Metal Storm logo
Favorite Black Metal Vocalist

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 07.06.2006 - 00:00
Here's my post from this thread straight outta the old forums

For the poll I picked who I thought would be the more popular choices, I'm sure we'll get alot of "others" though.
Anyways, this was a hard one for me. Black Metal vocals are probably my favorite type of vocals in all it's different styles...but overall my favorite is probably Nocturno Culto. Absolutely countless vocalists have modeled themselves ater him and for good reason. He's the spokesboy of BM vocals and has a truly chilling sound to his voice. Attila was a close second for me, he has one hell of a creepy voice too. Varg as well. Who's yours??

Poll

Who's your favorite?

Other (who?)
Abbath (Immortal)
Ihsahn (Emperor)
Varg Vikernes (Burzum)
Nocturno Culto (Darkthrone)
Quorthon (Bathory)
Attila Csihar (Mayhem)
Legion (Marduk)
Maniac (ex-Mayhem)

Total votes: 299
02.12.2006 - 04:10
Daru Jericho
Just wanted to point out that from the Tormentor I've heard, Atilla sounds better there than on Mayhem
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

04.12.2006 - 15:40
Sunioj
I think I would choose Ihsahn,
Even the clean vocals on the more recent Emperor albums is not bad, but he has my favorite BM voice. Other than that its Abbath, I love his classic voice.
07.12.2006 - 12:35
Katatronik
Angel of Lust
I voted Ihsahn, but I was undecided between Ihsahn and Varg, cause the angry sadness of the Burzum's voice is very impressive in my opinion...
But Ihsahn has great screaming, a very good clean voice and a brilliant sense for the songs' interpretation, I love his style!
----

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear,
and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
Howard Phillips Lovecraft
07.12.2006 - 21:18
Rimfrost
Abbath has an unique voice and so have Varg, but I have to go for Abbath here, though I really like Vargs voice, especially on Filosofem and Hvis lyset....
Maniac sounds like crap, I don't like Ishahn's vocals either, though I am a fan of Emperor. Nocturno Culto is great and so is Attilas work on DMDS.
07.12.2006 - 22:50
Sunioj
Written by Rimfrost on 07.12.2006 at 21:18

Maniac sounds like crap,

Jah, just listen to Medoliam capta est, Maniacs voice was making my ears bleed!
07.12.2006 - 23:10
Vipera
Account deleted
Famine from Peste Noire, for his sick high-pitched screams.

So, I'm voting other. But from the list, I'd choose Ihsahn.
18.01.2007 - 01:14
Ultraraw
Account deleted
My favorite black metal vocalist is Varg Vikernes.I am a fan of Burzum
18.01.2007 - 01:24
chuckie
Account deleted
I really like that crow sounding almost witch cackle kinda scream satyr does on the 1st few satyricon albums.....Ihsahn is a close second.....
also a 3rd, Nergals BM vocals were good (most of the time).
18.01.2007 - 04:08
APOHAKC
The Bard
Nocturno Culto never sang in Darkthone, Fenriz do
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
18.01.2007 - 06:02
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Damn, I posted ages ago when I was new to black metal and I voted for Quorthon. I have since changed my mid. I like Varg and Attila the best. Varg is better than Attila though. You can feel the pain in Varg's voice, his screams of anguish are just incredible. Especially on Filosofem. Attila is good because his vocals are unique and like nothing that I've ever heard in black metal.
18.01.2007 - 09:40
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
Abbath is one of the few good vocalists in this genre, definitely my fave out of the ones I like, because a.) It's decipherable. b.) It's not depressing and miserable like most I have heard.
18.01.2007 - 14:25
Warman
Erotic Stains
I've changed my mind, I said Shagrath before. Now that I discovered Emperor a while ago I find Ihsahn's voice to be awesome! I voted for him.
----
19.01.2007 - 01:00
Himann
Orm KrigGud
My vote was other. I was hoping to see Dead there or I may have voted for him. Some people said Maniac sucks a bit earlier; I would have agreed if not for his work on Deathcrush. Killer imo... There were a few I like on this list as well like Varg, Quorthon(RIP) and obviously the one and only Nocturno Culto(was very tempting to choose him). There are a couple of others like Nattramn of Silencer and Dead who I like a bit more though. Sad that none of Gorgoroth vocalists made it to the list lol..
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
19.01.2007 - 01:03
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Written by Daru Jericho on 02.12.2006 at 04:10

Just wanted to point out that from the Tormentor I've heard, Atilla sounds better there than on Mayhem

Yeah I feel the same way. Also Gaahl sounds awesome in Gaahlskagg but not as killer in Gorgoroth. Atilla takes some getting used to though but once you get the gist of it, its great. DMDS is still an awesome listen no matter how many times I've heard it before..
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
20.01.2007 - 03:51
Daru Jericho
I always thought Gaahl's Gorgoroth vocals were excellent and convincing.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

20.01.2007 - 15:13
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
This poll has forgotten Emperor Magus Caligula (Dark Funeral) and many other BM vocalists... This would have been better as a discussion thread rather than a poll.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
20.01.2007 - 17:46
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Paganblood on 20.01.2007 at 15:13

This poll has forgotten Emperor Magus Caligula (Dark Funeral) and many other BM vocalists... This would have been better as a discussion thread rather than a poll.

He is not forgotten, its just that he isnt included because he is very boring. He lacks feeling and variation. Dark Funeral in general is a BM band generic to the core. Thus he is not mentioned here.
20.01.2007 - 21:00
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Written by Daru Jericho on 20.01.2007 at 03:51

Well I personally felt that he didn't live up to the expectations after Hat and Pest. These guys did amazing things with Gorgoroth's new album. I however liked Gaahl's vocals a lot more in Gaahlskagg. They didn't do the same thing for me in Gorgoroth..
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
21.01.2007 - 00:36
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Himann on 20.01.2007 at 21:00

Written by Daru Jericho on 20.01.2007 at 03:51

Well I personally felt that he didn't live up to the expectations after Hat and Pest. These guys did amazing things with Gorgoroth's new album. I however liked Gaahl's vocals a lot more in Gaahlskagg. They didn't do the same thing for me in Gorgoroth..

I really like Ghaals vocals on Under the sign of hell. Wich is my fav album by gorgoroth.
21.01.2007 - 06:41
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Written by [user id=5394] on 20.01.2007 at 17:46

He is not forgotten, its just that he isnt included because he is very boring. He lacks feeling and variation. Dark Funeral in general is a BM band generic to the core. Thus he is not mentioned here.

Dark Funeral generic to -core? You might call Marduk, Immortal, Kult ov Azazel, Darkthrone and many other well known Black Metal bands generic to core then! I think you're confused about what real black metal really sounds like. Old Dark Funeral albums sound PURE black metal, and new albums also sound the same, except that, from their 'The secrets of the Black Arts', their songs cointain slight keyboardish or violin-ish sound (which is played from guitars).
I don't know if you are mixing up Themgoroth and Caligula's vocals, but both of theirs vocals are quite powerful (althugh Themgoroth's work in the EP 'Dark Funeral' isn't as great as his work in other albums).
I don't believe that you have ever listened to Caligula, or at least haven't heard him properly. So, listen to 'Attera Totus Sanctus' or 'Diabolis interium' and then you'll understand what I mean; Caligula almost screams, and has a very aggressive sound, which suits the band's music well.
I didn't understand what you meant by 'variation'. If you mean he never sings in clean vocals, then you have almost no knowledge about BM vocals, I can say so.
btw Basso, as far as I remember you're the one who posted something like "I'm a poser; I don't listen to BM but pretend to listen to it" in the poser thread, isn't it? If so, you have just proved it by calling a raw BM band like Dark Funeral 'generic to core'.
----
21.01.2007 - 12:11
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Paganblood on 21.01.2007 at 06:41

Dark Funeral generic to -core? You might call Marduk, Immortal, Kult ov Azazel, Darkthrone and many other well known Black Metal bands generic to core then! I think you're confused about what real black metal really sounds like. Old Dark Funeral albums sound PURE black metal, and new albums also sound the same, except that, from their 'The secrets of the Black Arts', their songs cointain slight keyboardish or violin-ish sound (which is played from guitars).
I don't know if you are mixing up Themgoroth and Caligula's vocals, but both of theirs vocals are quite powerful (althugh Themgoroth's work in the EP 'Dark Funeral' isn't as great as his work in other albums).
I don't believe that you have ever listened to Caligula, or at least haven't heard him properly. So, listen to 'Attera Totus Sanctus' or 'Diabolis interium' and then you'll understand what I mean; Caligula almost screams, and has a very aggressive sound, which suits the band's music well.
I didn't understand what you meant by 'variation'. If you mean he never sings in clean vocals, then you have almost no knowledge about BM vocals, I can say so.
btw Basso, as far as I remember you're the one who posted something like "I'm a poser; I don't listen to BM but pretend to listen to it" in the poser thread, isn't it? If so, you have just proved it by calling a raw BM band like Dark Funeral 'generic to core'.

Haha, I respect your opinion but Dark Funeral is not raw in any aspect. I have actually heard all of Dark Funerals discography. I have also seen them live last year in mars. With the emperor Caligula guy singing. Nothing from them is really impressive at all. I must give creds for their live album though. its quite good.

And no I do not call Dark funeral generic to -core, I call them Genereic to the core. There is quite a difference.

"btw Basso, as far as I remember you're the one who posted something like "I'm a poser; I don't listen to BM but pretend to listen to it" in the poser thread, isn't it? If so, you have just proved it by calling a raw BM band like Dark Funeral 'generic to core'. "

Gosh, looks like sarcams really doesnt work on the internet.

21.01.2007 - 13:49
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Nothing all that awe inspiring from Emperor Magus Caligula in my openion. Secrets of the Black Arts was a good listen generally speaking but the vocals were quite ordinary. Don't get me wrong however, they aren't bad but there are much better stuff out there..
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
22.01.2007 - 05:31
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Written by [user id=5394] on 21.01.2007 at 12:11

Written by Paganblood on 21.01.2007 at 06:41

Haha, I respect your opinion but Dark Funeral is not raw in any aspect. I have actually heard all of Dark Funerals discography. I have also seen them live last year in mars. With the emperor Caligula guy singing. Nothing from them is really impressive at all. I must give creds for their live album though. its quite good.

And no I do not call Dark funeral generic to -core, I call them Genereic to the core. There is quite a difference.

"btw Basso, as far as I remember you're the one who posted something like "I'm a poser; I don't listen to BM but pretend to listen to it" in the poser thread, isn't it? If so, you have just proved it by calling a raw BM band like Dark Funeral 'generic to core'. "

Gosh, looks like sarcams really doesnt work on the internet.

Well, liking and disliking a particular musician/band depends upon personal opinions isn't it? So, we differ here; anyway, no problem.
Please explain me what 'generic to core' is.
'Gosh, looks like sarcams really doesnt work on the internet.' I didn't understand this either.
Dark Funeral are raw; maybe their 'keyboardish' or 'violinish' sound confused you and made you think that they aren't raw.
----
22.01.2007 - 16:34
Basso
Account deleted
Generic to THE core,what I mean by saying that is that they are very uninspiering and uninstressting, since they basicly repeat the same formula with all their songs ( I know many BM bands do this but they could atleast tried to make them different). (Note : I do not compare theese guys to any X-core acts if that is what you are thinking of.)

What I meant about the sarcasm part is: I wrote that in the poser-thread with sarcasm and irony as a thought. But as we can see sarcasm and irony is not something everybody understand. (especially on the internet where you cant read the writers facial experssion etc...)

Dark Funeral is not "raw Black metal" because they dont have a raw production. The production they use (especially on their later releases) is almost crystal clear, which obviously is not raw. An example of a raw BM band would be Peste Noire or darkthrone, since they both use filthy and raw production.
They can have keyboardish or violinish sound or whatever that doesnt change the fact that their production and music is not raw.

But lets put up a truce now and get back on topic. We might be stealing a little to much forum space

Thanks for the discussion, if you want to we can continue in private.
23.01.2007 - 01:11
lazarus
From those that are listed there I'd choose Abbath, however I think Beelzebub's vocals are the best in the black metal scene. Most of the Mystic first works show the intensity and "evilness" on Beelsebub's performance.
----
And sometimes I despair
At who I've become
I have to come to terms
With what I've done
23.01.2007 - 08:40
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Written by [user id=5394] on 22.01.2007 at 16:34

Generic to THE core,what I mean by saying that is that they are very uninspiering and uninstressting, since they basicly repeat the same formula with all their songs ( I know many BM bands do this but they could atleast tried to make them different). (Note : I do not compare theese guys to any X-core acts if that is what you are thinking of.)

What I meant about the sarcasm part is: I wrote that in the poser-thread with sarcasm and irony as a thought. But as we can see sarcasm and irony is not something everybody understand. (especially on the internet where you cant read the writers facial experssion etc...)

Dark Funeral is not "raw Black metal" because they dont have a raw production. The production they use (especially on their later releases) is almost crystal clear, which obviously is not raw. An example of a raw BM band would be Peste Noire or darkthrone, since they both use filthy and raw production.
They can have keyboardish or violinish sound or whatever that doesnt change the fact that their production and music is not raw.

But lets put up a truce now and get back on topic. We might be stealing a little to much forum space

Thanks for the discussion, if you want to we can continue in private.

To close this discussion:
One may not get the sarcasms due to the reasons you mentioned.
Conclusion of our discussion is: People have different opinions and the same thing may be looked at from positive as well as from negative point of view.
----
26.01.2007 - 14:18
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
I voted Other......and my vote goes to Nergal (Behemoth) I believe he has one of the most fascinating voice ever
----
The older I get.........The faster I was

Smurfilator -- back when Smurf Metal existed :'(
27.01.2007 - 22:00
FabricationError
Account deleted
I vote other cuz Nattefrost(Carpathian Forest) is my favourite.His voice is full of sickness that makes me feel like he is vomitting all the hate into my ears....
28.01.2007 - 12:32
Priest Of Hex
Account deleted
Simple... Nuclear Holocausto of Beherit.
28.01.2007 - 17:36
Lord Grim
Stormlord. Yeah, they're symphonic black, but it's still a subgenre of black.
----
"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary in life."