id=15907] on 26.08.2006 at 23:43

Does Disembowlment count as Funeral?

aside from that I've only heard stuff from Shape of Despair and early Deinonychus

diSEMBOWELMENT is not funeral doom, and Deinonychus is even less so.
02.09.2006 - 09:28
Crow_Princess
Written by Bad English on 15.07.2006 at 19:13

Written by 4look4rd on 15.07.2006 at 19:02

Funeral Doom metal is amazing, the atmosphere that the bands create, you can acctually feel the music, Shape of Despair is one of my fav bands, the only thing band about Funeral Doom metal is that its 2 undergroud, you cant find much about it, specially if you live here in the US ='(

Man furneal doom are how BM was in early 90ties, its underground and I think its good for it, but only so long I f we can get some CD and sounds of bands, if itys underground so deep that good band has realised only 10 tales and nobody dont know where to get
Man in Latvia nobody dont know even that that fureal doom exist, here well in USA etliest someone knows about it

Heey, I know!!! Don't think that you're the only one....
And I know one guy who knows a lot avout Funeral Doom.
----
*I have made a decision... I will live until W-Lash allows me to die... :love:*
02.09.2006 - 09:51
Crow_Princess
I would recommend Fallen (Norway).. this band is amazing.... They play awesome Funeral Doom...
And Tyranny, Ahab, Reclusiam, Night Must Fall, Ataraxie.
----
*I have made a decision... I will live until W-Lash allows me to die... :love:*