Metal Storm logo
The easiest genre to get into

Original post

Posted by The Alchemist, 22.03.2007 - 05:18
As opposite to the thread: the most difficult genre to get into, I'd be interesting to see your opinions on this issue.
Imo, getting into a genre deppends of the music we listen to, besides Metal and what we search in Metal, for example: I got really easy into Gothic Metal because I was interested in the dark side of music, life, art... and I got really interested in the gothic culture for some time.
So, imo, the easiest genre to get into would be Power or Heavy, I can't decide which is the easiest one
18.05.2007 - 12:56
Vulture
Account deleted
Well, I agree with Alchemist, that it is so easy to get into Gothic metal, because gothic music is melodic, little bit dark and with female vocals. Usually it is hard to get into death metal because of those deep growlings, but here!! Vuala, like a surprise. Female's voice is so attractive, and I think that this is the reason because it's very easy to get into Gothic metal.
18.05.2007 - 13:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Bad English on 18.05.2007 at 11:22

Written by Urizen367 on 29.04.2007 at 00:44

i'd say thrash metal. cause it's pretty much like all the genres put together, in some way or another

I dont agree in nowdays its not so easy get into thrash in 80ties yes it was but now its to brutal for all and I dunno if some who ha sno extreme metal experiance can get into it

I disagree with you here, in the 80s thrash was the most brutal form of metal around so then it was hard to get into because no-one was used to that sort of harshness and brutality nowadays thrash isn't more violent than back in the 80s and now there are so many more harder, more vicious and more brutal sorts of metal that thrash is really easy to get into in comparison.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.05.2007 - 14:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.05.2007 at 13:32

Written by Bad English on 18.05.2007 at 11:22

Written by Urizen367 on 29.04.2007 at 00:44

i'd say thrash metal. cause it's pretty much like all the genres put together, in some way or another

I dont agree in nowdays its not so easy get into thrash in 80ties yes it was but now its to brutal for all and I dunno if some who ha sno extreme metal experiance can get into it

I disagree with you here, in the 80s thrash was the most brutal form of metal around so then it was hard to get into because no-one was used to that sort of harshness and brutality nowadays thrash isn't more violent than back in the 80s and now there are so many more harder, more vicious and more brutal sorts of metal that thrash is really easy to get into in comparison.

I dont think so, for me I can get easye rin 80tie sthrash but nowdays I dunno for example i dont like nowdays Exodus speecly last albums, but I can listen almoust all from 80ties

Alos in those days it was something new and for young ppl it was COOL nowdays there can not be any new genres in metal i dont see it and its only My IMO I can get easyer into 80ties thrash, I start whit it when i was jounger almoust all Bay Area thrash bands

@vulture about gothic Im bored explain but death metal ist like I and Marcel discuss, i can listen almoust all 8oties death bands, Posseessed, Death, Nocturnus, MA(strands for Morbid Angel not metal-archives ) , EoS, Autopsy what ever, but nowdays death metal I acn not listen it imo thay lost early DM roots
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.06.2007 - 17:16
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
I think anything catchy is easy to get into. Old school thrash was generally very catchy. Not so much the newer bands like Trivium who i just find boring. But i would have to say good quality power metal, because its catchy its not too extreme band like Blind Guardian, Kamelot, Stratovarius, Iced Earth. Progressive metal can be easy to get into as well because often its not that different to rock music certainly its not that heavy.
10.06.2007 - 09:23
villain
MORON METAL

#it is indeed the easiest to get into
#not judged by the music but through the listeners (newbies, morons)
#eg- COF, COB, Pantera, Trivium etc ..
#GO get your copy now!!! (offers last till stocks exist)
----

Suddenly........
Life has new meaning
10.06.2007 - 11:48
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
i "got into" symphonic-power metal just by hearing Ghost Love Score by Nightwish...and that's what i call simple :-)
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

26.06.2007 - 03:45
Phase
Account deleted
I found metal through power metal and suomi-like works. Sonata Arctica, mid-Sentenced and Symphony X were the first "true" metal bands for me. Linkin Park and Evanescence were the only bands that I liked before being introduced to the three mentioned above, so I was already slightly accustomed to symphonic effects and strange set ups, relatively.
Today though, I find that Progressive bands are incredibly easy to get into. Love good dynamics and thought out lyrics.
~
26.06.2007 - 05:17
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
I think oldschool thrash is probably the easiest, esspecially Metallica, Megadeth, Testment, Exodus, Anthrax, Death Angel and Suicidal Tendancies... these bands play catchy music, with i high degree of tallent behind them... Long live metal
26.06.2007 - 10:31
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Yea, I agree on Thrash, even do my opinion is only partially objective. I know that Sepultura was one of the first bands I ever got to (and this happened when I was like 15 and all over HIM, so yea, you can imagine.... I must have found Sepultura really impressive) and I just got the feeling thrash is like a harsh, more br00tal, more loud and of course faster version of hard rock. That was my first impression and that's why I liked it I guess. I think it's a whole lot easier to get into thrash than other extreme genres (death, black).

Considering the melodic branch of metal I don't really know... I only like gothic metal, which is pretty easy get into if one has a tendency towards dark music. I know I got into gothic metal so that I was first into punk, then post punk, then gothic and death rock and then gothic metal.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
29.06.2007 - 22:54
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Probably Thrash, out ov all the metal sub-genres that are true/real metal, isn't that the one which people usually get into first
30.06.2007 - 08:39
Torture Killer
Account deleted
Hair metal, I mean just about everybody loves has loved Guns N Roses or Quiet Riot or Motley Crue
30.06.2007 - 17:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=24315] on 30.06.2007 at 08:39

Hair metal, I mean just about everybody loves has loved Guns N Roses or Quiet Riot or Motley Crue

No I don't Guns and Roses ahs some decent songs but most hair metal is total crap IMO.

I would say the easiest genre to get into is european power metal and that giothicy symphonic female fronted metal.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.06.2007 - 22:54
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
@Marcel:
Hey I take offense to that!
But really the easiest genre to get into is straight up heavy metal, why? because you dont really even need to 'Get into it', its pretty much just already there. Most metalheads I talk to tell me they liked the Black Sabbath (greatest hits atleast) even before they even considered getting into metal. Even non-metal types like alot of heavy metal bands.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
03.07.2007 - 02:44
Varegan
Hamranakara
most of people begin listening to metal with melodic metal bands. when a music is melodic is easier to understand.
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)

03.07.2007 - 02:54
OneWithMisery
Ugh...since I pay a lot of atention to lyrics I like Sentenced which are qualified as suicidal metal.....otherwise, the first genre that atracted me was death.
----
Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'till it goes CLICK!
03.07.2007 - 05:44
Account deleted
Most people in the US pay attention to Metalcore. So the most "accessible" form of metal is probably metalcore or nu-metal.
03.07.2007 - 11:26
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
For me it is probably one of my favourite genres, Symphonic Power Metal (Stratovarius, Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, Rhapsody, Edenbridge, Dragonland). This genre pulls influences from classical and even pop influences, which makes it quite broad. The high amount of female vocals create a comfort zone for female listeners, i mean there is clearly more female metal heads since the large increase of female fronted metal.

Having said this, it really depends on your location, i mean here in Australia, underground Metal is growing, yet still very small, so the easiest genre here is still your old school thrash/nu metal.
03.07.2007 - 12:01
OneWithMisery
Written by [user id=24669] on 03.07.2007 at 05:44

Most people in the US pay attention to Metalcore. So the most "accessible" form of metal is probably metalcore or nu-metal.

Nu-metal is not a form of metal! It has nothing to do with metal what so ever!!
----
Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'till it goes CLICK!
03.07.2007 - 12:28
Freezer
I'd say power and heavy, but obviously it depends on the band and the album
----
We fly through this godless endeavor, we try to explain the black forever
03.07.2007 - 19:17
Account deleted
Written by OneWithMisery on 03.07.2007 at 12:01

Of course it's metal. It may not be as extreme as other genres, but it's still metal. Just because you don't like that genre doesn't make it something that it's not. Just because someone doesn't like Soft Rock doesn't mean that it's not Rock.
03.07.2007 - 19:38
OneWithMisery
Written by [user id=24669] on 03.07.2007 at 19:17

Of course it's metal. It may not be as extreme as other genres, but it's still metal. Just because you don't like that genre doesn't make it something that it's not. Just because someone doesn't like Soft Rock doesn't mean that it's not Rock.

And which part of it is the metal part? I read a music article/critic about nu-metal.. I quote:"Nu-metal has nothing to do with actual metal music, because metal requests talent and skills, members have to master their instruments, and the singer has to have proper voice, depending on the genre of metal the band is playing. Does nu-metal have amazing solos? No...but it has a DJ." I'm not gonna argue, I just don't see any metal characteristics in nu-metal.
----
03.07.2007 - 19:47
Account deleted
Written by OneWithMisery on 03.07.2007 at 19:38

And which part of it is the metal part? I read a music article/critic about nu-metal.. I quote:"Nu-metal has nothing to do with actual metal music, because metal requests talent and skills, members have to master their instruments, and the singer has to have proper voice, depending on the genre of metal the band is playing. Does nu-metal have amazing solos? No...but it has a DJ." I'm not gonna argue, I just don't see any metal characteristics in nu-metal.

You are overlooking the particulars in favor of your musical tastes. Let's see. There are distorted, drop tuned guitars, bass, drums, and a singer, sometimes even a keyboard player. That critic you quoted gave a horrible description of nu-metal, or any kind of music for that matter. Just because members in a nu-metal band didn't master their instruments, or because they don't play solos, or because the singer sucks hardly makes it "not metal". Sloppy music is still music. Punk is considered a legitimate form of Rock, but why? The band members did not master their instruments, and the singers, most of the time (if you listen to true punk) suck. Just because nu-metal is a softer form of metal that was hijacked by the media and the mallcore kids doesn't make it what it isn't. Personally, I hate nu-metal, but I still acknowledge it as a legitimate form of metal.
03.07.2007 - 20:01
OneWithMisery
Written by [user id=24669] on 03.07.2007 at 19:47

You are overlooking the particulars in favor of your musical tastes. Let's see. There are distorted, drop tuned guitars, bass, drums, and a singer, sometimes even a keyboard player. That critic you quoted gave a horrible description of nu-metal, or any kind of music for that matter. Just because members in a nu-metal band didn't master their instruments, or because they don't play solos, or because the singer sucks hardly makes it "not metal". Sloppy music is still music. Punk is considered a legitimate form of Rock, but why? The band members did not master their instruments, and the singers, most of the time (if you listen to true punk) suck. Just because nu-metal is a softer form of metal that was hijacked by the media and the mallcore kids doesn't make it what it isn't. Personally, I hate nu-metal, but I still acknowledge it as a legitimate form of metal.

Ok, I actually think you're right here..it has a lot to do with my personal taste and prejudice..I started listening to metal about 10 years ago. When nu-metal was first brought up, "trOO" metal bands started this all anti-numetal propaganda, so that's probably why I dislike nu-metal and have disliked it from its start. And it became very "mainstream," too MTV for me.
See, you made me think about it, I'll do that more often before I open my mouth
----
03.07.2007 - 20:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by OneWithMisery on 03.07.2007 at 20:01

And it became very "mainstream," too MTV for me.

It always cracks me up when I see this argument being used when it comes to nu-metal. Because guess what? Back in the eighties Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and a load of of thrash bands were also on MTV heavy rotation and were considered mainstream.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.07.2007 - 20:52
OneWithMisery
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.07.2007 at 20:15

It always cracks me up when I see this argument being used when it comes to nu-metal. Because guess what? Back in the eighties Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and a load of of thrash bands were also on MTV heavy rotation and were considered mainstream.

I'm not talking about the eightees..besides, a lot of death/trash/etc metal bands now are considered mainstream event though they're not even close to MTV (except Headbangers ball maybe), but people talk about them as mainstream just because they play music in the way, that attracts a lot of people. For example, I read that Children of Bodom are mainstream, because they have mainly young audience, Trivium are mainstream because they make music that is just "too likable," and so on--And I don't even like their music, I simply made an example. But they're not being played on TV in the midle of the day, right after Britney Spears, and they still sell records, and have a very loyal audience. I never said that bands you have in mind aren't or weren't mainstream, but I never said I'm listening to them, either. Just to close to whole thing, I don't like nu-metal, I don't like metalcore, I don't like so called metal bands that were soooo hard and so trOO, and now they've sold out their asses for bigger profit.
----
03.07.2007 - 22:01
MadGatsu
Written by OneWithMisery on 03.07.2007 at 20:52

I'm not talking about the eightees..besides, a lot of death/trash/etc metal bands now are considered mainstream event though they're not even close to MTV (except Headbangers ball maybe), but people talk about them as mainstream just because they play music in the way, that attracts a lot of people. For example, I read that Children of Bodom are mainstream, because they have mainly young audience, Trivium are mainstream because they make music that is just "too likable," and so on--And I don't even like their music, I simply made an example. But they're not being played on TV in the midle of the day, right after Britney Spears, and they still sell records, and have a very loyal audience. I never said that bands you have in mind aren't or weren't mainstream, but I never said I'm listening to them, either. Just to close to whole thing, I don't like nu-metal, I don't like metalcore, I don't like so called metal bands that were soooo hard and so trOO, and now they've sold out their asses for bigger profit.

I dont really give a crap about this mainstream and nu-metal argument cuz its just plain stupid (sorry but thats my opinion) I just would like to add that what most ppl think as "sell out", probably what the band has done is "saved their asses from indiference and falling into the unknown even again". Whenever i hear "zomg! band x sold out and stuff!" When you ask the person if they heard the last "sold out" album, many ppl say "no i didnt, but my friend told me/i heard somewhere that they sold their asses and i dont wanna hear them anymore", and yet the album might be as good as before or better. Just because now they make more videoclips, or altered a bit their way of playing. Oh come on now, are ppl this superficial? :
----
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
03.07.2007 - 22:09
Burning Oasis
Account deleted
Hmm, well. I didn't get into it through the 'easiest' way, I got into it through 80s thrash & folk.
I think that the easiest way to get into metal is definitely through power metal, just because it can range so much to fit the interests of nearly anybody. Although, my tool for recruiting my little brother into it is Anthrax, hahaha, and it's working pretty damn well.
03.07.2007 - 22:18
Account deleted
See, you made me think about it, I'll do that more often before I open my mouth

My work here is done.
03.07.2007 - 22:30
OneWithMisery
Written by MadGatsu on 03.07.2007 at 22:01

Written by OneWithMisery on 03.07.2007 at 20:52

I dont really give a crap about this mainstream and nu-metal argument cuz its just plain stupid (sorry but thats my opinion) I just would like to add that what most ppl think as "sell out", probably what the band has done is "saved their asses from indiference and falling into the unknown even again". Whenever i hear "zomg! band x sold out and stuff!" When you ask the person if they heard the last "sold out" album, many ppl say "no i didnt, but my friend told me/i heard somewhere that they sold their asses and i dont wanna hear them anymore", and yet the album might be as good as before or better. Just because now they make more videoclips, or altered a bit their way of playing. Oh come on now, are ppl this superficial? :

Who said that I don't listen to some bands because my friends say that they've sold out?? I don't listen to what I think it sucks- Metallica sold their ass, didn't they? St. Anger sucks big time, it's not even close to what they were playing before. So why should I listen to them? Don't even get it started with me.. I just said, that I don't appreciate bands, that were considering themselves trOO metal, and then went mainstream or even metalcore just to make more money and get more publicity. Metal is supposed to be about music, not about money. And the bands that were claming for years that music is what counts, changed their music genre, so larger amount of audience would like them. Pathetic. Sold out. Pure and simple.
----
03.07.2007 - 22:34
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by [user id=19717] on 03.07.2007 at 22:09

Although, my tool for recruiting my little brother into it is Anthrax, hahaha, and it's working pretty damn well.

I think recruiting someone younger in metal is the highest point one can achieve in a person that's growing up I got my lil cousin into metal through Amon Amarth. He hated it at first when I had my AA era after With Oden... came out and now he's addicted. I'm so proud of that little spoiled brat
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.